Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP
sometimes I find that it helps to group whatever I want to automate and make a macro (throw utility in there for a volume knob). Works well when I want to automate my external gear at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Oldstench posted:

By inserted devices do you mean VSTis and Live instruments? If so, just click the E in the Clip editor and then click the control you want to automate. The selected control will automatically show up in the command dropdown. Edit (now with curves!) and enjoy.

If I totally misunderstand what you are asking, sorry.

Yeah, that is what I'm talking about. But whereas 8 had a drop down list of parameters to automate, as well as a button dedicated to pitch bending and volume automation, I just see 'midi pitch bend' and a bunch of generic CC commands in 9 beta. I haven't tried 9 proper since release- I did a fresh install and only finished setting it up on both computers right before bed last night. I'm only assuming it's similar.

Thank God for automation curves, although I have to admit the implementation still leaves something to be desired compared to FL10, which has all manners of shapes and curves to choose from.

utamaru posted:

sometimes I find that it helps to group whatever I want to automate and make a macro (throw utility in there for a volume knob). Works well when I want to automate my external gear at least.

Hands down one of the best ideas. Setting up a macro and automating it beats the hell out of, say, individually automating a reverb dry/wet, decay time, a vst filter, and a high pass filter for those big reverb/white noise wash outs. Really speeds up workflow, but you have to commit, because trying to edit it after the fact can be quite a pain.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 6, 2013

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Poizen Jam posted:

Yeah, that is what I'm talking about. But whereas 8 had a drop down list of parameters to automate, as well as a button dedicated to pitch bending and volume automation, I just see 'midi pitch bend' and a bunch of generic CC commands in 9 beta. I haven't tried 9 proper since release- I did a fresh install and only finished setting it up on both computers right before bed last night. I'm only assuming it's similar.

Thank God for automation curves, although I have to admit the implementation still leaves something to be desired compared to FL10, which has all manners of shapes and curves to choose from.

OK. Well, just do what I said then. Click on the parameter in the VSTi you want to automate and it will be the selected parameter to create envelopes for in the clip. All automated parameters will then show up in the dropdown with a red box next to their name.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Lump Shaker posted:

Have you spent time learning subtractive EQ/general mixing and compression?

Siets posted:

This is probably where I am weakest.

Mandatory viewing for learning about EQ:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_-PjWts3nI

quote:

edit: Holy moly, this almost feels like cheating. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvTngLxmaH0

There is no such thing as cheating.

There's only lying - to the audience or to yourself about the skills you have. Cheating? Nope. Cheating is quantizing if you can't play in time. It's recording a dozen takes while on a stage you'd only get one attempt to do it right. It's auto-tune if your natural singing voice makes mirrors crack.

Sometimes you buy a box, hook it up, and it makes everything better by default. Then the secret is that box. Sometimes you buy a box, use it an unconventional way, and it makes everything better by default, and then the secret is that method.

Cut up the Amen break in tiny pieces on a device with as much memory as a goldfish and more buttonpushing than Street Fighter in the arcade, or drop a glitch plugin over it. You don't get points for effort.

quote:

I know this is the "wrong" way to use music theory (because I'm not really learning it by using this technique), but wow, talk about turning the difficulty down to easy mode...

No problem. Just find something else to discern yourself from the thousands of people who've seen that video. But don't feel guilty about spending the time to acquire that skill the hard way; then you know how to move while the others get stuck.

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP
If you want to think of that video about chords a little bit less like cheating, it's basically the same as writing this on a piece of paper:

Not very revolutionary, but it actually took me some time to realize this. If we need youtube videos to tell us that, and we're so hung up on "doing it right" then it's important to remember that music is often judged for what it is, not how it is it. *whatever famous classical piece in a major* isn't any less of a work of art even though it says "a major" in the title. It's also one of the main reasons I'm getting the push.

utamaru fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 6, 2013

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Laserjet 4P posted:

Mandatory viewing for learning about EQ:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_-PjWts3nI

There is no such thing as cheating.

There's only lying - to the audience or to yourself about the skills you have. Cheating? Nope. Cheating is quantizing if you can't play in time. It's recording a dozen takes while on a stage you'd only get one attempt to do it right. It's auto-tune if your natural singing voice makes mirrors crack.

