Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

Dr. Eat posted:

Anyone have any experience with Kojen?
High variance in quality. I taught adults at a couple of branches for several years, and had a blast. Many people have a less positive experience, especially on the children's side. It comes down to the manager. If you work for one that is cool/not insane, you can learn a lot about teaching here and "graduate" to a better job in a year or two. If you get stuck in a bad department (or you're a gently caress-up), it's REALLY unpleasant. It can turn you bitter and cynical in no time. Basically, I wouldn't accept an offer from Kojen before checking out the specific school they want me for, and an interview with the manager there. Having done spot work at several branches over the years, I'd say that Kojen's adult program, though endlessly dying, is much more pleasant than their kids' program. Just be aware that hours on the adult side are fewer and less consistent. If you're OK with that, teaching adults for Kojen is one of the more fun entry-level jobs here. Should you go that route, try to avoid taking on kids' hours. You'll have them forever (adult classes run 8-10 weeks, while kids' classes never really end) and you'll resent them for taking up your Friday nights/Saturday mornings. Kids' managers are forever leaning on adult teachers to take a class or two, but you can always say no. If you need money, take a second job at a kindergarten in the afternoons instead, the kind of job you can drop in a hurry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

TetsuoTW posted:

If you only count occupied floors, even 101 probably wouldn't make that list.

Seriously, pretty much every tower in Taiwan is the same way. In fact I wouldn't be all that surprised if the tower in Kaohsiung was totally empty. It's in kind of a bizarre part of the city. My only guess is that they must have built it there to promote growth, but in the end nothing else moved in around it. So now it has grass fields that have been turned into "parks" all around it.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
So what are the good buxibans? My Hess experience has been thoroughly awful but I would like to stay in Taiwan at least another year, and all I ever hear about in this thread are the lovely megachains.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
It's always roulette to a certain extent. If you can find someone you trust to give a certain school (or if it's a chain, a certain branch) a positive endorsement, that's probably the best you can do to guarantee a good school. Otherwise, just try to learn as much as you can when doing interviews and stuff.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, generally there isn't much you can do beyond doing lot's of interviews, and hoping you luck into someplace nice. Try focusing on privately owned places if you can instead of the major chain schools which have to follow company guidelines. They are few and far between, but foreign owned places are often pretty good to work for.

Also if you can swing it try to find a place where you don't have to work full-time. My current job is only ~13 teaching hours a week (23 office hours that I'm allowed to do other things like study in), and it is SO much nicer than full-time while having almost the same pay as my full-time friends.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

quadrophrenic posted:

So what are the good buxibans? My Hess experience has been thoroughly awful but I would like to stay in Taiwan at least another year, and all I ever hear about in this thread are the lovely megachains.

What branch are you at? Some are awesome, some are infuriating.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Ravendas posted:

What branch are you at? Some are awesome, some are infuriating.

Dehe, in Yonghe. It's one of the biggest branches, and also one of the worst, I've heard tell.

I might stay with Hess if I can get a no-kindergarten contract in Kaohsiung. I like Taipei, but I've been to Kaohsiung a few times and I'm absolutely in love with the place. Considering branch transfers to Kaohsiung are apparently super-rare, I'm probably gonna jump ship in August.

To be honest, there's a lot about the Hess curriculum I'm not terribly fond of. I know Christmas performance requirements vary from branch to branch, but if most branches require the same insane requirements Dehe required, than that's not a good sign.

HappyHelmet posted:

Also if you can swing it try to find a place where you don't have to work full-time. My current job is only ~13 teaching hours a week (23 office hours that I'm allowed to do other things like study in), and it is SO much nicer than full-time while having almost the same pay as my full-time friends.

Can you get an ARC sponsored on only 13 hours? I thought there were minimum requirements.

I don't mind working full-time, though. I'm fond of making money.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

quadrophrenic posted:

Can you get an ARC sponsored on only 13 hours? I thought there were minimum requirements.

I don't mind working full-time, though. I'm fond of making money.

13 hours is just the teaching amount. I assume they include my office hours in to get the ARC.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004

quadrophrenic posted:

but I've been to Kaohsiung a few times and I'm absolutely in love with the place.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KaohsiungLiving_com/

You can follow this mailing list to see what jobs are posted.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
I think the worst part about working at the big chain schools is having to work on national holidays. The only other person I know who doesn't have to work tomorrow (and isn't a nurse or something like that) works for the same company as me.

/rant

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I never had to work on national holidays at Hess in my three years there, and never got the impression it was a common practice to make people work then.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

POCKET CHOMP posted:

I never had to work on national holidays at Hess in my three years there, and never got the impression it was a common practice to make people work then.

