Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Gabriel Pope posted:

Over/under on it just being a frontend for whatever sim Cyanide BB uses for AI vs. AI matches?

0.5 I guess? Assuming 1 = yes and 0 = no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

I suggest that, first, you shouldn't play a team whose primary method of winning games is fouling the poo poo out of the opposing team until they're so crippled you can actually manage to score plus stealing all their rerolls (which is especially crippling to a newbie player); and, second, as a much more experienced player, you should consider handicapping yourself significantly.

I'd say play an elfy team so you can still win but not through fouling/murder, if you really want to win. Otherwise play one of the substandard jokey teams; maybe vampires? There's lots of ways you can handicap yourself.

You assume he takes the chef and fouls a lot. Regardless, people who play Blood Bowl need to have thick skin. if losing a new saurus and skink player made the guy quit, I can only imagine what he'll do if he ever loses his star Block/Guard/Mightyblow/Break Tackle Saurus later in the league, maybe it's better for him to just stop playing the game right now...

League I'm currently in, first game with my Necro team, one Warewolf gets a broken neck (-1 agi) and the other WW got a Niggling injury and my only golem (I only start with 1 on my necro teams generally, need the extra reroll) died. Now THAT is how you start a Blood Bowl season! I managed to tie a DElf team the following week thanks to a freebooted Warewolf and Bloodweiser Babes and then beat a Chaos Dwarf team week 3 so I'm coming back nicely! Mr. 2 agility Warewolf is just definitely going to be a killer since he won't be able to be a ball carrier or a retreival man (too easy to tie up.)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If he isn't fouling and using the halfling chef, and is somehow still on the top spot in the league, then his opponents are unfathomably bad at the game. If that is the case, then he should run them through a newbie boot camp of sorts and try to better instill in them the basics of the game so they can better understand and enjoy it.

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005
Vamps, underworld, goblins would all be better gimmick teams for a veteran player vs newbie friends. Halflings are terrible against other good players, but not so vs new players (at all)

gredgie
Dec 9, 2012

Is there any in this rout
with authority to treat with me?
I bought Chaos Edition in an attempt to put in the effort to finally learn this game having been an old-school GW fan (not that I aren't any more, I just don't have the finances for Warhammer/40k :P), plus it will kill time until someone blesses my life with an awesomely made Gorkamorka game, which for some reason didn't get as much love as Necromunda.

ANYWAY!

I'm all about flavour when it comes to things like team selection, but in the name of accepting I am a novice, would I be far better off in the long-run going for one of the more jack-of-all-trades teams (Humans/Chaos/Orcs) or is there merit to learning through consistent failure with the more play-style centered teams?

Coming into the game, it seems that strength is a desired attribute for new teams, since not being able to take a punch seemingly restricts being able to practice general play if half your team are on the ground holding their faces together.

With all this taken into account, Lizardmen seem like a neat fit for me, they have some flavour, a nice mix of players and should lead to some fun games.

I caught the first game of Agent's LP yesterday, though will no doubt re-watch it to take things slightly better and I shall attempt to get myself on IRC later.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

gredgie posted:

I caught the first game of Agent's LP yesterday, though will no doubt re-watch it to take things slightly better and I shall attempt to get myself on IRC later.

Orks are pretty much the accepted new guy team since they are so bashy and easy to use. Lizards take a bit more learning I find than others, given that they are so specialized in their players, even if lizards are great. For new players though cknoor's been doing some guide dealies on youtube that'll help with basics and stuff.

Really choosing your team is all a matter of your playstyle and how you happen to be feeling that day. You don't have to stick with one.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I'd say one of the undead teams (not Khemri) would be better, each positional is fairly brainless to use with the added advantage of regeneration.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

gredgie posted:

I bought Chaos Edition in an attempt to put in the effort to finally learn this game having been an old-school GW fan (not that I aren't any more, I just don't have the finances for Warhammer/40k :P), plus it will kill time until someone blesses my life with an awesomely made Gorkamorka game, which for some reason didn't get as much love as Necromunda.

