Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Something I'd like and cannot figure a good way to implement design-wise. All too often, I accidentally hit a thread in my bookmarks list while reading in the middle of a page in another thread (it's usually when I have to change my reading position because the cat has gotten in the way of my viewing), in this occasion, a general back button or "oops" gesture would be nice...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Ursine Asylum posted:

Alright, cool. Sorry for making GBS threads up the thread with old bugs :shobon: Is there an easy link to "current version known bugs" that can be filtered in github and thrown in the OP, perchance?

I oscillate between using github issues and forgetting about them for weeks. It's rare for someone to open an issue; usually people just post here. My hope was that an issue tracker would help other devs get involved, but that seems to happen (or not) regardless. Awful is a weird size of project where I can't decide if an issue tracker helps or hurts.

This is a long way of saying please bring up old bugs in the thread, that'll get them fixed fastest.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Kaizoku posted:

Something I'd like and cannot figure a good way to implement design-wise. All too often, I accidentally hit a thread in my bookmarks list while reading in the middle of a page in another thread (it's usually when I have to change my reading position because the cat has gotten in the way of my viewing), in this occasion, a general back button or "oops" gesture would be nice...

I will admit that I have no idea how to go about this in a sane way, but I will certainly add it to the list and think on it!

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Mar 5, 2013

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Would it be viable to mark each post "read" as you scroll by it, or would that cause too many back-and-forth requests to the site and your phone (or could it be saved internally, then use that internal variable to load the correct starting post within the thread)?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

kloa posted:

Would it be viable to mark each post "read" as you scroll by it, or would that cause too many back-and-forth requests to the site and your phone (or could it be saved internally, then use that internal variable to load the correct starting post within the thread)?

I don't want to save things internally that aren't available on the site itself, but I don't think we'd need to. Simply sending a "mark read to here" when leaving the thread might be doable.

I have a hunch this is the kind of feature that is easy to describe, but hard to do right. I'll add it to the list though!

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
1.11 tester reporting for duty!

When choosing a PM icon, the "post icon" text doesn't go away and gets squashed into the right hand side of the field/box.

Also, when opening the PM list from the bookmarks screen it defaults to Day Mode colors. A pull-to-refresh changes it to Night Mode, which is what I have mine set to. It also does this if you start a new PM and then cancel.

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Mar 5, 2013

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Both on the list!

For what it's worth the PM stuff as at most half done. It's enough to be kind of usable but there's still a ton of work to do.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

pokeyman posted:

Both on the list!

For what it's worth the PM stuff as at most half done. It's enough to be kind of usable but there's still a ton of work to do.

You're a beast! Post betas at 3:37 AM and replying to the thread at 7:58 AM!

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

pseudonordic posted:

You're a beast! Post betas at 3:37 AM and replying to the thread at 7:58 AM!

I've come to learn that 3:37 is on the early side for Pokeyman to be posting a beta. They usually come a little closer to 4.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Would it be possible in this case (first unread post being the last one on a page) to have the "next page" text be visible at the bottom without pulling up?

I realize the navigation bar suggests there's a new page but I admit I rarely look down there I end up going back to the bookmarks page and only then realizing the thread has another 3-4 posts in it.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Nit pick for 1.11 beta 1: would it be possible for there to be a "PM $username" option when tapping the ... section of a post? It'd be nice to be able to PM someone directly from a thread.

Just something to think about for later.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

FreshFeesh posted:

Would it be possible in this case (first unread post being the last one on a page) to have the "next page" text be visible at the bottom without pulling up?

Seconded!

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Thirded, I always forget to check if there's another page.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

pseudonordic posted:

Nit pick for 1.11 beta 1: would it be possible for there to be a "PM $username" option when tapping the ... section of a post? It'd be nice to be able to PM someone directly from a thread.

Just something to think about for later.

That would be nice and there would still be enough room for rap sheet.

EDIT: Then again it would make the pop up menu too busy.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Terminal Entropy posted:

EDIT: Then again it would make the pop up menu too busy.

We're actually looking/planning to separate "post actions" (quote, copy URL, Mark read to here) from "user actions" (view profile, PM, rap sheet) so this isn't a huge concern right now. I doubt that'll be ready for another couple releases (to be honest I'm the one holding a big part of it up), but we should have room to add a few more options eventually.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

How fixed were the spoilers fixed in the last update? Ran into one today that didn't work right
:nws:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3460168&perpage=40&pagenumber=411#post413145105

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Terminal Entropy posted:

How fixed were the spoilers fixed in the last update? Ran into one today that didn't work right
:nws:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3460168&perpage=40&pagenumber=411#post413145105

That is the first time I've seen a spoiler hide a whole image. :monocle:

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

pseudonordic posted:

That is the first time I've seen a spoiler hide a whole image. :monocle:

It has worked like that since the New Years redesign.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Terminal Entropy posted:

It has worked like that since the New Years redesign.

I'm a crusty old '03. All this new-fangled mumbo jumbo is just a fad! :argh:

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
I only use the light theme if the brightness is cranked up to 90-100% to avoid reflections in brightly lit rooms/sunlight and it would be super swell if Awful app did this automatically by detecting my brightness setting tia

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

feigning interest posted:

I only use the light theme if the brightness is cranked up to 90-100% to avoid reflections in brightly lit rooms/sunlight and it would be super swell if Awful app did this automatically by detecting my brightness setting tia

You're not War Chief! Why should he listen to you?

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back
I'm clearly missing something, how do I access my PMs? Sorry in advance for my stupidity.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
It's not in the latest released version, the discussion here is with people testing a new beta. Unless I'm mistaken!

