Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

jeffersonlives posted:

I'm not sure why you thought a casual chat over beers at a bar done up as a Buzzfeed webcast would include "hard questions."

I don't know. If I had 40 mins to talk to a US senator I'd ask her about Social Secuiry cuts as part of a grand bargain or filibuster reform or campaign finance reform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

mcmagic posted:

I don't know. If I had 40 mins to talk to a US senator I'd ask her about Social Secuiry cuts as part of a grand bargain or filibuster reform or campaign finance reform.

Her positions on all three can be found with trivial ease; she's a Reid supporter on filibuster reform, signed the PCCC pledge not to cut social security benefits, and was one of the first co-sponsors of DISCLOSE.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Well shoot, I'm liking her more already. The interview was kinda silly but made her sound good, not that that's very surprising considering it was a softball. Plus at 46, she could be in the hunt for the Presidency for a real long time.

Now if only she'd been drinking say, Yuengling instead of Bud (or a microbrew but baby steps).

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Zero_Grade posted:

Well shoot, I'm liking her more already. The interview was kinda silly but made her sound good, not that that's very surprising considering it was a softball. Plus at 46, she could be in the hunt for the Presidency for a real long time.

Now if only she'd been drinking say, Yuengling instead of Bud (or a microbrew but baby steps).

I think most politicians holding national office or those that have aspirations to do so (i.e. every senator) drink Bud since it's the most popular domestic beer even though it's loving horrible so they can appeal to the broadest audience.

Hell, Obama is guilty of this to and given the awesome micro brews that the Whitehorse is making I doubt he drinks that watered down redneck beer poo poo in private.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

A Winner is Jew posted:

I think most politicians holding national office or those that have aspirations to do so (i.e. every senator) drink Bud since it's the most popular domestic beer even though it's loving horrible so they can appeal to the broadest audience.

I don't know if Warren drinks but if she does and doesn't drink Sam Adams or Harpoon she's in for a hurtin'

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Rand Paul's filibuster at 9 hours plus. That poo poo really needs to get reformed.

http://israndpaulstilltalking.com/

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Volkerball posted:

Rand Paul's filibuster at 9 hours plus. That poo poo really needs to get reformed.

http://israndpaulstilltalking.com/

You know, he doesn't actually have to do that. Filibusters don't actually require someone to stand up there and talk or anything.

Despatcher
Nov 26, 2007
Generously Syndromed
Yeah I was goning to say that. I like the filibuster when someone has to make a stand and "do" it. By all means stand up there reading a cookbook on Provençal cuisine for two hours if you feel like it. It gives attention to an issue that the person feels strongly enough about. Ultimately you are going to stop talking and the things will be decided anyway.

This whole act of shouting "I'm filibustering" and then moonwalking away...-thing is really annoying and only serves to shut down government while allowing a party to avoid going on record voting against things. Its chickenshit.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
12 hour long filibuster. Wow.

I guess I can give ol' Rand credit for actually filibustering, even if he is bugfuck crazy and did it for all the wrong reasons.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

A Winner is Jew posted:

Hell, Obama is guilty of this to and given the awesome micro brews that the Whitehorse is making I doubt he drinks that watered down redneck beer poo poo in private.
Oh yeah, I'm totally aware. At least Yuengling (or Sam Adams) are pretty well known, made/owned in :911:, and way better than Bud. Hell I'd even accept Amber Bock.

On-topic: That real filibuster sure was interesting, and I agree with Alter Ego. Also Lindsay Graham got pissed at Paul, which is pretty funny.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Did anyone else catch John Thune toward the tail end of the filibuster last night? He was full of praise for the Senator from KY. He went so far as to liken him to that other filibustering Senator of iron principle, John C. Calhoun

quote:

But I take higher ground. I hold that in the present state of civilization, where two races of different origin, and distinguished by color, and other physical differences, as well as intellectual, are brought together, the relation now existing in the slaveholding States between the two, is, instead of an evil, a good--a positive good.

