Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
That Breadwinners short was amazing. It was like WarioWare: The Cartoon.

Those live action movies, however, good lord. I imagine Dan Schneider crying curled up in a fetal position in his money shower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

readingatwork posted:

Plus I really like the way they groove to the soundtrack.

That's the one thing I like about it, it's like watching somebody do a play-through of Rhythm Heaven or Space Channel 5.

DarkUltim8Hedgehog
Dec 5, 2012

Hmph, is Breadwinners really going to have such... "rough" animation when it airs on Nickelodeon? I understand that it has a very computer-animated (Flash?) feel, but this is testing my limits in terms of number of animation frames.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

mobo85 posted:

Nickelodeon, who for the first time ever is in the unusual position of having their square pants handed to them by their competition, is #2 in the upfront-go-round this year, and they seem poised to get out of SpongeBob overabundance by copying what Disney and CN have been doing.

Here's the Breadwinners short, which definitely seems to have a Regular Show vibe to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vls-7QPgiBk

Huh. So Nickelodeon turned down Adventure Time, but this is what they're willing to accept these days.

Huh.

DarkUltim8Hedgehog
Dec 5, 2012

raditts posted:

Huh. So Nickelodeon turned down Adventure Time, but this is what they're willing to accept these days.

Huh.

And people wonder why Nickelodeon is performing so poorly compared to its peers.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So I watched Ultimate Spider-man (The Black Costume episode) because there really wasn't much to do at 8.30am on a saturday morning and I'm convinced if they just did not do the cut always it'd be a serviceable cartoon.

A lot of it is explaining the jokes they just made and it's a waste of resources and it's headache inducing. You don't need a cutaway showing Galactus Blowing Spider-man up to explain why him saying "Hand up to Galactus" when he's swearing he's being truthful about who's wearing the venom costume funny, you really don't.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Xiaolin Chronicles will air on Polish Cartoon Network in October. As far as I know, the American release is still April 8, no channel announced yet.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

ConanThe3rd posted:

So I watched Ultimate Spider-man (The Black Costume episode) because there really wasn't much to do at 8.30am on a saturday morning and I'm convinced if they just did not do the cut always it'd be a serviceable cartoon.

A lot of it is explaining the jokes they just made and it's a waste of resources and it's headache inducing. You don't need a cutaway showing Galactus Blowing Spider-man up to explain why him saying "Hand up to Galactus" when he's swearing he's being truthful about who's wearing the venom costume funny, you really don't.

Even without the cutaways, the show still has major problems. There is an episode where Iron Man meets Spider-Man, invites him to Stark Industries and builds him his own Spider-Man themed power suit for him to goof off and be a dink with (which SHIELD is totally cool with him having).

That doesn't sound like Spider-Man to me. That sounds like amateur Spider-Man fan fiction.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

FrostedButts posted:

Even without the cutaways, the show still has major problems. There is an episode where Iron Man meets Spider-Man, invites him to Stark Industries and builds him his own Spider-Man themed power suit for him to goof off and be a dink with (which SHIELD is totally cool with him having).

That doesn't sound like Spider-Man to me. That sounds like amateur Spider-Man fan fiction.

If it's the same episode I'm thinking of, I'm pretty sure they're not cool with it, mainly because he keeps loving everything up using it. Don't they make him get rid of it at the end?

shadowman mk2
May 8, 2007

Well If you ever wanted to see the banned episode of Dexter's Lab here you go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d12iz1u_wJk. Don't know how long it will stay up though because they're usually pretty quick in taking it down.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

shadowman mk2 posted:

Well If you ever wanted to see the banned episode of Dexter's Lab here you go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d12iz1u_wJk. Don't know how long it will stay up though because they're usually pretty quick in taking it down.

This was uploaded like a month ago by Adult Swim. It's not being taken down.

shadowman mk2
May 8, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

This was uploaded like a month ago by Adult Swim. It's not being taken down.

