Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

THE BAR posted:

The IPad version has a fair number of new events and items you couldn't find in the PC version, and it seems that they still patch the IPad version with new content. I've only tried the PC version myself, so I can't say if they're of as high quality as the old stuff, but seeing it's the same developers I'd assume it's on par?

Cool, thanks - I was wondering if the GOG version was a straight re-release of the original or a port of the iPad "enhanced version." I'll grab it on tablet.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Mar 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Cool, thanks - I was wondering if the PC version was a straight re-release of the original or a port of the iPad "enhanced version." I'll grab it on tablet.

The GOG version is the old original for the PC, but no one's to say that the IPad version won't show up on the PC eventually.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

THE BAR posted:

You're right, it was more the thought of renaming expansions to DLC that torched something in my brain. GOG really is catering to us, aren't they?

This is a sentiment I see a lot (not just from you, and not just in this thread) and I really don't understand it. Its just a semantic change. The only reason older games didn't have DLC is because the infrastructure didn't really exist to support having large downloads like that; buying digital content wasn't a thing. DLC just stands for "DownLoadable Content". There's nothing that says "Expansion Packs are large, DLC is small" or "DLC is all nickel-and-dime" or "Expansion Packs are all great". If you download it, it is, by definition, DLC.

Lockmat
Oct 2, 2005

Come on, let's go set some prostitutes on fire.
Grimey Drawer

jivjov posted:

This is a sentiment I see a lot (not just from you, and not just in this thread) and I really don't understand it. Its just a semantic change. The only reason older games didn't have DLC is because the infrastructure didn't really exist to support having large downloads like that; buying digital content wasn't a thing. DLC just stands for "DownLoadable Content". There's nothing that says "Expansion Packs are large, DLC is small" or "DLC is all nickel-and-dime" or "Expansion Packs are all great". If you download it, it is, by definition, DLC.

I think it also has to do with the fact that back then expansion packs would almost always be almost half the lenght of the original game and not the 2-3 hours of extra content that DLC implies you get these days.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Lockmat posted:

I think it also has to do with the fact that back then expansion packs would almost always be almost half the lenght of the original game and not the 2-3 hours of extra content that DLC implies you get these days.

There isn't any implication there though. Like I said, DLC just stands for DownLoadable Content. Not Two-Hour Content. DLCs run the gamut from a new costume or music track to a small 2-3 experience, to a full on multi-hour expansion.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

This is Kalypso, though. From the Tropico series? Their idea of DLC is retarded crap that either should have been on the game from the start or stuff to make the game easier, and they keep releasing it at incredible speed, until there's over ten entries for DLC to a bad game that shouldn't have been allowed on GOG because it is neither good or old. New Vegas DLC this isn't. New Vegas DLC should be the rule for the industry, but turned out to be the exception instead.

Case in point, this Omerta one is composed of: one henchman + one weapon + one district = $5. This is terrible value. More will be incoming. Do you see why allowing this creates a bad precedent? At least add Omerta on GOG only when there's a Complete Edition.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Saoshyant posted:

Case in point, this Omerta one is composed of: one henchman + one weapon + one district = $5. This is terrible value. More will be incoming. Do you see why allowing this creates a bad precedent?

The only precedent is the fact that they're allowing DLC to be sold. GOG isn't the place to be directing your complaints, they aren't the ones that made the DLC. The developer of the game wants to sell that content as an extra purchase. That's their prerogative, and GOG is giving them a platform from which to do it.

I think it would be a worse precedent to not allow it, because if you bought the base game from a store that does not sell the DLC, in some cases you'd be forever stuck with an incomplete title.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is the version that I grew up with:

:catstare:

This is the first PC game I ever played as a kid. What is the name of this, my nostalgia demands me to look it up.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

GORILLA.BAS. It was a piece of example code in the DOS QBasic application. There was also some sort of a snake game and a finances software thing if memory serves.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

scamtank posted:

GORILLA.BAS. It was a piece of example code in the DOS QBasic application. There was also some sort of a snake game and a finances software thing if memory serves.

