Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~

WampaLord posted:

I am down to the final two for the trainer position at my company. Pray for me, fellow call center goons. I might just have my ticket off the phones for good here.

Good luck!

I just took my Quality Analyst test to get back to being a QA. I'm really nervous and the company/client has really shaken my faith in them since the whole fiasco, but fingers crossed for this call centre goon, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I got the job! :yotj: Today was my last day on the phones for good. I actually left a note in my last incident saying "LAST CALL FOREVER, I AM A TRAINER NOW!"

I start on Monday, the old trainer gets to train me (Who trains the Trainers?) for 3 weeks, then we're doing a new hire class in April. So I get to hit the ground running, I'm super excited for this.

cuntvalet posted:

I just took my Quality Analyst test to get back to being a QA. I'm really nervous and the company/client has really shaken my faith in them since the whole fiasco, but fingers crossed for this call centre goon, as well.

Best of luck! Maybe we can be the start of a trend of call center goons going all YOTJ.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Effexxor posted:

Oh god, I almost forgot.

We're contracted by the federal government. The federal government takes people's privacy very, very seriously. So when people call in, they need to verify their ssn and their full date of birth. This is not a question. And yet, I actually had my second conversation with a lovely individual about how we need that information. And this happened.

:mad: 'So are you saying that your policy is above customer service?!'
:raise: 'Sir, this is federal law. If I released account information without verifying that you are this borrower, I would be breaking federal law.'
:mad: 'Then your policy of following federal law is more important that customer service? I bet you won't even admit to that.'
:raise: 'I can safely say that our policy of following the law is more important that how you feel about your customer service. Absolutely.'
:mad: 'Well as a small business owner, I would NEVER put following federal law above customer service!'
:stare:

This conversation went along the same line for 20 more minutes. How dare we follow the law.

Oh man, I work with people needing F1 student visas a lot, and it's amazing how often people want me to break the law for them. The best are people from countries where bribery is par for the course when government stuff is involved, and they try to see what they can offer me to "speed the process up a little".

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
System issues at the job, haven't taken a real call yet, just been telling people to call back *leans back and laces hand behind head* ahhhhhhhhh

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Man, maybe if you're a car dealer you should want to kill yourself more than if you work phones, because gently caress I hate those guys.

I love that we got new guidelines telling us now specifically that we can't even document a note about the information a dealership is trying to give us about a customer's new purchase. They get so loving pissed off when I tell them I can't do jack poo poo for them or give them jack poo poo without the customer there to verify.

Most think they can just call up an insurance company and start making changes to another person's policy, it's amazing.

Half the time they let people drive the brand new car off the lot without even verifying coverage first, or sitting them down and having them add the loving thing right then and there, why? Probably because they don't want the person finding out what their new monthly insurance rate will be on top of their new monthly car payment.

If they do decide to call with the customer, they hand the phone off to them, run away at a sprint to another department at the dealership and vanish in a cloak of "got a sale don't give a poo poo anymore" taking information I need with them.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I've never had a dealer require me to get insurance on a car before I leave. Why? Because its not their business.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Bovril Delight posted:

I've never had a dealer require me to get insurance on a car before I leave. Why? Because its not their business.

Not really true...

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 16, 2013

Omgbees
Nov 30, 2012

Bovril Delight posted:

I know in Australia if you are getting a car under finance you have to have full comprehensive insurance for the duration of the finance contract. This is so if you crash the car, the finance company assume that you will have the money to pay the contract out.

TOTSE
Jul 23, 2011

SCREEAAAAAAW
Hot drat, we're getting laid off. Automatic unemployment eligibility. Once my time comes here in the next few weeks, I'll be getting paid to not go get shouted at while I try to help people of questionable mental independence through an overcompartmentalized clusterfuck of an ISP. Funemployment for a while, I think, then back to transcription.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

I would love to get paid to not get shouted at while I try to help people of questionable mental independence through rebooting their phones because they aren't bright enough to try it themselves or search google first.

Alas, the client is pumping in money to continue putting new agents on the floor and we just keep growing. Why oh why can't they just pull the contract, give us all severance and let us be happy?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RN029-ARIN posted:

Hot drat, we're getting laid off. Automatic unemployment eligibility. Once my time comes here in the next few weeks, I'll be getting paid to not go get shouted at while I try to help people of questionable mental independence through an overcompartmentalized clusterfuck of an ISP. Funemployment for a while, I think, then back to transcription.

