Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.

pbpancho posted:

HOLY loving poo poo FINALLY! I've been waiting for this game for a goddamn year. It's good stuff people!

It is weird and flickery on my Rezound but runs great on my Nexus 7. It is really, addictive though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

rolleyes posted:

The fact that Amazon has had to stop selling the download version of the latest Sim City should be enough proof that EA is really not interested in making customers happy. However, since a major retailer telling you that they're not selling one of your flagship titles any more won't make the shareholders happy either, hopefully this might actually effect some change at that joke of a company.

edit:
Source: http://www.geek.com/articles/games/following-800-poor-reviews-amazon-stops-selling-download-copies-of-simcity-2013037/

edit2:
And if you actual reviews on Amazon, you'll find that most of the (very rare) 5 star reviews are satire: http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Ar...howViewpoints=0

It won't start any change at all. They will blame someone other than themselves, they will still continue to make sure their shareholders are happy just like every other company in the world. And people will still buy their crap. The only way to initiate change is to ignore them and stop spending your money on their games.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Depressingly, you're probably right. It's a shame because Sim City used to be great, but I refuse to buy anything with always-online DRM or even DRM which requires an online check prior to single player offline play. Oh well.

/derail.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Dungeon Village is quite fun, but I'm getting annoyed with the buildings. I suck at remembering what I have and as far as I know there's no way to tell if you've placed something already, and it seems totally pointless to place more than 1 of a non-house/decoration building, right?

Maybe if my village becomes gigantic another cluster of stores and an inn on the other side of the map would make sense, but for now, eh?

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Saint Darwin posted:

Dungeon Village is quite fun, but I'm getting annoyed with the buildings. I suck at remembering what I have and as far as I know there's no way to tell if you've placed something already, and it seems totally pointless to place more than 1 of a non-house/decoration building, right?

Maybe if my village becomes gigantic another cluster of stores and an inn on the other side of the map would make sense, but for now, eh?

I've had the adviser turn up and say more than 1 of a building is good, so it may be worth it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Here's the deal with EA/ Sim City.
They most likely stopped supporting it because it wasn't printing money like The Sims "Free" play.
For some reason people are psychologically opposed to dropping $7 on a good quality mobile / tablet game even though they may spend 100 hours on it (I spent a crap-load of time playing Real racing on my iphone when I had one)

BUT....

Apparently people have no qualms about getting a free game and dropping bank on all of the IAP
I mean log into the play store and look at the top 100 grossing games, 8 of them cost money.
Minecraft (Probably the Top Paid Android Application) is #19 then you need to jump to 81 for the ad-free version of Scramble with friends, then 83 for another actual pay game.

Grand theft auto is #87

So why not pump out a few low cost/production value game with trading cards, or bingo points, or bongo bux to let you skip ahead in time or buy the cool stuff and a "be better than everyone else" mechanic and you'll print money.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

SlayVus posted:

My only problems so far with Final Fantasy Dimensions.

1) Barbara's text is retarded. They're going for an uneducated, raised by dragons type speak. It just makes her seem a little slow though.

2) All men have puffed out chests on side view and always look angry.

3) All women look sad and have puffed out chests on side view.

might want to check out all the 2d final fantasies because they all have those traits

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
No?

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Ultros may not, but Chupon definitely does.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

The Jorts of Zeus posted:

The Shuffle Puck update fixed everything for the Galaxy S3,or at least it fixed it for me running an aokp rom.

Yeah it works on my n4 now. Very glad I left this game installed, it has a ton of personality.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

PrinnySquadron posted:

I've had the adviser turn up and say more than 1 of a building is good, so it may be worth it.

Trying to find more on that.

I'm nearly at year 7, 2 stars, and I'm noticing that against the monster groups (union, etc) my guys are getting absolutely DESTROYED. It's 4 or 5 monsters and they all 1 shot all my guys. Bosses and dungeons and regular monsters walking around barely dent my guys.

The hell?

KominAaa
Jun 5, 2005

[vocoder]
Ask-me-about-M4RX15M and-80s-era-spacesynth
[/vocoder]

Jmcrofts posted:

Yeah it works on my n4 now. Very glad I left this game installed, it has a ton of personality.