Sometimes you buy a box, hook it up, and it makes everything better by default. Then the secret is that box. Sometimes you buy a box, use it an unconventional way, and it makes everything better by default, and then the secret is that method.

Cut up the Amen break in tiny pieces on a device with as much memory as a goldfish and more buttonpushing than Street Fighter in the arcade, or drop a glitch plugin over it. You don't get points for effort. (Seriously there is not enough bold for this statement!!!)

No problem. Just find something else to discern yourself from the thousands of people who've seen that video. But don't feel guilty about spending the time to acquire that skill the hard way; then you know how to move while the others get stuck.

Do you mind if I just link my friends to this exact post when we talk about electronic music? I can't tell you how many times I've had "that" conversation with self-proclaimed "musical purists" who think classical instrumentation and music is the pinnacle of human achievement and that every electronic music producer is a no-talent hack because we rely on *hissssss* technology to make our sounds and music automatically at the push of a script for us!!!

/rant

Seriously, thank you for this though. Extremely concise way of putting things that I've always had trouble nailing down for others.

Also regarding the musical scale diagram, I think we are taught to feel guilty when effort isn't put in. I didn't have to develop muscle memory mindsets when playing in a specific scale, I just made those notes go away on Ableton's midi keyboard!

The listener will never even know. On a live stage, it's still up to you to find a way to be impressive. Utilize the freedom that you have given yourself with the technology to do new creative things that a dude with a guitar simply cannot do.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

utamaru posted:

If you want to think of that video about chords a little bit less like cheating, it's basically the same as writing this on a piece of paper:

Not very revolutionary, but it actually took me some time to realize this. If we need youtube videos to tell us that, and we're so hung up on "doing it right" then it's important to remember that music is often judged for what it is, not how it is it. *whatever famous classical piece in a major* isn't any less of a work of art even though it says "a major" in the title. It's also one of the main reasons I'm getting the push.

Actually that example is in A minor, which is the relative minor of C major, which is zero sharps or flats. :v:

My general attitude is that the important thing is for people to be able to express themselves, to have the tools to be creative, to share something and learn something. I also tend to think that the important thing is whatever gets peoples' heads nodding, whatever rocks a party and gets asses moving on the dancefloor. And that's all true to a point, but it's not the whole story.

Shortcuts like that chord trick, or a MIDI effect that maps everything to a scale, can be useful learning aid, but they're like training wheels. There's nothing wrong with training wheels, and maybe sometimes you've even thought of some novel experimental use for a bike that wouldn't be possible without them. But it's a mistake to think of them as a shortcut with no downside.

Your non-musical friends might not care "how music is", but good musicians sure as gently caress do, and if you want to step up your game and further yourself, you should have the honesty and humility to admit when and why you are taking shortcuts. You can't learn everything at once, and there is always more to learn, but you should have the ambition to fill in the gaps and not just leave well enough alone because it sounds "okay" -- you're cheating yourself out of a lot of potential sounds and technique that way.

Siets posted:

Also regarding the musical scale diagram, I think we are taught to feel guilty when effort isn't put in. I didn't have to develop muscle memory mindsets when playing in a specific scale, I just made those notes go away on Ableton's midi keyboard!

Sure but YOU MADE NOTES GO AWAY, why would you want to make notes go away?

Again, I don't think shortcuts are inherently bad, and I understand that often a creative work is defined by its limitation, by deliberately using a limited palette that frees you up to explore in other dimensions.

But telling yourself "it's a win-win situation, I just made the notes go away", I think that's dangerous because you're cheating yourself out of a lot of useful technique without even realizing it. When you learn scales, it's not just about developing muscle memory, it's also about ear training, it's about building an intuitive sense of the intervals within that scale, how that scale relates to other scales, and how and when it sounds good to play outside of that scale -- how to spice up your music with passing tones, chromatic movement, interesting dissonance, etc.

quote:

Utilize the freedom that you have given yourself with the technology to do new creative things that a dude with a guitar simply cannot do.

Why not go one better, learn some theory, and use the freedom you have given yourself with that knowledge to do new creative things that a dude with an EZ-scale effect simply cannot do? :D

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
The Ableton website now has Push listed as "ships in 12-16 weeks" (up from 2-4 weeks) :aaaaa:

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP

h_double posted:

Actually that example is in A minor, which is the relative minor of C major, which is zero sharps or flats. :v:
I know but I figured that would be a lame example :(

utamaru fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 7, 2013

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Death! Put your jacket on or you'll get frostbite!
Anyone using VDJ with Ableton 9?

