Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Will there be "Pretty Borders" CB in EU4, and will the AI be programmed with a sense of aesthetics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I can't be the only one who finds naval combat stultifying in every game (maybe with the exception of Pirates!) It's always a big chore micromanaging your fleet - the AI can easily control every ship individually (if stupidly) but I don't have the patience to be checking on a dozen little fleets all the time. The new naval model looks sort of interesting in theory, but I don't think it'll decrease the amount of micro that you need to make navies effective.

I actually kind of see these changes as driving down naval micromanagement by a whole bunch, if only because the size of your fleet is going to be capped by naval supply

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

So Battlegoat Studios announced a new game in the Supreme Ruler series, and there's no mention of Paradox anywhere. Though their last outing, Cold War, proved to be an unplayable mess, Paradox was the publisher and despite Battlegoat denying that their technology is licensed, it always gave me a very strong, if not extremely modified, Europa engine vibe. Seeing how the last game turned out, I'm not too optimistic about 1936, even if, on paper, the Supreme Ruler series ticked all the right boxes for me. Good decision for Paradox, I guess, unless an announcement is coming further down the line.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

gradenko_2000 posted:

Darkrenown! You mentioned this in the DD thread:

"There is a blockade effect based on the % of your ports blockaded which affects the price of WM imports. IIRC, we upped the effect here too."

Did you mean that this effect already exists in V2 right now and was just increased for HOD, or is it a new HOD feature? That would actually give a lot more value to navies in wars.

It's in right now, being fully blockaded in your home continent doubles the cost of imports.

V for Vegas posted:

Why not just have a toggable button? Click once for Naval bases, click twice for Forts.

Don't have support for toggle button mapmodes :effort:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
We used to joke that the Paradox smiley was :effort:, but we never dreamed of having it confirmed by the developers!

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Darkrenown posted:

It's in right now, being fully blockaded in your home continent doubles the cost of imports.
Neat. That's one step closer to regional markets, I guess. At least it prevents a totally blockaded GB from resisting the effects because a few dudes in the Bahamas are sitting pretty.

Crackpipe posted:

Something Went Wrong with Poland
EU3's tribal invasion stuff is the kind of mechanic that only ever works on paper. In practice, Poland is constantly at war with one tribal nation or another and is constantly whooping them and snaking east. With luck EU4 will be using whatever nomad mechanic they figure out for The Old Gods.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I doubt that Old Gods will have a nomad system that extends beyond adventurers.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I doubt that Old Gods will have a nomad system that extends beyond adventurers.
They've already said that the Magyars would require one.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
EU IV Dev Diary: Austria/HRE. Again nothing too revolutionary but the changes to the HRE election and voting systems sound like they will make a lot more sense and be less abusable, hopefully forming the HRE will be a lot more difficult.

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Mokotow posted:

So Battlegoat Studios announced a new game in the Supreme Ruler series, and there's no mention of Paradox anywhere. Though their last outing, Cold War, proved to be an unplayable mess, Paradox was the publisher and despite Battlegoat denying that their technology is licensed, it always gave me a very strong, if not extremely modified, Europa engine vibe. Seeing how the last game turned out, I'm not too optimistic about 1936, even if, on paper, the Supreme Ruler series ticked all the right boxes for me. Good decision for Paradox, I guess, unless an announcement is coming further down the line.

They arent using our engine. At least not as far as I know :D

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mokotow posted:

Having played Supreme Ruler Cold War, I can't imagine how this is going to be competitive with the HOI series. HOI3 is (on some levels) unmanageable enough without having to turn the map into a free-movement square grid and even more units to drive around.