ANYWAY!

I'm all about flavour when it comes to things like team selection, but in the name of accepting I am a novice, would I be far better off in the long-run going for one of the more jack-of-all-trades teams (Humans/Chaos/Orcs) or is there merit to learning through consistent failure with the more play-style centered teams?

Coming into the game, it seems that strength is a desired attribute for new teams, since not being able to take a punch seemingly restricts being able to practice general play if half your team are on the ground holding their faces together.

With all this taken into account, Lizardmen seem like a neat fit for me, they have some flavour, a nice mix of players and should lead to some fun games.

I'd recommend starting with Orcs. Although, unlike what you said, Orcs aren't really a jack-of-all-trades team. They're a solid bashing team with enough agility that in a pinch, a dodge or two or a short passing play is a workable option.

I would recommend against starting with lizards. Strength is nice to have, but the AG1 on the Saurs and Kroxigor is a huge drawback, and not starting with any block doesn't help matters, either. If you don't have strategy and positioning down as lizards, all the strength in the world won't help you.

I'd suggest you stick with orcs for a few games to pick up the fundamentals, then branch out to try teams with different playstyles that appeal to you. If you go against a team that you want to try as orcs, so much the better. Observe how they play, so when you give it a shot you have a better idea as to what you should be doing.

ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..
Lizards are defiantly not for beginners. My advice would be orcs or undead for a beginner. That should teach you the basic cage running game and the 2-1 grind, which are the fundamentals of this game.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Seconding Undead/Necromantic. Regeneration will work wonders as far as insulating you from the ~fun~ of horribly crippled players early on, and they'll allow you to pull off some running plays with werewolves/ghouls, whereas Orcs are much more restricted to their cage.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Forums Terrorist posted:

I'd say one of the undead teams (not Khemri) would be better, each positional is fairly brainless to use with the added advantage of regeneration.

:haw: But yeah, don't fall into the pit of choosing humans as your beginner team, their lack of any particular strength is a huge weakness when starting out.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Humans are actually pretty great starting out, the real problem is lack of advancement. You start with enough block to play bashy and enough ball handling skills to play elfy, but once other teams get skills to match you you're hosed. If you don't mind starting over I'd definitely recommend starting with humans and tossing them in favor of something else after you get a few games under your belt.

Lizards are probably not a good idea to start with though. They break a lot of fundamental assumptions about the game and almost operate as a gimmick team except their gimmick is actually amazing. They can be effective as a newbie team, if only because they're as tricky to play against as they are to play, but they're not the best introduction to a lot of key skills.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 7, 2013

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I always recommend undead as a beginner team, nothing beats having 2 mummies who can punch almost every turn and your positionals all have well defined roles. I think necro are a better team but need more development, have a weaker starting roster and are a bit harder to play for a novice thanks to frenzy.

gredgie
Dec 9, 2012

I gave Undead a whirl against the A.I. and found them to be rather fun.

I believe my starting selection was:
2x Mummy
2x Wight
4x Ghoul
3x Zombie

Having no idea on their best uses, I used the Mummies and Zombies as players to attempt to hinder advances and break through defenses whilst I mainly attempted to have a Wight carry the ball with Ghouls in support if it was likely the opponent would be able to block me. Otherwise Ghouls made for a snatch and run tactic.

Didn't make it on IRC yet, but I shall endeavour to do so tomorrow evening.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

gredgie posted:

2x Mummy
3x Zombie

Tie up and punch mans. 5 strength with no nega trait means the mummies are awesome, if slow. Zombies are poo poo and are only there to get in the way of the opponents guys and fouling.

gredgie posted:

2x Wight

Blitzers. Move them around and use them as ball protection. They get strength access so giving them guard is awesome.

gredgie posted:

4x Ghoul

Ball handlers. Dodge lets you move them around with a bit less worry, but they are av7 with no regen so don't let them get punched. Also ag 3 means they aren't that great at bullshit plays.