~The Handsomest Slaver~

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I think this is the first TV ad of the primary, a Tea Party PAC hitting Bob McDonnell over raising taxes in Virginia. They paid $4300 to run it in Iowa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nj7ZnRmBdo

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Reince Priebus is now talking about changing how the primary debates work because the Republicans are pissed off that MSNBC hosted some of the debates and then had Rachel Maddow trash them in commentary right after the event.

quote:

And I will tell you, number one, and for the people that aren’t happy about it, I’m more than happy to fix whatever it is that needs to be fixed, and we have the opportunity to do that. We have the chance on this issue of the debates, Hugh, for the first time in the history of our party, we can in between conventions, because we never, we couldn’t do this before without a national convention, we can amend the rules of our party to get a hold of the debate process, and actually write in and control the rules of the debates. So now we have the right to set the number of the debates, to pick the moderators of the debates, to set the ground rules for what groups and what networks and what stations, what radio networks, whatever it might be, Hugh, that are going to be the moderators of the debates. Before, when you and I talked two years ago, we were totally unable to control the debates, because listen, when you’ve got ten people that are running, and nine out of the ten raise their hand for whatever single debate is offered, you’ve got to debate. But now, we have the opportunity to actually help and pick and choose moderators, networks, and we can do some of those things that you and I talked about, and do it in a reasonable, intelligent way that gives our people, and the people that actually care about the future of our party, a seat at the table in making these decisions.

I think he's missing the point that the problem the party had with the 2012 debates had nothing to do with the networks or the moderators. I'm hopeful this won't mean fewer debates, and it probably won't. As Josh Putnam points out, they're going to try to enforce this by holding up delegates and it's not at all clear how that'll actually work.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
So the primaries are going to appeal even more to the extreme fringes of the right. Sounds like a solid plan.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Isn't that mostly about him having a big pissypants fight with Rachel Maddow? She really ridiculed the poo poo out of him beyond her usual level as I recall and made a special point out of doing entire long segments that were all basically, "This guy is an incompetent moron and should be shitcanned."

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Joementum posted:

Reince Priebus is now talking about changing how the primary debates work because the Republicans are pissed off that MSNBC hosted some of the debates and then had Rachel Maddow trash them in commentary right after the event.

I think he's missing the point that the problem the party had with the 2012 debates had nothing to do with the networks or the moderators. I'm hopeful this won't mean fewer debates, and it probably won't. As Josh Putnam points out, they're going to try to enforce this by holding up delegates and it's not at all clear how that'll actually work.

I don't think Reince Priebus realizes that real life is not like the Internet--you cannot just cloister a major party in one corner and hope no one notices. He's going to get a lot of poo poo.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ReindeerF posted:

Isn't that mostly about him having a big pissypants fight with Rachel Maddow? She really ridiculed the poo poo out of him beyond her usual level as I recall and made a special point out of doing entire long segments that were all basically, "This guy is an incompetent moron and should be shitcanned."

Not to mention 'Rrrrreince Priebus' with a big ol' trill on the R. While she couldn't specifically say 'so after they fired the black guy they hired a guy with the whitest name possible,' she basically said it sounds like something out of a yacht club.

But aside from that issue with his name she gives him the same 'is bad at his job' treatment she gives John Boehner. Which is true, they're both bad at their jobs and they both come off like alcoholics from time to time.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
For Reince that's probably a large part of the motivation here, but he's also getting a ton of pressure from the big "thinkers" in his party to conduct reforms to the process aimed at quelling intra-party dissent. This is an easy target for them because it's not exactly hard to get Republicans to believe that ~*~the liberal media~*~ is to blame for their electoral defeats.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

The Entire Universe posted:

Not to mention 'Rrrrreince Priebus' with a big ol' trill on the R. While she couldn't specifically say 'so after they fired the black guy they hired a guy with the whitest name possible,' she basically said it sounds like something out of a yacht club.
It really can't be mentioned enough that his name is Reince Priebus.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Joementum posted:

I wonder if this has caused any problems for campaigning yet, like a prominent candidate being forced to pretend that their biggest political achievement doesn't exist.

Hold on, Karl Rove is reporting that it hasn't.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Two things:

1. How does Priebus still have a job?

2. He wants to make the debates MORE boring and pointless?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Why have so many debates?
Do they generate money or is it just free ad time in swing states?

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Two things:

I wonder that myself. They got rid of Steele right after he did exactly what they asked him to do. This guy poo poo the bed by nearly every metric.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Why have so many debates?
Do they generate money or is it just free ad time in swing states?

They're cheap programming that gets a lot of eyeballs for cable news.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Arms_Akimbo posted:

I wonder that myself. They got rid of Steele right after he did exactly what they asked him to do. This guy poo poo the bed by nearly every metric.