:hfive:, Layoff buddy. I still have a month and a half to go before they shut everything down, though. Time to build up some savings before the unemployment hits.

Also, speaking of getting paid, I was putting in my hours today and saw they stiffed me 400 bucks on comission for last month, and this is after they had me do two twelve hour shifts in a row to cover for the fact that 3 of the people who they hired for the office replacing mine quit. I hate this job so, so very loving much.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Omgbees posted:

I know in Australia if you are getting a car under finance you have to have full comprehensive insurance for the duration of the finance contract. This is so if you crash the car, the finance company assume that you will have the money to pay the contract out.

It's the same in the US.

TOTSE
Jul 23, 2011

SCREEAAAAAAW

Ugly In The Morning posted:

:hfive:, Layoff buddy. I still have a month and a half to go before they shut everything down, though. Time to build up some savings before the unemployment hits.

Ha, sounds like my place. Last wave goes out at the end of April. The rest of your post shows that it isn't, but funny coincidence, anyway. The way things are set up here, you can get the day off (unpaid) as long as you call in early enough, and I'd been abusing that, having few expenses, so now I have to actually show up most of the week in preparation for the cutoff. :( Oh, well. Finish strong, eh?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RN029-ARIN posted:

Ha, sounds like my place. Last wave goes out at the end of April. The rest of your post shows that it isn't, but funny coincidence, anyway. The way things are set up here, you can get the day off (unpaid) as long as you call in early enough, and I'd been abusing that, having few expenses, so now I have to actually show up most of the week in preparation for the cutoff. :( Oh, well. Finish strong, eh?

I don't get paid time off since I'm 35 hours a week instead of 40, so I hear that. Problem is, it kinda sucks since they do our schedules a month in advance so trying to fit interviews around my schedule kinda sucks.

PepperSinclaire
Jan 21, 2007

But everyone's doooing it!
We have two different numbers you can call from our website. Two. One is for technical queries, the other is for everything else. I work on the everything else line. Last night:

:mad: I can't use your website because someone there in your company has done something to the background.
:) Okay sir, you've called the "everything else" part of the service, this seems like a technical issue. We have a separate technical team who can...
:mad: Haven't you got a computer in front of you there?
:raise: Well...I won't have the same setup as you or be able to see what you're doing, so you'll really need to speak with our technical guys who can look into -
:mad: (interrupting) Don't give me that! Don't be like a politician and tell me something else when I ask you a question! Have you got a computer there, yes or no?
:confused: Sir, I'm trying to help you by putting you in touch with the technical -
:mad: (interrupting again) Have you got a computer there? Yes or no?

And so on...he hung up in the end but how hard is it to just LISTEN TO WHAT I AM TELLING YOU? I've had an incident-free month so far and this shitbag has got right under my skin. Ugh.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
I haven't felt the need to do this for a long time, but after a couple of epically lovely days, I'm going to vent my spleen.

1) To the Californian douchebag coworker...as a general standard, it will take 24-48 hours to get a checking account number for them. This is due to the PATRIOT ACT verification process. I do not have the capability of speeding this up. Our department does not open these accounts, this is handled by operations. No, you cannot speak to my bosses boss about this...but as a way of placating you, I'll reach out to my support group and see what options are available. Do you mind holding? Oh, you do. Well, whatever, can I get your phone number so I can call you back. Yes, I understand I can look you up in the company directory, but, really, it's not like I'm asking you for the loving moon here. Fine, I'll call you back.

Oh, look, per my support group, there is no way to speed this up through us, you can TRY reaching out to operations, but they still won't make guarantees. When I call you back to advise this, don't get huffy with me. And when I wish you to have a nice evening (because, hey, I'm doing OT today...normally I work the afternoon/evening shift), don't say "it's morning here" then hang up.

And then don't send me an e-mail showing how you got it escalated and taken care of (NO THANKS TO YOU), you passive-aggressive-gray-faced-two-dollar-haircut-wearing-sleazebag-fucktard.

2) Get a call that a guy is upset because when he paid off a massive loan, the payoff amount was higher than he was quoted. Like, in the several thousands higher. I can tell this guy isn't pleasant on a good day, but I manage to get him somewhat placated, give him my direct extension, and have my manager pull calls to see if he can find out where the discreprancy is.

