Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coach Sport
Jul 3, 2003
And we care about this shitty poster...why?
I haven't read Start of Darkness, but Xykon seems like kind of a crummy villian compared to guys like Malack and Redcloak. He just seems like a dick conquering the world and being evil just for the sake of being evil and conquering the world. His relationship with Redcloak is cool, but I'm hoping Redcloak takes him out and takes over primary antagonist duty at some point. It seems more likely that Xykon will end up killing Redcloak though, just because deals with the metaphorical devil for the greater good are rarely a thing that works out in fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Coach Sport posted:

I haven't read Start of Darkness, but

Stop right there and go read Start of Darkness.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Speaking of Start of Darkness, I just finished rereading it last night, and this morning I had an epiphany about how Malack's been disguising his voice to hide his undead nature.

SoD spoilers: Immediately after his transformation, Xykon notices his voice has changed and asks Redcloak what the deal is. Redcloak responds that because Xykon is a lich and doesn't "have a trachea or a larynx, much less lungs to expel air through them," that his voice is created magically by the negative energy powering him.

But Malack is a vampire, not a lich. So he still has all those fleshy bits that Xykon now lacks. And even though he doesn't need to use them anymore, that doesn't mean he can't use them. So when he's talking with the normal white bubbles with black text, he's drawing air into his body and expeling it to talk just like a living person would; when he switches to the black boxes with white text, he's forgoing that and using the negative energy-created voice. :eng101:

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

I don't think either of those count as spoilers.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Well, the first one is quoting and talking about an actual scene from the book.

And the second one is a hypothesis based off of what was talked about in the first one.

Plus goons tend to be weird about what does and doesn't constitute a spoiler, so I figured better safe than sorry.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Just out of curiosity is there anything stopping an undead from polymorphing itself into a living creature?

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1
Yes, the law of conservation of life. It says that 1/2(L^2)+1/2(D^2)+1/2(F^2) remains constant, where L is the amount of living mass, D is the amount of diamond dust and F is the amount of authorial fiat desperately trying to retain a modicum of conflict and suspense in a world where anything is possible if you have the right spell for it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Triple Elation posted:

Yes, the law of conservation of life. It says that 1/2(L^2)+1/2(D^2)+1/2(F^2) remains constant, where L is the amount of living mass, D is the amount of diamond dust and F is the amount of authorial fiat desperately trying to retain a modicum of conflict and suspense in a world where anything is possible if you have the right spell for it.

Good show. It's rare I want to rate individual posts, but this is one of those times.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I cast polymorph object on the constant

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Pope Guilty posted:

Stop right there and go read Start of Darkness.

That's an entirely reasonable criticism, though. He seems like a crummy villain in the comic because he has not gotten fleshed out at all compared to the other villains. It still works since Xykon's the villain to the villains so is set at a further distance and doesn't need to be as well characterized, but that doesn't mean the comic gets a pass on it because of a supplemental in an entirely different medium.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

greatn posted:

Just out of curiosity is there anything stopping an undead from polymorphing itself into a living creature?
Alter self doesn't change your type or subtype, so you'd still be undead.

Polymorph does, but must target a willing living creature, so nope.

Shapechange finally does work but it's 9th level.

It lasts 10 minute/level, though, so yeah, by means of a power that very few mortals can comprehend let alone achieve (and 1500GP per casting) you are able to dodge your cursed fate for approx. three hours a day. Congratulations.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

NihilCredo posted:

Alter self doesn't change your type or subtype, so you'd still be undead.

Polymorph does, but must target a willing living creature, so nope.

Shapechange finally does work but it's 9th level.

It lasts 10 minute/level, though, so yeah, by means of a power that very few mortals can comprehend let alone achieve (and 1500GP per casting) you are able to dodge your cursed fate for approx. three hours a day. Congratulations.

If Shapechange changes your type from undead, couldn't you subsequently be Polymorphed? Or does that not work for some reason?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

UberJew posted:

That's an entirely reasonable criticism, though. He seems like a crummy villain in the comic because he has not gotten fleshed out at all compared to the other villains. It still works since Xykon's the villain to the villains so is set at a further distance and doesn't need to be as well characterized, but that doesn't mean the comic gets a pass on it because of a supplemental in an entirely different medium.

Xykon's backstory isn't explained in the comic, but his motivations are. From the comic alone, we know what he wants (world domination), what he's sacrificed to get it (his humanity), and how he plans on doing it (using his power to control the snarl).

We know that he considers Power to be the ultimate weapon in sufficient quantities (evil monologue while fighting V), but we know that he knows how to use his power intelligently (again, vs V, when he used his bonuses to listen to find V, who was invisible). We also know that he's cunning enough to use that power in unexpected ways (bouncy ball vs Sapphire Guard).

While Start of Darkness is great, and it's really good to get a direct view into Xykon in a condensed package, we can't say that we haven't seen the same things in the comic itself.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

ConfusedUs posted:

Xykon's backstory isn't explained in the comic, but his motivations are. From the comic alone, we know what he wants (world domination), what he's sacrificed to get it (his humanity), and how he plans on doing it (using his power to control the snarl).

We know that he considers Power to be the ultimate weapon in sufficient quantities (evil monologue while fighting V), but we know that he knows how to use his power intelligently (again, vs V, when he used his bonuses to listen to find V, who was invisible). We also know that he's cunning enough to use that power in unexpected ways (bouncy ball vs Sapphire Guard).

While Start of Darkness is great, and it's really good to get a direct view into Xykon in a condensed package, we can't say that we haven't seen the same things in the comic itself.

That's why I said it works fine in the comic. He doesn't need to be the subject of as much character focus as the other villains and it definitely defines him well enough for the needs of the story in the comic itself.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Niton posted:

If Shapechange changes your type from undead, couldn't you subsequently be Polymorphed? Or does that not work for some reason?