Darkrenown posted:

Very cool! I'll try to use that in my current game, thanks!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

podcat posted:

They arent using our engine. At least not as far as I know :D

I believe Ubik licensed it to them.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

RabidWeasel posted:

EU IV Dev Diary: Austria/HRE. Again nothing too revolutionary but the changes to the HRE election and voting systems sound like they will make a lot more sense and be less abusable, hopefully forming the HRE will be a lot more difficult.
While the game does look like it has a lot of potential, the way ideas are handled and the (a)historical forcing of history really doesn't sit right with me. The way they seem to think of the HRE member states as being independent realms (kingdoms even!) doesn't really tickle my fancy either. That might be how it ended up (though the kingdoms were after the end, Bohemia (and kinda Prussia) excepted.), but at the beginning of the game there's little difference between France and Germany in terms of centralization and royal authority. Basically, a lot of their design decisions seem to be projecting the end game unto the past, which I find a bit annoying. The new national idea system to replace the ideas + sliders of EU4 might also be superior in terms of vanilla content, but I wonder what it does in terms of modding. That's really one of my biggest reservations about the game, that while the vanilla experience does seem to be a marked improvement, the modding side of things might suffer a bit. That's just how it looks to me at the moment though, but speculating about modding for an unreleased game is perhaps a bit premature. :v:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

A Buttery Pastry posted:

While the game does look like it has a lot of potential, the way ideas are handled and the (a)historical forcing of history really doesn't sit right with me. The way they seem to think of the HRE member states as being independent realms (kingdoms even!) doesn't really tickle my fancy either. That might be how it ended up (though the kingdoms were after the end, Bohemia (and kinda Prussia) excepted.), but at the beginning of the game there's little difference between France and Germany in terms of centralization and royal authority. Basically, a lot of their design decisions seem to be projecting the end game unto the past, which I find a bit annoying. The new national idea system to replace the ideas + sliders of EU4 might also be superior in terms of vanilla content, but I wonder what it does in terms of modding. That's really one of my biggest reservations about the game, that while the vanilla experience does seem to be a marked improvement, the modding side of things might suffer a bit. That's just how it looks to me at the moment though, but speculating about modding for an unreleased game is perhaps a bit premature. :v:

The tricky thing about early modern Germany is that basically you have to strike a balance between major power playablity/realism and playability of the German states, which isn't really there in say, board games who can happily abstract the actions of the German states as subsidiaries to one major power or the other.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Eh? Custom National Ideas seems like a much more ripe ground for modding than sliders were, imo.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Lichtenstein posted:

Eh? Custom National Ideas seems like a much more ripe ground for modding than sliders were, imo.

Yeah as long as they aren't hardcoded or something, it seems like a talented modder might be able to do stuff like give every nation some unique ideas so every nation has some slight changes in how they play, add in an event maybe so you can decide if the unique NI you got doesn't make sense for your nation anymore and trade it in for a different unique one (like Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite for an Absolute Monarchy France that crushed the revolution or maybe even never had one, instead trading it in for "Vive Le Roi!"), maybe have the NIs unlock unique unit types or something... I could see it be interesting.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Having played Supreme Ruler Cold War, I can't imagine how this is going to be competitive with the HOI series. HOI3 is (on some levels) unmanageable enough without having to turn the map into a free-movement square grid and even more units to drive around.

I believe it was in SR:CW where you can win as literally any nation on earth, just by building like 20 research facilities and then a couple years later, annexing every nation on earth by nuking their armies and then missileing their cities into submission. I'm not saying that's not awesome, but I am saying this doesn't make me think their WWII game will be sufficiently... historical. Battlegoat needs their own CK2 where they realize "hey our games can really user friendly AND deep!" before I would try them again.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Some of EU4 HRE looks nice, but there is one little thing on there that worries me. I like that there will be a modifier for Elector vassals to make it so that all the other Electors hate you, but you can also go to war to remove Elector status, and assign it to whoever you like.

So what is there to stop the Emperor from just collecting 4 vassals, and then making them all Electors? It doesn't matter if the other ones hate you, because 4 gives you a majority. And hell, just go all out and revoke/assign to a few more vassals, and end up with a full set of 7. It looks like it'll be even easier to game the HRE in EU4, which seems like the opposite of what was planned.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

SeaTard posted:

So what is there to stop the Emperor from just collecting 4 vassals, and then making them all Electors? It doesn't matter if the other ones hate you, because 4 gives you a majority. And hell, just go all out and revoke/assign to a few more vassals, and end up with a full set of 7. It looks like it'll be even easier to game the HRE in EU4, which seems like the opposite of what was planned.

