Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Jamesman posted:

Worst Cooks is an awful show. They've got a vegetarian on there, but don't show him any vegetarian dishes? They've got a guy that's dairy-free, but make him taste food with dairy in it, causing him to get sick? I mean I get that trainwreck TV is popular because we're a horrible country, but for gently caress sake...

To be fair, I saw that episode too, and Anne Burrell told both of them "Just have a small taste of the gelato so you don't get sick" and "We have some vegan options for your burgers like portabellos" and they ignored her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
The guy isn't supposed to have ANY dairy, but they kind of pressured him into eating it. The burger they made later had a yogurt sauce on it too. As for the vegetarian, basically saying "there's vegetables over there" isn't really helping the guy. You don't cook a mushroom like you do meat. You don't give it the same flavors like you do with meat. Heating up a mushroom on a grill and putting it on a bun, or trying to be creative with it, would be lovely compared to the options the others were shown for "real" burgers. He got zero instruction.

If these guys have special diets, why are they being taught dishes they aren't going to use or easily be able to re-purpose for their needs? I know the answer (the class they're in isn't suited for their needs), but it's a lovely, frustrating answer.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Jamesman posted:

Worst Cooks is an awful show. They've got a vegetarian on there, but don't show him any vegetarian dishes? They've got a guy that's dairy-free, but make him taste food with dairy in it, causing him to get sick? I mean I get that trainwreck TV is popular because we're a horrible country, but for gently caress sake...

To be fair they do this all the time on Chopped, except it's worse because that'll have them working with stuff against their religious beliefs. Muslim? Have pork in your basket!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

axleblaze posted:

To be fair they do this all the time on Chopped, except it's worse because that'll have them working with stuff against their religious beliefs. Muslim? Have pork in your basket!

True, and that's pretty lovely, but at least those are professional chefs who aren't learning to feed themselves.

Carrot Wheel
May 6, 2007

time is like a circle which is endlessly described
Aadip would have been better off just throwing a block of tofu on the grill and then slapping that on the bun.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
In general Worst Cooks just isn't actually about teaching these people poo poo. The people that succeed likely don't need much help. I'm not an awful cook but I'd have trouble on the show because all they do is briefly show their team how to make something once and then expect them to pull it off on their first try with little to no help. That's just a terrible way to teach anyone, and especially people that don't understand the fundamentals of what they do.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

From what I've seen of chopped leaving the pork out would all but guarantee you make it to the next round.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

odiv posted:

From what I've seen of chopped leaving the pork out would all but guarantee you make it to the next round.

The pattern I usually see on Chopped is they put the thing in without tasting it and magically it turns out great according to the judges. They always compliment the person and say how they can't believe they've never used it. I've sene it happen enough that I think they do it on purpose so they don't seem THAT insensitive.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

axleblaze posted:

In general Worst Cooks just isn't actually about teaching these people poo poo. The people that succeed likely don't need much help. I'm not an awful cook but I'd have trouble on the show because all they do is briefly show their team how to make something once and then expect them to pull it off on their first try with little to no help. That's just a terrible way to teach anyone, and especially people that don't understand the fundamentals of what they do.

If it is anything like Master Chef, they might receive a class between tapings, since they are staying in a house together anyway. Also, I refuse to believe the lactose guy is a real person who honestly dresses that way.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

axleblaze posted:

The pattern I usually see on Chopped is they put the thing in without tasting it and magically it turns out great according to the judges. They always compliment the person and say how they can't believe they've never used it. I've sene it happen enough that I think they do it on purpose so they don't seem THAT insensitive.

They put booze in a recovering alcoholic's basket once. A Muslim probably has ways of repenting for tasting pork; a recovering alcoholic can ruin his entire life.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Arms_Akimbo posted:

They put booze in a recovering alcoholic's basket once. A Muslim probably has ways of repenting for tasting pork; a recovering alcoholic can ruin his entire life.

I'm not entirely sure how to feel about these kinds of situations. On the one hand, the producers doubtlessly knew (or at least could guess) in most of these kinds of situations, and were just being dicks about it. On the other hand, I have to wonder what some of these people are thinking going onto cooking shows knowing they're going to likely have to cook / work with these kinds of things, especially if they get whiny or mad or upset about the situation. There was someone on the most recent season of Top Chef who was a recovering alcoholic (in one talking head he mentioned being 7 months sober). I have to say I was glad (for his sake) that he left before anything involving wine pairings came up, and can only wonder what it would be like to be sitting in the stew room with a bottle of apple juice or water while everyone else was getting trashed.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm watching the ice cream episode now. Mike is either allergic to milk or faking it SO hard.

