Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

For those of you wondering what choice Captain Comet made...
Strange Adventures 34

Strange Adventures 67

Strange Adventures 83

Here are some ads from DC

from December 1953. What's up with Joker's face?

from June 1966. This reads like a jive talk Ulysses.

GorfZaplen fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

GorfZaplen posted:

Strange Adventures 83

This is the greatest comic book cover ever.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

GorfZaplen posted:

Strange Adventures 83
]

Oh my god the :stare: on the students is amazing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

GorfZaplen posted:

Strange Adventures 83

So I see Stringer Bell wasn't the first gang leader to go back to school. Is that Tombstone in the lower left?

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

GorfZaplen posted:

Strange Adventures 67

I really want to make an Angry Birds joke here, but...eh, I got nothin'.

So here, have some Fletcher Hanks instead (From Jungle comics #13):

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

GorfZaplen posted:

Strange Adventures 83

Is there an even higher-res version of this? I sorta need it as a poster now.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Thor has lost all his power, Asgard is destroyed, his entire family was slaughtered, and he's having girl troubles. The ghosts of Asgard bring grim tidings.

Ultimate Comics: Ultimates #4

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Uthor posted:

Thor has lost all his power, Asgard is destroyed, his entire family was slaughtered, and he's having girl troubles. The ghosts of Asgard bring grim tidings.

Ultimate Comics: Ultimates #4
Wow. That's... that's kind of depressing. Being all grim and broody is one thing, but a fart joke? Are they mocking him? Are they even real, or is he having guilt-related hallucinations? :smith:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
He "is Valhalla now", whatever that means. They are living in him.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Uthor posted:

He "is Valhalla now", whatever that means. They are living in him.

So they can both legitimately be there AND only be voices inside his head.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Obviously, this can only be the cover of Secret Origins: Mad Mod.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

FredMSloniker posted:

Wow. That's... that's kind of depressing. Being all grim and broody is one thing, but a fart joke? Are they mocking him? Are they even real, or is he having guilt-related hallucinations? :smith:

I took it as a rather poor attempt to cheer him up with some humor, from the context. It didn't work, and was probably in bad taste, but that's family.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I took it as a rather poor attempt to cheer him up with some humor, from the context. It didn't work, and was probably in bad taste, but that's family.

That's also Ultimate Volstagg, so a fart joke is character-appropriate.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
The fan-created Thunderbolts Hostess Fruit Pies ad that ran in issue 9:

The story behind it:
http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/hostess%20fruit%20pies

Edit: Also Icemaster, a villain created for the Hostess ads appeared as part of the Crimson Cowl's Masters of Evil group in Thunderbolts:
http://www.againwiththecomics.com/2010/04/hostess-villains-i-want-to-see-in.html
and later in a Fear Itself tie-in, mentioning Fruit Pies:
http://www.againwiththecomics.com/2011/05/do-you-fearlosing-your-fruit-pies.html

Red Warrior fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 8, 2013

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

We can't talk about Hostess parodies without this.

EDIT: Oh wait, it's from a Wizard parody ad!

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 8, 2013

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Red Warrior posted:

Edit: Also Icemaster, a villain created for the Hostess ads appeared as part of the Crimson Cowl's Masters of Evil group in Thunderbolts:
http://www.againwiththecomics.com/2010/04/hostess-villains-i-want-to-see-in.html
and later in a Fear Itself tie-in, mentioning Fruit Pies:
http://www.againwiththecomics.com/2011/05/do-you-fearlosing-your-fruit-pies.html

I saw this at that site and couldn't stop laughing. Help!

Where's is it from?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

The MSJ posted:

I saw this at that site and couldn't stop laughing. Help!

Where's is it from?

Oh! The gorilla is wearing a sign that says he's not a threat. Well, my fears are assuaged.

Seriously, Perry?

The only way it could be worse is if the letters were scribbled on there in poor handwriting.

Oh, and in terms of helping with the source, unfortunately all I know is that it is one of the two times (yes, two times) that Jimmy Olsen swapped minds with a gorilla. A quick search tells me it should be Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #24

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 9, 2013

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

CzarChasm posted:

The only way it could be worse is if the letters were scribbled on there in poor handwriting.

