Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I just can't get into Jones on Fire :( The frame rate is all over the place, the camera is jittering like it's had 17 cups of coffee, and it's dark and unappealing to look at; endless muddy greens with spats of orange and silver. Sorry Shalinor :(

FreakyZoid posted:

Counterpoint - I find Jones on Fire muddy & dark with too many random chunky spark things all over the place, so I can't really tell what's going on well enough to react.

I agree. :( Even on max brightness it's a bit muddled. Maybe my eyes are just dumb and slow, but I'm having a hard time with it. I'm bad at runners because I have a hard time focusing on incoming objects and the jittery framerate, blocky, pixely, bleep bloop spriteyness just multiplies the issue.

Also I just don't like runners but that doesn't factor into this critique so much.

thedouche posted:

The Quest is my favorite game.

The Quest is a fantastic game that more people need to play.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"
The Wall of fire causes a spastic reaction from me, so there's that, usually these runners I could care less if there's an ape or some dino behind me.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

The camera angle is also a bit problematic. It's tilted just enough that I have a hard time gauging how close I am to obstacles and I either crash right into them or jump too early.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

JazzFlight posted:

The only thing I'm wondering about Jones on Fire is: is that it?

Is the first environment you see essentially the whole game? Just jumping over logs or dashing through logs, no major variation? I'm all for supporting goon projects and it's a slick enough game, but it seems really bare at the beginning.
It's a runner, so, basically yes. You'll see free content updates hitting over the next few weeks that add major scene changes every few levels (an office / apartments area, and a rooftops area), each with some different obstructions, but it's still basically just a runner. The "new" thing, wrt. runners, is the level structure. Also in the pipe is a customization system that'll add goofy stuff like buying hats for cats, but that won't really alter the basic gameplay loop.

EDIT: VV Strangely, I've never even played TF2 post-hatpocalypse. My inspiration for cats in hats was the tiny cat in a tiny hat eating a tiny ice cream cone. I found the cats looked good in hats, but no other customization really worked on a body that tiny.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 7, 2013

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Shalinor posted:

Also in the pipe is a customization system that'll add goofy stuff like buying hats for cats, but that won't really alter the basic gameplay loop.

I was going to suggest this too. Oh geez what has TF2 done to me?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Goon game Sphoxie just went free. No creepy demonic star fish in this game, sadly. Give a goon some word of mouth.

http://appshopper.com/games/sphoxie

Lex Averial
May 12, 2004

Swans. You know, birds.

Shalinor posted:

Anyways, yes, there's a leaderboards crash - I've got a patch in with Apple to fix the problem ASAP, and they've cleared me for an expedited review. That should hopefully hit in a few hours, and with some luck, I can salvage the release window / still get into "New & Noteworthy."

Looks like it's in. I was playing during lunch and it suddenly stopped crashing every other level. It's been working great since then.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=197555&sid=1cc13b36316a90e82aba37967dbd1735

It looks like Suda51 is bringing over Liberation Maiden to iOS.

If you want to see what it looks like on 3DS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMOPIL2j9eE

E: Actually, it is out Now

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/liberation-maiden/id589390349

Dehry fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 7, 2013

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Lex Averial posted:

Looks like it's in. I was playing during lunch and it suddenly stopped crashing every other level. It's been working great since then.

You need to manually update apps from the App Store ;)

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

It works, but I'm curious if the leaderboards actually update periodically, after deleting and reinstalling I ran two missions and my rank and cats saved stayed the same :(

Lex Averial
May 12, 2004

Swans. You know, birds.

Chuck Bartowski posted:

You need to manually update apps from the App Store ;)

That's the thing. I didn't do anything. It was crashing every few minutes earlier, now it's not. Maybe there was a server side fix for the leaderboard?

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Lex Averial posted:

That's the thing. I didn't do anything. It was crashing every few minutes earlier, now it's not. Maybe there was a server side fix for the leaderboard?

Shalinor said it has to do with funky characters in peoples GC names, so if your side of the leaderboard at the moment doesn't have funky characters you are ok?

Lex Averial
May 12, 2004

Swans. You know, birds.

Dvlos posted:

Shalinor said it has to do with funky characters in peoples GC names, so if your side of the leaderboard at the moment doesn't have funky characters you are ok?

I guess that might be it. No one with funky characters make it to the top 6 so I can keep playing!

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
Does anyone know how Marvel vs Capcom 2 works on the iPad mini?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Dvlos posted:

It works, but I'm curious if the leaderboards actually update periodically, after deleting and reinstalling I ran two missions and my rank and cats saved stayed the same :(
The way leaderboard scoring works, it'll store your highest score for the day. If your previous run resulted in a higher score than your current run - no change.

