Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

theblackw0lf posted:

It's really not that important to play the original campaign to play MOTB. I'd just read a summary of the original game and you'll be fine. It's really it's own self-contained (and amazingly awesome) story.

There is one character that you won't understand the significance to in MOTB if you haven't played the original. And you might miss some of that character arc. But not sure it's worth playing 50 hours just for that. Though the original campaign does have it's own moments of greatness.

If you start playing the original campaign and enjoy it I'd say just keep playing it. But if you find it a slog, no problem just skipping it and giving MOTB a go.
The NWN2 main campaign is hardly at all important to enjoy the story of Mask of the Betrayer. However, unless you know D&D 3.5 like the back of your hand, you're going to be very lost meeting MotB's epic-level gameplay right off the bat. Add in the fact that if you don't import you'll be stuck with an underleveled premade character, and the infamous Spirit Eater mechanic (admittedly easily disabled via console) on top of that...

You may give it a try, but if you find yourself staring dumbfounded at Safiya's spell list, you should probably go back and play NWN2's main campaign. Which has some infamous "sewer levels", plot holes, and a very Obsidian ending, yes, but still is not a bad game by any means and in fact has a lot of memorable shiny gems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fugue Stater
Oct 17, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

You may give it a try, but if you find yourself staring dumbfounded at Safiya's spell list, you should probably go back and play NWN2's main campaign. Which has some infamous "sewer levels", plot holes, and a very Obsidian ending, yes, but still is not a bad game by any means and in fact has a lot of memorable shiny gems.

The NWN2 original campaign was pretty forgettable (I literally can't remember most of the plot), but the game was much better than NWN1, and managing Crossroads Keep (a base of operations) was quite enjoyable. Some of the characters were pretty cringe-worthy, though (especially that harpy fire sorceress).

fermun posted:

By the time Torment is funded, it will have been nearly 6 months since Project Eternity was funded. It's possible his role in Project Eternity won't be as large by that time and he will then have some time to do Torment.

I bet Ziets' involvement bodes well for fans of cross-over references/cameos.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
Well by 9:00/30 tonight, we should all get ourselves a clump of goo

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBc842j4vpU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That sounds good, but it's maybe a bit on the nose. I'd like the music to have its own personality, too.

Edit: Should've listened to the whole thing before posting. Yeah, it's really good.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Fugue Stater posted:

The NWN2 original campaign was pretty forgettable (I literally can't remember most of the plot), but the game was much better than NWN1, and managing Crossroads Keep (a base of operations) was quite enjoyable. Some of the characters were pretty cringe-worthy, though (especially that harpy fire sorceress).
I was one of the bigger fans of Neverwinter Nights 2, in no small part because I felt like Neverwinter Nights was one of the only CRPGs I ever played that not only got worse as I played it, but got retroactively worse; as soon as I left the first part of the game and realized the setup was such that I would never be able to go back and re-visit that area again, and that the rest of the game's parts would be the same, I suddenly felt like I was playing some B-grade fan campaign (albeit a nicely polished one). The entire setup of that engine was so disappointing for actual campaigns.

Oh, but yes, Neverwinter Nights 2, I dunno, I really thought the Githzerai story was great, the Ammon Jerro or whoever stuff was amazing, the Keep was a solidly fun side element ... and to be fair I was a huge fan of Grobnar and pretty much kept him with me exclusively, as really I just want Minsc and Jan Jansen at my side in every game ever.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Quarex posted:

I felt like Neverwinter Nights was one of the only CRPGs I ever played that not only got worse as I played it, but got retroactively worse; as soon as I left the first part of the game and realized the setup was such that I would never be able to go back and re-visit that area again, and that the rest of the game's parts would be the same
Hahaha, I thought it was one of the worst rpgs I had played in years because of this, and I couldn't figure out why everyone was raving about it (construction kit maybe - heard latter mods were great). The above and level 1 goblins invade the castle and kill everyone made my belief evaporate a half hour into the game. Poor story *and* I can't keep my loot? Why bother playing...

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Hakkesshu posted:

That sounds good, but it's maybe a bit on the nose. I'd like the music to have its own personality, too.

Edit: Should've listened to the whole thing before posting. Yeah, it's really good.

Yeah, it's definitely got some of the same flavours he used in the original Torment, but this is very much awesome on its own too.

I'm so pleased, I'm going to be able to have a multi-hour playlist for painting that's just Mark Morgan's work.