Ye we just fixed it!

Please don't forget to vote, it's helping us a lot. We were getting a lot of one star reviews because of that bug...

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
They need to port FTL over to Android already.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Fuzz posted:

They need to port FTL over to Android already.

It would be wonderful on a tablet, but the last statement I saw from them on the issue was "interesting idea, but 3 platform is enough"

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Saint Darwin posted:

I'm nearly at year 7, 2 stars, and I'm noticing that against the monster groups (union, etc) my guys are getting absolutely DESTROYED. It's 4 or 5 monsters and they all 1 shot all my guys. Bosses and dungeons and regular monsters walking around barely dent my guys.

The hell?

Bosses aren't too bad because they only attack one dude at a time, and regular monsters are rarely a threat. Unions usually have much tougher monster + greater numbers so its likely they a bunch of adventurers are taking damage at once and going down quickly. That's been my experience anyway.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

Yep?

The style is defiantly that of the image above.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

EVIR Gibson posted:

Yep?

The style is defiantly that of the image above.

That is a completely different style. You are objectively wrong.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Everybody has Sabin chest.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
What is wrong with women proudly thrusting forth their bosoms? Isn't that the point of being an adventurer? Is a sprite not entitled to the pixels of her chest?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

KominAaa posted:

Ye we just fixed it!

Please don't forget to vote, it's helping us a lot. We were getting a lot of one star reviews because of that bug...

You guys did awesome! Very glad I kept the game installed on my phone. I've never played the original (I assume this is a port?) but this is really fun and I actually played it a bunch while working yesterday. :v:

This could join Broken Sword I: Director's Cut as one of the few games I actually finish on my phone.

Also: "Oh no no no no no no." is going to end up being the quote of the week for me. I don't know why,

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Ignite Memories posted:

Everybody has Sabin chest.

Yeah, in dimensions they do. Sort of makes sense for sabin.. what with body slamming trains and all.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

KominAaa posted:

Ye we just fixed it!

I'm glad that they list the device reviews are coming from, but they need to take it a step further. There should be a separate rating if the game doesn't work. So you vote 1 through 5 or you vote not working. Then you can have 4.3 stars for the rating with the number of people claiming it doesn't work as a raw number or a percent. Rating something a 1 because it doesn't run on a dinosaur free phone from 2010 doesn't help consumers.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

What is wrong with women proudly thrusting forth their bosoms? Isn't that the point of being an adventurer? Is a sprite not entitled to the pixels of her chest?

"No!" says the Tumblrite, "it belongs to the censor!" "No!" Says the redditor, "It belongs to my spank bank," "No!" Says the 4channer, "It belongs to the public" I rejected those answers; instead I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... SomethingAwful, a city where artist wouldn't fear the censor, where the internet detective would not be bound by petty morality, Where the great would not be constrained by the small! And with the sweat of your brow, SomethingAwful can become your city as well.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Kharmakazy posted:

That is a completely different style. You are objectively wrong.

Well, since you put it that way, how can I possibly deny that!

You have won the Internet! Congratulations!

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

The Jorts of Zeus posted:

Rating something a 1 because it doesn't run on a dinosaur free phone from 2010 doesn't help consumers.
What about Sim City, which only works on dinosaur free phones from 2010 but not a brand new one? What is to stop people from deciding to rate something as "1" instead of not working? I think if anything, the ratings should take into account what version was reviewed, so that older version's reviews are not weighed as heavily as new versions.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

It's a common phenomena that people who do ratings (surveys, etc) only do it if they had a really good or really bad experience, and in that group it's much more common if it's bad. It's not really about warning people, it's a vindictive action because the consumer is pissed that something didn't work/didn't taste how they wanted/didn't look like they thought it would.

In fact throwing out the all 5 star/all 1 star outliers is not unheard of because they're usually an insane person.

edit: I had a point but I lost it. TLDR ignore 1 and 5 star reviews?

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 8, 2013

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Saint Darwin posted:

The hell?

For me it was around year 9 or 10 that the difficulty spiked way up and normal mobs would sometimes 1-shot my dudes (this becomes way more true again near the end).

