Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Anybody have an Epic Spicy Black bean recipe?
I was thinking the usual of onion, jalapeno, garlic, ginger, and maybe a few more diced fire peppers. but i'm open to other suggestions/ideas.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I don't believe in anything with the word epic in it.

Now, what kind of black bean recipe are you talking? Soup? Heavy beans for having over rice? A hummus like creation for spreading on things?

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Now, what kind of black bean recipe are you talking? Soup? Heavy beans for having over rice? A hummus like creation for spreading on things?

I'd like to hear the Wiggles-approved black beans to have over rice recipe, if we can put in requests.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I only refer to it as epic if I've tasted it and declared it such, hence I usually don't trust the internet/google. I'm just looking for really really really good.

We are having Mexican-ish potluck here at work tomorrow. I'm amenable to either soup style or slightly thicker, either way it's going into the crock pot tonight to cook (who needs a soak!) on low all night, then stay on low tomorrow at work 'til lunch at noon.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Put a bunch of beans and vegetables and spices into the crock pot. Then maybe some lime juice at the very end. Don't forget salt.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Put a bunch of beans and vegetables and spices into the crock pot. Then maybe some lime juice at the very end. Don't forget salt.

I usually do this, Heck if im crazy i'll dry roast them in my cast iron skillet first, but was seeing if anyone had some secret ingredient tricks (I usually check my copy of the Flavor Bible before mixing too many in).

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

EVG posted:

I had an amazing roasted sweet potato soup at a restaurant, creamy, smooth, delightful with a touch of cream (or creme fraiche?) on the top.

Anyone have a tried-and-true recipe to make such a thing at home? I am afraid of Bad Internet Recipes.

Nothing?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

If I were making a thing with beans to bring to a Mexican potluck at work, I wouldn't bring black beans - I would bring peruanos or maybe pintos. But if you insist on black beans, yes, you must indeed soak them first for at least 8 hours. Then drain, and add to a crock pot to which you have already added:

Onion (lots of), chopped up and sauteed in lard
Garlic (not too much of), handled as above
Several pasilla chiles, stems removed (don't bother soaking first. Well, you can, but if you do make sure you put the soak water in the pot)
Cumin (lots of), ground fine
Oregano (lots of), bruised

Add water to cover, and cook all night. In the morning, rip up the chiles to little bits, and mash about half the beans to a good creamy consistancy. To serve, salt the beans, make sure you have crema (this is not the same as sour cream), limes (key limes preferred), and epazote leaves if you can get them (if not make sure you at least have plenty of cilantro, but it's not at all like having epazote.)

NOW IF I WERE SERVING BLACK BEANS OVER RICE I would do it with a different set of seasonings, looking more towards the Carribean where black beans are more common. In which case, I would still soak the beans, drain, add to the crockpot and then add:

Onion (lots of), chopped up and sauteed in the fat of your choice
Garlic (a whole lot of, like way way more than you think you'd want), treated as above
A bunch of fresh chiles. Habaneros would be best, but you could also make do with serranos or thai bird chiles or something like that. These should also be sauteed a bit.
Allspice (not as much as of the cumin), ground fine
Black pepper (plenty of), ground fine
Thyme (several sprigs)
Some shredded coconut (a good handful or two) (NOT THE CRAPPY STUFF YOU MAKE CAKES WITH)
A mango or some papaya or something, peeled and chopped

Cover with water, but the whole business on low for a night or a day or whatever, and serve the next day with lots of rice and some greens and maybe fried fish or fried plantains or yuca and plenty of beer. Make sure you salt the beans before serving. Nobody likes beans without salt.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

EVG posted:

Nothing?

Were there any other flavours in there? Any spices?

The simplest one, which would still be good, would be to dice and peel the sweet potato (or vice versa), coat lightly in oil, and roast at around 170C until tender and just starting to brown. (You don't really want them browned as they then won't blend smoothly). Meanwhile, chop and onion or two and sweat gently in a pan with some butter or olive oil. Once the potatoes are done and the onions are meltingly soft and sweet, add potatoes to onions, cover with stock, and blitz with an immersion blender (or place in a blender) until smooth. Season. Serve with cream, creme fraiche or yoghurt. If you like the stuff, coriander is probably a good garnish too.