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

POCKET CHOMP posted:

It's not in the latest released version, the discussion here is with people testing a new beta. Unless I'm mistaken!

Wow don't I look like a stooge ;(. I saw the discussion but didn't see the context. Thanks for letting me know!

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

CrushedWill posted:

Wow don't I look like a stooge ;(. I saw the discussion but didn't see the context. Thanks for letting me know!

Sorry, a handful of us are testing 1.11.0 beta #1 for pokeyman.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

pseudonordic posted:

Sorry, a handful of us are testing 1.11.0 beta #1 for pokeyman.

Nothing to be sorry about, you are all doing gods work.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Everything mentioned to here is on the list.

FreshFeesh posted:

I realize the navigation bar suggests there's a new page but I admit I rarely look down there I end up going back to the bookmarks page and only then realizing the thread has another 3-4 posts in it.

I do the same thing too. It's on the list!

pseudonordic posted:

It'll happen!

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is it possible to make the bbcode buttons at the top magnify when you touch them like the rest of the keyboard does?

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Has anyone else reported being unable to see what's behind spoiler tags in the current test flight version?
I can't see this!

I'm also no longer jailbroken. Something flipped the gently caress out on my iPad and I had to do a full wipe and restore in the ipad recovery mode.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
[quote=""Cryptic Edge"" post=""413255254""]
Has anyone else reported being unable to see what's behind spoiler tags in the current test flight version?
I can't see this!

I'm also no longer jailbroken. Something flipped the gently caress out on my iPad and I had to do a full wipe and restore in the ipad recovery mode.
[/quote]

Same here, can't unspoil spoilers. I assume it's part of the CSS changes for font sizes.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

^^^ Quotes are getting a bit messed up too.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Cryptic Edge posted:

I can't see this!

Testing 1.11.0-3 quote and it looks like apostrophes are still getting being interpreted into HTML ampersand code. The actual display of text is correct though.

Edit: in the reply box, I see this:

Re-edit: And I see that's what the forums does. Oops! Spot on, pokeyman!

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 9, 2013

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Thanks for such a rapid fix.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Cryptic Edge posted:

Thanks for such a rapid fix.

Well nobody's gonna test something that works that poorly, and rightfully so!

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
Can we get a setting to hide the sidebar when watching a video in full screen in the awful browser? I hope I'm explaining myself clearly, for instance if I click a YouTube link in a thread I can now full screen the video so it isn't cut off, but its still small because of the sidebar in landscape. I love having the sidebar up all the time except for in this situation.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

mike- posted:

Can we get a setting to hide the sidebar when watching a video in full screen in the awful browser? I hope I'm explaining myself clearly, for instance if I click a YouTube link in a thread I can now full screen the video so it isn't cut off, but its still small because of the sidebar in landscape. I love having the sidebar up all the time except for in this situation.

Can you link me to a post that does this? I've been looking for one so I can fix this very thing.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21

pokeyman posted:

Can you link me to a post that does this? I've been looking for one so I can fix this very thing.

I'm on my ipad so it's a little difficult to link but Its any post that has a YouTube link. You can easily find one in pyf im sure. If I use the link to watch the video, then try to full screen the video it will maximize it to the area of where the posts normally are. I think it would be ideal to remove the sidebar in this situation and use the entire screen for video. I think I may have been a little unclear in my first post.

Edit: didn't realize we had a copy URL function, just saw that. Here's a link. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3536186&perpage=40&pagenumber=26#post413283514

mike- fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Mar 10, 2013

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Using the current AppStore version on both an iPad 2 and iPhone 5:

I'm not sure what the conditions are for this happening exactly are, but it seems easiest to produce in ask/tell, although its working other places too. It seems there's some sort of off by 1 error going on with bringing in the new thread list while loading a page and its possible to lose a thread or drag down a thread in the list like so:

Forum on first page display

Thread 1
Thread 2
Thread 19
Thread 20

After dragging far enough down to load the next page, it will become this

Thread 19
Thread 21
Thread 39
Thread 20

I think I've managed to bring thread 20 down to be hypothetical spot 80 so far before it vanishes or stays in place and loads 20 more below it. Occasionally it'll just straight up vanish, I'm guessing because a thread was bumped in between page loads.

So far I've been able to reproduce it on both devices in ask/tell, got a vanish on i5 in IYG and more thread movement on ipad2 in games and IYG just by screwing around in the last 5 minutes or so.

God, I hope that makes sense. I'm not sure why I'm awake at this hour:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I just got one where the bookmarked thread list refreshed, I tapped a thread, and got a different thread. Once the page loaded, the thread I had tapped on changed to the new thread, while also appearing below it. Seems like they switched target urls without updating the displayed text/icon.

Snapped a screenshot, helpfulness debatable:

I tapped on the poo poo that pisses you off thread in shsc and it sent me to the bodybuilding thread. When the thread list updated again, the stpyo thread was where that second instance of the swole thread appears in the pic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Javid posted:

I just got one where the bookmarked thread list refreshed, I tapped a thread, and got a different thread. Once the page loaded, the thread I had tapped on changed to the new thread, while also appearing below it. Seems like they switched target urls without updating the displayed text/icon.

Snapped a screenshot, helpfulness debatable:

I tapped on the poo poo that pisses you off thread in shsc and it sent me to the bodybuilding thread. When the thread list updated again, the stpyo thread was where that second instance of the swole thread appears in the pic.

I've seen this goofiness pop up too, very very occasionally. I'ma try fixing it for the next version!

• Locked thread