Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams

bowser posted:

That's an early contender for Best of 2013. So many great lines.

Jesus Christ, Superstar!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Has anyone put those 8 seconds on youtube yet, it's the perfect sampler to email to all my friends.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Auritech posted:

Jesus Christ, Superstar!

Al Yankovic, Superstar!

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Hey, Comedy Bean Bag fans! Paul F. Tompkins did a set on the comedy stand up showcase podcast, Put Your Hands Together, as the Cake Boss. Give it a listen!

SlowlyChoking
Nov 23, 2004

Open fierce skies on me, on a bird and we experience the new death indeed.
I finally started listening to Analyze Phish and holy poo poo episiodes 3 and 4 are incredible.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

SlowlyChoking posted:

I finally started listening to Analyze Phish and holy poo poo episiodes 3 and 4 are incredible.

Yeah, I definitely hope there's another concert this year with Adam Scott based on the interactions in episode 3.

Although continuing with other variations like Analyze Fish is also hilarious.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I hope they can get Matt Besser to do an episode, because he's apparently a Phish fan.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
I haven't gotten through the entire ep yet, but it seems like Jon Daly has been hanging out with Heidecker a little too much. His Peppermen premise reminds me a lot of Tim's fake promo thing.

Still pretty funny though. I love it with Zach is on because his chemistry with Scott is pretty great.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Did I miss it, or did they get through that whole "Gooseman" bit without ever mentioning Luis Guzman?

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Funny episode, loved Jon Daly's songs. Always makes me laugh how Neil Campbell is always so dramatic and faux-sincere. 'Cat On A Hot Chilli Pepper Roof' by California Williams was incredible.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Oh man, I want to go clubbing to that plugs theme

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
On the most recent This American Life episode (about a school in Chicago that experiences a lot of gun violence) at one point the journalist says he spoke to "Thomas, a junior" and the first time I heard it I honestly thought the kid's name was Thomas Sjunior. I had to re-listen 3 times before I figured out what he was saying. That's the only time I've ever burst out laughing while listening to a somber episode of TAL.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Ok, Neil Campbell explaining his play made me laugh so hard. Every appearance of his is incredible. His characters are so well rounded with so little exposition.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I just burst out laughing on a bus at 'snakeguns'

cams
Mar 28, 2003

New mid-week episode of Comedy Bang Bang with my favorite nice guy comedian who says really mean things for laughs, Anthony Jeselnik!

EDIT: Just gonna take a guess here, I don't think Eugene Mirman has taken a lot of improv classes.

cams fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 7, 2013

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Bleh. At least it's a midweek show so I wasn't looking forward to it.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Been really enjoying The Jeselnik Offensive tv show for what it's worth. Although I'm a bit tired of the super-amped Comedy Central style audience who goes absolutely nuts for every little thing.

SlowlyChoking
Nov 23, 2004

Open fierce skies on me, on a bird and we experience the new death indeed.
God drat, that episode was getting into a really nice flow until they introduced the character this week. I wish it would have just been Jeselnik, Mirman and Fielder for the entire episode.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

This episode really snuck up on me. Kept finding reasons not to like it on first listen but when it was over I couldn't stop thinking about Jazz-Jazz and Nate going at it and I listened to it again this afternoon. Nathan seems really uninterested and unfunny at first but the subtle ways he undermined things were really funny. Eugene is always just a delightful presence.

Jeselnik is a shame. He's obviously a really talented joke-writer and can craft a sentence so it hits you exactly the right way but the "oh no I'm actually IN FAVOR of dead babies!" (gasps) schtick is just so loving uninteresting.

Who was playing Jazz-Jazz? It wasn't listed on the episode so the first time I was trying to see if it was one of the named guests doing double duty but it definitely isn't.

"You, Anthony?" "Yeah, I draw the line at dolt."

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010
It wasn't the best episode ever, but I did laugh every time they called Nathan Fielder Nate.

To the guy above me, Jazz Jazz was Eugene Cordero.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

TheIndividual posted:

It wasn't the best episode ever, but I did laugh every time they called Nathan Fielder Nate.

To the guy above me, Jazz Jazz was Eugene Cordero.

I liked it too. Every episode can't be the best episode ever.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I thought it was pretty good too. However, Scott should maybe inject some more games (other than WYR, and I'm fine with Scott having that be a staple of most shows) if an episode is going to be an hour and a half. Sometimes there isn't enough fodder for another go-round of bullshit improv jokemaking, and something like Jukebox Jury or the other old games definitely could liven the room up. I can't remember because I listen to older CBBs so often- does he still even play games other than WYR?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

They played Fortunately Unfortunately (which has the best theme tune) a couple of shows ago, and when Andy Samberg and Bro are on they dig out the Hollywood facts theme. But nope, it's all WYR all the time mostly.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Unless you count the freestyle rap as a game, it seems like it's been at least 6 months without anything but WYR.