If you are feeling more adventurous, good additions include grated ginger cooked with the onions; red lentils; peanut butter; coconut milk; and/or a pinch of chili or cayenne. All of them is good too!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I am making a cheese fondue (gruyere, fontina, emmentaler) with a sav blanc for dinner. What are some good items to dip? I've got broccoli and chicken (to be cooked in the same type of wine) so far. E: I also have bread.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 7, 2013

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

If I were making a thing with beans to bring to a Mexican potluck at work, I wouldn't bring black beans - I would bring peruanos or maybe pintos. But if you insist on black beans, yes, you must indeed soak them first for at least 8 hours. Then drain, and add to a crock pot to which you have already added:

Onion (lots of), chopped up and sauteed in lard
Garlic (not too much of), handled as above
Several pasilla chiles, stems removed (don't bother soaking first. Well, you can, but if you do make sure you put the soak water in the pot)
Oregano (lots of), bruised

Add water to cover, and cook all night. In the morning, rip up the chiles to little bits, and mash about half the beans to a good creamy consistancy. To serve, salt the beans, make sure you have crema (this is not the same as sour cream), limes (key limes preferred), and epazote leaves if you can get them (if not make sure you at least have plenty of cilantro, but it's not at all like having epazote.)

NOW IF I WERE SERVING BLACK BEANS OVER RICE I would do it with a different set of seasonings, looking more towards the Carribean where black beans are more common. In which case, I would still soak the beans, drain, add to the crockpot and then add:

Onion (lots of), chopped up and sauteed in the fat of your choice
Garlic (a whole lot of, like way way more than you think you'd want), treated as above
A bunch of fresh chiles. Habaneros would be best, but you could also make do with serranos or thai bird chiles or something like that. These should also be sauteed a bit.
Allspice (not as much as of the cumin), ground fine
Black pepper (plenty of), ground fine
Thyme (several sprigs)
Some shredded coconut (a good handful or two) (NOT THE CRAPPY STUFF YOU MAKE CAKES WITH)
A mango or some papaya or something, peeled and chopped

Cover with water, but the whole business on low for a night or a day or whatever, and serve the next day with lots of rice and some greens and maybe fried fish or fried plantains or yuca and plenty of beer. Make sure you salt the beans before serving. Nobody likes beans without salt.

Thanks. I'll have to speed soak the beans tonight when i get home i guess. nothing like last minute ideas.

Edit: do I have to soak the pinto beans? (I've got almost two lbs of beans, three onions, a bulb of garlic, two each jalapeno, Serrano, habanero, abs looking for the dried ones, May i substitute the Chipotle in my pantry?)

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 7, 2013

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Black bean recipe

Thanks, I made some Puerto Rican style pork shoulder last night, this'll be tasty with the leftovers. I'm new to beans because I hated the texture as a kid, but I'm all about them now.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

toplitzin posted:

Thanks. I'll have to speed soak the beans tonight when i get home i guess. nothing like last minute ideas.

Edit: do I have to soak the pinto beans? (I've got almost two lbs of beans, three onions, a bulb of garlic, two each jalapeno, Serrano, habanero, abs looking for the dried ones, May i substitute the Chipotle in my pantry?)

Soak the beans.

The chipotle will make them taste like chipotle, and you'll miss the nuance of the other flavors. It would be better to make a salsa with the chipotle to serve on the side, to measure in bit by bit. You can use fresh chiles but you'll be missing some depth of flavor. It will by no means be a bad tasting dish, though.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Is there a steak thread? I usually cook mine extremely quickly on the stove in a cast iron pan, but someone recommended a slower way that involved butter in one of the previous versions of this thread--I'm thinking about trying it now, because I have some nice grass-fed steak and organic butter. But I can't find any recipes about this method.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Its a bad idea and just keep doing what you're doing

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Corla Plankun posted:

I usually cook mine extremely quickly on the stove in a cast iron pan

This is the beginning and the end of the steak thread. Anything else goes in the grilling thread or the au poivre thread.

quote:

but someone recommended a slower way that involved butter in one of the previous versions of this thread--I'm thinking about trying it now, because I have some nice grass-fed steak and organic butter. But I can't find any recipes about this method.

Don't do this everything will be ruined.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
That steak thread is gone so thankfully you have not been guided toward the land of overcooked, underbrowned steaks.

The method you want is the one described by Alain Ducasse in this article: http://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/27/dining/the-chef-steak-with-style-easy-does-it.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

It does not involve merely cooking the steak in butter, you add butter to baste the steak later on. The main idea behind the cooking method is not the butter but the temperature and time. It involves cooking the steak for a longer time at a lower temperature. It does take some finesse and familiarity with your stove because if you cook it at too high a temp, you'll overcook the steak, if you go too low the steak will not properly brown. No matter how nice the quality of your meat is, the quantity is very important for this method. It has to be a very thick steak, 1.5" thick at minimum, 2 would be better. So read that article closely and don't attempt it if your steak is too thin.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

therattle posted:

Were there any other flavours in there? Any spices?