Agreed, most schools won't make you work national holidays. Not out of some benevolent attitude, just because the kids won't be there to be in class, period. Also, if you're there you bet at least half the CTs will be there too and they won't usually go for that.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
HESS is much more generous with holidays in my experience. It's more the companies like Joy, Shane, Melody, etc etc that make you work. Sadly most parents are more than happy to force their kids to go anyway. Which sucks for the kids and sucks for me because they will all be pissy today.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Seems like Taiwan finally relented on their download app return policy and Google Play has reopened the pay store with a 15 minute return window.

Edit: Still doesn't appear to be fully implemented yet. :-/

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 28, 2013

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Hess doesn't make you work holidays, but they do make you make them up. I'm not sure why we had to make up the Friday of CNY week, but last Friday as I was leaving the branch the manager came up and said "remember we have kindergarten tomorrow!" It was the first I had heard of it.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

quadrophrenic posted:

Hess doesn't make you work holidays, but they do make you make them up. I'm not sure why we had to make up the Friday of CNY week, but last Friday as I was leaving the branch the manager came up and said "remember we have kindergarten tomorrow!" It was the first I had heard of it.

Most companies and all government offices in Taiwan made that day up so that's just par for the course. It had to be made up since CNY didn't fall 'optimally' on the calendar.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Haraksha posted:

Seems like Taiwan finally relented on their download app return policy and Google Play has reopened the pay store with a 15 minute return window.

Yeah, it's not available to all devs yet. I can't wait till it is, then finally all this traditional Chinese stuff I made can go to use!

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Haraksha posted:

As cool as it will be to finally be able to buy apps, I hope it wasn't the Taiwanese side that buckled, because Google were being loving babies because they weren't getting to just do whatever they wanted for once.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

TetsuoTW posted:

As cool as it will be to finally be able to buy apps, I hope it wasn't the Taiwanese side that buckled, because Google were being loving babies because they weren't getting to just do whatever they wanted for once.

The article I read basically said the Taiwanese courts will stop fighting but that technically Google is breaking the law.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I dunno, do you really need a 7 day return policy on a 50NTD smartphone game? I get that the idea is they want to protect consumers, but a 7 day return policy on mobile software seems a little ridiculous.

That said, completely outside of return policies, it's actually infinitely easier to get a refund from Google than Apple anyway. Google allows developers to do refunds themselves and will often just refund you themselves if you give a decent reason such as "runs like poo poo on my phone or doesn't run at all" Apple never refunds unless something crazy happens.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Oh I totally agree that it's stupid, but Google just acting like three-year-olds about it until Taiwan just gave up is some bitch poo poo. I mean, Apple are assholes about a lot, but even they were fine with it. Although I imagine it's got a lot to do with Apple's store being curated and Google's store being the app store realization of Sturgeon's Law.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
Google can be a bully, but I don't think complaining about a stupid law constitutes acting like a three-year-old. 15 minutes might be a little short just because of the time required to download it and make sure it's what you thought it was, but 7 days? That's time to beat a game on a normal person's schedule, no poopsocking needed. lovely laws don't deserve to be followed.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

I like to traveling world and take pictures of.

Magna Kaser posted:

I dunno, do you really need a 7 day return policy on a 50NTD smartphone game? I get that the idea is they want to protect consumers, but a 7 day return policy on mobile software seems a little ridiculous.

That said, completely outside of return policies, it's actually infinitely easier to get a refund from Google than Apple anyway. Google allows developers to do refunds themselves and will often just refund you themselves if you give a decent reason such as "runs like poo poo on my phone or doesn't run at all" Apple never refunds unless something crazy happens.

I've never refunded an iOS purchase through Apple, but I did ask for (and get) a refund for Aperture from the Mac store.
I filled out a form saying how terrible the software was, how inconsistent and frustrating it was to use and that I wanted my money back so I could buy Adobe Lightroom instead. They refunded me no questions asked. This was for a ~$60 piece of software, not a 99 cent thing, so I don't know if they would be more or less willing to cooperate.

Flagellum
Dec 23, 2011

spurdo av master race so what
Hey Taiwan goons. I'm planning a short trip to Taiwan and Hong Kong. I will spend 3 days in Taiwan from 15th to 17th. Any recommendation on places to stay? I'm looking for budget hotels but I don't mind staying in hostels/guest houses. So far I have Yangmingshan, Chiang Kai-Shek Memorial Hall, and National Palace museum on my to-go list. Any cool places I shouldn't miss at this time of year?

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Flagellum posted:

Hey Taiwan goons. I'm planning a short trip to Taiwan and Hong Kong. I will spend 3 days in Taiwan from 15th to 17th. Any recommendation on places to stay? I'm looking for budget hotels but I don't mind staying in hostels/guest houses. So far I have Yangmingshan, Chiang Kai-Shek Memorial Hall, and National Palace museum on my to-go list. Any cool places I shouldn't miss at this time of year?

I enjoyed the Millennium Hot Spring in Beitou. The area around there has some nice steaming sulfuric pools.

Longshan Temple is also worth a visit. Right by the Longshan metro station. And of course go to night markets every night.