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile
Mark Morgan has a signature style you can kind of recognize across all of his projects, but I think he's given it a nice new twist.

fermun posted:

By the time Torment is funded, it will have been nearly 6 months since Project Eternity was funded. It's possible his role in Project Eternity won't be as large by that time and he will then have some time to do Torment.
It shouldn't be a huge issue. Torment has a very long pre-production time so while he's certainly not available fulltime now, he can roll into the team more later, just like Monte is doing.

CottonWolf posted:

Unless I'm misreading we do get them all?
All novellas are in digitally from 95 up, yes

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Great! Are there any estimations for shelf price so I can start setting aside the necessary funds?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

theblackw0lf posted:

It's really not that important to play the original campaign to play MOTB. I'd just read a summary of the original game and you'll be fine. It's really it's own self-contained (and amazingly awesome) story.

There is one character that you won't understand the significance to in MOTB if you haven't played the original. And you might miss some of that character arc. But not sure it's worth playing 50 hours just for that. Though the original campaign does have it's own moments of greatness.

If you start playing the original campaign and enjoy it I'd say just keep playing it. But if you find it a slog, no problem just skipping it and giving MOTB a go.

That's what makes it so horrible. I've already played all the way through the NWN2 campaign. In fact, I've bitched in several threads about horrible I thought the very end was. You're all crushed by rocks. The end. I don't give a poo poo that they were planning an expansion. That was a horrible way to end a 50+ hour epic RPG. Worse then Eye of the Beholder dumping you to the DOS prompt and printing 'congratulations'. But that was back when NWN2 came out, quite a long time ago.

It's like an OCD thing. It just feels ~wrong~ to roll up a level 20 character and start MOTB. I have to ~earn~ those levels. :negative:

Quarex posted:

I was a huge fan of Grobnar

Jesus CHRIST, man! What the gently caress? Grobnar? GROBNAR? :stare:

Grobnar the physically painful to listen to? Grobnar the Olympic Gold Medal finalist for world's most annoying NPC?

DUDE. Seek help.

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 8, 2013

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

Brought To You By posted:

Great! Are there any estimations for shelf price so I can start setting aside the necessary funds?

Probably starting out at around the same level as the Kickstarter did, though pricing is subject to change (we run a constant early-adopter method of slowly bumping up prices to our release-point price, but this mostly affects digital, not so much physical).

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

theblackw0lf posted:

So basically this is the Planescape/ Mask of the Betrayer creative team, minus Chris Avellone.

I'm pretty drat happy about that :)

Wait this has the Mask of the Betrayer creative team on it? As in the guys who made the only good official Neverwinter Nights(2 in this case) expansion pack and it was epic level at that?

If that's true then I may even drop some money on this.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Fintilgin posted:

That's what makes it so horrible. I've already played all the way through the NWN2 campaign. In fact, I've bitched in several threads about horrible I thought the very end was. You're all crushed by rocks. The end. I don't give a poo poo that they were planning an expansion. That was a horrible way to end a 50+ hour epic RPG. Worse then Eye of the Beholder dumping you to the DOS prompt and printing 'congratulations'. But that was back when NWN2 came out, quite a long time ago.

It's like an OCD thing. It just feels ~wrong~ to roll up a level 20 character and start MOTB. I have to ~earn~ those levels. :negative:

Grobnar the physically painful to listen to? Grobnar the Olympic Gold Medal finalist for world's most annoying NPC?

DUDE. Seek help.

I remember so little about that game. I just remember NWN 1 was more fun to play, and better put together.

And now I remember Grobnar. Yeah....

Best character arc I remember. The evil human ranger guy. Hanging out, saying funny things occasionally. Dies. Seem him in MotB, see him get dragged into purgatory. Remember thinking that was neat.

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 8, 2013

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

LogicNinja posted:

Long version: http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?626446-Let-s-Read-The-Complete-Book-of-Elves

Here is the very first thing you read when you start on the book:

Short version: YES. And I say that as someone who's played a lot of elves.

The snootiest of elves, at that.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Quarex posted:

I was one of the bigger fans of Neverwinter Nights 2, in no small part because I felt like Neverwinter Nights was one of the only CRPGs I ever played that not only got worse as I played it, but got retroactively worse; as soon as I left the first part of the game and realized the setup was such that I would never be able to go back and re-visit that area again, and that the rest of the game's parts would be the same, I suddenly felt like I was playing some B-grade fan campaign (albeit a nicely polished one). The entire setup of that engine was so disappointing for actual campaigns.