We made took the payment electronically with a person from the another department serving as a mouthpiece for him without him on the line (bad call, but gray area), and gave them the correct number, but said person from other department gave him a payoff quote that didn't factor in the interest he'd earned this month. GREAT!!!!!!

This is in no way, shape, or form, my fault, but I'm now tasked with calling this rude, impatient old man back to advise him of this. He is going to want those several thousands given back to him. I get to tell him that we're not doing it. He is going to escalate, guaranteed, but my manager doesn't seem to want to talk to him, despite the fact that this needs to go WAY above me. I really don't care at this point, as a matter of fact, I want it to escalate just to get it the hell off my desk where it shouldn't be in the first place.

I've started smoking again, if only at work and when drinking. God, it feels good.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

Welp officially through training, not bad so far. People can be dicks but it's still not as bad as the hospitality industry, plus it's way more stable. Officially working as a Comcast internet/phone tech, though the actually troubleshooting part is a bit weak.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Too Poetic posted:

Welp officially through training, not bad so far. People can be dicks but it's still not as bad as the hospitality industry, plus it's way more stable. Officially working as a Comcast internet/phone tech, though the actually troubleshooting part is a bit weak.

I hope Comcast doesn't break your heart like TWC did me.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Too Poetic posted:

Oh god. My condolences. One of my friends from my current job did comcast and he hated it. Internet support will have you working with the worst set of chucklefucks and slackjaws you can imagine. :smith:

blackmet posted:

I've started smoking again, if only at work and when drinking. God, it feels good.

I hear that. One of my friends today was telling me about how he loved working from home today because he could chain smoke at his desk. Been one of the most frustrating days of the year- avg call time, 1:35. We were buried in calls of like "This class is free, right?" "I looked on the website and couldn't find anything less than ten miles away! I want you to check for me!" or "*thick accent*". For example, Haitian accents are starting to drive me crazy. I understand them fine in person, but over the phone there's just way too many silent letters in it to make sense of what they're saying when I can't see how their mouth is moving.

It's really frustrating.

Also, the next person who gives me a street name with either the possibility of silent letters, or alternate spellings, and I ask "can I have the spelling of the name of that avenue, please?" starts going "A-V-E-N..."... Oh god. I will just hang up. Sick of people treating me like an idiot for being on the other side of a 1-800 number, and I'm losing my job soon anyway.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 23, 2013

TOTSE
Jul 23, 2011

SCREEAAAAAAW

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Oh god. My condolences. One of my friends from my current job did comcast and he hated it. Internet support will have you working with the worst set of chucklefucks and slackjaws you can imagine. :smith:

God, yes, ISP support is full of people who think they know what they're doing. Every so often a customer will call in, asking if we block port 80, because they're trying to run a webserver, right? So the loving SMEs here will say, "Ahyuck, no, of course port 80 isn't blocked, because port 80 is HTTP and if it were blocked then they couldn't get to any web sites!"

And no one will listen when I try to explain that webservers listen on 80 but the client opens an arbitrary high-numbered socket for replies on that particular connection, and the fact they can get to web sites doesn't mean port 80 inbound to the member isn't closed upstream. . . .

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

RN029-ARIN posted:

God, yes, ISP support is full of people who think they know what they're doing. Every so often a customer will call in, asking if we block port 80, because they're trying to run a webserver, right? So the loving SMEs here will say, "Ahyuck, no, of course port 80 isn't blocked, because port 80 is HTTP and if it were blocked then they couldn't get to any web sites!"

And no one will listen when I try to explain that webservers listen on 80 but the client opens an arbitrary high-numbered socket for replies on that particular connection, and the fact they can get to web sites doesn't mean port 80 inbound to the member isn't closed upstream. . . .

So do you want me to bridge your modem?
:smug: I work in IT for a large corporation. I know what I'm doing, so just do what I want!
DO YOU WANT ME TO BRIDGE YOUR GODDAMN MODEM YOU STUPID PIECE OF poo poo (Oh wait, you're such a goddamn expert IT person, look the gently caress up how to do it yourself).

Some of the people I deal with. You'll get tired of saying the exact same thing over and over and over again when the chucklefuck you're talking to is doing something completely different making the goddamn situation worse.

I wish I worked at home. I'm still waiting on the next wave to come through of work at home applications. If I don't get it I'll probably murder one of my coworkers. Probably the rich one who thinks she knows every loving thing.