There was. Both came in Windows 3.11.

They helped me learn basic, my first programming experience, when I was around 13 or so.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Saoshyant and Lockmat were spot on. "DLC", as we've come to fear it, DID exist in the old days - Take a look at the Covert Operations expansion pack for C&C, fifteen stand alone scenarios for the price of an entire game? And it didn't even feature any new cutscenes for these, let alone new units, buildings or what have you? At least, if it comes to this, you can simply choose not to purchase the expansion, but I'd still be a bit upset if they suddenly started charging money for crucial expansions, like Dungeon Keeper - Deeper Dungeons which we're still waiting for.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The great thing about DLC is that expanded game content is no longer tied to the data size and cost of publishing a CD and if you are complaining about that then you are basically too young to remember how incredibly limiting that was on customer choice and the industry.

Some DLC is good, some is bad. But that just goes with the fact that some games are good and some are bad. The concept of effortless-delivery content at completely scalable size and price is basically something that's saving the PC gaming market and should be encouraged as much as possible.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The mid-to-late 90s had a bunch of third-party "expansion packs" that were really just map-packs, ranging from Starcraft to Quake to Blood and everything in between. Sometimes they'd have the official support of the original devs, sometimes not, but their trademark was always that there were never actually any new assets or mechanics or units - just more of the same and usually harder.

Such things existed back then because downloading several megs of what was essentially user-generated content was beyond the bandwidth of most people, and having a third-party sift through the chaff and fodder to find decent custom maps was worth the price of admission. But, if such things existed now, we'd be calling them DLC.

If you're going to call out the DLC because it's DLC from Kalypso, then yeah, that's probably a fair call-out to make, but only as qualified against Kalypso and their established DLC practice, not because it's DLC in general.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The prohibitive nature of having to release a physical copy meant expansion pack content needed to be sizable enough to justify their production and please buyers. Modern DLC is nickle and diming, pure and simple. To their credit Bethesda makes excellent DLC and they should be the poster boy of how to do it right. Unfortunately they stand alone against loving Ubisoft, EA, Activision, and (formerly) THQ who think charging $5 for a single map or group of weapon skins is good business. And apparently it is good business because people buy that poo poo up in droves which makes it equally frustrating as a gamer who wants actual content, not cosmetic changes.

And that's what it all boils down to. Content. If you love a game so much that you run out and buy the expansion pack, you obviously want more loving content. Starcraft Retribution and Insurrection each had full campaigns of about 30 missions each with full voice acting and cutscenes and about 200 multiplayer maps between them for $25 each. Were they all good? Pffft no, but drat it if you didn't get your money's worth out of it. And while people are more critical today of old games, the reception for these games was typically above average during their release. Diablo: Hellfire had two new dungeon map types, a new class, and a bunch of new weapons and mechanics. It made the game harder but the people who bought that poo poo wanted a harder game.

Now the argument becomes quantity or quality but can't I have an equal level of both? Yes, I would rather take 20 subpar maps over 1 superb map because no matter how well you make something, it's going to get old after a while. There needs to be enough content to add to the variety while still justifying the price and $15 for a handful of maps that the average gamer made in his free time (back when map design and sharing was encouraged and rewarded by developers) is inexcusable.

Sure DLC just means "downloadable content" and how much content is up to the developer, but you can't argue there isn't a correlation between this generation's easy micropayments and the dirge of expansions packs that actually, you know, expanded the game. Bethesda and Rockstar should be loving embarrassing everyone on the market but Bethesda does their own thing and Rockstar flat out admitted that Episodes didn't perform very well which makes me super sad.

THE BAR posted:

Saoshyant and Lockmat were spot on. "DLC", as we've come to fear it, DID exist in the old days - Take a look at the Covert Operations expansion pack for C&C, fifteen stand alone scenarios for the price of an entire game?

