Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swenblack
Jan 14, 2004

Nifty posted:

Who wants to refer me to Marriott rewards and you earn 10k points? kevinscott.tk at gmail.com

http://joinmarriottrewards.com/Friend/US/
Referral sent. Marriott isn't a whole heck of a lot better than Hilton any more for a rewards program (I'm currently Gold with both), but the personal level of service is much better, in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Lyon posted:

True but if you look at the award chart changes it doesn't really affect the economy travel for inside the US or to Europe. I'm not on the level of some of you racking up insane amounts of miles. I flew a little over 50k and earned another 90k or so by signing up for the CC and some other bonuses.

That's almost enough for a RTW ticket in biz and definitely in coach on OneWorld.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
One thing to keep in mind is that Hilton is by far the most Union friendly of all the major hotel chains. For me, that kind of thing factors heavily into my purchasing habits. Just something to think about.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.
How did everyone do this month? Just hit 50,000, slow month for me due to lots of cancellations and reschedules of meetings.

i like Ham
Dec 25, 2006

I'm a big fancy business man. Mind if I check you'r prostate?
I took a bunch of time off from Christmas into early January so I will just be hitting 25k tomorrow. Due to destinations this year I think I will likely end up dropping off on AA and really end up focusing on skypesos. Hopefully hit DM around August to at least take advantage of the free lounge access for part of the year.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I am at 11k. Hoping to get to San Diego this month, everything else right now looks like it will be virtual unfortunately.

Got to Barcelona and Boston, so only two trips but high mileage on the one. Did anyone else get to go anywhere exciting?

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

Lyon posted:

I am at 11k. Hoping to get to San Diego this month, everything else right now looks like it will be virtual unfortunately.

Got to Barcelona and Boston, so only two trips but high mileage on the one. Did anyone else get to go anywhere exciting?

Nothing fun here except for 90 zillion SF trips. Costa Rica and Ecuador next month, though.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
all my coworkers get to go to europe, meanwhile I am stuck back in the office. oh well home every night isnt so bad. tries not to think about all the per diem money I am missing out on..

Buckhead
Aug 12, 2005

___ days until the 2010 trade deadline :(
I'm on a trans contential Delta flight right now and my overhead light isn't working. Reading is the only thing I really enjoy doing on flights. I'm going to go crazy before we hit Nebraska aghhhh

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Just got 25K on Star Alliance on a month-long trip, only thing I've done so far this year.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Belldandy posted:

How did everyone do this month? Just hit 50,000, slow month for me due to lots of cancellations and reschedules of meetings.
50k actual miles (EQM/PQM/MQM/.etc) flown this month?

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Small White Dragon posted:

Yeah Belldandy has the craziest schedule of all of us (so far). He said he does roughly 250k/yr so 50k in two months makes sense.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

I just got bumped up to HH Gold by my work, pretty sweet for nothing!

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Small White Dragon posted:

Yeah, 50k EQM.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
drat, I'm at 25K and I was feelin' like a baller.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Lyon posted:

Yeah Belldandy has the craziest schedule of all of us (so far). He said he does roughly 250k/yr so 50k in two months makes sense.
And here I thought my 100k miles/year was impressive.

(Combined business and pleasure, I log maybe 80k+ miles but often tack on a few status runs because top-tier status is awesome.)

TheLizard
Oct 27, 2004

I am the Lizard Queen!
I did almost nothing. It was awesome. One day trip to NY on Acela.

The Penn Station Acela lounge makes it all worthwhile.

Waroen
Jun 23, 2006
Fuck Jesus and Fuck Shoes!!
Have Never had any problems flying for business and woke up this morning at 5:45 for a 6am flight for a personal trip.

Needless to say I'm still getting to my destination just a few hours later and have to endure EWR, can't believe I flat out missed a flight, haven't done that in a long long time.

i like Ham
Dec 25, 2006

I'm a big fancy business man. Mind if I check you'r prostate?
Not sure how I just caught this yesterday but for anybody else unaware Starwood and Delta have partnered to offer crossover benefits starting March 1st. Basically it will give perks akin to SPG Platinum to PM and DM Delta frequent flyers, and some of the Silver Medallion benefits to SPG Platinum members. Most importantly it allows you to double dip on rewards, one SPG point per dollar spent on Delta and one mile per dollar spent at most Starwood properties. This is a huge perk for Starwood points, and pretty mediocre for Delta in my opinion. With SPG points working out 1:1 for most major airlines they tend to be about the most valuable in the rewards industry.

I was really considering dropping out of SPG and just cashing in my current points for Williams Sonoma gift cards as I tend to make better use of my HHonors points; but between the Q1 2013 promotion, more hotels starting to participate in the "green choice" program, and now this I will absolutely be maintaining SPG platinum and likely increasing my stays at Starwood properties. Perfect timing on their part as I'm sure plenty of travelers are eager to leave Hilton after the recent devaluation of HHonors.

i like Ham fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 7, 2013

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Speaking of LATAM travel, TAM has announced they are leaving StarAlliance in 2014 and joining oneWorld:

http://www.tam.com.br/b2c/vgn/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=db6b7d713672d310VgnVCM1000009508020aRCRD

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
I used to be a frequent traveler (strategy consulting), but I've been out for a little while now.