Both I and my boyfriend have lactose intolerance. If we eat anything with dairy, we'll get major stomach aches, sometimes cramps, nausea, and/or gas. Mike is claiming he's dizzy, confused, sweating..basically dying. He's either allergic to milk (and not intolerant) or he's faking it.

An allergy to milk is different than an intolerance. An intolerance actually gives you a sort of limit (for example, I can drink about 16 oz of 2% milk before feeling affects); an allergy would be a complete "stay away or you could die" situation.

Since he claimed he had an intolerance, I think he's faking it because those aren't really the symptoms. He'd have stomach issues, not dizziness and about to pass out. If he does have an intolerance, he ate way too much of that gelato during the initial tasting.

I don't know why I'm so upset about this but it's probably because he's faking everything else.

e: Also, he could've taken Lactaid or some other dairy supplement but they must've kept him from doing that as if he took one (or two, actually), he'd be fine.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Mar 8, 2013

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm watching the ice cream episode now. Mike is either allergic to milk or faking it SO hard.

Both I and my boyfriend have lactose intolerance. If we eat anything with dairy, we'll get major stomach aches, sometimes cramps, nausea, and/or gas. Mike is claiming he's dizzy, confused, sweating..basically dying. He's either allergic to milk (and not intolerant) or he's faking it.

An allergy to milk is different than an intolerance. An intolerance actually gives you a sort of limit (for example, I can drink about 16 oz of 2% milk before feeling affects); an allergy would be a complete "stay away or you could die" situation.

Since he claimed he had an intolerance, I think he's faking it because those aren't really the symptoms. He'd have stomach issues, not dizziness and about to pass out. If he does have an intolerance, he ate way too much of that gelato during the initial tasting.

I don't know why I'm so upset about this but it's probably because he's faking everything else.

e: Also, he could've taken Lactaid or some other dairy supplement but they must've kept him from doing that as if he took one (or two, actually), he'd be fine.

I've never seen this but hearing about it, he's completely faking it. I can't think of a single allergy aside from seasonal hayfever that would make you dizzy or confused. Food allergies generally result in anaphalaxis, skin rashes, vomiting, gastrointestinal issues, etc. Not dizziness by a damned long shot.

I've got a mild nut allergy and even that makes me puke for a good long time. My seasonal allergies are what make me dizzy. Unless he's snorting milk, he's a lying fool.

Edit: Just got schooled by a doctor I work with and food allergies can rarely cause dizziness. So you're absolutely correct. He's either allergic or completely faking it.

Robviously fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Mar 8, 2013

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Simon Draskovic posted:

I'm not entirely sure how to feel about these kinds of situations. On the one hand, the producers doubtlessly knew (or at least could guess) in most of these kinds of situations, and were just being dicks about it. On the other hand, I have to wonder what some of these people are thinking going onto cooking shows knowing they're going to likely have to cook / work with these kinds of things, especially if they get whiny or mad or upset about the situation. There was someone on the most recent season of Top Chef who was a recovering alcoholic (in one talking head he mentioned being 7 months sober). I have to say I was glad (for his sake) that he left before anything involving wine pairings came up, and can only wonder what it would be like to be sitting in the stew room with a bottle of apple juice or water while everyone else was getting trashed.

I totally get what you're saying, but I put the blame solely on the producers of Chopped because A) every drat time there's someone who can't have a certain item, its in the basket, so they know from pre-interviews how to mess with them for "good tv" and B) most of these chefs are working at restaurants that earn barely above margin, so they're competing for a chance to take two weeks off work or give their fiancee a decent wedding or take their cancer stricken wife to her favorite restaurant before she dies.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Robviously posted:

I've never seen this but hearing about it, he's completely faking it. I can't think of a single allergy aside from seasonal hayfever that would make you dizzy or confused. Food allergies generally result in anaphalaxis, skin rashes, vomiting, gastrointestinal issues, etc. Not dizziness by a damned long shot.

I've got a mild nut allergy and even that makes me puke for a good long time. My seasonal allergies are what make me dizzy. Unless he's snorting milk, he's a lying fool.

Edit: Just got schooled by a doctor I work with and food allergies can rarely cause dizziness. So you're absolutely correct. He's either allergic or completely faking it.

I think he just wanted to fake it and make himself seem even more interesting. If only he got the symtoms down correctly. :v

Problem is, even if he did get the correct symptoms, he'd still be able to cook just fine.