To add on to this, Covert Operations was $20 and also featured 10 multiplayer maps. And EA actually did advertise it as a "mission disk" not an "expansion pack" because they didn't want people to think it was adding any new content. Unsurprisingly if EA released the same content again in 2013 they would probably ask for double.

I can't think of any expansion pack that actually cost the same as the base game. It was usually half or less.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 8, 2013

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Saoshyant posted:

New Vegas DLC should be the rule for the industry, but turned out to be the exception instead.

New Vegas, Rockstar Games and Borderlands (both games, outside of the stupidly priced character skins) are definitely the rings to reach for. I'd argue maybe even the Mass Effect DLC qualifies from Shadow Broker/Kasumi onwards. Even the Amalur DLC was pretty decent value.

Few companies do it that well though.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I would like to put forth the argument that some gamers (myself included) are perfectly okay with cheap cosmetic content. Some games I just really want to have some extra skins or costumes, other games I see it as a small tip to the dev team, but I'm glad it's an option.

And that's all it is, an option. If you don't want hats for your TF2 dudes, don't buy them. If you don't want a balls-hard upgrade to Diablo, don't buy it. If you don't want horse armor, skip it.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

jivjov posted:

I would like to put forth the argument that some gamers (myself included) are perfectly okay with cheap cosmetic content. Some games I just really want to have some extra skins or costumes, other games I see it as a small tip to the dev team, but I'm glad it's an option.

And that's all it is, an option. If you don't want hats for your TF2 dudes, don't buy them. If you don't want a balls-hard upgrade to Diablo, don't buy it. If you don't want horse armor, skip it.

I'm in this group, although I do also miss the days when you had to find out cheat codes or complete ingame challenges to unlock new cosmetic options. I like the thrill of pulling off some ingame quest and getting rewarded with a cool new skin to show off your accomplishment, but it feels like that's dying out in favor of spending real money.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Looks like Richard Garriott is about to announce an Ultima 3 remake or something related in 20 minutes: http://www.lordbritishpresents.com

Here's a clue from his Facebook:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

jivjov posted:

And that's all it is, an option.

You missed the point entirely. That's fine on Steam, but this is GOG, the place we are accustomed to buy a game and have it be the full experience. Worse than GOG selling modern games is selling DLC for modern games that also turn out to be Kalypso-style DLC. It implies that there will be a flood of similar DLC crap on what used to be a curated store for quality games.

It is not a good thing whatever way you look at it, especially when, again, this isn't Steam; it's not automatically downloading the new DLC you bought -- you'll have, instead, to download and backup an installer for it and any future similar DLC packs. If this was the Omerta Complete Edition with everything put in one unified installer and without flooding the store backend with dedicated pages for every single piece of nickel and diming Kalypso is known for, we wouldn't be having this talk.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 8, 2013

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
What's funny is that I have more of an issue with GOG selling DLC packs than an issue with DLC packs themselves.

I prefer to think of the products GOG sells as the "completionist" version. They have all the goodies included like soundtracks, etc. In nearly all cases now they also include expansions and DLC (like Witcher, Witcher 2, Wing Commander, Alpha Centauri, etc.)

I would rather pay a couple bucks more for a game on GOG that has all extra content included, than get nickle and dimed with DLC.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

jivjov posted:

Once upon a time, hats and horse armor were something the fans created. Once upon a time, devs used to scout mod teams for potential employees. Once upon a time, the quality of fan generated content could have been equal to or superior to the stuff the actual devs released.

But that was a long time ago, people have forgotten, and weapon skins are a commodity. I think games in general and content delivery is better now than it has ever been even 5 years ago but the way games are packaged and sold these days I have a very big beef with.

teethgrinder posted:

Looks like Richard Garriott is about to announce an Ultima 3 remake or something related in 20 minutes: http://www.lordbritishpresents.com

Here's a clue from his Facebook:

Oh, dear Jesus please don't be a free2play game!

e: Shroud of the Avatar, huh? The 3 seconds of in-game footage looked like something out of an action RPG like Diablo.

e2: Jesus Christ, Garriot said EA projected total sales for Ultima Online as 30,000 and only gave them a 250k budget to work on it. It's like the direct opposite mirror today where Dead Space 3 was projected for something ridiculous and a niche horror/action game can't fill that role so now Visceral is dead.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 8, 2013

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I am intrigued. Been going through the Ultimas lately.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Amazing Weekend promo.