I'm interested in getting all audio from VDJ into Ableton, to use Abelton as a mixer and VDJ as decks basically.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

utamaru posted:

I know but I figured that would be a lame example :(
Heh, I know what you mean. When I first heard that A minor was the most common key in dance music, my immediate reaction was, "Oh no. That's the one with no black keys." In my mind, A min was Easy Mode.

But as was recently said in this thread,

Laserjet 4P posted:

You don't get points for effort.

That's why I now write all of my Top 40 bangers with Dr. Drum.

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP

Radiapathy posted:

Heh, I know what you mean. When I first heard that A minor was the most common key in dance music, my immediate reaction was, "Oh no. That's the one with no black keys." In my mind, A min was Easy Mode.

That and the fact that this doesn't illustrate the same thing as well

:v:

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
It makes sense that a lot of dance music is in Am, both because a lot of producers are self-taught (and don't have any formal keyboard skills going in), and because it's desirable to make records that a DJ can mix easily with other records. The fact that the A note in a low register fits nicely with the design of big sound systems is nice bonus.

But remember that a key signature is not the same thing as a scale. A key signature does not limit what notes you can play, it only tells you where the harmonic center (the tonal "center of gravity") is located. Most EDM is pretty simple in chord choices (house, especially deep house, can be an exception, with a lot of extended jazzy chords), but even if a song is built around a couple of simple minor chords, you can and should use other notes elsewhere in a song. Half-steps can add a lot of body to a bassline (listen to some good 303 basslines or funk basslines), sequences of climbing/falling half steps sound really cool, or you can just oscillate back and forth like the Jaws theme or Space Invaders. Tritones can be a great way to create tension or sound really eerie and spacy.

Key signatures and scales do not limit your note choices, they just provide a center of balance, and a reference point to harmonize to.

h_double fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 7, 2013

SynthesizerKaiser
Jan 28, 2009
BOOSTER JUICE
This is a little thing, but it's really annoying. In Suite 9 when I go to save a project, I'm taken to the desktop instead of the project info folder where I should be. The "Open recent set" list isn't updating, either. Suggestions?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

SynthesizerKaiser posted:

This is a little thing, but it's really annoying. In Suite 9 when I go to save a project, I'm taken to the desktop instead of the project info folder where I should be. The "Open recent set" list isn't updating, either. Suggestions?

I hadn't noticed that. I noticed that I can't browse my sample directories in the sidebar though, which is beyond irritating.

Back of the Bus
Aug 15, 2004

Pimpin' ain't easy when yo ride's full of schoolchildren.

sofullofhate posted:

I hadn't noticed that. I noticed that I can't browse my sample directories in the sidebar though, which is beyond irritating.

There's something funky going on with the way 9 indexes files. My samples directory only shows half of the samples. On top of that, I'm lucky if I can start Ableton and ANY of the Core Library shows up. I opened a ticket, but no response yet. :cripes:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Back of the Bus posted:

There's something funky going on with the way 9 indexes files. My samples directory only shows half of the samples. On top of that, I'm lucky if I can start Ableton and ANY of the Core Library shows up. I opened a ticket, but no response yet. :cripes:

Good times. My library and samples are on a network drive, but my library seems fine.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I just used the MAX LFO to modulate the waveform in Operator. Yeah, I could've done this with envelopes, but that wouldn't validate my purchase.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Live 9 has been crashing like crazy when running VST's on my retina macbook pro

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

The M4L addition is really awesome. I'm actually using it way more than any of the new features....

For instance, now we have a loving GRAIN SYNTH. Basically one of Reason's top features (for me) is now free.

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2013/03/08/free-max-for-live-synth-granulator-ii/

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

magiccarpet posted:

The M4L addition is really awesome. I'm actually using it way more than any of the new features....