This job doesn't make me angry...

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

Gothmog1065 posted:

I hope Comcast doesn't break your heart like TWC did me.

My god the calls today.. Bunch of people I trained with already looking for work elsewhere

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Working from home doing tech support is the greatest thing.

Oh you're yelling at me? I'm drinking a beer in my underwear while watching TV and playing peggle. Suck it.

Omgbees
Nov 30, 2012

Too Poetic posted:

Yes, callcenter is officially a step up from hospitality because you go home clean at the end of a shift.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MA-Horus posted:

Oh you're yelling at me? I'm drinking a beer in my underwear while watching TV and playing peggle. Suck it.

Yeah, right now I'm working with a nice Peak Organic IPA in my favorite pint glass, got my gym shorts on, and am watching House of Cards. And I had ribs for lunch today. Working from home has its upsides.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

MA-Horus posted:

I really hope they hurry the gently caress up with W@H. I called off sick today and will tomorrow as well because I'm a lazy gently caress and I really hate my drive to work.

That or I need to find another job.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

Just got into a shouting match with my TL because he refused to help me on a call when I had a question. He told me since I'm first wave I wasn't supposed to ask questions any longer. I told him that's what he is paid to do. So I told him he could either help me or explain to the operation's manager why he refused to. To which he continued making fun of me in front of the rest of the team. When he asked what the question was I told him I wasn't going to waste my time and called help desk instead.

Pretty sure when floor support isn't available it's a TL's job to help. :smith:

Also they're threatening to not pay us for bathroom breaks. Again.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

CuntValet please quit. Please please for your mental health please quit.

From someone who knows how utterly soul sucking that kinda place can be, do it.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

cuntvalet posted:

Just got into a shouting match with my TL because he refused to help me on a call when I had a question. He told me since I'm first wave I wasn't supposed to ask questions any longer. I told him that's what he is paid to do. So I told him he could either help me or explain to the operation's manager why he refused to. To which he continued making fun of me in front of the rest of the team. When he asked what the question was I told him I wasn't going to waste my time and called help desk instead.

How do you still work there? I would have already thrown someone out a window. Or attempted to make a new window. Whichever is applicable.

I have problems going to my job (Calling off 2nd day in a row), but that poo poo would push me over the edge.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

Gothmog1065 posted:

How do you still work there? I would have already thrown someone out a window. Or attempted to make a new window. Whichever is applicable.

I have problems going to my job (Calling off 2nd day in a row), but that poo poo would push me over the edge.

I'm not sure how I'm still here. The job market in my city is horrendous and I only have my beginner's for driving.

I guess I just try to look at it being a paycheck so I can afford rent/bills/student loans and a fairly okay benefits package.

Granted the fact that I was pretty close to rage quitting today is not a good sign.

I actually wanted to be a little sick when I realized that in about 2 - 3 weeks time I'll have been here for one year.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

cuntvalet posted:

I'm not sure how I'm still here. The job market in my city is horrendous and I only have my beginner's for driving.

I guess I just try to look at it being a paycheck so I can afford rent/bills/student loans and a fairly okay benefits package.

Granted the fact that I was pretty close to rage quitting today is not a good sign.

I actually wanted to be a little sick when I realized that in about 2 - 3 weeks time I'll have been here for one year.

Is there a grocery store or a Wal-Mart nearby? Even that sounds better than the pure hell you're being put through.

Keep the resume updated. Showing you've been at what-everyone-in-town-likely-knows-is-a-crap-job for a long time at least shows you can handle a ton of BS, and sometimes, that's all you need.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Haven't posted here before iirc but hello phone support buddies, I work at a rather small call center and only work on one account currently, but that account is a bit of a mess.

Spans the whole country so I get all sorts of fun stuff, but today has been especially frustrating.

I honestly can't remember exactly what was said and how it got on to a subject like this but the guy just started going off about dem brrrownn peoples. Now, this guy works at a retail store AND HAS CUSTOMERS standing mere feet away listening to him bitch about how dem brown people be ruinin this country since the day they was brought here blah blah blah.

I mean I've listened to some racist cunts before but this guy really got under my skin. I just wanted to 1) Tell him to shut the gently caress up, I date a brown girl that is 10x the person you will ever be and 2) strangle him through the phone.