Ah really? I guess I'm more out of touch with this kind of stuff than I thought I was.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

raditts posted:

If it's the same episode I'm thinking of, I'm pretty sure they're not cool with it, mainly because he keeps loving everything up using it. Don't they make him get rid of it at the end?

Nope, SHIELD lets him keep it for experimental purposes or something like that. And just to push that scene right over the edge of absurdity, Peter Parker fumbles with the device and ends up breaking more crap with the suit.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

FrostedButts posted:

I can't stand watching that loving cartoon, but I mean, like, uh, I guess, y'know, uh, I'd assume that it's uh

This thing from the comics. Like 6 years ago. Probably.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
The "best" part of that was keeping it at only three arms because otherwise then-EIC Quesada would have to admit he made a mistake when he first drew the design.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hahaha, someone reuploaded the video of the 'best' parts of the Darkstalkers cartoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiHRLUIZzs4

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The MSJ posted:

Hahaha, someone reuploaded the video of the 'best' parts of the Darkstalkers cartoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiHRLUIZzs4

Wow, I had no idea this ever existed. And here I was thinking it couldn't possibly get worse than the Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat cartoons.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

raditts posted:

Wow, I had no idea this ever existed. And here I was thinking it couldn't possibly get worse than the Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat cartoons.

Don't forget the Mega-Man cartoon. For some reason, more people give this one a pass and it has to be massive nostalgia.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MizTlnwkzi4

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

FrostedButts posted:

Don't forget the Mega-Man cartoon. For some reason, more people give this one a pass and it has to be massive nostalgia.

Doesn't seem as bad as Darkstalkers, though. Well, except for borderline fetish stuff and the apparent misogyny.

One thing about that Darkstalkers cartoon. Should a "succubus" even be in a kids cartoon?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

FrostedButts posted:

I was blissfully ignorant of that one too. I thought the retarded knockoff Megaman from Captain N was the only one that ever showed up in a Saturday Morning cartoon (aside from that lovely Megaman Battle Network cartoon, of course).

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I remember the Mega Man cartoon because it was a staple of my Saturday mornings. It was stupid, but not Darkstalkers stupid. However, Cut Man's puns were loving unbearable. Like, the Robot Masters made bad jokes a lot anyway, but Cut Man never stopped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5TBeX405bc

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

The MSJ posted:

One thing about that Darkstalkers cartoon. Should a "succubus" even be in a kids cartoon?
She's from a videogame aimed at kids... and there's no sex or anything... so?

There have probably been more hosed up mythological references in kids stuff than rape demons.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Moved into my own place, got to choose my own TV service, got a decent plan, now get Hub.

Watched Aquabats Super Show for the first time last night. How have I been living without this :allears:

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

FrostedButts posted:

I think it's also because it had a theme song that was pretty bad but one of those "bad but fun" type of bads haha.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Angry Beavers was recommended to me on Netflix, so I tried watching an episode. Made it about ten minutes in before I had enough. There's something uncomfortably off with the pacing, like the team was forced to stretch a four minute sketch into a 15 minute block.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

FrostedButts posted:

I tried watching that one a couple of years ago for shits, and honestly? I remember people giving it a lot of crap and I can't say it deserved near as much as it did. Compare it to the Street Fighter animated series that came out or the Darkstalkers animated series and it looks so much better (they actually got the origin story for Megaman pretty right, so that's a plus!). It seemed like it was pretty ok for what you'd expect out of the 90's from a video game cartoon.

Plus the theme song and opening they had for it were slick as hell, even if they're a little bit different in terms of style than the cartoon itself (which apparently was more along the style they wanted to go with, but the focus groups they had for it didn't respond well to it).

Plus they were apparently planning to put Bass in, and Bass owns. :colbert:

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?
The new shows coming out of the kid cable pipeline really seem to be of the "creator-driven series where the creator is a young CalArts graduate" variety. Pen Ward, J.G. Quintel, and Alex Hirsch all fit that description, and now we can add another. It's nice to see new cartoons with female creators, and this sounds like it can be a fun action/comedy mix if done right.