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
Wait for a Wight to get a double and then take Pass and then Strong Arm for the best undead team strat.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Brainamp posted:

Ball handlers. Dodge lets you move them around with a bit less worry, but they are av7 with no regen so don't let them get punched. Also ag 3 means they aren't that great at bullshit plays.

It actually means that your opponent gets even madder than normal when it works

gredgie
Dec 9, 2012

Something I've always wondered, is there ever a reason not to stand a player up who's been knocked to the ground? Since the option to pick him up is free I'm surprised it's not automatically handled by the game.

All I can figure is it's left to be done manually as a sort of "player awareness" thing, where if a player forgets to pick a player up then they've gibbed themselves for the next turn.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

It can be used to block movement, or more importantly if he's on the sidelines getting him up will get him surfed.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

For the most part, yeah you want to stand your guys up first, avoid rolling dice when you can do safe moves. The main reasons are pretty much that you don't want to get surfed, or if you have plans for that player. For example, an elf laying on the pitch could just chill out until you spring the ball free, then he could get up, dodge away, and scoop up the ball. If you're playing a bashier team then for the most part you'll want to stand your guys up asap, but there are the occasional times where you need the guy on the ground for a later point in your turn

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, sometimes it's better to keep a player pinned to the sidelines down, especially if they're AG3 or less. It's better they stay laying down for an extra turn or two than get surfed. Also, sometimes the order matters. If you want to blitz with a downed player, you're obviously going to want to wait until the time is right for that. Sometimes you want to move downed player and have to clear a way for them before their turn. Otherwise it's usually better to stand them up. If it's a weak AV7 player, getting punched again can be dangerous but getting fouled is even more dangerous. Consider the risks of either event. It's rare that I leave a guy who isn't stuck on the sideline down, but there may be an instance or two in which I'd do so if I determine that they'd be safer down or if their body can block movement.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

It's worth noting the risk is fouling is only there if you're playing against a team with cheap players of some kind. Or studmandudebro, but then you were boned anyway.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Forums Terrorist posted:

It's worth noting the risk is fouling is only there if you're playing against a team with cheap players of some kind. Or studmandudebro, but then you were boned anyway.

Most teams have a cheap player of some kind, and even ones that don't I might foul someone out of spite :v:

ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..
Apart from the reasons already mentioned, being on the ground is the safest place to be.

Regarding undead team build, 4 ghouls is way too many, 2 are enough in mm and unless it’s a really long league 3 is enough. Ghouls die so hard to everything that it’s really limited what they can do on the field.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I like to start my UD teams with 1 ghoul and an extra zombie so you can foul a bit and keep your man advantage. Ghouls' life expectancy goes up massively once they get a level so I try to never have more than a single unskilled one at a time.

gredgie
Dec 9, 2012

It's this sort of thing that unsettles me as a newcomer. What with all the "that's a bad choice fella" potential :P.
But I guess the idea of being new with anything is to make these bad choices so I realize why they were bad and therefore learn.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

gredgie posted:

It's this sort of thing that unsettles me as a newcomer. What with all the "that's a bad choice fella" potential :P.
But I guess the idea of being new with anything is to make these bad choices so I realize why they were bad and therefore learn.

Play to have fun, not to win. Bam, problem solved.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

gredgie posted:

As with all games there are two main types of players. The funhavers who play ogres and gobbos, and the others who play murder chaos. :v:

Some skills are downright stupid to pick on various players, but unless you honestly care about crushing everything before you just choose what you want.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Then there is a third type, that farms chorfs so you have six +AG VLL leaping midgets.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

gredgie posted:

Having 4 ghouls isn't terrible or anything, it's just not the ~optimal~ build. Really you've got the right attitude, just remember to give in to the inevitable rage.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ZigZag posted:

Apart from the reasons already mentioned, being on the ground is the safest place to be.

