Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

uXs posted:

Also I think I'm too old for Lego. :I

I'm having a hard time picturing someone that's actually too old for Lego. I can only imagine they would have to have bones so brittle, and skin so paper-thin, that merely caressing two blocks in an attempt to join them would shatter the body and rend the flesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

uXs posted:

Ugh. I rather want to buy some Lego (specifically the motorized excavator), but I'm afraid I'll put it together once and then never look at it again. Also I think I'm too old for Lego. :I

Way too old.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Last night, I was delivered a complete 6989 from my youth, it was lost in the back of a closet since whatever year it was re-released. Simply put, since this thing has been just decorative for more than a decade, I think I can part with it and use the funds to further my addiction. It lacks box or instructions but is otherwise complete, I am not sure how much this is worth. Anyone interested?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Colonel Sanders posted:

Last night, I was delivered a complete 6989 from my youth, it was lost in the back of a closet since whatever year it was re-released. Simply put, since this thing has been just decorative for more than a decade, I think I can part with it and use the funds to further my addiction. It lacks box or instructions but is otherwise complete, I am not sure how much this is worth. Anyone interested?

You should be able to get at least $100-150 for it. I may be interested in it, depending on what you're asking.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Mega Core Magnetizer! I knew that would be the set you were talking about even without knowing the number, as "Straight out of my youth" means either that set or one of the original pirate ships.

I'd be interested, but yeah it goes for like ~100$ without instructions/box. It's weird how Lego holds its initial value really well, but it is only the mint Star Wars sets (and maybe the original cityblock modulars) that skyrocket in value.

Edit - woah, that ~100$ price I've seen is for like complete sets with boxes. It is much less otherwise.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 6, 2013

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

uXs posted:

Ugh. I rather want to buy some Lego (specifically the motorized excavator), but I'm afraid I'll put it together once and then never look at it again. Also I think I'm too old for Lego. :I

Just ignore the age recommendation on the book and you will be good to go. I am married and have a kid of my own and I have a rather large Lego collection from back when I started as a kid and my little one is starting her collection already and she is barely 8 months old (Duplo stuff). You would be surprised how many "grown-ups" love Lego, I was shocked when a good amount of my buddies saw my collection and I found out they are a huge Lego fan.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Lego are neat because you can have them sit around as an art/display piece, but then on a whim many years later you could break them apart and make something new.

And as long as you make sure to hold on to all of the pieces, you could return it to the original model state later.

It's like the Winter Village sets. I take out my slowly growing collection from boxes in a closet during Xmas, put them together for the season for a display, then break them down to very small/easily storage-able bags, and put them away for a whole year.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)
Cool Lego news :) : http://www.shareable.net/blog/lego-bombing-and-the-art-of-infrastructure
Sad Lego news :( :http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57572674-1/lego-spill-tangles-up-west-virginia-highway/

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

If you think about all the potential cracks and holes in the road, then the second story is really just a :effort: copycat of the first.

I feel bad for that family though, I've had bad dreams about that sort of thing whenever I have to move.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

I dropped a Transformer out the window of a car when I was a kid and I remember vividly freaking out about the loss of it. I know exactly how that kid feels and that is one of the worst feelings in the world. I still have nightmares about dropping poo poo out of windows of cars (albeit things like cell phones/cameras now)

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Colonel Sanders posted:

I'm interested in this, too. The 6989 was my holy grail as a kid. I have two now, but a third would be great. :)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

For eventual resale of an owned built set, is storing the box worth anything?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

smackfu posted:

For eventual resale of an owned built set, is storing the box worth anything?

For current sets? Probably not, unless it's a destined-for-collectors set like a modular building or a UCS. Older sets usually get a bit of a premium if they have the box, and sometimes you can even sell the box alone.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

My heart goes out to all the lego men and lego women that were most likely sweep up and thrown away:(

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.
Saw in WSJ today that LEGO is in talks with Fox regarding Simpsons sets. Thoughts?

I really just want a Hank Scorpio minfig.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Pirate Ken posted:

Saw in WSJ today that LEGO is in talks with Fox regarding Simpsons sets. Thoughts?

I really just want a Hank Scorpio minfig.

I guess the yellow characters would fit in well but... really, please no. I'm sure there are better licenses out there that Lego could scoop up.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Lego's licensing process is pretty baffling. It's a toy line revolving around buildings and vehicles, you'd think they'd aim for something with more visually interesting architecture or vehicles or something. I mean, Star Wars? Yeah, that's a no brainer. TMNT? Welllll... it is designed to sell its own vehicles and playsets, so it sort of fits. But Simpsons? I guess it has some iconic buildings, but not especially interesting ones. A Kwik-E-Mart set would be pretty sweet, I guess, can't really think of why you'd really care about much else the Simpsons has to offer.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Nuclear power station.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

uXs posted:

Nuclear power station.

With flick-fire missles, of course.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

I think we would ALL buy this set in a heart beat.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Okay, I guess it would be worth it for a Lego Leonard Nimoy.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

InfinEight posted:

I guess the yellow characters would fit in well but... really, please no. I'm sure there are better licenses out there that Lego could scoop up.