I don't think Aadip should've been dropped because he didn't do a burger. Anne claims she gave him all these instructions and...all she really said was "Ok well go take portobello or tofu then. Don't make it dry or I'll kick you off!" Though, booting him for licking his fingers constantly and making it so Anne didn't want to taste his dish is a much better reason than why she really let him go.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Worst Cooks just isn't a very good show. I'm watching ti anyways for some reason but it's just feels so forced and artificial. Even if these people are for real, they're being manipulated so heavily that it all seems fake. The show doesn't even do basic things right. Like in the last episode they had that preliminary pizza challenge (the preliminary challenges in themselves are oddly useless) and they made it so it was a blind tasting. They counted down from worst to best and they showed every pizza except for the top 2. Like when they got to the top 2 they flat out skipped number 2 and to the person that won they just mentioned her pizza was good and didn't show it or mention why. It was flat out bizarre.

I will also say it was hilarious how little they actually used Willie Degel. Like he was there but he barely even said anything (which was probably for the best because gently caress I hate that guy). Also the whole reason he was there was confusing. Like the idea that they would act worse if they thought they weren't being watched was kind of baseless.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

axleblaze posted:

Worst Cooks just isn't a very good show. I'm watching ti anyways for some reason but it's just feels so forced and artificial. Even if these people are for real, they're being manipulated so heavily that it all seems fake. The show doesn't even do basic things right. Like in the last episode they had that preliminary pizza challenge (the preliminary challenges in themselves are oddly useless) and they made it so it was a blind tasting. They counted down from worst to best and they showed every pizza except for the top 2. Like when they got to the top 2 they flat out skipped number 2 and to the person that won they just mentioned her pizza was good and didn't show it or mention why. It was flat out bizarre.

I will also say it was hilarious how little they actually used Willie Degel. Like he was there but he barely even said anything (which was probably for the best because gently caress I hate that guy). Also the whole reason he was there was confusing. Like the idea that they would act worse if they thought they weren't being watched was kind of baseless.

He was there for cross promotion and nothing else, but yeah, I actually forgot that he was there until you mentioned it. This show is incredibly forgettable.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
I actually enjoined previous seasons of Worst Cooks, but this season has turned up the fakeness to ridiculous levels. Seems to be the trend unfortunately. Restaurant Impossible has ramped up the drama quotient way higher too. And then you have Restaurant Stakeout and that other hidden camera show which are just pointless to watch.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
My favorite thing about watching Kitchen Nightmares or Restaurant Impossible is looking up the featured restaurant to find that more often than not they closed down. These are struggling restaurants so you can't blame the show 100% but often there are blogs or news stories with the owners complaining about the show.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Timett posted:

My favorite thing about watching Kitchen Nightmares or Restaurant Impossible is looking up the featured restaurant to find that more often than not they closed down. These are struggling restaurants so you can't blame the show 100% but often there are blogs or news stories with the owners complaining about the show.

Another thing that happens is the property owner decides to gently caress with the lease due to the fame brought by the show, all but forcing the owners to close shop or go deeper in debt.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

Timett posted:

Another night in a hotel for work and I flip the TV straight to a Chopped marathon. Seems like these things are always on. Has anybody ever had success with molecular gastronomy stuff on this show? Had anybody even survived a round where they attempted it?

I am not sure how much it counts but there was a chef who used agar agar at least once in his 2 tenures on Chopped.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Oh I remembered another dumb thing on Worst Cooks this week. Making a big deal of Willy Degel setting up one of his 'special surveillance cameras' to watch them with but then repeatedly showing the judges watching monitors with the feeds from the regular cameras. Not once did we see anything that looked like it came from his camera.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Wait...what the hell is on FN right now? Undercover Diner or something?

This woman is suspecting someone who works for her is stealing from her so she lets FN in and wants them to spy?

...Is this an actual thing I'm watching? How long did this show stay on air? I mean sure we have Undercover Boss and Secret Millionaire or whatever that show is but this feels...weirdly wrong.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
That Stakeout show is the probably the most fake show on the network. Maybe the restaurants featured are real? I'm convinced everything that actually happens is scripted though.

E: vvvv

I was actually thinking of Mystery Diners but said stakeout. Not sure what show above poster meant.

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 10, 2013

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the show has ridiculously clear audio and video and often the cameras are in places that there is no way that the people can't see them. Most of these shows are fake but Mystery Diners just half asses it so badly.

Edit: It seems you were talking about Restaurant Stakeout...that show isn't much better but I lasted even less time watching it because I hate the host.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Timett posted:

That Stakeout show is the probably the most fake show on the network. Maybe the restaurants featured are real? I'm convinced everything that actually happens is scripted though.