This just reminds me that all things considered, the RNC is still probably less idiotic than the DNC was for getting rid of Dean.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Joementum posted:

They're cheap programming that gets a lot of eyeballs for cable news.
So it's a TV thing and not a party thing.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Given the GOP's relationship with :foxnews: I think it's one in the same at this point.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Right. The networks set them up and invite all the candidates. The candidates rarely turn it down because debates are free media exposure, which anyone who isn't in the lead wants, and the person who is in the lead would look bad if they were the only one absent. Though there were two debates in the 2012 Republican primary that the currently leading candidate refused to attend. Rick Perry skipped out on a web-streamed debate hosted by Jim DeMint using the excuse that he had to manage Texas' response to wildfires and Mitt Romney skipped a Frank Luntz hosted debate that was being put on by a big evangelical group.

The frontrunner and the party have an interest in keeping the number of debates small, but everyone else has exactly the opposite interest.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

FlamingLiberal posted:

Two things:

Priebus job has nothing to do with candidates, it's about money.

Prior to Priebus the RNC was in a load of debt and had fund raising scandal after scandal. They're now out of debt, scandal free, and raising money well. He's done a good job of his job. His job is not managing whatever program Rove or some random Billionare and their pet candidate are up to, and there's no way for him to do that.

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Joementum posted:

After the election even Republicans admitted that they live in a "Right-Wing Media Bubble". I never thought they would actually manage to do something against it, since it's just too profitable for a lot of people. But making the bubble even smaller? I love it :swoon:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Zero_Grade posted:

It really can't be mentioned enough that his name is Reince Priebus.

Was it Jon Stewart or maybe Colbert that said something along the lines of "Maybe his name is actually Ryan Peterson but he's never sober enough to pronounce it?"

e: http://www.mediaite.com/tv/jon-stewart-tears-apart-rnc-for-basing-entire-first-night-around-misquoting-obama/ Yep, starts about 2:30 in.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Mar 9, 2013

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Chris Christie to a room full of black people: "It's harder to hate up close."

He's talking about it being harder for them to hate him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BumQSPzr2K8

That Irish Gal
Jul 8, 2012

Your existence amounts to nothing more than a goldfish swimming upriver.

PS: We are all actually cats

Joementum posted:

For Reince that's probably a large part of the motivation here, but he's also getting a ton of pressure from the big "thinkers" in his party to conduct reforms to the process aimed at quelling intra-party dissent. This is an easy target for them because it's not exactly hard to get Republicans to believe that ~*~the liberal media~*~ is to blame for their electoral defeats.

This seems just so odd to me. For all the huff and puff over the GOP's ideas being the "right" way, do they not have even the basic faith in their own ideas that they could stand under scrutiny? If you believe so bloody hard that what you believe in is truth and, how do they put it... "Common Sense"? Then why not let your ideas stand on their own, for all the "non-believers" to learn and be converted to your drat holy light of insight?

But, then again, I suppose that the answer to that is the same as any question concerning the logic of the U.S. Right: "G.O.P.".

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Did he hike his pants up to his nipples because he lost a bet with someone?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

watt par posted:

He has two choices. He can go full Oliver Hardy and hike'em, or hang his gut over his belt and look like he works at Fry's.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

watt par posted:

The only way fat guys can keep their pants in the right place is to wear suspenders. Without suspenders the pants are either belted around the upper slope of the gut or belted really tightly around some point way below the gut. He must not like suspenders.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Edit: Come to think of it this is a 2014 comment, moving it there.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Cheekio posted:

Cory Brooker confirms via Reddit he's not running for President, well, at least I guess he confirms he's running for a Senate Seat first. With numerous spelling and grammar mistakes:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1ahk5u/i_am_cory_booker_mayor_of_newark_new_jersey_and/c8xgp1v

Nothing like drunkenly redditing to improve your chances at high office.

Doesn't beat the amazing round of drunk Scott Brown tweets. :colbert:

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Joementum posted:

I love how the dude with cornrows looks up when Christie says "his buddy the Republican."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Gen. Ripper posted:

Doesn't beat the amazing round of drunk Scott Brown tweets. :colbert:

Nor Anthony Weiner's for that matter.

Also, no RNC PR BS references yet?

• Locked thread