Disney Channel posted:

Disney Channel has ordered “Star and the Forces of Evil” (working title), an animated comedy adventure about a fun-loving magical teen princess from another dimension who — after a few bold skirmishes with other-worldly monsters — is sent by her Royal Parents to live with the Diaz family on Earth. Eden Sher (ABC’s “The Middle”) provides the voice of the lead character, Star Butterfly. Production has begun for a scheduled Fall 2014 premiere. The announcement was made today by Eric Coleman, Senior Vice President, Original Series, Disney Television Animation.

Artist and writer Daron Nefcy is the series creator and co-executive producer. She is a 2009 California Institute of the Arts (CalArts) graduate whose work has been showcased throughout the Los Angeles underground art community. Her television credits include recent work on Disney Channel’s upcoming animated series, “Wander Over Yonder,” and the Warner Bros. animated series “MAD.” Emmy and Annie Award-winning director Dave Wasson (“The Buzz on Maggie,” “Making Fiends”) is co-executive producer and director, and Annie Award-winning writer Jordana Arkin (“Melissa and Joey,” “Will & Grace”) is co-executive producer and story editor.

Coleman said: “Disney continues to focus on discovering fresh voices in animation. When Daron pitched her show, we fell in love with her characters, her style and her sensibility. And with the deep talent and experience of Dave Wasson and Jordana Arkin, this show furthers our commitment to create great new stories for kids and families.”

“Star and the Forces of Evil” tells the stories of other-worldly teen princess Star Butterfly, who must settle in to her new Earthly home with the Diaz family. Soon she takes their teenage son, Marco, on adventures to help her battle evil villains, whether throughout the universe or in their high school, all in an effort to protect her powerful magic wand… which Star still figuring out how to use.

mobo85 fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 8, 2013

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

madeupfred posted:

Angry Beavers was recommended to me on Netflix, so I tried watching an episode. Made it about ten minutes in before I had enough. There's something uncomfortably off with the pacing, like the team was forced to stretch a four minute sketch into a 15 minute block.

Man what :psyduck: Angry Beavers is one of the funniest cartoons and TV shows in general I've watched

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

TheKingofSprings posted:

I tried watching that one a couple of years ago for shits, and honestly? I remember people giving it a lot of crap and I can't say it deserved near as much as it did. Compare it to the Street Fighter animated series that came out or the Darkstalkers animated series and it looks so much better (they actually got the origin story for Megaman pretty right, so that's a plus!). It seemed like it was pretty ok for what you'd expect out of the 90's from a video game cartoon.

Plus the theme song and opening they had for it were slick as hell, even if they're a little bit different in terms of style than the cartoon itself (which apparently was more along the style they wanted to go with, but the focus groups they had for it didn't respond well to it).

I still get the theme song stuck in my head every now and again. No one thought it was good, it was entertaining. Plus there was the episode where X showed up from the future. I hated most of the regular henchmen that showed up(Cuts and Guts), but there were occasions when Magnet Man, or Snake Man showed up and it'd be neat.

I..also liked the Street Fighter cartoon, it had nothing to do with anything. It was all about M. Bison, though. Again, so goofy that it was entertaining.

Much better than the Mortal Kombat cartoon.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Things I know about Megaman from watching the cartoon as a kid:

-He's a super fighting robot
-

IanJ
Dec 27, 2003

a real magic skeleton

mobo85 posted:

"creator-driven series where the creator is a young CalArts graduate" variety ... Rebecca Sugar

Actually she didn't go to CalArts. I dunno how that misinformation gets out there.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?
You are indeed correct and I apologize. I was thinking of the fact that many modern cartoon creators right now are either young or CalArts graduates. I knew off the top of my head that Hirsch was, and after discovering that Quintel and Ward also fit both qualifiers, I mistakenly lumped Sugar in there as well. (Get it? Sugar? Lumped? That's a joke, son!)

