Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Wow, Lu Xun's new attack animations are hard to keep track of visually sometimes. It's awesome though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbCB1QNig0Y

Also, Koei got (relatively) smart, they just attached youtube videos of everyone's attack animations through the official page. Just click on the button that says ムービー on each character's page.
http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/smusou7/#characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Now I wanna make Gunther :allears:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
How did I get this long without realizing that the story mode in 8 is branching? Holy poo poo that's a lot of story mode content. Shu alone has an alternate ending that is like five stages deep.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

SirPhoebos posted:

So I just saw a youtube clip from the 2010 'Three Kingdoms' series in which Zhang Fei punches out a horse (like Blazing Saddles except completely serious :allears:), and now I'm dying to know where to find the rest of it.

According to DW7:Empires, Zhang Fei once stood on a bridge, shouted, and scared off a million enemy soldiers. I knew about the bridge thing from previous DW games but I swear they all used to say he "held off 1000 soldiers", not "shouted so loud one million soldiers ran away".

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

DW7 also said that he shouted and scared them off, but I don't remember the number of enemy soldiers that went with that.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Thievery posted:

According to DW7:Empires, Zhang Fei once stood on a bridge, shouted, and scared off a million enemy soldiers. I knew about the bridge thing from previous DW games but I swear they all used to say he "held off 1000 soldiers", not "shouted so loud one million soldiers ran away".

The 'gave a powerful shout, scaring off a million of Cao Cao's troops' thing has been in the ingame Encyclopedia as far back as I can remember.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Samurai Sanders posted:

Wow, Lu Xun's new attack animations are hard to keep track of visually sometimes. It's awesome though.

Also, Koei got (relatively) smart, they just attached youtube videos of everyone's attack animations through the official page. Just click on the button that says ムービー on each character's page.

Who is the vampire looking guy with the hand axes on the light blue team? That guy looks cool.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

DW7 also said that he shouted and scared them off, but I don't remember the number of enemy soldiers that went with that.

The book goes even further by saying that his roar managed to kill one of the enemy commanders by frightening him to death. Which pretty much cemented Zhang Fei as one of my favorite characters of all time.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

mango sentinel posted:

Who is the vampire looking guy with the hand axes on the light blue team? That guy looks cool.
Jia Chong, he is pretty cool yeah.

edit: weapon proficiencies still seem to be doled out at random, not respecting either that character's stats or story stuff. Shangxiang still sucks with bows, All of Guan Yu's children except one suck with his halberd, and so on.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Mar 7, 2013

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is the guy with the covered face and wide hat supposed to be Pang Tong? I really like how they improved his design, and that moveset looks fun too.

Also I like what they did with Xing Cai's moveset (keeping it mostly the same, but everything seems to have much better range), especially that ground musou. Playing her in DW7 it felt like they didn't quite give the Sword and Shield what it deserved.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Still no fork though. I want the fork back! Lu Su has a rake so you can't tell me fighting with a giant fork is too silly.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

I was just having a brief look at that site with the characters on and realised who doesn't get enough love - Lu Meng. Wu have always been my favourite kingdom but as far as story goes, Wei are generally the "evil" guys, Shu are "good", and Wu sorta gets left out. I guess they are too cool for labels.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

So if I want to get into Dynasty warriors 7 for the PS3, should I get XL, or wait for empires? Gameplay wise are they similar or are they different styles of games?

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Still no fork though. I want the fork back! Lu Su has a rake so you can't tell me fighting with a giant fork is too silly.
Forking is not appropriate for a decent young lady.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Tithin Melias posted:

So if I want to get into Dynasty warriors 7 for the PS3, should I get XL, or wait for empires? Gameplay wise are they similar or are they different styles of games?

Consider the base 7, instead of XL on its own. The in-battle gameplay is largely the same between 7, XL, and Empires.

7 for the storylines and Conquest mode (basically challenge stages). XL for the extras it added, but it requires the base game for story mode and Conquest mode. Empires for the character creation and strategy gameplay.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Tithin Melias posted:

I was given the advice: "Get 7, then XL if you like 7 enough" and it worked for me, so I recommend going that route, too. XL is an expansion, you get the most out of it once you've played regular 7 to death (which will take awhile).