... and the patch is indeed not out yet. It just went into In Review, which means it could hit the store in as soon as an hour. I'm not actually sure how long it'll take to propagate, if patches are just instantly out, or what.

EDIT: VV Oh, sweet, thanks! EDIT2: Wow, that was glowing, nice!

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 8, 2013

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Just a heads up, IGN covered Jones On Fire in their app store round up today and they liked it.

EDIT: It's a long vid but the bit about JOF starts at 7:30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GIjLeLX4WQ

Anime_Otaku fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 7, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

tetsman posted:

Does anyone know how Marvel vs Capcom 2 works on the iPad mini?

The controls are terrible no matter what device you try to play it on n

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The controls are terrible no matter what device you try to play it on n

What about the frame rate? I remember it being less than stellar in the iPad 2, and since the Mini pretty much sports the same specs, I'm still wondering if it's going to work decently there.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

:raise: Which battle is this? The demon realm for me is one of the quickest stories I go through.

The battle against the pub bouncers. They only have access to Nightmares as a special, and they invariably form a Nightmare on turn 1 leading to two or three of them launching at me on Turn 5, and I've got 21 hp, so they flatten me. Meanwhile, they have at least 30 hp, so even when I've gotten my nightmares out on the same scale, it's not enough.

Really, it's probably the rng being a complete dick (oh, did he form five sets on the first turn? And all my specials are buried under non-matching crap? Great!) and that I haven't unequipped Succubi to join in the Nightmare trample. Which is me refusing to believe the game is so badly designed that accepting free new units screws you completely.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Ok, Jones On Fire should be patched everywhere by now. Update, and you should be good to go. Also, Apple featured us in New & Noteworthy, so that should be pretty dang awesome.

If anyone else has any further issues, PM me / email / whatevs. Seems stable though.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Those who have The Pinball Arcade: What's the difference between paid tables and playing the free version? And also I saw some tables have a Pro version available. What is the deal with those? Do they have magnets on the board because screw those. :mad:

(I used to play a T2 table during summer school. It was fun until they added strong magnets to those wedge bumpers near the bottom.)

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Those who have The Pinball Arcade: What's the difference between paid tables and playing the free version? And also I saw some tables have a Pro version available. What is the deal with those? Do they have magnets on the board because screw those. :mad:

(I used to play a T2 table during summer school. It was fun until they added strong magnets to those wedge bumpers near the bottom.)

I'm pretty sure all that info is in the game, but you only get Arabian Nights for free. You can try out every table (once I think?) and play until you reach a certain score, then it drops you out. Buying a pack will give you those tables and make them fully playable like Arabian Nights. The pro version will give you access to DIP switches and other advanced features, plus a bunch of extra content like sideart and being able to see the entire machine from all angles, I think.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Eschers Basement posted:

The battle against the pub bouncers. They only have access to Nightmares as a special, and they invariably form a Nightmare on turn 1 leading to two or three of them launching at me on Turn 5, and I've got 21 hp, so they flatten me. Meanwhile, they have at least 30 hp, so even when I've gotten my nightmares out on the same scale, it's not enough.

Really, it's probably the rng being a complete dick (oh, did he form five sets on the first turn? And all my specials are buried under non-matching crap? Great!) and that I haven't unequipped Succubi to join in the Nightmare trample. Which is me refusing to believe the game is so badly designed that accepting free new units screws you completely.

I thought you might have been talking about the silly cannon fight at the start, but the nightmares arent that hard to deal with, especially with succubi since they have awesome AOE attacks, and fusing them will wipe those guys out pretty quick. I'd have to guess that yes, you are being screwed by the random placements.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm pretty sure all that info is in the game, but you only get Arabian Nights for free. You can try out every table (once I think?) and play until you reach a certain score, then it drops you out. Buying a pack will give you those tables and make them fully playable like Arabian Nights. The pro version will give you access to DIP switches and other advanced features, plus a bunch of extra content like sideart and being able to see the entire machine from all angles, I think.

Yeah, I just saw it when I actually touched the buy now coin slot. :downs: The funny thing is i'm Terrible at pinball, so not making the high score board is easy for me.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Hooray! I can save kitties!

My only issue so far with Jones On Fire is that every time I tap on Gamecenter, I get a pop up telling me I'm not signed in. Even if I launch JOF from Gamecenter. :(

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Kheldarn posted:

My only issue so far with Jones On Fire is that every time I tap on Gamecenter, I get a pop up telling me I'm not signed in. Even if I launch JOF from Gamecenter. :(
Try hard-closing (double tab the button, then hold the button) both GameCenter and Jones On Fire. If that doesn't work, close Jones, manually log out of GameCenter in the GameCenter app, then log back in (from either).