Pretty much every game here is worth it. And I had no loving idea Dragon Pass was on GOG, what rock was I under???

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I'm interested in what Lord British is doing, but at the same time his output since about Serpent Isle has been... iffy at best, and that's a hell of a long time in this industry.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Saoshyant posted:

You missed the point entirely. That's fine on Steam, but this is GOG, the place we are accustomed to buy a game and have it be the full experience. Worse than GOG selling modern games is selling DLC for modern games that also turn out to be Kalypso-style DLC. It implies that there will be a flood of similar DLC crap on what used to be a curated store for quality games.

It is not a good thing whatever way you look at it, especially when, again, this isn't Steam; it's not automatically downloading the new DLC you bought -- you'll have, instead, to download and backup an installer for it and any future similar DLC packs. If this was the Omerta Complete Edition with everything put in one unified installer and without flooding the store backend with dedicated pages for every single piece of nickel and diming Kalypso is known for, we wouldn't be having this talk.

I concede this point. Storage and downloading was not something that I considered when framing my argument.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
It's interesting it took them this long to add DLC and to do it with this game. There's a few indie games (Spacechem) on there already that have dlc on Steam but it is bundled in on GOG.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What's the difficulty/learning curve like on King of Dragon Pass? I wanna snap it up because of all the rave reviews this forum has given it, but I'm also getting the impression that it's really difficult to win at.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

"Experience the greatest con of all time."

This DLC thing already has a lower rating than Master of Orion III.

e: gettin King of Dragon Pass

e2: DotEmu has a few oddball things on sale as usual, Majesty Gold HD is $5. Not sure why it isn't on GOG yet!

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 8, 2013

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

gradenko_2000 posted:

What's the difficulty/learning curve like on King of Dragon Pass? I wanna snap it up because of all the rave reviews this forum has given it, but I'm also getting the impression that it's really difficult to win at.

It can be hard, but you'll pick up bits and pieces every time you fail. And it automatically archives every single year, so if you have a good run only to realize you hosed something up 3 years ago, you can go back and fix it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

I beat the short game my first try. The objective is to unite a bunch of tribes, research hero quests, become king and hold onto it for a set amount of time. The iOS version had a proper tutorial so you'll have to go through the manual for the PC version. The game also plays quickly. New players will probably lose because you'll overextend yourself and starve but I "beat" my first attempt in maybe 5 hours?

The most annoying thing are uncommon but noticeable bugs. One time my livestock stopped increasing despite there being enough land for them so my people were starving. I reset 2 years back and this fixed the issue.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Anyone picking up Blade of Darkness, be aware that the Dwarf and the Amazon don't have the range of special attacks that the Knight and the Conan-impersonator get.
You've still got one special attack per weapon, but not the range of general-use attacks the other two get.

Their first levels are quite fun to play through, mind you, but it'll be an exercise in patience for the rest of the game.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

There is an minor but interesting bit of behind-the-scenes interaction released by the Age of Decadence developers. They've been in contact with GOG about an eventual release. Part of that was an evaluation of their game by a GOG staff member, which was shared with the AoD developers.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

al-azad posted:

I beat the short game my first try. The objective is to unite a bunch of tribes, research hero quests, become king and hold onto it for a set amount of time. The iOS version had a proper tutorial so you'll have to go through the manual for the PC version. The game also plays quickly. New players will probably lose because you'll overextend yourself and starve but I "beat" my first attempt in maybe 5 hours?