Don't forget the smeared bloody hand print.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of jerk for Perry to decide that Jimmy should be called "Bonzo" just because he happens to be a gorilla.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Kind of jerk for Perry to decide that Jimmy should be called "Bonzo" just because he happens to be a gorilla.

That's great, but I think my favorite detail is that Jimmy bothered to track down a Big N' Tall version of his trademark green suit.

edit: I lied. The best part is the exclamation marks on the sign.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jimmy's being quite brave and progressive. Instead of being all "oh no I'm a monster, a monster! Don't look at meeee!" and hiding away somewhere, he's out there living his life loud and proud. "Yeah, I'm a gorilla. So what? I'm gonna keep on doing what I do. You deal with it."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lobok posted:

Jimmy's being quite brave and progressive. Instead of being all "oh no I'm a monster, a monster! Don't look at meeee!" and hiding away somewhere, he's out there living his life loud and proud. "Yeah, I'm a gorilla. So what? I'm gonna keep on doing what I do. You deal with it."

Olsen's just jaded at the weird poo poo he transforms at this point. Grant Morrison had a pretty great analysis of the stuff he transformed on his comics.

Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen 53.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I, Vampire #17:

PHRASING!

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
Man, when did Cain become such a laid-back dude? I haven't read too much of I,Vampire since his first appearance, when he was mainly all "GRAR I WILL TAKE OVER THE WORLD"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Darth Nat posted:

Man, when did Cain become such a laid-back dude? I haven't read too much of I,Vampire since his first appearance, when he was mainly all "GRAR I WILL TAKE OVER THE WORLD"

To stop him from well, taking over the world like you said, Constantine and the Justice League Dark siphon most of his energy and send it into Andrew Bennett. Bennett spends a while as vampire king/Jesus until he decides to just straight up cure vampirism by sucking it all up into himself... which makes him just as much of a threat as Cain was (if not more so). Then Cain hangs with the good guys for a while while they plot, but then he takes off to go do... this.

tl;dr: He lost most of his power and so had to become much more chill.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 10, 2013

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Lars Blitzer posted:

Okay, this makes it the third Marvel villain to have the surname Marko, after Cain and Flint (no relation). Did Stan Lee have a bully named that growing up or what?

I think there was also a Man Mountain Marko.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

If you have to know the source, and come on. Really? Fine, it's Avengers #251.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I think there was also a Man Mountain Marko.

That is Man Mountain Marko

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jim Shooter likes to tell people that a kid with the last name of Marko used to torture STan Lee when he was a kid and that he allegedly had the Norman Osborn/Sandman hair as well and that's why it worked it's way into comics. It's 100% BS but it's still a fun story and Shooter gets really animated telling it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

LvK posted:

That is Man Mountain Marko

Sorry, that's what I get for clicking on the wrong one.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lars Blitzer posted:

Okay, this makes it the third Marvel villain to have the surname Marko, after Cain and Flint (no relation). Did Stan Lee have a bully named that growing up or what?

It is perhaps telling that in his very first appearance, Sandman broke into Peter Parker's high school and tried to threaten the headmaster into writing him a diploma.

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.
Lex Luthor and Doc Ock - BFF's.

(Superman vs The Amazing Spiderman)

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Since we're posting Fruit Pie ads:

Age of The Sentry #5

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

I wish I knew the source but it's probably a recent X-men.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Namor probably calls everyone the worst swimmer.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

It's Wolverine #16 during Aarons run. That image is a few different panels/pages edited together.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

The MSJ posted:

Yeah, but Wolverine's got metal in his bones. He weighs a lot more than you'd think.

We've had Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal in this thread before, right? Here's today.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

The MSJ posted:

Well, high standards to measure up against and all that!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DarkCrawler posted:

Well, high standards to measure up against and all that!

He might say that Sue is adequete

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mister Roboto posted:

I wish I knew the source but it's probably a recent X-men.

Kitty's (That is Kitty, right?) comment about how she'll never get married because no man can compare to Wolverine is pretty weird.

• Locked thread