Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which show has the most (current or future) jobbers wrestling on it?
This poll is closed.
WWE NXT 62 16.36%
WWE Superstars 75 19.79%
WWE Saturday Morning Slam - lmao this thread is old 24 6.33%
WWE Main Event 22 5.80%
Impact Wrestling 196 51.72%
Total: 379 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

HulkaMatt posted:

I didn't think it'd be discussed in here so I put it in the spoilers thread. I have to ask:

FCW???

That's the old FCW arena. I guess they still run house shows there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

That poo poo has been shut down for over a year and they still have those banners up?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

HulkaMatt posted:

That poo poo has been shut down for over a year and they still have those banners up?

The NXT website is still https://www.fcwwrestling.com

Besides, where else are you going to put your giant Mason Ryan wall hangings?

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I attributed that to laziness.

Dude will succeed either way but it's really annoying that everyone needs to be the same and they feel the need to get rid of one of the more successful gimmicks in wrestling the last decade.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

HulkaMatt posted:

I attributed that to laziness.

Dude will succeed either way but it's really annoying that everyone needs to be the same and they feel the need to get rid of one of the more successful gimmicks in wrestling the last decade.

Yeah. Taking off his mask won't change the fact that he's one of the best wrestlers in the world, but it still sucks that one of the best gimmicks ever had to die. While, Bryan, Cesaro, and Ohno are obviously still Danielson, Claudio, and Hero, we won't be able to get the same experience watching Rami Sebei in the WWE and I just wish they could've given him a shot as a luchador under a different name.

Sears Poncho
Oct 8, 2011
They could just be trying it out, I can't imagine they'd just take the mask option off the table lightly because of merchandise and what not.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

The NXT website is still https://www.fcwwrestling.com

Besides, where else are you going to put your giant Mason Ryan wall hangings?

sell them to The Gayest Poster?

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Sears Poncho posted:

They could just be trying it out, I can't imagine they'd just take the mask option off the table lightly because of merchandise and what not.

You don't follow the WWE much, do you?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Thauros posted:

Yeah. Taking off his mask won't change the fact that he's one of the best wrestlers in the world, but it still sucks that one of the best gimmicks ever had to die. While, Bryan, Cesaro, and Ohno are obviously still Danielson, Claudio, and Hero, we won't be able to get the same experience watching Rami Sebei in the WWE and I just wish they could've given him a shot as a luchador under a different name.
I like to imagine Vince being adamant and repeating, "But he's Canadian and pretending to be Mexican, I don't get it which means the audience won't get it either! Because I have the pulse on the WWE Universe because I'm Vincent Kennedy McMahon DAMNIT!!! :argh:"

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It has to be said, the "We told you so" smugness coming from dirtsheet writers and some indy guys is loving sickening.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is Rami wrestling on the newest episode of NXT, or was it something less than the actual TV show?

Minitrue
Aug 6, 2010
It seems as though it was a house show.

This bums me out more than it should. Wonder what name he'll end up with.

edit: it will be weirder hearing a him cut a generic NXT promo.

Minitrue fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Mar 8, 2013

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
He apparently wrestled under his real name so w/e.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

KungFu Grip posted:

He apparently wrestled under his real name so w/e.

Not only that, but in a tag team with Chris Hero against the Wyatt Family according to f4w. Is Ohno a face now?

Minitrue
Aug 6, 2010
https://www.pwponderings.com/2013/03/07/pics-of-el-generico-maskless-from-nxt-taping/

A whole bunch of higher quality pics of Generico's debut...

Minitrue fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 8, 2013

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
not surprises really, it was pretty obvious it was going to happen.

and his background is more hosed up than being just canadian haha

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

njsykora posted:

It has to be said, the "We told you so" smugness coming from dirtsheet writers and some indy guys is loving sickening.

Why? Him ever keeping the gimmick or mask was always going to be a longshot and often times when guys get signed they'll usually do a house show or two under their indy gimmick before being given something more "appropriate" when it's time to really use them.

