Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Your 3200 can't use its popup as a CLS commander.

If you buy a flash now you will have to put it in SBU-4 (or whatever the optical slave mode is called) + either manually set the power (maybe it has thyristor auto, I dunno), and put your popup on manual power to avoid TTL preflashes that would trigger the remote.

If you want TTL on a remote sb700, you need either expensive TTL radios or a commander-capable unit. This can be the popup if the body supports it (d3200 does not, unfortunately), or a unit connected to your hot shoe.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Mar 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
If you don't mind learning how to set flashes manually, then I recommend a cheap flash unit and some cheap eBay radio triggers. Also go read the strobist 101 article. The strobist DVDs are an excellent investment too.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!
I would get 1 nice all the bangs and whistles iTTL flash to start out, as this is always a good investment. You can always do non-TTL slave with it and your pop up on camera flash. Then if you want to play around some more, get a cheaper flash and a set of ebay triggers.

This setup will allow you experiment plenty, and figure out what kind of gear you want next. (Studio strobes? Cheap flashes and triggers all around? A couple nice $$$ iTTL flashes for run and gun convience?)

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Eh, I'd say the opposite if you're just experimenting and don't know what you want. Why drop $300 on an SB700 when you can get a decent yongnuo for, what, $80? If you DO decide you're into the strobes enough to want an SB700 or 910 or whatever, the Yongnuo will still be useful. On the other hand, if you decide you want something else, like studio strobes or just manual battery flashes, you'll have saved $220. It just seems weird to test the waters with one of the more expensive options available.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Thanks for the responses. All the bangs and whistles in an Sb700 would work if I'm just using it as the onboard flash on my 3200 correct?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yes, and you can use it as a CLS commander for other Nikon flashes.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah everything would work.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
Pros and cons of softbox vs. umbrella?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Less leakage, better directionality, better uniformity, can be harder/longer to setup, doesn't fold as small, generally more $.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

evil_bunnY posted:

Less leakage, better directionality, better uniformity, can be harder/longer to setup, doesn't fold as small, generally more $.

- cannot be used to float to safety if falling from great heights

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I want a 35 really bad. I'm used to daily-carrying a 50/1.8, and really don't feel like going up to a 1,5 pound lens. In addition I require modern features like auto aperture (!) and AF (!!!).

Any of you use a 35/2D on a modern FX camera?

SoundMonkey posted:

- cannot be used to float to safety if falling from great heights
As usual I forgot the crucial aspect of whatever I'm shitposting about.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

evil_bunnY posted:

I want a 35 really bad. I'm used to daily-carrying a 50/1.8, and really don't feel like going up to a 1,5 pound lens. In addition I require modern features like auto aperture (!) and AF (!!!).

As usual I forgot the crucial aspect of whatever I'm shitposting about.

Yup, its pretty sharp and light. I have a D600 so weight isn't as much of an issue, but it's still very easy to walk around with.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ok gently caress it I just put a bid on one

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I just got 1,580 shots in 2 hours and my battery still has three bars :stare:

RAW from a D5200 too so that's a good 40GB or so worth of data.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

evil_bunnY posted:

It's one of my favorite lenses on the D800. Manual focus on any of the screw drive lenses is sucky, but for everything else it's pretty swell. Especially since you can get them for sortof cheap used.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
So I bought an SB-700 from a local retailer today. Every time I turn it on it sort of makes a grinding sound and the Zoom says "ERR" on the LCD.

I'm assuming this is not normal? The camera store should accept the return, correct?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

beergod posted:

So I bought an SB-700 from a local retailer today. Every time I turn it on it sort of makes a grinding sound and the Zoom says "ERR" on the LCD.

I'm assuming this is not normal? The camera store should accept the return, correct?

Yes, it's completely hosed, return it.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

beergod posted:

It's trying to say "ZOOM ERRDAY" but the Lcd is too small. Nikon design defect.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Zoom head is probably damaged. Exchange it!

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
They swapped it out, no questions asked (Sammy's Camera). One of the benefits to buying locally, I suppose.

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006

powderific posted:

It's one of my favorite lenses on the D800. Manual focus on any of the screw drive lenses is sucky, but for everything else it's pretty swell. Especially since you can get them for sortof cheap used.

I use it all the time, mostly for landscapes, f/2 is pretty poor, but f/8 and above is really good.

London Bridge Hospital by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

dirt cheap tough, cant go wrong!

Krelas
May 14, 2007

Be there none left on Earth but you,
one thing will still remain true...

Coolpix A announced, it's basically Nikon's try at a Fuji X100. Compact body, APS-C size sensor, fixed 18.5mm f2.8 lens.
http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/coolpix/a/a/index.htm

I'm keen to see how it stacks up against the other cameras in this range.

Also the video released for it feels like it was made in the 90s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8dVE9gu96A

Krelas fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Mar 5, 2013

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Would have been nicer with a 20-22/2 but I'm curious about the general usability. At least there's nothing glaringly wrong with the specs 8)

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.