Regarding undead team build, 4 ghouls is way too many, 2 are enough in mm and unless it’s a really long league 3 is enough. Ghouls die so hard to everything that it’s really limited what they can do on the field.

Ghouls are made to die and having less than three on the pitch at one time is just hurting your team. And they don't die any harder than any other AV7 guy. Less so since they start with dodge.

e: 4 Ghouls on the pitch just means you like having fun :v: But it's also a situational thing and I only really do it against teams with a ton of movement and not a lot of bash.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Ghouls are terrible. Kill all Ghouls.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Muscle Tracer posted:

Play to have fun, not to win. Bam, problem solved.

Exactly. It might be a game on the PC, but it's still a board game at heart.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

Ghouls are made to die and having less than three on the pitch at one time is just hurting your team. And they don't die any harder than any other AV7 guy. Less so since they start with dodge.

e: 4 Ghouls on the pitch just means you like having fun :v: But it's also a situational thing and I only really do it against teams with a ton of movement and not a lot of bash.

They do die more than typical AV7 guys, because typical AV7 guys are on teams with access to an apothecary. Whereas ghouls are on teams with only a necromancer, and they don't have regen. So unless you induced an igor, your ghouls' chances of dying are higher than usual.

That said, they move well and have dodge to start. They're useful positionals! The key with ghouls is to get them one levelup (block) and then not any more. They won't bloat your TV too much that way, and with blodge they're harder to get an armor roll against in the first place.

This is for a team starting out, say 1000 to maybe 1300 or 1400 TV. After that, you might well drop down to just a couple ghouls and focus on scoring with other players.

Personally I quite like ghouls so I ignore the above advice and run them up the SPP charts anyway, but that's not optimal play.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ghoul bloat is the greatest thing but also the worst when you go up against high TV bash teams. And like I said, it's a lot more fun when your ghouls have a bunch of skills and just run around causing havoc. Their high movement makes them easy to level when one does die.

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

I built this thumb out of two nails, a broken bottle and some razorwire.
Slippery Tilde
Ghouls are cool and you should get some, I'd run with 3 if it wouldn't ruin my symmetrical defensive formations. You're going to need a few unless you're planning on using a Wight as a ball carrier.

ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..

cKnoor posted:

Ghouls are cool and you should get some, I'd run with 3 if it wouldn't ruin my symmetrical defensive formations. You're going to need a few unless you're planning on using a Wight as a ball carrier.

Hmm.. here are the 2 most common undead defensive setups both are symmetrical (only matters for the ocd) 1 for mm 2 for league:

------zzz------
---------------
----m-z-z-m----
-----wg-gw-----

------zzz------
---------------
----m--z--m----
-----wg-gw-----
-------g-------

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Is this a joke or has cyanide actually said they are going to do poo poo like this for BB2?

It's a joke but I don't trust Cyanide to not poo poo it up in a similar manner.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ZigZag posted:

Hmm.. here are the 2 most common undead defensive setups both are symmetrical (only matters for the ocd) 1 for mm 2 for league:

------zzz------
---------------
----m-z-z-m----
-----wg-gw-----

------zzz------
---------------
----m--z--m----
-----wg-gw-----
-------g-------

Neither of those are the cKnoor Special defensive formation that he's famous for, though??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

NutShellBill posted:

a) How do you keep people interested in what can be a very unforgiving game?

Playing Halflings correctly against new players is like playing Dark Elves or Cybork Bikers against noobs in the other games. Don't do it! You're being mean.

deathbagel posted:

if losing a new saurus and skink player made the guy quit, I can only imagine what he'll do if he ever loses his star Block/Guard/Mightyblow/Break Tackle Saurus later in the league, maybe it's better for him to just stop playing the game right now...

This is a terrible attitude for bringing new players into the game. :smug: "Yeah maybe you better just quit if you can't handle losing, it's your fourth game you baby." :smug:

Is there a horrible neckbearded smug emote?

• Locked thread