Sears Poncho posted:

This is a company that doesn't like wrestlers having the same first name for the most part because they think it'll confuse people. I'm honestly surprised Sin Cara kept a mask too because with masked wrestlers it's generally been a case of "we have Rey Mysterio so our masked wrestler quota is fulfilled; having more guys with masks dillutes it and having a heel with a mask means we can't sell it as merch".

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Suben posted:

Why? Him ever keeping the gimmick or mask was always going to be a longshot and often times when guys get signed they'll usually do a house show or two under their indy gimmick before being given something more "appropriate" when it's time to really use them.

This is a company that doesn't like wrestlers having the same first name for the most part because they think it'll confuse people. I'm honestly surprised Sin Cara kept a mask too because with masked wrestlers it's generally been a case of "we have Rey Mysterio so our masked wrestler quota is fulfilled; having more guys with masks dillutes it and having a heel with a mask means we can't sell it as merch".

Yeah, as soon as he said that he "was going back to Mexico to take care of the orphans" I knew he was saying goodbye to the mask and gimmick. This still loving sucks aand I'm going to have to watch one of my Generico DVDs tomorrow to cheer myself up.

deadkiller615
Aug 7, 2007
yea, I kill dead stuff. so what?

Hopefully after around 10 years in the WWE he makes a suprise return to a PWG show or a king of trios team :unsmith:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
If nothing else, he's got a good look.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Rey Mysterio and Sin Cara have got an iron grip monopoly on masks.

Alberto Del Rio was unmasked when he joined FCW (It worked).
Hunico & Epico were unmasked when they moved up to the main roster (It probably didn't matter either way)
There was some Lucha Doctor gimmick FCW had employed for a while. They made him take his mask off, then fired him without using him at all.

I don't know what it is about the WWE and their phobia of having multiple masked superstars.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I think it's still way to early to say it's the end of Generico. He's still doing house shows under his real name. This is more than likely a trial to see how he is under a new gimmick. To be honest, he's got no gimmick right now. We probably won't see him on NXT proper until June or July.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

rotinaj posted:

If nothing else, he's got a good look.

Except he really doesn't. He's a great wrestler with or without the mask but Rami Sebei (or whatever his WWE name winds up being): The Skinny and Kind of Goofy-Looking Redheaded French-Canadian is probably going to be a harder sell to people than El Generico: The Goofy But Extremely Talented Luchadore with the Cool Mask.

WWE's insistence that they own every gimmick for every guy who appears for them whether they came up with it before going to the WWE or not (I think it was mentioned earlier in another thread that they wanted to own Honky Tonk Man's gimmick recently as part of getting him to sign a Legends deal or whatever) and/or that they can only have one or two of a certain kind of guy is just really annoying. Like was said earlier for guys like Bryan, Ohno, and Cesaro the change is fine because their "gimmicks" were easy enough to translate regardless of name. With Generico, however, taking his entire look away from him, something that helps him stand out as more than just another skinny white dude from the indies, is just kind of dumb. You've still got a great wrestler but if great wrestling alone got you over to WWE crowds then, say, Cesaro wouldn't be getting mild reactions. Whereas, as has been mentioned a thousand times, for a company pushing itself to kids El Generico as a character would have a lot of appeal.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Flameingblack posted:

Rey Mysterio and Sin Cara have got an iron grip monopoly on masks.

Alberto Del Rio was unmasked when he joined FCW (It worked).
Hunico & Epico were unmasked when they moved up to the main roster (It probably didn't matter either way)
There was some Lucha Doctor gimmick FCW had employed for a while. They made him take his mask off, then fired him without using him at all.

I don't know what it is about the WWE and their phobia of having multiple masked superstars.