The simplest one, which would still be good, would be to dice and peel the sweet potato (or vice versa), coat lightly in oil, and roast at around 170C until tender and just starting to brown. (You don't really want them browned as they then won't blend smoothly). Meanwhile, chop and onion or two and sweat gently in a pan with some butter or olive oil. Once the potatoes are done and the onions are meltingly soft and sweet, add potatoes to onions, cover with stock, and blitz with an immersion blender (or place in a blender) until smooth. Season. Serve with cream, creme fraiche or yoghurt. If you like the stuff, coriander is probably a good garnish too.

If you are feeling more adventurous, good additions include grated ginger cooked with the onions; red lentils; peanut butter; coconut milk; and/or a pinch of chili or cayenne. All of them is good too!

It was a special and I couldn't make out any specific flavours other than the sweet potato and the cream, but it was oh so good. I'll try it this way with some ginger and coriander, I have both at home. I roasted the potatoes last night and made homemade stock, but then was tired and stuck it in the fridge to finish later. The taters were just shy of browned but are very soft, so hopefully they will blend ok. I love my stick blender.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Soak the beans.

The chipotle will make them taste like chipotle, and you'll miss the nuance of the other flavors. It would be better to make a salsa with the chipotle to serve on the side, to measure in bit by bit. You can use fresh chiles but you'll be missing some depth of flavor. It will by no means be a bad tasting dish, though.

Making due with what i got, I'm roasting the chilies and garlic in the oven at ~425ish for 30 minutes, using olive oil (not EV) to cook the veggies, (i work with some non pork eaters so no lard :( ) then i'll toast the cumin, grind it, and add to the crock pot. o poo poo I need to start the quick soak on the beans.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Corla Plankun posted:

Is there a steak thread? I usually cook mine extremely quickly on the stove in a cast iron pan, but someone recommended a slower way that involved butter in one of the previous versions of this thread--I'm thinking about trying it now, because I have some nice grass-fed steak and organic butter. But I can't find any recipes about this method.

You can throw butter in at the last minute. Don't open with butter because it will just burn really badly, and any heat that won't burn butter is not going to cook a steak.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
MR BIG CHEESE SIR

What's a generic Korean sauce I can make for a stir fry consisting of thin-sliced pork and bean sprouts?

I have Korean chili paste (gochujang) and soy sauce (ganjang). I also have ginger, garlic, mirin, and sesame oil.

Also, how can I keep my bean sprouts from losing all their water and making everything soggy and not stir-fry-like?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

tarepanda posted:

MR BIG CHEESE SIR

What's a generic Korean sauce I can make for a stir fry consisting of thin-sliced pork and bean sprouts?

I have Korean chili paste (gochujang) and soy sauce (ganjang). I also have ginger, garlic, mirin, and sesame oil.

Also, how can I keep my bean sprouts from losing all their water and making everything soggy and not stir-fry-like?

Mix that all together and add something a little sweet.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

If I were to make kimchi, does it have an adverse effect if the cabbage is shredded beforehand?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

mediaphage posted:

Mix that all together and add something a little sweet.

Have any rough amounts?

Mirin is plenty sweet.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

tarepanda posted:

Have any rough amounts?

Mirin is plenty sweet.

Oh, missed the mirin. Nah, just start mixing a couple of tablespoons of everything, taste, and go from there.

Semprini posted:

If I were to make kimchi, does it have an adverse effect if the cabbage is shredded beforehand?

Don't - the acids produced by the bacteria will soften the cabbage as is. If you shred it, it'll be almost mush.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Semprini posted:

If you eat it fresh no. If you're planning on fermenting it for a long time the more you break up the greens the less crisp they'll be when you get around to eating it. How important that is depends on how sensitive to that sort of thing you are. I really wouldn't use shredded cabbage myself, but it's not like it'll gently caress things up or anything. If anything you're likely to get a faster ferment going---leafy brassicas (like all cabbages) are full of lactobacilli, which are the fermentation bacteria you want to make your kimchi ferment, and I'm guessing that the rate of release of the lactobacilli varies directly with the cut/torn surface area of the greens. Never done any actually experimental investigation of this though.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Quick question, how long can I keep dough in the fridge before it goes bad? I've wrapped some up in plastic wrap yesterday, don't think I'll be using it tonight. If it would go bad by tomorrow though I'll go ahead and use it.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Leal posted:

Quick question, how long can I keep dough in the fridge before it goes bad? I've wrapped some up in plastic wrap yesterday, don't think I'll be using it tonight. If it would go bad by tomorrow though I'll go ahead and use it.

