Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

That or some easy-to-digest version of You Lust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
I remember that when they played "See the Leaves" on the Tonight Show the week that Embryonic came out, it was suitably hosed up and grim.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

chime_on posted:

I remember that when they played "See the Leaves" on the Tonight Show the week that Embryonic came out, it was suitably hosed up and grim.

It was 'Watching the Planets,' and it was awesome.

My favorite is still when they played 'Mountain Side' on Jon Stewart, though. Also, this.

Surfingelectrode fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 8, 2013

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

The Terror vinyl on Amazon is a somewhat reasonable $33. With tax was about $37 with free two-day shipping with prime.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Surfingelectrode posted:

It was 'Watching the Planets,' and it was awesome.

My favorite is still when they played 'Mountain Side' on Jon Stewart, though. Also, this.

Oh, right. That was the week of my father's funeral. That record just sounded perfect at the time.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Looks like the Zaireeka 4xLP set is gonna be $70. 'think that's too expensive to be flipper-bait?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

WASDF posted:

Looks like the Zaireeka 4xLP set is gonna be $70. 'think that's too expensive to be flipper-bait?

Probably. I doubt that'll get flipped much because it's something not a lot of people are going to want in the first place. Even if people do try to flip it on ebay, eventually they'll just pile up and people will start selling them for retail to brake even on it.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
They pressed like 7500 of 'em.

They'll be around for some time, I'd wager.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

30, 000 records. Dayum

is this through Lovely Sorts of Death or Warner Bros. I wonder.

WASDF fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 10, 2013

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

The UK CD and vinyl releases of the new album are going to come with a mini CD and 7" (respectively) of 'Sun Blows Up Today'. Looks like the US versions won't, because Warner Bros. suck and I hate them.

Also, that 'We Don't Control the Controls' bonus track on the iTunes and vinyl releases is a mashup remix of the entire album by Dan Deacon.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Good and bad news!

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Surfingelectrode posted:

Also, that 'We Don't Control the Controls' bonus track on the iTunes and vinyl releases is a mashup remix of the entire album by Dan Deacon.
Holy poo poo, awesome! Dan's recent mashup tape was awesome and I'm glad to see that he's doing more.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
http://store.flaminglips.com/the-terror-limited-edition-colored-vinyl-463882.html

Coloured vinyl edition of The Terror. Pricey.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

That's a dollar more than the regular rear end version.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Is there a regular-rear end-version?

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er

CPL593H posted:

Yeah, but throw in $8 for shipping that will take 4-6 weeks and suddenly it's a bit different!

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Which was already really expensive. I don't know why they need to charge so much.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I wonder if the Amazon version I pre-ordered is colored.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Doctor Cave posted:

Which was already really expensive. I don't know why they need to charge so much.

Because we'll all buy it anyway.

A SHAMEFUL CAT
Jan 20, 2009

~*confused dog noize*~

Doctor Cave posted:

Because this is what major label prestige acts releasing collector's market artifacts do! (see Young, Neil)

On that note: did the Lips actually resign with Warner at some point in the last ten years or are they just tied in to a lousy early 90s contract where WB are guaranteed twenty LPs?

A SHAMEFUL CAT fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 12, 2013

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

A SHAMEFUL CAT posted:

Because this is what major label prestige acts releasing collector's market artifacts do! (see Young, Neil)

On that note: did the Lips actually resign with Warner at some point in the last ten years or are they just tied in to a lousy early 90s contract where WB are guaranteed twenty LPs?

I'm pretty sure they chose to stick with them as of the last year or two.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

A SHAMEFUL CAT posted:

I think they resigned around 2011 or so.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Because we'll all buy it anyway.

I already have :negative: :suicide:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Doctor Cave posted:

I already have :negative: :suicide:

See! You played right into their hands.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

I feel so dirty.

Now to resist buying that Zaireeka reissue when it comes out, even though I can't even play it properly.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I'm more excited about the alleged vinyl release of Trapped in the Closet.

Floydthebarber
Jun 1, 2004

Pricey, but what's another buck or two for swanky silver coloring? Preordered, thanks! :dance:

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

I went for the UK lp for The Terror. It's 22 UKP shipped to the US (with discount code PRESALE at http://www.rise-music.co.uk/browse/search/flaming+lips/item/245938/Flaming-Lips-The-Terror.html). Figured it's a winner for the bonus 7", although I do hope it has zany-colored vinyl. $32.85 at current exchange rates.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

CPL593H posted:

I'm more excited about the alleged vinyl release of Trapped in the Closet.

The Stone Roses then R Kelly?????!!!!

Pookdaddy G
Jun 13, 2007

iluvpr0n posted:

I went for the UK lp for The Terror. It's 22 UKP shipped to the US (with discount code PRESALE at http://www.rise-music.co.uk/browse/search/flaming+lips/item/245938/Flaming-Lips-The-Terror.html). Figured it's a winner for the bonus 7", although I do hope it has zany-colored vinyl. $32.85 at current exchange rates.

Has anyone bought from them before? I am always wary of those drat kids and their online vinyl shopping.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

looks like, at least the vinyl version of The Terror was delayed to the 16th on both Amazon and the flaming lips store.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

WASDF posted:

looks like, at least the vinyl version of The Terror was delayed to the 16th on both Amazon and the flaming lips store.

The CD version, too.

Just a reminder that the Lips' set at SXSW tonight is going to be streamed live here. I could be wrong, but I think they're going to be playing the entire Yoshimi record tonight and then unveiling the new stage show and playing all of The Terror tomorrow night (which isn't being streamed, unfortunately). The Lips go on at 12:45 Central time.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Surfingelectrode posted:

The CD version, too.

Just a reminder that the Lips' set at SXSW tonight is going to be streamed live here. I could be wrong, but I think they're going to be playing the entire Yoshimi record tonight and then unveiling the new stage show and playing all of The Terror tomorrow night (which isn't being streamed, unfortunately). The Lips go on at 12:45 Central time.

Fuuuuuck, really wishing I was at SXSW right now.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

i hope whenever the lips tour on a big scale again for this album, it's not big venues. If it's a huge festival thing it's pretty much gonna be infested with Yoshimi and I am honest-to-god bored to tears of that album.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

WASDF posted:

i hope whenever the lips tour on a big scale again for this album, it's not big venues. If it's a huge festival thing it's pretty much gonna be infested with Yoshimi and I am honest-to-god bored to tears of that album.

Just from reading some of their recent interviews, I think the plan is to play The Terror in its entirety at every show.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I was going to try to get into that, but alas, I feel like eight asses and do not have the energy to go downtown. My girlfriend is going to the big free show tomorrow, but I'll be DJing that goddamn wedding then. Augh.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Here's a recording of last night's Yoshimi show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77dF-S_dA2o

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Tonight's the night

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Surfingelectrode posted:

Here's a recording of last night's Yoshimi show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77dF-S_dA2o

Hella bummed that they didn't do Approaching Pavonis...oh well. Is there going to be a stream for tonight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

WASDF posted:

The Lips apparently have a compulsion to play absolutely every single loving festival every single loving year.

• Locked thread