If you have 4 elector vassals I'm pretty sure they will all hate you and vote for something else. They said in the forum that having an elector as vassal is no guarantee of them voting for you.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

SeaTard posted:

Some of EU4 HRE looks nice, but there is one little thing on there that worries me. I like that there will be a modifier for Elector vassals to make it so that all the other Electors hate you, but you can also go to war to remove Elector status, and assign it to whoever you like.

Each vassal elector getting 3-6 hits of "I hate your guts because you vassalised other electors" would probably do it.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I don't really see in the DD where it says you can revoke, and then reassign the electorship at will. It does say you can declare war to revoke it and it implies there are scenarios where there can be less than 7 electors but it never states the Emperor will be the one who gets to pick the new elector.

E: WAIT disregard, I found it, it does indeed say you can revoke and then pick a specific ruler to become the new elector.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

SeaTard posted:

DD says you can only make independent nations into electors

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Cowcatcher posted:

DD says you can only make independent nations into electors

Ah, I missed that part. That pretty much gets rid of the problem, although I do wonder if it's possible to keep the number of Electors artificially low. EU3 had a few events that would revoke/grant Elector status, but if it's purely handled through diplomatic actions in EU4, it should be possible to revoke all of the Electorate except for a single vassal, who would then keep voting you in forever. That's solvable pretty easily by just having an event if the number of Electors gets below 4 that grants status to a random country.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

SeaTard posted:

Ah, I missed that part. That pretty much gets rid of the problem, although I do wonder if it's possible to keep the number of Electors artificially low. EU3 had a few events that would revoke/grant Elector status, but if it's purely handled through diplomatic actions in EU4, it should be possible to revoke all of the Electorate except for a single vassal, who would then keep voting you in forever. That's solvable pretty easily by just having an event if the number of Electors gets below 4 that grants status to a random country.

Imperial authority decreases by 1 each year for every empty elector seat.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Nightblade posted:

Dev diary just says it decreases by 1/year if there are less than 7 electors, it doesn't mention the penalty getting worse the less there are.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Nightblade posted:

Yeah, I know you won't be able to pass any reforms, but you could at least stay as a permanent head until you've got things settled.

I'm just trying to find ways to break the game with just tiny amounts of information to speculate on, because Paradox hasn't opened beta applications yet :argh:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Friend Commuter posted:

Dev diary just says it decreases by 1/year if there are less than 7 electors, it doesn't mention the penalty getting worse the less there are.

Johan expanded his answer further in.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Friend Commuter posted:

Later, on page 2, Johan writes "1 per elector missing.."

SeaTard posted:

Yeah, I know you won't be able to pass any reforms, but you could at least stay as a permanent head until you've got things settled.

I'm just trying to find ways to break the game with just tiny amounts of information to speculate on, because Paradox hasn't opened beta applications yet :argh:

Yeah, trying to find ways to break the game is one of my favourite parts of the paradox games. :)
It does sound like a valid strategy assuming you don't get any relationship penalties for negative authority, or something.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Lichtenstein posted:

Steppe Wolfe was doing National Ideas before Paradox ever dreamed of them. Does the plundering not stop with Ubik, Johan?

We are a Bulgarian State. :colbert:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Re: the Electors issue, it could also be that there are controls on the front end that keep you from removing too many Electors. Maybe it's kind of a lovely CB, maybe you get a ton of infamy for it, maybe it causes a huge relations hit with other members of the HRE, etc. That last one would cover it pretty well. Say there are 7 electors and you want to remove/reassign 4, it could be that that process involves so many penalties to HRE relations that by the time you've revoked 4, no one left likes you very much and you've gone to all this trouble just to have to reassign the Electorship to some dudes that hate you.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
Removing an elector SHOULD cost you imperial authority though... Aristocracy doesn't look too fondly when their relatives/spouses/both are disenfranchised.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Tomn posted:

Steppe Wolfe was doing National Ideas before Paradox ever dreamed of them. Does the plundering not stop with Ubik, Johan?