Krelas posted:

Also the video released for it feels like it was made in the 90s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8dVE9gu96A
This video made my eyes roll out of my head, across the globe and back. My favorite part was when the guy was lying on the floor on his back. Real photography.

The camera does look interesting, despite the 2.8 prime they stuck on there. I would have expected something faster, but I guess IQ results will be the big difference.

Wolf on Air
Dec 31, 2004

Combat Instructor
Armed Forces, Time-Space Administration Bureau
Hello thread, I got a 135/2 AI-S, and since this is a telephoto, in recognition of that here's one of the neighbours' cats:

f/2, 3 meters or so

This lens has The Rendering. I can't say what it is, but it has it.

f/8, 10 meters or so

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
Man do I love my SB-700. It is just a beautiful piece of tech. The off camera (in manual) and on camera TTL both work fantastically. I just love the thing.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
e: nm, i should keep more up to date

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I did a brief but simple comparison of three lenses on the D800e: the Nikon 20mm f/4 Ai, Nikon 14-24 f/2.8 AF-S, and Zeiss 21mm.

Spoiler alert: Zeiss crushes it. But anyway: http://bryancookphoto.com/d800elens/

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Has anyone had any experience with getting a refurbished D600? I'm mostly wondering about the dust/oil/whatever issue on the sensor. I was thinking of spending upwards of $1200 on a body (i.e. the D7100), but, for just $400 more, I could grab a refurb and go full-frame.

Miko
May 20, 2001

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Zeiss crushes it.
Rename Dorkroom to this plz.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
I ran a forum search but didn't see any mention of this, but does anyone have any purchasing experience or secondhand knowledge of mellodigital.com? I'm looking to pick up my first real flash for my D7000, and their prices seem to be substantially better than anything else I'm seeing online, to the point that it seems mildly suspicious: http://www.mellodigital.com/productdetail.asp?productid=4591

But, of course, if I could not pay $300+ for an SB-700, that would be great.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Brosnan posted:

I ran a forum search but didn't see any mention of this, but does anyone have any purchasing experience or secondhand knowledge of mellodigital.com? I'm looking to pick up my first real flash for my D7000, and their prices seem to be substantially better than anything else I'm seeing online, to the point that it seems mildly suspicious: http://www.mellodigital.com/productdetail.asp?productid=4591

But, of course, if I could not pay $300+ for an SB-700, that would be great.

5 seconds of googling tells me that they're a shady site known for bait and switch sells or railroading customers into buying accessories. If you don't want to pay 300+ buy a used SB-700 or just buy a yongnuo and shoot manual.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I bought a new piece of equipment for the first time in ten years this week. keh.com, bitch

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Where'd you get your d800?

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Despair posted:

5 seconds of googling tells me that they're a shady site known for bait and switch sells or railroading customers into buying accessories. If you don't want to pay 300+ buy a used SB-700 or just buy a yongnuo and shoot manual.

Fair enough. I've been poking around on eBay a bit as well, so I'll probably just stick to that route.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Brosnan posted:

Fair enough. I've been poking around on eBay a bit as well, so I'll probably just stick to that route.

here ya go

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

evil_bunnY posted:

Where'd you get your d800?
KEH

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Someone emailed me about my F3 that I have on Craigslist (until the 16th, anyways, when I can list it on SA). I have it up for $450.

CL Lady posted:

Thanks for your text actually i want to purchase the item to my Cousin schooling in west Africa as a birthday gift i will offer you $550 plus the shipping cost and i will be very happy if you can help me with the shipping so kindly get back to me with your PayPal email address so i can transfer the money

I posted:

I cannot ship intenationally, however if you want to meet up with me I can give it to you to ship yourself!

CL Lady posted:

I understand how you feel i promise if you can help me i will pay for the shipping including the item fees and any order charges and that is why i said we should use paypal for the payment cos paypal is save and secure for both sellers and buyers online fastest way to pay and 100%fraud free for more info log on to https://www.paypal.com please i'm really interested in this item i will not afford to lose it please help

This is a scam right? She'll challenge the $550+shipping charge and since Paypal always sides with the purchaser they'd refund her the money

Miko
May 20, 2001

The best way to tell if its a scam is if they like using run-on sentences like a crazy person.

But yeah, the +$100 on the asking price is a dead giveaway.

I like to toy with them sometimes: 'Sorry, I will only accept $450.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Miko posted:

The best way to tell if its a scam is if they like using run-on sentences like a crazy person.

But yeah, the +$100 on the asking price is a dead giveaway.

I like to toy with them sometimes: 'Sorry, I will only accept $450.'

That's what I was thinking too, plus I'd reckon the shipping address is in Nigeria :v:.

Bugger all though, I thought I may finally be rid of it and pay some bills :shobon: