Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
I don't really agree with the argument that Lara is a Nathan Drake clone - for most of this game I was pleasantly surprised at how not Drake she is in attitude.

Yes, the game has Uncharted influences all over it. In terms of characterisation though there's a bunch of big differences, most notably:

1) Nathan Drake basically doesn't react at all to the first times he kills someone in Uncharted and there's no real change in his attitude to it. He laughs about it, especially noticable in Uncharted 2 ("That's your neck!"/"Kitty got wet"). Lara's overtly shocked by the notion of killing someone and while she does pretty quickly become sort of immune to it she never seems to take the kind of pleasure in killing that Drake does (though she certainly becomes determined that nobody will stop her saving her friends).

2) Nathan Drake's ultimate motivation is treasure with maybe a side dish of revenge. All of Drake's friends make a huge deal about his ridiculous lust for the 'prize' in Uncharted 3 and how it should inevitably get him and everyone he loves killed. Lara solves the mystery entirely because it's the only way of getting her friends off the island alive.

Drake is a sociopath who laughs while killing hordes of people so he can find a shiny thing. Lara's driven to kill hordes of people by her guilt over being the one that got her friends in to trouble in the first place. Obviously she doesn't have the same attitude towards taking human life by the end (and that would be incongruous with the later games anyway) but she's not Drake.

I do agree that less combat would have been nice though - at this point the unending skirmishes video game developers put in these sorts of games are starting to feel more and more like a crutch. What was really interesting to me about this game was the parallels in events, characters and dialogues I saw with Spec Ops - but of course in Tomb Raider the crazy happenings are real, the dead person she's obsessed with is actually running things, and Lara is a 'true' hero. Uncharted 2 kind of foresaw this with Lazaravich asking Drake how many people he'd killed, and I really feel that from now on I won't be able to stop asking any game like this why it's getting me to kill quite so many people or how honest the protagonists are being with themselves.

edit: I still think Uncharted 2 had the best sense of scale and cohesive environments I've ever seen but this game has managed to surpass it in animation stakes and equal it in a lot of other areas. Some of the set pieces and moments (the blood pool!) are really good. Third person action/adventure games are in a really good spot right now both in terms of gameplay and narrative, quibbles about enemy density aside.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Mar 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sc0ttmst
Nov 23, 2010
The simple act of parkouring around Shantytown is already making this one of my favorite games this gen. You just know the level designers had a blast creating that place.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

blackguy32 posted:

So basically she is Lena Dunham without the racism baggage?

I still haven't seen that show.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Do the GPS caches actually do anything? They give poo poo Xp, don't give any bonuses when completing a set, don't seem to unlock concept art or anything. Are they just there to have more collectibles in the game?

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

RatHat posted:

Do the GPS caches actually do anything? They give poo poo Xp, don't give any bonuses when completing a set, don't seem to unlock concept art or anything. Are they just there to have more collectibles in the game?

Seems that way.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Getting all of them gets you a unique document I think? And 1k Scavenge

I say this because there was 1 document I found that I never remember picking up (or I would have read it immediately) when my roommate asked about it's location.

It has foreshadowing of future games on it.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
I like the random relics you find since the dialogue is such a weird break from the action and are the only reminder that Lara's an archaeologist.

*kills 15 people, falls down a cliff* "Oh wow a relic! Looks like a 17th century Japanese mask from the Edo period... wait, it says Made in China at the bottom."

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I found the transition much smoother because I got so into the game that I couldn't aim for poo poo, so the first guys I had to free-kill I basically missed over and over, basically just firing to drive them into cover, while they are shocked I have a gun.

I think maybe the biggest disconnect people experience might be connected to that they are too good at games.

EDIT: I'm not saying that's wrong way to play it or anything, just that I got squeemish about shooting people in the game and it translated pretty well with how the AI reacts to me.

Mordaedil fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Mar 8, 2013

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Lara is a head shot machine in this game. I can't help it, all I want to use is the bow and arrow and skewer everybody through the face, its just so satisfying. Even when they start adding helmets to the mooks, I can't help myself. Headshots with that bow and arrow feel just right.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Ghosthotel posted:

I'm liking the game so far, although I think they could've cut down on the whole "something collapses and laura proceeds to fall down an entire mountain and hit 5 airplanes, 20 trees, and a rock on the way down" thing that seems to happen every 45 minutes.