We are a Bulgarian State. :colbert:

I'm waiting for Paradox to publish Fjord Wolfe: as a Scandinavian state we get several bonuses.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Bold Robot posted:

Re: the Electors issue, it could also be that there are controls on the front end that keep you from removing too many Electors. Maybe it's kind of a lovely CB, maybe you get a ton of infamy for it, maybe it causes a huge relations hit with other members of the HRE, etc. That last one would cover it pretty well. Say there are 7 electors and you want to remove/reassign 4, it could be that that process involves so many penalties to HRE relations that by the time you've revoked 4, no one left likes you very much and you've gone to all this trouble just to have to reassign the Electorship to some dudes that hate you.

Maybe some kind of CB that's unlocked for "having a tyrannical emperor?" It could work like the Personal Union succession wars, where the revolters press the claim of a different Prince of the Empire to the throne. The pretender could even have his title change to Anti-Emperor until the war's over :getin:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Panzeh posted:

The tricky thing about early modern Germany is that basically you have to strike a balance between major power playablity/realism and playability of the German states, which isn't really there in say, board games who can happily abstract the actions of the German states as subsidiaries to one major power or the other.
Yeah, I can totally understand why Germany is treated differently than France, I would just prefer it to be a more conscious decision rather than based on an anachronistic view of the place. Really, if you wanted to model things more accurately you would basically have to continue the CK system, just perhaps with a bit less detail and demesne sizes growing significantly over time.

DrProsek posted:

Yeah as long as they aren't hardcoded or something, it seems like a talented modder might be able to do stuff like give every nation some unique ideas so every nation has some slight changes in how they play, add in an event maybe so you can decide if the unique NI you got doesn't make sense for your nation anymore and trade it in for a different unique one (like Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite for an Absolute Monarchy France that crushed the revolution or maybe even never had one, instead trading it in for "Vive Le Roi!"), maybe have the NIs unlock unique unit types or something... I could see it be interesting.
Yes, depending on how they're implemented they might be very useful to modders, but the great thing about the sliders was the range you could represent with them, where ideas are more binary. Basically, I wouldn't have minded both the new idea system, and sliders. At least how I imagine the game now, can't say anything for certain until we get our hands on the game.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
The only real reservations I have about EU4 right now are how they're going to handle nomads (since hordes and tribal invasions are dumb'r'n hell) and how many nations are going to have those special national ideas. That reeks of MotE and my fear is that, like, eight nations are going to get them and give clear advantages. It'd be like forcing Lucky Nations on and make playing anything but those nations a far lesser experience.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

The only real reservations I have about EU4 right now are how they're going to handle nomads (since hordes and tribal invasions are dumb'r'n hell) and how many nations are going to have those special national ideas. That reeks of MotE and my fear is that, like, eight nations are going to get them and give clear advantages. It'd be like forcing Lucky Nations on and make playing anything but those nations a far lesser experience.

Get Wiz to code the entire CB and peace offer AI, resulting in eternal pretty borders.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
They mentioned in one of the dev diaries that you will be able to swap NIs around by event so there's plenty of room for modders to make the NI system into something with the same or similar gameplay impact but without the weird anachronisticities.

Let's not forget that if EU4 follows CK2's development path, there will be multiple major additions to the game in the form of patches. What we're getting at first is just the 'new' EU3 vanilla so there's plenty of hope for new major gameplay systems (such as factions!) to be added later. They really seem to be concentrating on the core gameplay of trade and diplomacy which is really where the focus of the period should be so perhaps it's for the best that there isn't too much totally cool new stuff for them to work on at once. Nobody wants another HoI3.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Does anyone here's pc have an i3-3225, i was wondering if ck2 runs really smooth on that or if you feel like you're a little cpu bound?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Looking up the specs you should be fine running the game smoothly! If it feels sluggish you could always try Process Lasso(Free Version) and dump non-critical processes to a HT while leaving games on the physicals. RAM could be the only other problem, but it's rare to have less than 8 nowadays.

As a comparison my old i5-750(OC'd to 3.0) has never run into any problems.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Mar 9, 2013

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Is there any Paradox game that features the Persian Empire? As in, the big Empire we had ages ago and not the mess we have now.

Also am I the only one who wants more voice acting in Paradox games? Not a whole lot like in rts games but a bit when units move around or you interact with nations. Sort of like Civ V in the diplomacy screen.
I guess voice actors cost too much, good ones at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I hope that's something they never implement, it would get tiresome really quickly.

• Locked thread