Oh, but yes, Neverwinter Nights 2, I dunno, I really thought the Githzerai story was great, the Ammon Jerro or whoever stuff was amazing, the Keep was a solidly fun side element ... and to be fair I was a huge fan of Grobnar and pretty much kept him with me exclusively, as really I just want Minsc and Jan Jansen at my side in every game ever.

Neverwinter Nights was brilliant for what it was, a D&D CRPG Construction Set. The Original Campaign was pretty lacking, but the follow ups weren't half bad, and the fan created stuff ranged from godawful to absolutely awesome. I loved Crossroads Keep in 2, although the rest of it was give or take. The one thing I really missed from BG/IWD were magic items/weapons with histories, most of the really good stuff was crafted in NWN2. I never, ever, ever, used Grobnar for anything.

Noricae posted:

Hahaha, I thought it was one of the worst rpgs I had played in years because of this, and I couldn't figure out why everyone was raving about it (construction kit maybe - heard latter mods were great). The above and level 1 goblins invade the castle and kill everyone made my belief evaporate a half hour into the game. Poor story *and* I can't keep my loot? Why bother playing...

Yeah, if you never visited the NWNVault, then you missed the best part of NWN. Don't get me wrong, there were a lot of horrible fan modules, but some of the best were truly brilliant and a few of those creators found jobs in the games industry.

I'm pretty psyched for Torment (and $75 poorer). Brian, Colin, and the crew are saying all of the right things. It wouldn't really matter, because I've been an Interplay fan from back when they were an independent studio working for EA. Speaking of which, I'd be all over an 'Arctic Fox' remake. That was one of my best gaming memories, ever.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

LogicNinja posted:

Long version: http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?626446-Let-s-Read-The-Complete-Book-of-Elves

Here is the very first thing you read when you start on the book:

Short version: YES. And I say that as someone who's played a lot of elves.

I've never forgiven myself for having bought that book in middle school. Or McComb.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

AbsolutelySane posted:

Neverwinter Nights ... the fan created stuff ranged from godawful to absolutely awesome. ... if you never visited the NWNVault, then you missed the best part of NWN. Don't get me wrong, there were a lot of horrible fan modules, but some of the best were truly brilliant and a few of those creators found jobs in the games industry.
Yeah. NWN1 was one of the only things that ever got me to play a game online much (not counting 'vs' games like starcraft).

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Yep, this is definitely a thing that I like listening to with my ears.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Graph time!

from: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjRsTwF0aHv6dFVwaTF1WTI5b24tbGxpQUdQNU1TSHc#gid=13

Despite the shorter funding period, Torment is looking extremely healthy so far. It will start dropping off in rate soon but if they can have the kind of last week that Project Eternity did, inXile will need to think of stretch goals for $4.5M by the end.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I've just started playing Mask of the Betrayer for the first time as a spirit shaman and I have TWO other characters in my group and my rear end STILL gets handed to me every time I fight a group of enemies. Enemies are damage sponges of the highest order. I have, literally, a billion spells and they don't do jack.

I love the character interaction, though :allears:

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
... and with that, we're half-way to PE's total. Good luck on the next two million, Brother None.

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

The Crotch posted:

... and with that, we're half-way to PE's total. Good luck on the next two million, Brother None.

Haha. Thanks. This is beyond nuts.

I expect it to start slowing down significantly any minute now! Uh...right?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Brother None posted:

Keep up a steady number of good updates to keep interest going and you'll probably won't suffer from that bad of a drop-off. Don't let the middle period of the drive die off, Dreamfall's hurting when it comes to stretch goal funding because they let that happen for example. I'd suggest focus on explaining Numenera some more for updates, seeing is that its already a pre-established setting you can probably go fairly in depth with it.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 8, 2013

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Accordion Man posted:

Keep up a steady number of good updates to keep interest going and you'll probably won't suffer from that bad of a drop-off. Don't let the middle period of the drive die off, Dreamfall's hurting when it comes to stretch goal funding because they let that happen for example.

Just stick Chris Avellone's name on any stretch goal you want to hit and you can guarantee it'll get there. Might be a good incentive to get people through the slow middle.