The second ep I watched had a guy wearing a cast who was said to still be employed because the owner didn't want a workman's comp claim/lawsuit, and then he took it off to dance for A Hot Chick With Car Trouble after taking a $50 payoff to seat someone on the patio (which he initially wouldn't do for reasons that were not made clear) and being corrected by the undercover trainee that a guy he called "Jackie Chan" was in fact Filipino. Forget FN, it's the fakest show on television.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Christopher Irvine posted:

The second ep I watched had a guy wearing a cast who was said to still be employed because the owner didn't want a workman's comp claim/lawsuit, and then he took it off to dance for A Hot Chick With Car Trouble after taking a $50 payoff to seat someone on the patio (which he initially wouldn't do for reasons that were not made clear) and being corrected by the undercover trainee that a guy he called "Jackie Chan" was in fact Filipino. Forget FN, it's the fakest show on television.

Worst Tenants or whatever on Spike seems really fake as well, but I only saw part of one episode before I had to shut it off because everything about it was so retarded that I actually got angry.

Ax Men is also pretty fake. Last episode, one of those big arm, "claw" machine operators got so angry at another worker that he used the claw to pick up the trailer hitch thing that they put extra logs on and threw it off of the cliff they were working on. Of course there were two cameras set up on the bottom to catch this thing go flying, even though they had no reason to be there because the actual work was being done further down the road. Also, in the swamp, the Swamp Man has a crazy cousin that he never mentioned before, who literally tried to kill him and the camera guy on camera (he fired a couple of shots from his bow and arrow into the boat from the beach he was on.) Of course, they also made sure to get a separate camera man on the beach for coverage. And also get him aiming straight into the camera long enough to reuse the shot a million times.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 10, 2013

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Sorry, guys. I meant Mystery Diners. I didn't know the name of the show.

This is just...awful.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
As fake as all these shows are, nothing's faker than Pawn Stars (except maybe Storage Wars).

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Discovery wins the fake show wars. Amish Mafia, Devils Ride, Moonshiners and a couple of others are the most blatantly fake poo poo you've ever seen. Watch one of those shows for five minutes and see people blatantly committing what would be felonies and saying things about other characters that would get them killed in the interview segments if it wasn't all made up. Nothing like Storage Wars or any of the fake shows on Food Network come close.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

ThermoPhysical posted:

Sorry, guys. I meant Mystery Diners. I didn't know the name of the show.

This is just...awful.

The dude's daughter is ridiculously hot though, so I forgive its awfulness.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm VERY sick of Carla and her constant...I don't even know because it's passed flirtation the moment she arrived in episode 1...for Bobby Flay every single episode of Worst Cooks. Seriously, what is UP with that? It's like the Neely's show except 100x worse.

I've started to swear at my TV now everytime she's there. It's GOT to be some type of harassment she's doing. I honestly think Bobby and everyone on that show needs a restraining order against her.

e: Ninja answering the phone at a Chinese restaurant? What? Wow...FN...very insensitive. Ninjas are Japanese, NOT Chinese. Why am I still watching this? :( I was so excited that Alex was gone but now Carla is annoying me 10x more.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 11, 2013

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just once, just ONCE, on Restaurant Impossible, I want the builder guy to wreck a bunch of poo poo with a sledgehammer and leave it for Robert Irvine to fix up in a day.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I think it's a rerun, but I'm pretty sure the current episode Iron Chef is trying to give the judges alcohol poisoning. They have some twist where each team also has a mixologist and has to make a drink for each dish. Then the challenger goes and makes infused shots for one component of his first dish in addition to the mixologist's drink.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Seeing Ron Israel on Worst Cooks made me just realize how much better he is at this whole teaching and hosting a show thing than either Bobby or Anne and made me desperately want a Worst Bakers show with Ron vs Kerri Vincent.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

axleblaze posted:

Seeing Ron Israel on Worst Cooks made me just realize how much better he is at this whole teaching and hosting a show thing than either Bobby or Anne and made me desperately want a Worst Bakers show with Ron vs Kerri Vincent.

I'd be down. He's the best host and could probably make almost any show premise watchable.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

dude789 posted:

I'd be down. He's the best host and could probably make almost any show premise watchable.

Sweet Genius will be cancelled and Ron Ben Israel will now be doing a show where he travels America, looking for the craziest desserts and sweets. I call it "Sugar High."

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Jamesman posted:

Sweet Genius will be cancelled and Ron Ben Israel will now be doing a show where he travels America, looking for the craziest desserts and sweets. I call it "Sugar High."

They already tried it with Duff. There's nothing new in the world.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/sugar-high/index.html

Edit: That was probably the joke, wasn't it.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

ThermoPhysical posted:

e: Ninja answering the phone at a Chinese restaurant? What? Wow...FN...very insensitive. Ninjas are Japanese, NOT Chinese. Why am I still watching this?

Watching this now. I'm the type to think that everyone is always jumping on the racism thing way too fast, and that they should just relax. But yeah... that was pretty offensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Ninja is the most racist "N" word there is.

• Locked thread