I built two of just about every shop and tried to place housing so that adventurers had to walk past them to get home.

This is especially true of the buildings like the Archery Range or Combat School, which give substantial stat boosts.

Also, try to get everyone to learn Heal if possible.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Saint Darwin posted:

It's a common phenomena that people who do ratings (surveys, etc) only do it if they had a really good or really bad experience, and in that group it's much more common if it's bad. It's not really about warning people, it's a vindictive action because the consumer is pissed that something didn't work/didn't taste how they wanted/didn't look like they thought it would.

In fact throwing out the all 5 star/all 1 star outliers is not unheard of because they're usually an insane person.

edit: I had a point but I lost it. TLDR ignore 1 and 5 star reviews?

In this case it can still be useful since you can see what phone and version of Android they're running. If nobody with a RAZR MAXX HD can get an app to work, it's a pretty safe bet that not every single person giving a low rating due to that is "an insane person", and other owners of the same phone would do well to heed the warning. I don't think "ignore all 1 and 5 start reviews" is at all sound advice. Sure, sometimes you have crazy or stupid people, but you can usually figure those out from how the review is written.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

precision posted:

For me it was around year 9 or 10 that the difficulty spiked way up and normal mobs would sometimes 1-shot my dudes (this becomes way more true again near the end).

I built two of just about every shop and tried to place housing so that adventurers had to walk past them to get home.

This is especially true of the buildings like the Archery Range or Combat School, which give substantial stat boosts.

Also, try to get everyone to learn Heal if possible.

I can't get past 2 stars. The highest income I've gotten is 31k. I have literally run out of room unless I start knocking over flowers and not all my shops are even profitable.

So bad at this game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Saint Darwin posted:

I can't get past 2 stars. The highest income I've gotten is 31k. I have literally run out of room unless I start knocking over flowers and not all my shops are even profitable.

So bad at this game.

Well if I remember correctly, year 7 is pretty early to 3-star (I think I actually met the requirements for 3 and 4 star at the same time). How much have you expanded your village? I never had trouble with needing more room, maybe you're building too many flower beds?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I'm up to midway year 9 now. I've done all the expansion it will let me (the one time, don't I need 3 and some huge pop for the second expansion?)

edit: Yeh, they're getting 1 shot pretty much. I might have to restart :(

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 8, 2013

l0lwhat
Mar 30, 2005

Who touched my nuts?
guys play book of heroes with me so we can gather awesome loot.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Besides what is in the OP, can anyone recommend some good Android ports of gamed like Catan and Carcassonne?

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

vulturesrow posted:

Besides what is in the OP, can anyone recommend some good Android ports of gamed like Catan and Carcassonne?

Pretty sure there's an official release of Settlers of Catan:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.exozet.android.catan&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
How's that Mass Effect game?

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
I liked it, though I wasn't playing for the story (which I've heard was poo poo). It doesn't do a standard lovely touch screen dual stick setup. I can't remember exactly how it worked, but it was an interesting set up that worked well. I don't know how much it costs now, but if it's cheap, it'd be worth it.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Yes that one is in the OP. I'm looking for similar boardgames on Android, not stuff like Risk and Monopoly.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Saint Darwin posted:

I'm up to midway year 9 now. I've done all the expansion it will let me (the one time, don't I need 3 and some huge pop for the second expansion?)

edit: Yeh, they're getting 1 shot pretty much. I might have to restart :(

So I figured out that I just needed to pile on the consumables on my buildings. Bought out the shop, maxed the gold on everything I could, got 49k the next time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

vulturesrow posted:

Yes that one is in the OP. I'm looking for similar boardgames on Android, not stuff like Risk and Monopoly.

I would be so happy if Cosmic Encounter were on droid with online multiplayer.

I was about to get Settlers of Catan then noticed it's hotseat only. Are there any relatively complex games (ie more complex than Risk) with online multiplayer? It seems like a massive untapped market and I have no idea why.

I'd also settle for a card game like Steve Jackson's Illuminati or Munchkin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

Peep the left side :smugdog:

• Locked thread