3-5 days is the sweet spot in my (limited) experience. It actually gets better after being kept in the fridge a while.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

tarepanda posted:

MR BIG CHEESE SIR

It depends on what kind of korean you're looking for. If I'm doing something on the sweeter side, I'll go heavy on soy sauce, sweet (like apple juice or mirin I guess), garlic, and just a small amount of doenjang and gochujang.

If I'm going for generic delicious firey, I like a lot of gochujang and doenjang, and just a little bit of soy and mirin to thin out the paste.

Like, I never measure, but if I'm cooking a 1/2 pound of beef or pork, I'd do like 2tbl of gochujang and doenjang, a couple cloves of garlic, a spoon of minced ginger, and like a tablespoon of apple juice. If you have mirin, I'd go about the same.

For bean sprouts, I like to blanch and dry the sprouts first, then add to a stir fry right at the end.

Edit: You should really get some doenjang. Fermented bean paste is the underlying flavor of korean meats imo.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Casu Marzu posted:

Edit: You should really get some doenjang. Fermented bean paste is the underlying flavor of korean meats imo.

nggh, I hoped I'd gotten all of the staples in one go.

Is doenjang interchangeable with miso?

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!
Yesterday I cooked some black beans with the intent of making a black bean and corn salad thingy with them today. I cooked them for 20 minutes in the pressure cooker at full pressure. I did not presoak. Was the pressure cooking sufficient or am I going to give my family stomach problems because I didn't soak them? The Internet has been giving me mixed answers.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!
Also hook me up with a good carnitas recipe/method

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Randomity posted:

Also hook me up with a good carnitas recipe/method

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Carnitas

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Also:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3518581&pagenumber=7#post412993104

and

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/07/no-waste-tacos-de-carnitas-with-salsa-verde-recipe.html

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
My girlfriend just got diagnosed with coeliac disease, so I need a recipe for something that can pass for bread. Can anyone recommend a cookbook, specifically one about baking, or just a good recipe?

Choppable
Mar 18, 2004

I've made a dough that is supposed to rise for 2,5 hours. I'm off to work a night shift soon so I don't have time for that. Is the best option to leave it in the fridge overnight and finish tomorrow?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Yes, but you'll have to factor in extra time for it to come back to room temp before it will start to rise after taking it out of the fridge.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Choppable posted:

I've made a dough that is supposed to rise for 2,5 hours. I'm off to work a night shift soon so I don't have time for that. Is the best option to leave it in the fridge overnight and finish tomorrow?

Yes. Put a very light coating of oil on it if you want, then wrap the doughball with plastic wrap so it doesn't dry out and form a "crust."

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Thanks, you rule. Took the parts of all the recipes that sound good to me and made my own version. We will see if it turns out any good in a few hours!

As for the bean thing, I've put the cooked beans in a big ole bowl of water and am letting them soak as a precaution. May turn out a bit water logged but I suppose that's better than making my kids sick. If they'll even eat them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm looking for a good bolognese recipe, the kind where you're cooking a pork shoulder for hours. All the stuff I looked up was ground meat but I swear pork shoulder bolognese is a thing.

tarepanda posted:

MR BIG CHEESE SIR

Generic, hm. Typically it's going to be sweet. You might try a jeyuk sauce for that stir fry, it's one of my favorite pork preparations here. This is the recipe I used last.

5 tb gochujang
3 tb soy
1 tb gochugaru
1 tb (apple) vinegar
1 tb sesame oil
1 tb ginger
4 garlic cloves
3? tb pear or apple juice

You could forgo the gochugaru, I didn't have any. I just squirted sriracha in until it was hot enough.

For the bean sprouts I always add them right at the end. I barely cook them at all.

tarepanda posted:

nggh, I hoped I'd gotten all of the staples in one go.

Is doenjang interchangeable with miso?

Yeah it's basically the same thing. I've never seen it used in a meat sauce though, it's mostly eaten as a condiment in the form of ssamjang or as part of some soups like doenjang jjigae. Could be a regional thing, I live in the southeast corner of the country. Ssamjang is virtually always on the table at a barbecue restaurant but it's not part of something like a stir fry. You include it in the lettuce wrap.

For your Korean pantry staples, I'd have: gochujang, ssamjang, doenjang, ganjang, gochugaru, sesame oil, vinegar. Koreans use a lot of sugar and corn syrup but I tend to leave that out, that's a personal taste thing. Sriracha complements Korean flavors well and lets you add more heat without ending up with overwhelming gochujang flavor. Fish sauce is also used occasionally, Squid brand is common here. And ginger/garlic/kimchi should be around in your more perishable supplies. Korean soups also frequently use Korean dashi, which is made with kombu and dried anchovies instead of katsuobushi. You can probably substitute Japanese dashi no problem.