Empires is a separate thing. It doesn't seem to recognize or use any of my save data from DW7. It's like a big "what if" using the characters of DW where you try to take over all of China. The battles are slightly different, too. You have to take over bases on the map leading up to the main enemy camp, then either take that over or defeat the enemy commander. In between battles you do some basic sim stuff to build up your kingdom/character.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I've only just started Shosei mode, the free-form mode in 8, and it appears to be loving huge, though I can't tell exactly how much. tooooooo bad have you gotten very far in it?

edit: Guan Yu's death was Raoh-style this time and I cracked up.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 7, 2013

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

I've only just started Shosei mode, the free-form mode in 8, and it appears to be loving huge, though I can't tell exactly how much. tooooooo bad have you gotten very far in it?

I haven't played it at all. Got to the character select and decided that I needed to unlock way more people before giving it a go, though now that I've got Han Dang I'm probably set. Looking forward to reading what you think of it.

Just got to Fan Castle on the Wu side and you were so right about Lu Xun's moves, wow. Cao Cao does the clone thing too but in a totally different way, mostly hanging back and looking cool while his clone murders people. :c00lbert:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

tooooooo bad posted:

I haven't played it at all. Got to the character select and decided that I needed to unlock way more people before giving it a go, though now that I've got Han Dang I'm probably set. Looking forward to reading what you think of it.
No no, you unlock people in Shosei mode independently of story mode, by randomly encountering them and kicking the poo poo out of them in that mode (which by anime logic makes them your friend).

edit: anyway you do random missions and in them you get officers and building materials, your goal is to rebuild this ancient palace and cause the Han emperor to shack up with you. However it hinted that this is only the beginning.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 7, 2013

Sychopath
Sep 27, 2000

Samurai Sanders posted:

No no, you unlock people in Shosei mode independently of story mode, by randomly encountering them and kicking the poo poo out of them in that mode (which by anime logic makes them your friend).

edit: anyway you do random missions and in them you get officers and building materials, your goal is to rebuild this ancient palace and cause the Han emperor to shack up with you. However it hinted that this is only the beginning.

I believe tooooo bad is talking about the initial officer selection, which is based off who you have unlocked through the campaign mode

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Man, Yuan Shao is persistent. Every game I've played so far where he was a force ended with him being one of the last factions left, it's weird.

Also, siege spears are incredible :black101:

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Kessen 2 is going to be a PS2 Classic on PSN soon.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

^^ oh neat. I was just recently thinking about tracking down a copy because it sounds like a neat game. It's like Bladestorm right?

Sychopath posted:

I believe tooooo bad is talking about the initial officer selection, which is based off who you have unlocked through the campaign mode

Yeah that was it. I'd read that unlocking additional characters in Shosei mode was down to luck or something and wanted to start with someone I liked.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmugHQwCBXg

New trailer for Kamen Rider: Battride War

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
DW8 absolutely destroys its predecessors in variety and fun of the attack animations. Basically the only boring moveset left is Sun Quan's sword, but he has that musou attack where he sticks the sword in the enemy and then they explode so that makes it relatively ok. The best example so far is Zhuge Dan, who now has what looks like a collapsing police baton, complete with a bunch of police-looking grapple attacks like arm locks and stuff, one of which ends in an EX attack where he shocks them. Police brutality and tasers in 200ad China, awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJpGV8F1NSw

edit: oh and an elbow drop because why the hell not.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Mar 8, 2013

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
To the goon that posted the youtube videos for the Three Kingdom series, I thank you. I've pretty much been watching the series nonstop for 2 days now. I just love the fight scenes cause it reminds me of cheesy 80's kung-fu movies :allears:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Samurai Sanders posted:

DW8 absolutely destroys its predecessors in variety and fun of the attack animations. Basically the only boring moveset left is Sun Quan's sword, but he has that musou attack where he sticks the sword in the enemy and then they explode so that makes it relatively ok. The best example so far is Zhuge Dan, who now has what looks like a collapsing police baton, complete with a bunch of police-looking grapple attacks like arm locks and stuff, one of which ends in an EX attack where he shocks them. Police brutality and tasers in 200ad China, awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJpGV8F1NSw

edit: oh and an elbow drop because why the hell not.