Just wanted to plug http://maxforlive.com/ for any new-to-M4L people who might not know about, it's a great library of M4L devices.

mister ginger
Jul 5, 2005
Anybody else having trouble getting Ableton 9 to recognize Sylenth or Vanguard?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

h_double posted:

My general attitude is that the important thing is for people to be able to express themselves, to have the tools to be creative, to share something and learn something. I also tend to think that the important thing is whatever gets peoples' heads nodding, whatever rocks a party and gets asses moving on the dancefloor. And that's all true to a point, but it's not the whole story.

Shortcuts like that chord trick, or a MIDI effect that maps everything to a scale, can be useful learning aid, but they're like training wheels. There's nothing wrong with training wheels, and maybe sometimes you've even thought of some novel experimental use for a bike that wouldn't be possible without them. But it's a mistake to think of them as a shortcut with no downside.

Your non-musical friends might not care "how music is", but good musicians sure as gently caress do, and if you want to step up your game and further yourself, you should have the honesty and humility to admit when and why you are taking shortcuts. You can't learn everything at once, and there is always more to learn, but you should have the ambition to fill in the gaps and not just leave well enough alone because it sounds "okay" -- you're cheating yourself out of a lot of potential sounds and technique that way.

All of this I agree with for whatever my endorsement's worth.

Compare the learning process to being locked into a shipping container. It's dark inside. Learning a trick is like punching a small hole in the wall; light falls in but doesn't illuminate the whole, and you can't see what's outside because the hole's so goddamn tiny. Learning another trick punches another small hole in a completely different wall of the container; still no more light, still no good view outside, and no way to connect one thing to another.

Don't learn tricks. Instead, learn principles; it takes longer but the holes are going to be much bigger. Find someone else to make music with who's at about the same skill level; you're going to help yourselves up much faster and your paths of discovery can diverge, and having someone there who can explain stuff to you (and you can explain stuff to them) works way better than any Youtube or forum video can.

As for the "okay" part: it's easy to get stuck there. Don't be satisfied with feedback like "aw, it's not so bad". You do not get to be an A student if you are satisfied with Cs.

Siets posted:

Do you mind if I just link my friends to this exact post when we talk about electronic music? I can't tell you how many times I've had "that" conversation with self-proclaimed "musical purists" who think classical instrumentation and music is the pinnacle of human achievement and that every electronic music producer is a no-talent hack because we rely on *hissssss* technology to make our sounds and music automatically at the push of a script for us!!!

The funny thing is that you have people who made electronic music back in the old days where you had to buy everything and it was hella pricey and they're grumpy at the kids with their downloaded Fruity Loops cranking out tracks in a few hours (and the mix is usually better as well as their first attempts) so you have people who already use a crutch (MIDI) but they try to feel smug and superior about it because for them it took more effort and back in the days through the snow uphill both ways etc. They really hate being called out on that but I guess that's what happens when you hit a certain age and have your lunch stolen by the next generation.

As for pinnacle - the problem with such an approach is basically that you tell everyone and yourself - "sorry, we've achieved top awesome 300 years ago" which then leads to "gently caress, why even bother trying". Sure - if counterpoint were an arcade machine, there's a good chance the first 10 highscore spots would be filled with some dude called JSB and instead of numbers you'd see lazy eights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idhHq1mn1XA

I mean, gently caress.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Does anyone have a pair of Ableton boxes running in tandem?

In the ole rehearsal space, its been a little frustrating to have one person at the controls during some noodling time. I'd love to sync a pair of laptops together, I'd assume one is the master and one is slaved to it. What would be EVEN cooler is having a shared project over the pair, but I believe thats more of OhmStudio thing, which I never found to be particularly good software.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
So, I've been delaying making this post because I kind of just wanted to forget about it for a while, since it was so aggravating, but I happened to mention it in the VST thread, and since it's really a Live issue, it makes more sense to whine about it here and see if anyone has input, tips, or similar war stories.

Back in early January, I "laptop DJ'd" my friend's wedding reception with Live. In the process, it crashed on me three times during the event. I was basically set up with a set full of MP3s and OGGs, triggering with Launchpad, and with a BCR3000 mapped to a three band EQ, master volume, track volume, and crossfade. I think it crashed each time due to getting hung up (for whatever reason) while reading in files that were being selected in the File Browser; that is, (I think) it sometimes decided to re-analyze files when I was selecting tracks from the File Browser to drop into clips, even though it had already analyzed each of them before. I'm willing to buy a plausible story about how I could have reduced the risk of this happening (e.g. I should have converted everything to WAV beforehand to avoid re-analyzing?).