I already feel slightly better after typing that out, but seriously, someone invent :fist-through-phone: so I can just destroy people like this.

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

the fuck you know about what i need on my mind mother fucker

cuntvalet posted:

Let us know what the Ops manager/HR says when you report your childish and unprofessional TL. So many others in this situation would just let it slide, thus enabling his rear end in a top hat behaviour.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

ZeroDays posted:

Let us know what the Ops manager/HR says when you report your childish and unprofessional TL. So many others in this situation would just let it slide, thus enabling his rear end in a top hat behaviour.

We had a Skip Level focus group about him today and you'd better believe I brought it up and a few agents backed me up.

That said they also had a lot of nice things to say about him which really...contradicted what I was saying. I simply pointed out that it seemed my experience was MUCH different than other peoples and it shouldnt be that way. Argh, frustration abounds.

Also I sent an anonymous email to the OP calling out some bad behavior from our SME/PC's. So maybe I'm just a troublemaker. Who knows? :smith:

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

So you know what the best thing ever is? I take a medication that gives me really bad dry mouth, so I have to drink a ton of water. I also have to go to the bathroom alot. I'm back to my desk in two minutes, but I started to get some stern emails about not following adherence. So I talked to my psychiatrist, got a letter that states that I have a medical reason to need more bathroom breaks and bam! So long as I just go to the bathroom and don't leave the floor, and our queue isn't slammed, I can take bathroom breaks and it doesn't count against me. Seriously, you have no idea how much this has improved my attitude at work, being able to just go pee when I need to.

taremva
Mar 5, 2009

Effexxor posted:

So you know what the best thing ever is? I take a medication that gives me really bad dry mouth, so I have to drink a ton of water. I also have to go to the bathroom alot. I'm back to my desk in two minutes, but I started to get some stern emails about not following adherence. So I talked to my psychiatrist, got a letter that states that I have a medical reason to need more bathroom breaks and bam! So long as I just go to the bathroom and don't leave the floor, and our queue isn't slammed, I can take bathroom breaks and it doesn't count against me. Seriously, you have no idea how much this has improved my attitude at work, being able to just go pee when I need to.

If I need to take a piss, I take a piss. Why the gently caress are there bathroom rules in the first place?
Yea, I've heard the stories about people making GBS threads for 8 hours a day but the response isnt to limit bathroom breaks, it's to talk to the individual.
The worst part of being in a call center? Being treated as a literal child. The moment I transferred to a team that actually treated me as an adult I realised what I've been missing.

On another note, probably going to start studying this fall, if not this year then the next.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

taremva posted:

If I need to take a piss, I take a piss. Why the gently caress are there bathroom rules in the first place?
Yea, I've heard the stories about people making GBS threads for 8 hours a day but the response isnt to limit bathroom breaks, it's to talk to the individual.
The worst part of being in a call center? Being treated as a literal child. The moment I transferred to a team that actually treated me as an adult I realised what I've been missing.

On another note, probably going to start studying this fall, if not this year then the next.

It's just a consequence of the data being available I think. What anyone with any sense should be doing is looking at variation from the norm and having conversations about it. What it becomes is "You get 10 minutes of breaks and if you go over you get yelled at" which is an easy way to manage but is also dumb.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

taremva posted:

The last call center that I worked at simply refused to pull individuals aside that strayed from the normal rules and just address the whole team. What made it worse is that it was bound by HR mumbo jumbo and legalities so much that the emails would be as humanly vague as possible. The vagueness of the warnings and the emails was so thick that it never stopped anyone from deviating away from their normal routines. For example, we would get emails 4-5 times a month stating that we need to adhere to the rules instated within the 150+ page handbook. Sometimes, we would need to read through the handbook again (a screen would show up on the monitor, not allowing you to complete login until you scrolled all the way down) in order to do your work. It was tedious, annoying, and uneffective.

And this would all be because someone would hit the back door for a cigarette more often than they were allowed.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Our department has that "one person fucks it up for everybody" policy. Instead of firing/counseling the one retard doing it, they simply take poo poo away. I'm honestly surprised they haven't taken our lack of a dress code away yet.

It's kind of annoying when you find out who "that guy" was that got something nice taken away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

They took away paper towel in the bathrooms because somebody kept clogging the toilets with his giant shits and never owned up to it. They found out when we had paramedics have to rush him out mid-poo poo. We still don't have paper towels.