I'm just waiting for the Springfield Gorge DLC

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Scorchy posted:

*kills 15 people, falls down a cliff* "Oh wow a relic! Looks like a 17th century Japanese mask from the Edo period... wait, it says Made in China at the bottom."
I must say I really like the option to look for some hidden details in found relics though. Uncharted had those artifacts you could rotate too but giving it this little spin that you may actually hear new info doing that makes it so much better.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Palpek posted:

I must say I really like the option to look for some hidden details in found relics though. Uncharted had those artifacts you could rotate too but giving it this little spin that you may actually hear new info doing that makes it so much better.

Wait what? You can spin relics around for more information?

edit: thats pretty cool

4 Day Weekend fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Mar 8, 2013

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

4 Day Weekend posted:

Wait what? You can spin relics around for more information?
Yes but only when a magnifying glass is displayed on the left when you view the relic. Lara explains what she found and you get some XP for that too. Sometimes it's something funny like "Oh, a price tag on the bottom, I guess it's not authentic." but sometimes it's a cultural detail or a small bit of relic's story.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I think combat has a good flow because if you do let the enemies get close they can and will wreck you fairly easily. Combat isn't hard in the slightest but the fact that Lara and the enemies are both fragile makes it feel 'fair' and gives the impression that Lara is holding her own a bit more weight. It's an illusion but a pretty good one.

I wish the game had a few bigger encounters but it's almost Batman-like in that the system clearly wasn't designed for bigger encounters. The few 'boss fights' the game has are pretty pathetic because they don't play to the combat engine's strengths at all.

Huh? The Batman system always feels to me like it's specifically designed FOR big encounters, assuming you mean "loads of dudes". My favourite memory of Arkham City is fighting like 40 guys in the museum as Catwoman and not breaking combo or getting hit once.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Huh? The Batman system always feels to me like it's specifically designed FOR big encounters, assuming you mean "loads of dudes". My favourite memory of Arkham City is fighting like 40 guys in the museum as Catwoman and not breaking combo or getting hit once.

I mean big encounters ala boss fights against single very large enemies. Arkham Asylum was at its weakest when fighting a single oversized enemy and Tomb Raider is too.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
The animation in this game is so loving feast or famine. It's really great with regards to lara's movements etc. but when you non-fatally shoot the enemies their bodies just sort of float and pop all over the place and it's really jarring. Has nobody else noticed that?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Nthing the love for the chaotic fights. They're so mental and primal - nobody's a professional, they're just scrabbling around in cover screaming and swearing at each other using what they can, when they can. I loved the fights near the end because of how many guys got thrown at you. :unsmith:

Pity there's no arena mode.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I mean big encounters ala boss fights against single very large enemies. Arkham Asylum was at its weakest when fighting a single oversized enemy and Tomb Raider is too.

I can only think of two moments where it happens, and they were short enough that they acted as a refreshing break from the norm for me.

RE: bow headshots - you get an upgrade to the bow that means a fully charged bow shot penetrates helmets!

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
To break away from gameplay vs narrative chat:

Does anyone know what High Precision does in the gfx options on PC?

Also, the game's audio (the voices, mainly) cuts out at random times for me. It's like the old games where positional audio would make everything super quiet if you turned the wrong way because it thought you were far away. Only this is in cutscenes. Is that a known bug?

I'd love for them to take the quasi-metroid feel in this and do a lot more with it in the next one. The way the Mountain Village hub changes is neat; it's too bad there isn't more of that.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've been playing on and off the last couple of days ever since I heard the high praise for the storytelling in this game and man they were right. Just goes to show you can't trust PR people after that whole debacle a while back. Please Nintendo, hire Rhianna Pratchett to write the next Metroid game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

I've been playing on and off the last couple of days ever since I heard the high praise for the storytelling in this game and man they were right. Just goes to show you can't trust PR people after that whole debacle a while back. Please Nintendo, hire Rhianna Pratchett to write the next Metroid game.

