Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So would today's eshop update bring us 30 cent metroid goodness? I really hope so, maybe I can blow off some of the dust on the console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Has it already been a month since F-Zero was released? I'm still playing Mario U and Sonic Racing on and off but yea, I would mind a new game for Wii U at some point in the future.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Bobnumerotres posted:

So would today's eshop update bring us 30 cent metroid goodness? I really hope so, maybe I can blow off some of the dust on the console.

No it's Punch Out, Kirby's Aventure, then Super Metroid.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think the next virtual console release would be the 21st. Isn't the actual service going up this month or next though?

And could someone try something with Runner 2? I'm wondering if maybe the costumes are causing the crash ion exiting. I just realized it has crashed every time since I started wearing the glove costume.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

greatn posted:

I think the next virtual console release would be the 21st. Isn't the actual service going up this month or next though?

It was announced to be between April and June. I don't see them launching it in the midst of this anniversary promotion though. I think it will be June.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Isn't the whole point of sales to draw people in to simultaneously also buy other products? At least retail sales. I mean, if I went to grab the .30 Punch Out! and saw some other titles I wanted were now available at their normal price, I'd certainly grab them.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
The titles released so far don't even have instruction manuals included. I'm not sure they're completely finished yet.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

greatn posted:

Isn't the whole point of sales to draw people in to simultaneously also buy other products? At least retail sales. I mean, if I went to grab the .30 Punch Out! and saw some other titles I wanted were now available at their normal price, I'd certainly grab them.

I think its more akin to the 3DS ambassador program.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

greatn posted:

Actually, in this case I think it's to test out the response to a lower price for the games and to build some brand awareness.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

AngryCaterpillar posted:

The titles released so far don't even have instruction manuals included. I'm not sure they're completely finished yet.

If you press the Home button while playing, you can select the manual and read it

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Katana Gomai posted:

Has it already been a month since F-Zero was released? I'm still playing Mario U and Sonic Racing on and off but yea, I would mind a new game for Wii U at some point in the future.

Gonna hunt some monsters in two weeks, how about you?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Zeeman posted:

If you press the Home button while playing, you can select the manual and read it

I just remembered I was looking in the virtual console menu for some reason and not the home menu.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Have they said anything about pulling wii VC stuff over? Or should I just go into the wii menu to buy VC stuff that I want and deal with the extra steps?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Chronojam posted:

Gonna hunt some monsters in two weeks, how about you?

OK, I give you that single game that's coming out, but Monster Hunter does nothing for me. I was looking forward to Rayman (which I'm not gonna buy now) and Pikmin (which is MIA) but alas.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 7, 2013

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

zelah posted:

Have they said anything about pulling wii VC stuff over? Or should I just go into the wii menu to buy VC stuff that I want and deal with the extra steps?
For any overlapping releases, you get a heavy discount on the Wii U VC download if you've already purchased the old Wii version. If you don't wish to upgrade, you can keep playing the old version by going through Wii Mode.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
When it's available on WiiU, of you already own the Wii version and have system transferred it over to your WiiU, you still have to buy the WiiU version, but it is discounted to just $1 instead of full price. I think that's for NES games, SNES might be a couple bucks more.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Katana Gomai posted:

OK, I give you think single game that's coming out, but Monster Hunter does nothing for me. I was looking forward to Rayman (which I'm not gonna buy now) and Pikmin (which is MIA) but alas.

Lego City Undercover comes out next week too!

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

NES games will gost a dollar to upgrade, SNES games will cost $1.50. No word on anything else.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Supercar Gautier posted:

NES games will gost a dollar to upgrade, SNES games will cost $1.50. No word on anything else.

But you can't perform this upgrade until VC is officially released, correct?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Supercar Gautier posted:

That's not so bad, but it's a dull waiting game for the Wii U versions to be available.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Supercar Gautier posted:

There is absolutely no reason for SNES games to cost more than NES games except that people perceive them as more valuable and Nintendo very cleverly realized that they can milk that for another 50% increase on an already insulting fee.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Red posted:

But you can't perform this upgrade until VC is officially released, correct?

Correct, and we're not certain how well supported old VC is going to be when it drops.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

Correct, and we're not certain how well supported old VC is going to be when it drops.

Hm. I *was* going to transfer everything over from my Wii to the U tonight, but that seems pointless, unless transferring Miis is easy.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Note when new vc drops it isn't going to have the whole library. The games are going to be released piecemeal. You'll probably have half a dozen to start and one or two a week.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Katana Gomai posted:

There is absolutely no reason for SNES games to cost more than NES games except that people perceive them as more valuable and Nintendo very cleverly realized that they can milk that for another 50% increase on an already insulting fee.