Earlier, the App Store was convinced I wanted to patch Jones with my NZ account, even though I'd signed out of that everywhere. Turned out to be a stupid remembered login in one of them that took closing it all down and re-logging-in to fix. iOS likes to attach login state to open background apps, and then refuse to "completely" log out or in.

(this goes double if you were one of the testers, or test anyone else's game, and had logged your GameCenter into sandbox mode... that can cause some really screwy things until you close everything and log it all out)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Yeah, I just saw it when I actually touched the buy now coin slot. :downs: The funny thing is i'm Terrible at pinball, so not making the high score board is easy for me.

There are exceptions but usually the score limits for the free versions are really really low-- like a minute or two of play's worth. Consider them demos, basically. And, yeah, the Pro versions give you access to operator menus and settings so you can mess around with the tables as you please-- it's cool, but probably not worth it if you're just worried about having something to play on your iPhone -- it's more for the pinball hobbyists.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Shalinor posted:

Ok, Jones On Fire should be patched everywhere by now. Update, and you should be good to go. Also, Apple featured us in New & Noteworthy, so that should be pretty dang awesome.

If anyone else has any further issues, PM me / email / whatevs. Seems stable though.

I think there's a problem now on my phone and pad with signing into game center and seeing scores... But no more crashes.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Congrats on new and noteworthy. I like it, but the dual-currency situation is a little weird -- the rates seem fair enough with the doubler but after buying the first couple upgrades you're pretty much limited to spending your k on consumables which just... isn't that exciting. I guess being able to bump up the hazard level is nice but after spending that initial 3000k it becomes a lot less exciting grabbing cats when you know it's not going to be contributing to your progression in any concrete way.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Dvlos posted:

I think there's a problem now on my phone and pad with signing into game center and seeing scores... But no more crashes.
Just tested - dangit. No, you're right. That button isn't working like it should, because this morning I disabled all leaderboards integration (I hadn't yet narrowed down which part was causing the crash, but needed to fix the crash ASAP) - which will also interfere with reporting new high scores, for the next while.

Expect another patch in the near future. It won't be expedited, but it should still go through the review process faster than a full app. It'll fix this, and also put the fancy leaderboards back in-place without the elements that were crashing.

EDIT: Also, if this leaves anyone dissatisfied, email me at megan@glassbottomgames.com, and I can work out something related to our next content patch as an apology. I'll also be working on this patch over the weekend, and will of course hold the Android release until I've got a new build submitted (though I should be done by Sunday). Hopefully though, it doesn't ruin anyone's fun.

EDIT: VV I've no doubt someone's cheating it already. I know for a fact the binary's already on torrent websites too, though why they'd steal a free game is kind of beyond me.

EDIT2: and yep, that's right, kind of - jumping while sliding increases distance AND height. It's a risky maneuver, but handy if you're trying to jump a wall not normally jumpable that's downslope of you. It's also just fun to bomb through a stage with it.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 8, 2013

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Shalinor posted:

In the mean time, I recommend working toward the mid-air dash ability, which'll set you up for high scores. Some reviewers found it difficult to use, but I find it the single most important upgrade when it comes to beating the higher hazards. It's your "oh poo poo I'm about to fall on a fire wall" dodge.

That's the latest thing I picked up, it seems pretty great. Have I got this right about the jump while sliding, it's for distance rather than height?

Also the highest person on the leaderboard at the moment has a ridiculous amount of kitties, haha. I don't even know how to say that number.

Valency
Feb 3, 2010

HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT

McDragon posted:

That's the latest thing I picked up, it seems pretty great. Have I got this right about the jump while sliding, it's for distance rather than height?

Also the highest person on the leaderboard at the moment has a ridiculous amount of kitties, haha. I don't even know how to say that number.

:catstare: Goddamnit, I was all proud of myself for topping first with a good 1k+ margin. What a chump.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Shalinor posted:

Try hard-closing (double tab the button, then hold the button) both GameCenter and Jones On Fire. If that doesn't work, close Jones, manually log out of GameCenter in the GameCenter app, then log back in (from either).

I'm not quite sure what button you mean. The App Icon? From the screen, or that shows up when I double press the Home/Action/Whatever Apple calls it button? I've tried both options for the icon, and nothing.

If I double press the Home button, then hold it, it brings up Voice Control.

I'm on an iPod 4G running iOS 6.1, jailbroken.

Shalinor posted:

(this goes double if you were one of the testers, or test anyone else's game, and had logged your GameCenter into sandbox mode... that can cause some really screwy things until you close everything and log it all out)

Yeah, I have TestFlight for PunchQuest, and get Sandbox for it. I logged out, and even deleted the PQ profiles, and nope.