Sound familiar and/or likely?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't ever had the software crash on me, but having Live index your songs on the fly has always been a bad idea from the get-go. Aside from the time you spend waiting for it to finish, it is a resource intensive process and it can also sometimes mess up the beat-matching. I always do a lot of preparation before I play by loading up 80~120 tracks into the session view, making sure they are all properly beat-matched, have working starting points, etc.

It's not very friendly this way for taking requests, but I usually tell requestors tough poo poo anyways. When you give a mouse a cookie, she'll ask for a glass of milk (and for you to play loving Drunk Girls for the third time that night because "we're soooo drunk right now and that is, like, totally my songggg!!!")

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

mnd posted:

I'm willing to buy a plausible story
You should've been willing to buy Traktor :v:

I mean, I can understand how people do it but I wouldn't want to unless I'd have everything chopped up in bits.

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

Light saber? Check. Black boots? Check. Codpiece? Check. He's more machine than kid now.
Not sure if anyone ordered a push from guitar center, but I did. Today they have a coupon code on their home page that is $100 off $499 and up and $200 off $999 and up. I called them up and they happily applied the coupon to my order without having to cancel and recreate the order (thereby possibly taking me out of line for availability). The refund will not be applied until after I receive the push.

I have never ordered from them, they seem pretty cool. The customer service guy said his name was "Spook".

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Did they happen to mention when orders start to ship?

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

Light saber? Check. Black boots? Check. Codpiece? Check. He's more machine than kid now.

magiccarpet posted:

Did they happen to mention when orders start to ship?

I ordered the plain jane Push, so he was referring to that specifically, I have no idea if the bundles are included in what he said.

He said the date they are scheduled to receive inventory in his system was 3/18, which was reflected on their website. On that day they should get in the inventory, and then it takes them up to 5 business days to sort it and stock it and stuff. Then a business day or two after that they will ship the order, which will arrive in 3 to 7 days. So he said I should receive it last week of March / first week of April realistically. I asked if he could upgrade my shipping but he could not do it without completely canceling the order, so I left it as is.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Righto, thanks for the heads up.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Begby posted:

I have never ordered from them, they seem pretty cool. The customer service guy said his name was "Spook".

I just spoke to Spook. He did the same for me. Thanks for the heads up :D

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Begby posted:

I ordered the plain jane Push, so he was referring to that specifically, I have no idea if the bundles are included in what he said.

He said the date they are scheduled to receive inventory in his system was 3/18, which was reflected on their website. On that day they should get in the inventory, and then it takes them up to 5 business days to sort it and stock it and stuff. Then a business day or two after that they will ship the order, which will arrive in 3 to 7 days. So he said I should receive it last week of March / first week of April realistically. I asked if he could upgrade my shipping but he could not do it without completely canceling the order, so I left it as is.

I guess I was crazy to expect amazon-like efficiency from them. Really wish I would have paid for faster shipping now.

If nothing else, I'm glad I have more reasonable expectations now.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Begby posted:

Not sure if anyone ordered a push from guitar center, but I did. Today they have a coupon code on their home page that is $100 off $499 and up and $200 off $999 and up. I called them up and they happily applied the coupon to my order without having to cancel and recreate the order (thereby possibly taking me out of line for availability). The refund will not be applied until after I receive the push.
Thanks for the heads up on that coupon. Just ordered Push with that deal this morning.

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP
I called up the local equivalent of Guitar Center and preordered there, should be 2 weeks, which means soon. Kind of got pissed when ableton bumped my expected date up as well, even though it happened I heard about it happening to other people. Now to get the original order cancelled.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

BTW its hilarious how Reason got updated 3 days ago and nobody is talking about it. They added MIDI out guys!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

I love how their promo picture shows a laptop running R7 sitting in front of a case full of euro modules and a 2600, neither of which the app can interface with.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Also they are running a cracked version of Reason because that poo poo requires a dongle. :warez:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

magiccarpet posted:

Also they are running a cracked version of Reason because that poo poo requires a dongle. :warez:

I thought they had a dongle-less per session activation thingy now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Has anyone heard if Live 9 is solving midi sync being, well, poo poo?