Can I match what's left of my puny *A status to 1W? They seem to have better connectivity to the middle east from SFO.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Pissingintowind posted:

I used to be a frequent traveler (strategy consulting), but I've been out for a little while now.

Can I match what's left of my puny *A status to 1W? They seem to have better connectivity to the middle east from SFO.

American will occasionally status match you but will more likely offer you a gold/platinum challenge, so if you have travel on AA coming up you can get 1W status that way.

I don't connect to the Middle East much. What are your 1W options from SFO?

kansas
Dec 3, 2012
AA is running a match program to exec plat but it required you already be either UA 1K or DL DM. Then you need to earn 25k elite qualifying points in a 90 day period.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey travel pros, help a goon out here!

I got to go to Europe for a whirlwind tour of meeting clients and attending an exhibition anyone got any suggestions on how to keep it one world (Personal mileage acrrual). Kayak refers to multiple airlines for a cheaper deal, or through Star alliance. Is that what I should go for? The company secretary has connections with tourist agents but I suspect their rates are not much cheaper.

Hong Kong -- > Venice ---> Stuttgart --- > Berlin ---> Hong Kong.

Appreciate all help!

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

caberham posted:

Hey travel pros, help a goon out here!

I got to go to Europe for a whirlwind tour of meeting clients and attending an exhibition anyone got any suggestions on how to keep it one world (Personal mileage acrrual). Kayak refers to multiple airlines for a cheaper deal, or through Star alliance. Is that what I should go for? The company secretary has connections with tourist agents but I suspect their rates are not much cheaper.

Hong Kong -- > Venice ---> Stuttgart --- > Berlin ---> Hong Kong.

Appreciate all help!

Do HKG-some *A hub and just take trains, they're more relaxing that flying.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Do HKG-some *A hub and just take trains, they're more relaxing that flying.

Really? 9 hour train ride seems like a long time, I thought flying would be cheaper and faster. It's not like Euro trains are that much cheaper compared to airberlin or some crummy airline right?

Hitting 3 cities for 2 weeks and having meetings on the weekdays doesn't seem to be too conducive to flying. But please correct me or tell me more if I'm mistaken!

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
This may be old news to most of you, but I was flying back from MSY today with my wife and was happily surprised to see that Delta has replaced their terrible safety video with a much less annoying one. I was going to punch someone if I had to see the old one again. New one is actually somewhat funny, at least the first time.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I'm 646 miles short of Silver status on Delta this year, but I've been to Puerto Rico twice and NYC once this year. Really hoping that changes soon. I need status!

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Morby posted:

I'm 646 miles short of Silver status on Delta this year, but I've been to Puerto Rico twice and NYC once this year. Really hoping that changes soon. I need status!
Some of the Delta credit cards can earn you MQM, I believe.

Mooecow
Aug 2, 2005

I'm finally earning silver status on Delta tomorrow! I only do 1,200 MQM each way so I'm stuck doing it on segments (layover in CVG or DTW). Although I fly the same route each week and it looks like they are switching over to CRJ-200s for 3 of the 4 segments.... :smithicide:

sink the biz
Jun 13, 2002

My goodness my Guinness
booked out til August. Yup

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

sink the biz posted:

booked out til August. Yup

Great choice. I like that hotel a lot and it is in a great location. Only other one that I prefer a bit more is the W DC as it is a bit more modern as opposed to classic luxury like the Fairfax.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
So I am in a complicated situation!

I am employed by Staffing Agency, working for Corporation.
Corporation sent me on 2-month business trip, which I am about 2 weeks into. A lot of cordination had to happen between my staffing agency and Corporation.

Corporation just now decided to quit using Staffing Agency A (that I work for) and to go exclusively with Staffing Agency B. All employees of Staffing Agency A will be terminated, but offered to keep their job and pay by re-employing with Agency B.
Meaning if I want to keep my job, I must re-employ and re-badge with Staffing Agency B.

But wait, I am in middle of trip cordinated by Corporation & Staffing Agency A.

So now I am loving clueless. I report expenses weekly (to Staffing Agency A that I work for) to get reimbursed, which Agency A reports to Corporation to get reimbursed.

If I re-employ with Staffing Agency B, who the gently caress pays my trip?

I'm not Agency A's responsibility if I am not working for them.

Also to be honest, I do NOT want to rebadge with Agency B. Since all this is BS to begin with and makes me hate Corporation a bit more to point that I want to quit anyway. But I'd rather not be stranded out-of-state.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

You might check with Staff A for guidance; even if the customer decides end the contract there is probably still some time before the end of the period of performance. At the very least Staff A should have had a provision that ensured any of their employees who were traveling would be covered by the Corp/Staff A contract until the end of their travel. Though that doesn't preclude Corp or Staff A calling you home early and ending it that way.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I am definitely a special case right now (this is first time they've done a trip like this. Honestly you'd think they would just hire me on at this point but the way this Corporation works that is not a possibility, positions are opened independently by some other higher-up).