It's odd, because other games work just fine with Gamecenter. For example, I just installed Puzzle & Dragons about 2 weeks ago, and it's tracking Achievements just fine.

As a matter of fact, I just signed out of GC, rebooted my iPod, and loaded up P&D. It asked me to sign in to GC, and then showed me the Welcome Back, Kheldarn! GC banner. Went in to Jones, and nothing. Tapped on GC, and was told I'm not signed in. Signed out of GC, loaded up Jones, and was again told I'm not signed in, no option to sign in.

Also, a quick question: Does Jones not connect to the Twitter app to Tweet scores? Or was using Safari only for the first time, since I had to authorize it?

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
How the hell do you get the Helping Hand mission to complete? I have Charge Jump 1 and Mid-Air Charge 2, jumped off the top of a hill and hit SEVEN mid-air charges before touching the ground, and still can't get credit for a full second in the air.

EDIT: Also, I have no idea what a bush looks like in this game, nor how I got credit for smashing three on one run or seven on another.

delfin fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 8, 2013

Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.
Is anyone else playing Block Fortress? It's a tower defense/FPS/block building game from Foursaken (the guys behind Heroes & Castles and Bug Heroes). Base building is so much fun in this game and the number of turrets and arms is impressive. Before each wave of enemies you get to build and upgrade your base with various walls, turrets, and other support infrastructure like mines and power generators then fend off ever increasing numbers of enemies.

I honestly don't see how Foursaken keeps cranking out the hits but I'm not about to look that gift horse in the mouth!

http://appshopper.com/games/block-fortress

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Kheldarn posted:

I'm not quite sure what button you mean. The App Icon? From the screen, or that shows up when I double press the Home/Action/Whatever Apple calls it button? I've tried both options for the icon, and nothing.

If I double press the Home button, then hold it, it brings up Voice Control.

I'm on an iPod 4G running iOS 6.1, jailbroken.

Yeah, I have TestFlight for PunchQuest, and get Sandbox for it. I logged out, and even deleted the PQ profiles, and nope.

It's odd, because other games work just fine with Gamecenter. For example, I just installed Puzzle & Dragons about 2 weeks ago, and it's tracking Achievements just fine.

As a matter of fact, I just signed out of GC, rebooted my iPod, and loaded up P&D. It asked me to sign in to GC, and then showed me the Welcome Back, Kheldarn! GC banner. Went in to Jones, and nothing. Tapped on GC, and was told I'm not signed in. Signed out of GC, loaded up Jones, and was again told I'm not signed in, no option to sign in.

Also, a quick question: Does Jones not connect to the Twitter app to Tweet scores? Or was using Safari only for the first time, since I had to authorize it?

Double tap the home button from your home screen, then press and hold on the icon, then remove it.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Dewgy posted:

Double tap the home button from your home screen, then press and hold on the icon, then remove it.
It's irrelevant anyways - like I said, I tested it, this is definitely on me.

It'll be patched soon, Kheldarn. You're not doing anything wrong. See my previous post.

EDIT: If you want to be legit with your score between friends, tweet it / snap a screenshot. Losers might hack GameCenter leaderboards, but the kind of loser it would take to fabricate a high-scores tweet is probably not one you're following anyways.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 8, 2013

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Valency posted:

:catstare: Goddamnit, I was all proud of myself for topping first with a good 1k+ margin. What a chump.

Just know that you legitimately saved a bunch of kitties!

I'm enjoying the game now that the update pushed. And I just noticed the dealer hat on the kitty at the update area. :kimchi: I'm patiently waiting for hats for cats.

Duranki
Nov 16, 2004

There is vengeance to be dealt, Marc Spector. And you have not lost your taste for such things. Have you?
In Wrestling Revolution, has anyone clicked the YouTube link on the title screen? MDickie's video uses Stan Bush's 'The Touch.' Awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Stormfang1502 posted:

Is anyone else playing Block Fortress? It's a tower defense/FPS/block building game from Foursaken (the guys behind Heroes & Castles and Bug Heroes). Base building is so much fun in this game and the number of turrets and arms is impressive. Before each wave of enemies you get to build and upgrade your base with various walls, turrets, and other support infrastructure like mines and power generators then fend off ever increasing numbers of enemies.

I honestly don't see how Foursaken keeps cranking out the hits but I'm not about to look that gift horse in the mouth!

http://appshopper.com/games/block-fortress

I really wanting to try this but I'm a bit cautious for some reason. It sounds super addicting if the gameplay is smooth and works well. Oh gently caress it it's $2 and :420: and I need something to occupy me.

• Locked thread