Edit: Forgot that Fortunately Unfortunately appearance.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
The freestyle raps have yet to jump the shark for me, too. I loved last Halloween's show so much.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Eugeno Cordero is a funny dude but the character seemed like a weaker, NYC version of Brent Weinbach's Mexican guy. "It's like, whatevers"

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one
I don't know if anyone else listened to Hypercritical but Nathan Fielder sounds exactly like John Siracusa. Weird nervous "uh"s and everything.

I watched the first episode of Nathan For You and it's pretty funny.

Also: there's a barber shop at 46th & Queens Blvd in Queens.

anotherone fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 8, 2013

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

anotherone posted:

I don't know if anyone else listened to Hypercritical but Nathan Fielder sounds exactly like John Siracusa. Weird nervous "uh"s and everything.

He also sounds a lot like Dan Mintz to me and my housemate. If I didn't know the name of the person who played Tina on Bob Burger but knew it was a guy, we would've thought it was Nathan when we watched Nathan For You last week. Also: watch Nathan For You, I haven't seen the second episode yet but the first was really good. CC actually premiered 2 shows on one night, and without doubt the hardest night to break into comedy, that were both really entertaining. Along with Kroll Show they've debuted some good stuff this year.

(I haven't watched more than 10 minutes of Jeselnik's yet, but I like his stand up I just don't think he suits yet another weekly review kind of show. The kind of jokes he tells need to be honed over a long period of time and worked with an audience, rather than 'welp this happened this week so I guess we need to think of something edgy to say about it and FAST!')

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

cams posted:

EDIT: Just gonna take a guess here, I don't think Eugene Mirman has taken a lot of improv classes.

I read this before listening to the episode, but I'm like halfway through and Mirman seems to be most actively engaging with Jazz Jazz?

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
I found this screenshot from the CBB TV show saved on my phone.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

crimedog posted:

I found this screenshot from the CBB TV show saved on my phone.

Just remembering this bit has me laughing out loud. I'm glad these are all on Netflix now so I can go back and watch them again.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

The TV show is hilarious. You lose some of the amazing stuff that comes out of long form improv, but the show feels almost perfect at around 21 minutes, any longer and it probably wouldn't work as well. I get a lot out of it just based on being able to finally put faces to the names I hear on the podcast.

Brody Stevens as the Referencee literally killed me, I'm dead

"Yesterday, my wife..."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The live episode from SXSW just wrapped up, anyone else watch it? Tim Heidecker was in full-on anti-comedy mode, which I usually like or can at least put up with, but he was just obnoxious this time. Everything else was pretty funny, especially Sarah Silverman's high-five whole room victory lap and the vicious barbs directed at Mountain Dew Kickstart as the on-screen "sponsored by" graphics were up (and the continued thrashing of it for the rest of the segment. "And this one that I'm drinking is five percent juice, which, as far as juices go? Pretty good.")

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

JethroMcB posted:

The live episode from SXSW just wrapped up, anyone else watch it? Tim Heidecker was in full-on anti-comedy mode, which I usually like or can at least put up with, but he was just obnoxious this time.

Uh oh, you said it. Cue all the people claiming there's no such thing as anti-comedy.

Of course I've never understood how claiming there's no such thing as anti-comedy is an argument in Heidecker's favor because if he's not doing it as a "thing" wouldn't that just mean the guy wasn't funny? Other comedians would get, "Boy I saw that guy at SXSW and he was really horrible, just sucked all the funny out of the room." But if Heidecker is going to consistently get that free pass, then why quibble with what that free pass is called?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I thought Tim and Scott were the funniest thing there, to be honest.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
I feel like Tim is extremely hit or miss for me. I've loved his bits about Ching Chong Matinee and The Who but didn't care for much else.

pork minstral
Apr 27, 2004

Into the Void

Midnightghoul posted:

I feel like Tim is extremely hit or miss for me. I've loved his bits about Ching Chong Matinee and The Who but didn't care for much else.
I also find him hit or miss, but that doesn't tell the whole story--when something of his does hit for me, it really hits. Ching Chong Matinee is definitely one of my all-time favorite CBB bits, and I can think of few things in any category that have ever made me laugh as hard as "Not Jackie Chan" from Awesome Show.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
His bits can be good, and he works better when he's with just Eric, or with maybe 1 other guest. His bits fell kinda flat, and the diaper one in particular obviously had nobody else on board for it. He hasn't ruined any of the shows I've heard him in, but he tends to drag them down, at least.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Any time I see one of these live shows in front of an audience, I find it really hard to watch. Unless it's an audience specifically there to see Comedy Bang Bang, like when they did the tour.

That audience absolutely did not get the bit with Brett Gelman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Tim just gets on my nerves too much. I get what he's doing, it's just not that interesting or funny the vast majority of the time to me.