For lodging The Meeting Place is a great value if you don't mind hostels. There is a pretty good night market nearby.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Flagellum posted:

I love when I see CKS Memorial Hall on people's lists. I live right next to it, and go through the park, or the memorial building itself, as a shortcut to work just about every day. The big statue and the steps have been closed for renovations the past month or two, but the inside museum and whatever random art show they have going on are open, as is the massive park surrounding it.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Hey, I've got a radio show on ICRT this week, Friday at 8pm. I did the writing, directing and producing and any other action my boss can stick an -ing on.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Spanish Matlock posted:

Hey, I've got a radio show on ICRT this week, Friday at 8pm. I did the writing, directing and producing and any other action my boss can stick an -ing on.

i'll be interested to hear it, will you be able to stick a recording on dropbox or similar after the event (i wont be near a radio of friday at 8pm)

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

url posted:

Next game is scheduled for Wed 6th March

Tomorrow, 8:00pm, poker.

Zhongshan N Rd. Section 2, Alley 115 No. 15
中山北路二段115巷15號

Name of the place is 川娃子
If you Google Maps the address it will show the proper place, more or less. There's a big red sign with 川娃子 out front. If you're going north on Zhongshan Rd, take a right at the tiny alley in front of Mr. Onion and it's just a bit down that alley. Prepare to buy-in for at least 100NT. Beer and food are available for non-exorbitant prices. url and myself will be there, my number is 0920283112 and I'm sure most of you have url's.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
This was my saturday - much fun was had:

To elaborate further 100 a head is to cover that fact that we'll take two tables from a small joint. snack type food will be put on (chicken & meat w/o bones - is planned for tomo)

Drinks are extra, we'll divvy up between us at the end.
With most of us working the next day, imma guess it'll wind up for 11~, but feel free to cash out as you please - this isn't tournament!

Be nice to see a some of you on a regular basis.

url fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 5, 2013

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Class tonight from 8:10-9:40. One of these days, all of the money will be mine.

Oh the radio show is postponed for a while. Let's say creative difficulties.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Spanish Matlock posted:

Class tonight from 8:10-9:40. One of these days, all of the money will be mine.

Oh the radio show is postponed for a while. Let's say creative difficulties.

a shame on both counts

also:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/03/05/mi5_reddit_spy_chinese_language_recruit/

:britain:

url fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Mar 6, 2013

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Jesus Christ. They're not wrong, at least regarding the written test (I haven't checked out the listening one). Like that's the kind of thing I'd have seen in my third-year Chinese class.

fake edit: gently caress's sake, the hardest thing about that audio one is the northern-as-gently caress accent pronouncing all the w's as v's.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

TetsuoTW posted:

Jesus Christ. They're not wrong, at least regarding the written test (I haven't checked out the listening one). Like that's the kind of thing I'd have seen in my third-year Chinese class.

fake edit: gently caress's sake, the hardest thing about that audio one is the northern-as-gently caress accent pronouncing all the w's as v's.

i have to be honest, despite my lessons being on hiatus - even i could hear the strong accent.

tbh, it's reddit in the article so it's obviously overblown and overstated, it's the entry level stuff, i'm dure (and kinda hoping) an actual recruit is a damned sight better qualified than that.

tbh, i think the agencies put this stuff out in order to get the press, to get more attention, to get the best range of recruits. imho.

anyways, poker was good, needed more goons though.

tx to USDA for arranging - was a fun evening.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

url posted:

i have to be honest, despite my lessons being on hiatus - even i could hear the strong accent.

tbh, it's reddit in the article so it's obviously overblown and overstated, it's the entry level stuff, i'm dure (and kinda hoping) an actual recruit is a damned sight better qualified than that.

tbh, i think the agencies put this stuff out in order to get the press, to get more attention, to get the best range of recruits. imho.

anyways, poker was good, needed more goons though.

tx to USDA for arranging - was a fun evening.

Wednesday, April 10th it'll happen again, mark your calendars.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
Also since several people have discussed building computers here, the best advice may no longer be "go to Guanghua." Newegg Taiwan is releasing in September or October. :toot:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Speaking of tech poo poo, Kmall at Taipei Main Station is now Akisomethingbara and has full shops on the basement floor, as in you walk in and browse a shelf of motherboards, which is different than the usual hawker-style shops. Seemed interesting, though when I went, they were closing and I only got to look in one shop.

Also, ^^^ ooohhhhhhhhh my balls

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Its always nice to see the masons hired to fix your bathroom and use heavy equipment inside your domicile are already a few tallboys deep before 10 in the morning. What a country.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

GoutPatrol posted:

Its always nice to see the masons hired to fix your bathroom and use heavy equipment inside your domicile are already a few tallboys deep before 10 in the morning. What a country.

You made sure to catch up with them, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

GoutPatrol posted:

It's cool; the betel nuts counteract that.