What's good about KoDP as that it comes from that certain type of games where winning isn't an requirement. Losing is just as much an experience as winning, sometimes even moreso. It's a bit like X-COM, really. The game's one long narrative, and it doesn't always have a happy ending. KoDP is, for the most part, based on either strings of events or happenstance, which means that no game will be the same, your characters and randomed setting will take lives on their own and actually become an interactive story. Try and run your clan into the ground sometime, you'll be amazed when your council pull themselves together and defy you with their abilities.. Or watch them get pulled apart by furious broos and duck paladins.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

kingturnip posted:

Anyone picking up Blade of Darkness, be aware that the Dwarf and the Amazon don't have the range of special attacks that the Knight and the Conan-impersonator get.
You've still got one special attack per weapon, but not the range of general-use attacks the other two get.

Their first levels are quite fun to play through, mind you, but it'll be an exercise in patience for the rest of the game.

This is right. The knight and barbarian are the ones with most special attacks, but the dwarf is a heavy hitter with a smaller hitbox and his weapons are devastating. The only redeeming point of the amazon is that she's fast and her spears and polearms got quite long reach. This game has some platforming and the dwarf can be kinda annoying to get that done. This game had a decent spanish mod community that released some great stuff like Gladiator mod (basically allowing you to play an endless arena against the AI, allowing you to level up), and the OpenGL renderer what GOG included to make it work on modern computer (that rOpenGL is a fanfix like Thief or SS2 ones), you can notice that GOG let the Readme.txt from the original author stay in '\Blade of Darkness\Bin\Raster\' path.

This game is a national treasure, same with Commandos games and Praetorians :spain:

Edit: I have a bunch of mods and stuff that I can upload to mediafire in case anyone wants to mess with them. There's also a fogfix in moddb that is incredibly useful in some levels if you use the rOpenGL renderer (they tone it down quite a lot so you can actually see two feet in front of you).

You can actually make the game look better (YMMV) if you mess with this option:

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 8, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

al-azad posted:

Amazing Weekend promo.

Pretty much every game here is worth it. And I had no loving idea Dragon Pass was on GOG, what rock was I under???

Oh no now I have to decide between Shadow Magic and Eador :ohdear: Please help friends

If it helps, I'm a huge fan of tactical squad-based games like X-Com and Jagged Alliance - it's probably my favourite genre (subgenre?) - and really enjoy Civ-likes in theory but in practice get very bored with them very quickly.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Oh no now I have to decide between Shadow Magic and Eador :ohdear: Please help friends

If it helps, I'm a huge fan of tactical squad-based games like X-Com and Jagged Alliance - it's probably my favourite genre (subgenre?) - and really enjoy Civ-likes in theory but in practice get very bored with them very quickly.

Eador is russian. Also amazingly goddamn addictive.

On the other hand I've had Shadow Magic for a year and have not even downloaded it. What the hell.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

SpruceZeus posted:

Yeah Waking Mars is a ton of fun. Looks great, plays great, amazing soundtrack. Metroid except with helping all the weird alien life forms flourish instead of killing them. An unusual idea well executed.

I am terrible at platformers but this game sounds like it has an awesome concept. What's the difficulty like? e.g. Is it still fun if I am made at jumping puzzles? I know the answer is probably no, but...

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

I've never played Eador, but I'm going to assume Shadow Magic is, if not the better one, at least the most refined of the two games. It doesn't have the Eastern European set of quirks.

On that note, what is the Universal Update under Eador's downloads?

Edit: I just opened my account page for the first time in ages, when did I get all these games :stare:

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 9, 2013

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

LLSix posted:

I am terrible at platformers but this game sounds like it has an awesome concept. What's the difficulty like? e.g. Is it still fun if I am made at jumping puzzles? I know the answer is probably no, but...

I don't really think it is a platformer like you are thinking it is. I've played an hour or two and haven't had ANY 'jumping puzzles'. It's more of a resource management game. You just happen to be a space-dude with a jet pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

LLSix posted:

It's not a platformer and barely metroid-esque. I thought it was mediocre when I payed it on iPad,although that's the attitude I have towards most praised iPad games that aren't ports or board games.