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

mobo85 posted:

The new shows coming out of the kid cable pipeline really seem to be of the "creator-driven series where the creator is a young CalArts graduate" variety. Pen Ward, J.G. Quintel, and Alex Hirsch all fit that description, and now we can add another. It's nice to see new cartoons with female creators, and this sounds like it can be a fun action/comedy mix if done right.

Daron Nefcy has her own tumbler site.

thelaughingman fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 8, 2013

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Did you see Bee & PuppyCat? It's an upcoming CartoonHangover-show that looks adorable like hell. The promo had nothing but promotional art and animatics, so it's probably gonna be a while until the cartoon shows up, but I'm interested.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I'm seeing promos for the "90's are all that block" for the Kids Choice Award.

Kind of bizarre they are going nostalgic for it. My memories of it as a kid growing up was that it was terrible, and wasting value time in which I could have been watching Cartoons.

Looking at it now? Yeah, it's still terrible.

Also I wish they'd go away from the format of showing All-That and Kenan And Kel everytime. It's so played out at this point.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm looking forward to the Xiaolin Chronicles. Is there a UK air date yet? I'm so Skyboxing this :3:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I don't know who all was watching that Star Wars: Clone Wars show (I was not), but I hope you weren't too invested, because it ain't coming back

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

raditts posted:

Nick Jr. did a massive format overhaul last March and everything new they've had since then has been dogshit. The worst offender probably being NickMom, their very own retarded version of Adult Swim.
Hasn't Nick Jr.'s programming been horrible for a while before that? I've heard that a lot of their shows are hyperactive ADHD-enabling crap like Wow! Wow! Wubbzy! I remember a time when they played Rugrats, Muppet Babies, and The Muppet Show while their original programming was forgettable, aside from Blue's Clues of course.

J2DK posted:

Speaking of Nickelodeon, in my opinion the best show they have right now is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. It's the only one my kids watch anymore. We didn't even know Fairly Odd Parents was still going.
I saw an episode of it (the one where April gives her DNA to the Global Genome Project) and I think it's pretty drat good. I remember someone in this thread a while ago saying it's a mix of the first cartoon's silliness and the second cartoon's plot-based action, and I'd say that's an accurate presentation. My only gripe with it is that the turtles look ugly as hell.

DarkUltim8Hedgehog posted:

And people wonder why Nickelodeon is performing so poorly compared to its peers.
Are there any shows that Nickelodeon has that even compare to the juggernauts that are Regular Show, Adventure Time, and Phineas & Ferb? I haven't heard much about Legend of Korra (positive or negative), and while TMNT is good, I doubt it's as popular as the previous three shows.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Things I know about Megaman from watching the cartoon as a kid:

-He's a super fighting robot
-
I remember seeing an episode where there were a bunch of alien lion men that take over Hawaii, and every time they touched a person, he also became a lion man. It's as hosed up as it sounds.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Also I wish they'd go away from the format of showing All-That and Kenan And Kel everytime. It's so played out at this point.
Chalk up another great idea that was ruined by poor execution. There's a veritable well of shows that they could dip into, but they're sticking with two live-action shows that were hit-or-miss followed by two Nicktoons. Mix it up a little- I'd like to see a week of Legends of the Hidden Temple, Double Dare, Wild and Crazy Kids, and other game shows.

TwoPair posted:

I don't know who all was watching that Star Wars: Clone Wars show (I was not), but I hope you weren't too invested, because it ain't coming back
It got five seasons and the franchise is now owned by Disney, so I can think of two reasons why it's dead.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Y-Hat posted:

I haven't heard much about Legend of Korra (positive or negative),

Korra's pretty good. It's no Last Airbender, but it's still a solid show. Let's see if that second season ever gets to air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Y-Hat posted:

It got five seasons and the franchise is now owned by Disney, so I can think of two reasons why it's dead.

Now that new Star Wars movies are being made just about all the auxiliary SW projects are being shut down so all the media focus will be on Episode 7 and beyond. The 3D theatrical releases of the other 5 Star Wars movies were cancelled too.