WWE wanted to bring in Santo apparently and unmask him.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Suben posted:

Except he really doesn't. He's a great wrestler with or without the mask but Rami Sebei (or whatever his WWE name winds up being): The Skinny and Kind of Goofy-Looking Redheaded French-Canadian is probably going to be a harder sell to people than El Generico: The Goofy But Extremely Talented Luchadore with the Cool Mask.

I disagree and thinks he looks pretty good in those pictures. :colbert:

Sure, the mask ruled. But he doesn't look as bad as Jigsaw did when HE unmasked. So I'm gonna hope that Generico can handle himself even without the mask. Dude's probably one of the best actors alive. I'm on board the "Let's see what he can do" train.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

KungFu Grip posted:

WWE wanted to bring in Santo apparently and unmask him.

Stephanie wanted to unmask Ultimo Dragon.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

HulkaMatt posted:

Stephanie is a fool.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

HulkaMatt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai9FUJL71Bs

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Wow, he's actually a really good looking dude. Has he bulked up a little in the last few months? Looks like it.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Didn't Ultimo want to unmask Ultimo too?

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I have altered my retirement plans. Pray I do not alter them any further.
El Local still wrestles under a mask.

:colbert:

(So has Kane again for a while)

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

The GIG posted:

Didn't Ultimo want to unmask Ultimo too?
That's what I always heard.

TheHock posted:

El Local still wrestles under a mask.

:colbert:

(So has Kane again for a while)
Because Ricardo was a wrestler who was hired a valet and this is a way to double-dip and have him as a jobber and a valet. Kane doesn't count tho

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."

Memento1979 posted:

Wow, he's actually a really good looking dude. Has he bulked up a little in the last few months? Looks like it.

He is which is probably the impetus behind wanting to at least try him out unmasked. Having another good looking fella on the roster isn't irrelevant.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Man, when unmasked Generico and Cesaro are a comedy European(Canada is America's Europe) tag team in like a few months, we'll all be sorry for doubting.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

The thing about Generico is because of the mask, he was so fun and easy to get behind and very sympathetic. He's going to have to change a lot of what he's been doing for years without the mask, just because people won't as quickly connect to a maskless, capeless Canadian.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Guys we have no clue that him working without the mask on NXT is any indication of what he'll do on the main roster. Even now, Big E is a top face and the champion on NXT while he's a non-wrestling heel enforcer on Raw/SD. Rollins was the champion and still working face when Shield debuted. NXT is decidedly non-canon.

I Before E posted:

(Canada is America's Europe)

What? I'm pretty sure that Europe is America's Europe.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

It's premature to say that he's doomed to be a jobber or speculate on exactly what his WWE gimmick will be, but it's not crazy to read significance into the fact that for his first NXT match they unmasked him and put him into WWE style trunks with his color scheme. He might do great, and I sincerely hope than in a year he's able to develop a new gimmick that can take advantage of his natural babyface charisma. But it's not too early to say that he's not going to wear a mask given the evidence we've seen and the history of WWE unmasking other wrestlers in developmental.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 8, 2013

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

Guys we have no clue that him working without the mask on NXT is any indication of what he'll do on the main roster. Even now, Big E is a top face and the champion on NXT while he's a non-wrestling heel enforcer on Raw/SD. Rollins was the champion and still working face when Shield debuted. NXT is decidedly non-canon.

What? I'm pretty sure that Europe is America's Europe.
NXT only seems noncanon a lot of the time because they tape a month of episodes at one time and they naturally get behind a weekly TV show.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Considering like two weeks ago he was in full El Generico gear and hung around Brodus Clay and now he's not in El Generico gear and wrestling under his real name, it's safe to say that we have no idea what they'll do with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Memento1979 posted:

That's exactly what I'm sayin'! He didn't pop out with a banana shaped head and Colin Delaney-looking musculature. I'd say that the dude looks pretty cool, and honestly, the El Generico character had been treading water for a while now. Trust the man behind the mask to stretch his gimmick muscles and do something different. If it doesn't pan out, he goes back to the indies and gets treated like a king.

• Locked thread