I don't know if ending the trip early is a possibility even, I was sent since there is a shitload of work that needs done. If anything, they might fly me back early, 'end' the trip, get me rehired, begin a new trip under new agency. I don't carry my SSN card on me either (which is required by law as part of the hiring process) so they might fly me back for that anyway.

I'm sure going to love checking out of hotel, checking in my rental car early, having to adjust my rental car expense to pay the difference back, flying across the country, grabbing a drat piece of paper and turning it in to work, then flying again, get a cash advance to get a new car rental, then check back in to hotel. Then wait 3 weeks for my 'first paycheck' again. Ughh

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Meta Ridley posted:

I am definitely a special case right now (this is first time they've done a trip like this. Honestly you'd think they would just hire me on at this point but the way this Corporation works that is not a possibility, positions are opened independently by some other higher-up).

I don't know if ending the trip early is a possibility even, I was sent since there is a shitload of work that needs done. If anything, they might fly me back early, 'end' the trip, get me rehired, begin a new trip under new agency. I don't carry my SSN card on me either (which is required by law as part of the hiring process) so they might fly me back for that anyway.

I'm sure going to love checking out of hotel, checking in my rental car early, having to adjust my rental car expense to pay the difference back, flying across the country, grabbing a drat piece of paper and turning it in to work, then flying again, get a cash advance to get a new car rental, then check back in to hotel. Then wait 3 weeks for my 'first paycheck' again. Ughh

This still might be the better way to do it. Hopefully nothing sketchy is going on but I think it is very reasonable for you to want to know quickly and in writing what they expect you to do.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Meta Ridley posted:

Better that than stay for the duration of the trip, stop being paid your salary by Staff A halfway through, then come back to find that Corp won't reimburse you for the travel expenses or pay you for the time you spent working for them, which is a very real outcome if you don't find out what the deal is here.

You really need to be making a bunch of phone calls and get something sent to you in writing via FedEx or certified mail or something once a decision maker at one of the two companies decides how to handle it. Depending on the exact wording of the contract between Staff A and Corp you are potentially in a very vulnerable position here.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Yeah I am working on getting a fire lit and making phone calls now. When this all started on Tuesday my main corporate boss basically told her (the Agency 2 supervisor) that I need to be the first and top priority of getting converted ASAP. He didn't plan on spending 2 months of travel expenses on me to get nothing out of it.

Honestly would not surprise me if she is just being lazy and doesn't want to deal with figuring this all out.

I'm just trying to get a continuity plan going now in case they drop the ball, and am starting to send out job applications here. I mean technically I'd have no problem being rehired once I get back, but I need to make sure these expenses (and its way over $10K for 2 months like this) are covered. Once (or If) I get back I will continue sending out applications if needed, because this is a lot of nonsense and I don't even want to work for them at this point.

I was actually completely prepared to move to a different city, before the trip started. Already have a deposit for a new rental saved up and all that, so it is actually not too crazy to just move where I am. Also my airfare is paid up (round-trip) so I can still get back to properly move.

My assignment end-date is April 12th, all paperwork for the rebadge offer must be completed and in her hand by March 22nd, and she hasn't even Fedex'd me the papers I need yet (and no way her lazy rear end will send it over the weekend).

This is getting to be E/N now but yeah I definitely see that I am in a pretty vulnerable situation at this point. There is no way to report time worked or expenses paid if I am not even employed after April 12th.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Random question about reimbursements and traveling:

Every week, I have to drive to San Francisco (about 50 mile round trip). This is related to some meetings I have to attend outside of my home office to our satellite in SF. I use my personal car, I drive from home, and I have to pay for parking in the city once I get there. I've been putting this on expense reports and making sure its accurate and everything.[

I've been asking around to a few people about whether they ever get reimbursed. It seems like no one ever thinks to get reimbursed for this expense.

So I know my coworkers are generally clueless about this so I will probably continue to get reimbursed for my travel. My real question comes from a comment made earlier in the thread - how is getting reimbursed generally looked upon by the management+? Is it based on average expense/employee or are these situations generally looked at based on situation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Shadowhand00 posted:

Random question about reimbursements and traveling:

Every week, I have to drive to San Francisco (about 50 mile round trip). This is related to some meetings I have to attend outside of my home office to our satellite in SF. I use my personal car, I drive from home, and I have to pay for parking in the city once I get there. I've been putting this on expense reports and making sure its accurate and everything.[

I've been asking around to a few people about whether they ever get reimbursed. It seems like no one ever thinks to get reimbursed for this expense.

So I know my coworkers are generally clueless about this so I will probably continue to get reimbursed for my travel. My real question comes from a comment made earlier in the thread - how is getting reimbursed generally looked upon by the management+? Is it based on average expense/employee or are these situations generally looked at based on situation?

Is this a customer facing meeting or an internal meeting?