Also Project Eternity had/has a great update schedule and the closer you stick to that the happier I'll be. That was very good for keeping me checking back in throughout the entire campaign.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Pyradox posted:

Just stick Chris Avellone's name on any stretch goal you want to hit and you can guarantee it'll get there. Might be a good incentive to get people through the slow middle.
Yeah, having Chris Avellone join would probably be the stretch goal everyone would want if its possible.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
It would get them a ton of extra cash, no doubt, but I suspect it's for the best he's not part of the project. It will help dampen down the general internet impression that Chris Avellone furrowed his brow one day and Planescape: Torment sprung forth, fully formed, while angels sang about him and a single shaft of light pierced the clouds to illuminate his upturned face.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Accordion Man posted:

Keep up a steady number of good updates to keep interest going and you'll probably won't suffer from that bad of a drop-off. Don't let the middle period of the drive die off, Dreamfall's hurting when it comes to stretch goal funding because they let that happen for example. I'd suggest focus on explaining Numenera some more for updates, seeing is that its already a pre-established setting you can probably go fairly in depth with it.
I'm really curious about the specifics (setting, rules, classes etc) of Numenera too, so any update on that would keep interest up, even if it's unrelated to a stretch goal ($5m stretch goal: Chris Avellone hambones for everyone.)

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile
We plan to dig into Numenera more, yes.

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah, having Chris Avellone join would probably be the stretch goal everyone would want if its possible.

Chris is currently writing for Project Eternity, writing novellas for PE and WL2, and working on the publisher pitches for Obsidian. If we add Torment to his workload, he might die. I don't want that on my conscience!!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Brother None posted:

Chris is currently writing for Project Eternity, writing novellas for PE and WL2, and working on the publisher pitches for Obsidian. If we add Torment to his workload, he might die. I don't want that on my conscience!!

But one of your stretch goals is continued life after death. He'll be fine, we just have to make that stretch goal and Chris'll live forever.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
So, am I reading this right that the Castoff's Labyrinth will be something like the Endless Paths from Project: Eternity, in that it will expand as more Kickstarter funding comes in?

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

Great Rumbler posted:

So, am I reading this right that the Castoff's Labyrinth will be something like the Endless Paths from Project: Eternity, in that it will expand as more Kickstarter funding comes in?
Yip. We're hoping to do some very interesting things with it.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Yessssssss. I loved checking in on the Project: Eternity Kickstarter to see new levels of the Endless Paths revealed, it made it that much more exciting to see how much money the campaign could bring in.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Brother None posted:

Yip. We're hoping to do some very interesting things with it.
Will each floor represent an individual Cast-off? Because that would be a neat way to do a dungeon like that and that's what it kind of sounds like.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Brother None posted:

If you look at how the big Kickstarter projects have done so far, they have all hit pretty close to 3x their first 48 hours. It will slow down, but make sure there are plans in the works for at least 2.5x what you have when you guys show up to work tomorrow.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Fintilgin posted:

DUDE. Seek help.
hahahahha

HE WAS THE ONLY ONE WHO KNEW WHAT WAS REALLY GOING ON

Now, I did not find his voice annoying. And I really would not have thought I would have any tolerance for "lol purple monkey weasel!"-style characterization. But somehow Grobnar clicked with me. It helps that the only thing I hate more than forced comedy in a game is "brooding mysterious companions," which every BioWare game has in spades (I hated Miranda so much that I messed up my otherwise-perfect Mass Effect 2 ending just to make sure she did not make it). I think the dwarf, whatever his name was, was actually my favorite companion overall, but I did unironically enjoy Grobnar.

Hmm, this post is not very much about Torment.

!TORMENT!

Also I just looked up the "Wizards of the Coast licensing Planescape" thing, and it sounds like they are willing to license it, but not to Brian Fargo. Or Colin McComb. Clearly they are waiting for Electronic Arts to propose a first-person Call of Duty/Planescape crossover game.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Quarex posted:

Also I just looked up the "Wizards of the Coast licensing Planescape" thing, and it sounds like they are willing to license it, but not to Brian Fargo. Or Colin McComb. Clearly they are waiting for Electronic Arts to propose a first-person Call of Duty/Planescape crossover game.
They undoubtedly want a disposable collectable game line to go with their disposable card and book lines.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
You know, my favorite thing about NWN2 was warlocks. I don't know why, I just like the idea behind the class. Someone else apparently made a Warlock mod for DAO that got me to replay it recently, still fun.

And the most memorable thing in there was how you can be chaotic good in the game, specifically in the City Guard questline where you could take bribes and blackmail people and then immediately turn around and turn them in anyway/try to arrest them for bribery.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Quarex posted:

I don't know about you but I'd definitely play Call of Duty: The Blood War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

Quarex posted:

Joke though that was, you may not be too far off on the EA bit. I would assume if they're open to licensing it that they're hoping it gets snapped up by Bioware so they can ride that gravy train.

• Locked thread