A lot of the brick colors from the Friends line would work really well with the Simpsons palette. Burns Manor would be a cool build. Maybe Springfield Elementary (with Willy's shack sold as a separate small set). And wouldn't Moe's Tavern be fun? With little Lego rats and lots of bottles?

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

ireladd posted:

I think we would ALL buy this set in a heart beat.

It already exists:

http://www.peeron.com/inv/sets/6399-1?showpic=6487

:colbert:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Leonard. Nimoy.

:colbert:

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Pfft, that monorail was more of a "Shelbyville" idea. Why, this one could be huge. By gum, it put Brockway, North Haverbrook and Ogdenville on the map! Sir, there's nothing on Earth like a genuine, bona fide, electrified, Lego'ized, Simpsons six-car monorail!
:tipshat:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

ireladd posted:

Pfft, that monorail was more of a "Shelbyville" idea. Why, this one could be huge. By gum, it put Brockway, North Haverbrook and Ogdenville on the map! Sir, there's nothing on Earth like a genuine, bona fide, electrified, Lego'ized, Simpsons six-car monorail!
:tipshat:

:golfclap:

The more I think about it, Simpsons Lego could be great. I want a Kwik-E-Mart so bad. Or Burns' office.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Fat Tony vs Bart in the Malk factory.

I need this.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

I need a Frank Grimes mini-fig that goes from set to set becoming increasingly unhinged at Homer's perfect life.

And a plow for Mr. Plow.

And I really do want a monorail set with Leonard Nemoy and Lyle Langle.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I can definitely see the appeal of building a tiny Lego Springfield but the timing just seems so weird. Nobody even talks about the Simpsons anymore except to express amazement that it hasn't been canceled yet. I guess Lego is going nuts with licensing compared to 20 years ago when Simpsons merchandise would make more sense.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
At last! An excuse to wear makeup post my Zoidberg custom.

Travis343 posted:

I can definitely see the appeal of building a tiny Lego Springfield but the timing just seems so weird. Nobody even talks about the Simpsons anymore except to express amazement that it hasn't been canceled yet. I guess Lego is going nuts with licensing compared to 20 years ago when Simpsons merchandise would make more sense.

Hey, at least this way I can remember the good times (like with OT Star Wars sets).

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 8, 2013

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Travis343 posted:

OTOH, Lego likes licenses that appeal to adults since they have a lot of money. "Classic" Simpsons like monorail or such is aimed right at that demographic.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Lizard Combatant posted:

At last! An excuse to wear makeup post my Zoidberg custom.

Hey, at least this way I can remember the good times (like with OT Star Wars sets).

See, a Futurama license would make a lot more sense to me, what with all the spaceships and alien creatures, plus I think Futurama is currently more popular (though I could be wrong).

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

mattfl posted:

Just got back from Toys R Us.

This coupon

http://www.coupons.com/coupon-codes/printable/?cid=43726_2

gives 20% off a single item, and does NOT exclude Lego!

I just picked up the Technic 4x4 http://shop.lego.com/en-US/4X4-Crawler-9398 for $160!

20% off at Toys R Us? That almost brings it down to retail price!!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

20% off at Toys R Us? That almost brings it down to retail price!!

Well retail on the technic set I bought was 199, and that's what they were selling it at. I did a quick check on amazon too and the 4x4 was selling for $200+ from most people as well.

MaggieTheCat
Nov 7, 2010
Found an endcap of series 9 at Walmart today and got the starlet,the archer, and the roman. However when I opened the roman he had no face, just a blank head. Do you think lego would send me a new one?

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

My Cyclops was missing his head, and lego offered to send me 2 random figures when I used the missing parts form - they apparently can't supply parts for the CMFs.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

InfinEight posted:

See, a Futurama license would make a lot more sense to me, what with all the spaceships and alien creatures, plus I think Futurama is currently more popular (though I could be wrong).

I haven't watched an episode of the Simpsons made in the last 10 or so years and I would still be all over those sets. I can't imagine a license that would get more non-Lego people buying sets than that.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Ika posted:

My Cyclops was missing his head, and lego offered to send me 2 random figures when I used the missing parts form - they apparently can't supply parts for the CMFs.

That makes sense. Unfortunately, that head is unique to the roman. I guess go for the freebies? Worst case, you can sell both on Bricklink and get the Roman. Or trade here.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

:siren: Build-off entry

Anno 2070 has beautiful architecture. It inspired me to make this, a haphazard attempt at housing design fitty years in the future.

Lots more pictures added to the build-off flickr group. No foliage or people because I'm too lazy for that. I just wanted to finish this after fighting with it for over a week. Getting the hinges to align was pure agony.

My vote for the next build is cargo/delivery and industry/manufacturing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I have never seen a LEGO structure as big as this boat built by Brickmania. Seems Brickworld Indy is it's first appearance.

More here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/screamingforvengeance/sets/72157632952110131/with/8541189445/

All show: http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=brickworld&s=rec