One thing that was pointed out to me:
The game at no point kills off a minority cast member and by the end of the game you've got a hero cast primarily made up of female characters of different ethnicities and ages. I literally can not think of another game that does that. :allears:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

One thing that was pointed out to me:
The game at no point kills off a minority cast member and by the end of the game you've got a hero cast primarily made up of female characters of different ethnicities and ages. I literally can not think of another game that does that. :allears:

That can't be.

Everyone knows girls don't sell games. :downs:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Alteisen posted:

That can't be.

Everyone knows girls don't sell games. :downs:

Tomb Raider 2: Starring Jonah.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Dan Didio posted:

Tomb Raider 2: Starring Jonah.

Would unironically play the gently caress out of this game. We need more over-weight main characters. :colbert:

Actually are there any swearing, over-weight women who are heroes.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

What was the woman in Fable 2? Hammer?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

What was the woman in Fable 2? Hammer?

Hammer wasn't so much overweight as built like a brick shithouse. She was huge but it was all muscle.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Hammer wasn't so much overweight as built like a brick shithouse. She was huge but it was all muscle.

I suppose you could make an overweight woman in Saints Row 2/3?

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Been playing TombRaider with my girlfriend and we are enjoying it A LOT! I remember playing the first games with my big bro when I was a little kid and I'm pretty happy to see that the game has been rebooted into this. So far, everything looks good to me.

turboraton fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 8, 2013

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
So. I am stuck. Because I cannot mash E fast enough to open a loving crate.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

tarbrush posted:

So. I am stuck. Because I cannot mash E fast enough to open a loving crate.
Try mashing E slightly slower because you can literally press a button too fast for those events.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Just beat it, and aside from the whole "fall down something" sequences getting kind of played out towards the end I had a really good time with the game. The shanty town was probably my favorite area to just climb around and explore. Although the tombs were neat I felt like they were kind of an afterthought, so hopefully in the next game theres a bit more focus on the exploration and puzzles then shooting a bunch of dudes.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I'm at about 75% through, and I'm really enjoying it for the most part, but drat, I hate it when the combat turns into full-on cover shooter. I love no-bullshit third-person shooters like Just Cause or Saints Row, but for some reason when cover comes into combat as an essential mechanic I utterly detest it, no matter how good the game is technically. I never even finished Uncharted 3 because I got so bored and frustrated by the combat; that's not going to happen here, because the other stuff is more than enough to compensate, but my heart sank at regular intervals when I realised that I was in a "you are in a large area crouching behind cover at one end, and twenty or so guys with machine guns are going to advance on you from the other" situation. The temple ambush one, I ended up turning the difficulty down because I was getting cut to pieces every time.

Next time round? Less annoying cover-based combat. More loving tombs. Please.

(Also, a pet peeve: English people don't say "gotten". :argh: )

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

real_scud posted:

Try mashing E slightly slower because you can literally press a button too fast for those events.

I. What? Gah. Thanks.

I was literally hunched over the keyboard hammering my finger into it at one point.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
So is there a way to force the game into borderless windowed? Because I have that Nvidia specific problem where fullscreen mode is not rendering some effects (god rays etc.).

Edit: In case people are not aware of this problem

Fullscreen

Windowed

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
So thank goodness they outsourced the multiplayer to another studio. But I played like an hour or so of it and it wasn't that fun, or I've never really played MP on consoles so P2P multiplayer just seems so foreign and such a dumb concept. Doesn't help that MP is another unlockfest, and my tolerance for those is only Battlefield at most.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

GhostDog posted:

So is there a way to force the game into borderless windowed? Because I have that Nvidia specific problem where fullscreen mode is not rendering some effects (god rays etc.).
Fullscreen: On
Exclusive Fullscreen: Off

Just finished it, great game. I hope they release some tomb puzzle dlc, I would buy that day 1. My only problem with the PC version was that the credits finished rolling and the screen stayed black.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Winks posted:

Fullscreen: On
Exclusive Fullscreen: Off

That fullscreen pic is already with "Exclusive Fullscreen" off :(

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Payndz posted:

(Also, a pet peeve: English people don't say "gotten". :argh: )

Scottish people do though! Maybe she went to live with Grim for a bit as a kid.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Grim is the best character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yes there is, use the app in this thread.

It works ok, but cutscenes sometimes blank out and go flat grey for a bit which is less than ideal. I'm considering putting TR aside until the issues are fixed.

• Locked thread