Oh wow, this fits Zhuge Dan so incredibly well.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Leal posted:

To the goon that posted the youtube videos for the Three Kingdom series, I thank you. I've pretty much been watching the series nonstop for 2 days now. I just love the fight scenes cause it reminds me of cheesy 80's kung-fu movies :allears:
As the goon who linked the series, I hope that you're enjoying it even more for the twists it takes on the basic story!

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Basically the only boring moveset left is Sun Quan's sword

Quan can never catch a break. :(

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

The GIG posted:

Quan can never catch a break. :(

Sun Quan, in both design and playstyle and personality has always been the worst member of Wu. He's barely even Shu-Tier :(

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
The problem for Sun Quan is that his dad was the patriarch guy while his older brother did the conquering; in contrast all Sun Quan has to show for his tenure militarily is essentially Chibi (Zhou Yu), Hefei (read: Zhang Liao going for his head), the recapture of Jing Province (combined effort with Cao Cao's forces) and Yiling (Lu Xun).

Hell, in the 2010 series the first thing he does upon Sun Ce's death and Zhou Yu's return is offer to abdicate in Zhou Yu's favor and instead serve as one of Zhou Yu's officers... because after a slip of the tongue by Cheng Pu (about calling Zhou Yu back to assume the leadership) Sun Quan believes that the officers would eventually side with Zhou Yu and he wants to protect Wu from any succession conflict -- the same reason that Da Qiao leaves for exile with her son by Sun Ce, so that there would be no hint of a succession conflict with Sun Quan (or Zhou Yu).

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Thievery posted:

Sun Quan, in both design and playstyle and personality has always been the worst member of Wu. He's barely even Shu-Tier :(

In my current Empires playthrough (Dong Zhuo scenario), Sun Quan isn't even a part of Sun Jian's kingdom. He's been a consistent enemy in the southeast. :psyduck:

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Schubalts posted:

In my current Empires playthrough (Dong Zhuo scenario), Sun Quan isn't even a part of Sun Jian's kingdom. He's been a consistent enemy in the southeast. :psyduck:

This is a weird thing that 7 Empires does. If a character would not have been of age by the the time a scenario starts they are just placed randomly on the map as a free officer.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

In one of my games the planets aligned and had each prominent member of the Sun family have their own kingdom. Xiang's kingdom conquered them all by the end. I guess maybe she should have ruled Wu! :tinfoil:

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Belzac posted:

This is a weird thing that 7 Empires does. If a character would not have been of age by the the time a scenario starts they are just placed randomly on the map as a free officer.

Also does this with officers who are already dead by the scenario. I don't know if they actually show up, but I saw Liu Bei and Cao Cao as selectable free officers during the final Jing scenario. :v:

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Those of you who have Empires, is the DLC from DW7 and XL compatible? DW4 Lu Bu is my favorite and I refuse to go on without him.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

Raserys posted:

Those of you who have Empires, is the DLC from DW7 and XL compatible? DW4 Lu Bu is my favorite and I refuse to go on without him.

I don't believe it is, but DW4, 5 and 6 costumes are all available for the playable roster.

Isra the Great
Apr 5, 2009

A pleasure to meet you, my good bro.

TheBlackRoija posted:

Ok, who made McGoonerson?
A chubby little man complete with fedora, "wolf shirt" and jorts.

You got a good chuckle out of me anyway.

e: haha almost missed that he's using the curved sword too, perfect

He also has Zhang Fei's neckbeard :ssh: ... which is sadly lost in the scarf from the wolf shirt :negative:.

And here he is showing off some sweet karate moves.

I also made a Merida from Brave and Majima from Yakuza:

As much time as I spend with the mindless hack and slash, I'll always have a soft spot for the pretty princess dress up options when given :allears:.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Dawnfire posted:

Also does this with officers who are already dead by the scenario. I don't know if they actually show up, but I saw Liu Bei and Cao Cao as selectable free officers during the final Jing scenario. :v:

I seem to recall seeing that they are going to "fix" this in a patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!
So, I just got DW7:Empires as my first game in the series, what would be the best way to play the game? Seeing as it only has a conquest mode and seemingly no plot.