Wait till you learn about the pricing mechanisms behind diamonds, milk, smartphones, fast food, and the movie industry (from filming to theaters).

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

greatn posted:

Note when new vc drops it isn't going to have the whole library. The games are going to be released piecemeal. You'll probably have half a dozen to start and one or two a week.

I'm pretty sure this is correct, but have they official stated this?

Katana Gomai posted:

The price of goods is not set by how difficult they are to produce, but by how much customers are willing to pay. The price to produce only sets a FLOOR on the possible price, and if you owned a business you'd do the same drat thing.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Is MH going to be released on the the Wii U and 3DS shop day one?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Red posted:

Hm. I *was* going to transfer everything over from my Wii to the U tonight, but that seems pointless, unless transferring Miis is easy.

Any Miis you transfer have to go with all your other Wii stuff, and the system transfer is the only way to get your Miis to the Wii OS on Wii U.

The only way to transfer Miis to the Wii U OS is to beam them from the Wii to a 3DS and then to the Wii U.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Sire Oblivion posted:

Is MH going to be released on the the Wii U and 3DS shop day one?

Yes, you will be able to day one download the game.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

theflyingorc posted:

I'm pretty sure this is correct, but have they official stated this?

Yeah they specifically said everything has to be emulated again so not everything will be available day one.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Katana Gomai posted:

poo poo isn't free, and Nintendo wants to stay in business. Hard-knock life.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Any Miis you transfer have to go with all your other Wii stuff, and the system transfer is the only way to get your Miis to the Wii OS on Wii U.

The only way to transfer Miis to the Wii U OS is to beam them from the Wii to a 3DS and then to the Wii U.

Wait, what?

So the Wii U, which bases many of its features and interactions on Miis, doesn't easily import them from your Wii?

So if I don't have a 3DS (which I don't), I can't put them on to the Wii U. I'd have to make them from scratch.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
This keeps coming up, but the Wii U VC games will be released on a gradual schedule just like the original VC, and it's highly unlikely that anyone with a large collection will be able to to a 1:1 upgrade of everything. There may be entire platforms that don't get represented on the Wii U VC.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Miis import automatically with a system transfer. I think you're reading him wrong.

I hope they do get TG16 games though, I really wanna play those two Zelda ripoff games with diagonal movement on the Gamepad. Those were so fun.

greatn fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 7, 2013

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
^^^ They only transfer to the Wii mode of Wii U, not the Wii U OS.

Red posted:

Wait, what?

So the Wii U, which bases many of its features and interactions on Miis, doesn't easily import them from your Wii?

So if I don't have a 3DS (which I don't), I can't put them on to the Wii U. I'd have to make them from scratch.

Yeah, Wii U's Mii Maker can only connect to the 3DS. I don't know why, as the 3DS can connect to Wii.

AngryCaterpillar fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 7, 2013

Red
Apr 15, 2003

greatn posted:

They import automatically with a system transfer. I think you're reading him wrong.

Edit: Hm. You two seem to disagree.

Red fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 7, 2013

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

KGBAgent185 posted:

Yes, you will be able to day one download the game.

Awesome, guess I'll give my preorder to a friend.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The download prices for retail games are pretty awful though. ZombiU is like £55 I think.

PS3 has the same problem. (Maybe 360 too, I don't have one)

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

KimT posted:

The download prices for retail games are pretty awful though. ZombiU is like £55 I think.

PS3 has the same problem. (Maybe 360 too, I don't have one)

To be fair, Ubi has already done a pretty good sale. Right after they announced the Rayman Legends delay, they cut the price of all of their games on the shop by 30% for a week or two, so you could get it for $40, which was better than most retail prices (and about even online, ie Amazon). The game's only 4 months old and considered to basically be the best non-Nintendo game on the system right now, I don't think it's reasonable to expect it to be dirt cheap yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

greatn posted:

When it's available on WiiU, of you already own the Wii version and have system transferred it over to your WiiU, you still have to buy the WiiU version, but it is discounted to just $1 instead of full price. I think that's for NES games, SNES might be a couple bucks more.

You don't have to buy the Wii U version if you don't want. The Wii version should still be playable after the Wii U version is released. This is based on what's currently going on, with me owning the VC version of F-Zero and still being able to play it after buying the Wii U version. That being said, when they do start that discounted upgrade offer, I wonder if folks'll still have access to the Wii version if they upgrade to the Wii U version.

• Locked thread