You could be polymorphed, but the polymorph would only last as long as your type remain not-undead, so it would expire along with the shapechange spell and your own brief new life.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
A baleful polymorph looks like it might work, then you could subsequently be regular polymorphed.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

greatn posted:

A baleful polymorph looks like it might work, then you could subsequently be regular polymorphed.
Requires a Fort save, so undead are immune.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

You can't use Permanancy on a Shapechange, can you? How about on Polymorph?

What if you were originally a creature with a natural polymorph ability (do Pixies still have that?) and you get turned into some form of undead? Do you lose the spell-like ability because you are no longer a valid target for the spell, or would you retain it? And if you do, can you use that to polymorph into not-undead things?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Ashcans posted:

You can't use Permanancy on a Shapechange, can you? How about on Polymorph?

Permanency has a limited list of spells to which it applies, and neither are on it.

(There is the Persistent Spell feat, but (a) you'd need a 15th level slot to cast a Persistent shapechange, ie. basically be a god already (b) it's a dumb feat that few smart DMs allow (c) as fun as munchkining this stuff is, it's probably better if we stick to core rules for the sake of everybody's sanity.)

quote:

What if you were originally a creature with a natural polymorph ability (do Pixies still have that?) and you get turned into some form of undead? Do you lose the spell-like ability because you are no longer a valid target for the spell, or would you retain it? And if you do, can you use that to polymorph into not-undead things?
The Change Shape special ability keeps your type and subtypes, same as alter self. So you'd still be undead.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah, don't need every hypothetical, I was just curious. The idea of an undead going living for a few hours and getting kind of a "high" off of life seemed like it might be interesting.

But anyone who turned themselves into a Lich probably just wouldn't give a gently caress about having flesh and blood anyway. Durkon's lucky, he gets the best of both worlds. At least by vampire lore I know, the vamp feels more alive and gets a nice Rosy complexion after feeding. Xykon is stuck as a lame skellington. Best he can do is put a snake in his eyes and join a motorcycle gang, or maybe tie dye himself and go party on dia de Los Muertos.

greatn fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 8, 2013

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

greatn posted:

]
But anyone who turned themselves into a Lich probably just wouldn't give a gently caress about having flesh and blood anyway. Durkon's lucky, he gets the best of both worlds.

Xykon (start of darkness) was really pissed when he found out he couldn't taste or smell anymore

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

ConfusedUs posted:

Xykon (start of darkness) was really pissed when he found out he couldn't taste or smell anymore

Dominate let's you experience whatever is happening to the subject right? He should mass dominate and pig out, go hog wild.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

greatn posted:

tie dye himself and go party on dia de Los Muertos.

Oh, if Xykon were to do that, it would be the BEST THING

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

greatn posted:

Dominate let's you experience whatever is happening to the subject right? He should mass dominate and pig out, go hog wild.

What an interesting idea. An undead villain keeping dominated thralls around specifically for the purpose of having them experience the luxuries his body no longer supports.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

oobey posted:

What an interesting idea. An undead villain keeping dominated thralls around specifically for the purpose of having them experience the luxuries his body no longer supports.

While tie dyed.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

greatn posted:

This is a pretty interesting concept actually. I remember seeing similar ideas in other works, but has it been done in D&D?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

oobey posted:

That would actually make for a pretty great plot hook. You can pull the string right from "that's weird, Bill never had much of a taste for ale but he's been down at the tavern drinking it non-stop for the last eight hours" right to "Qwergyz, the all-powerful lich, will not be stopped by puny mortals such as you!"

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

greatn posted:

Not exactly. Dominate lets you know what the subject is experiencing, but it does not give direct sensory input. A lich would know "my minion is enjoying a meal" but not let the lich experience the flavor of that steak.

What the lich wants is Magic Jar, which puts his essence into the body of another being. For most liches, this is not a problem because Magic Jar is required for the creation of a phylactery. Xykon, however, is most likely screwed in that regard.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

There's a psychic character called Mindfuck in Adam Warren's Empowered comic series that taps into other people's senses to experience things like taste, since she doesn't have a tongue. So not DnD, but in case it's bugging anybody else where they might've heard of something like that before.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

It's an old staple of ghost stories that the reason the "possessed" often commit uncontrollably lewd acts (stripping naked, shouting obscenities, masturbating in public) is that the damned souls crave the pleasures of the flesh above anything else. I think it may be based on actual Victorian spiritist beliefs, in fact.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Well, looks like I've got another viable defence for my indecent exposure case.

I probably missed it coming up in this thread, but has anyone made the possible connection between Durkon returning to his homeland as a vampire and the prophecy? 'Cause that seems like quite the possibility.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Well, looks like I've got another viable defence for my indecent exposure case.

I probably missed it coming up in this thread, but has anyone made the possible connection between Durkon returning to his homeland as a vampire and the prophecy? 'Cause that seems like quite the possibility.

At least once per page ever since it was revealed that Malack's a vampire.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010
Guys, I think Durkon returning home as a vampire might just be what fulfills the prophecy...

By the way, what's this about the previous gate-keepers being trapped in a gem, and where in the comic has this gem been seen?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

TheAceOfLungs posted:

Guys, I think Durkon returning home as a vampire might just be what fulfills the prophecy...

By the way, what's this about the previous gate-keepers being trapped in a gem, and where in the comic has this gem been seen?

Not in the comic, in Start of Darkness. We've been rambling on about it lately, you may have noticed.

e: unless that line is also a joke and I'm dumb.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Start of Darkness spoilers: Xykon imprisons Lirien's soul in a gem when he takes her Gate, because she's a druid and he figures that being removed from the natural cycle of life and death is the best way to piss her off. He uses Lirien's entrapped soul to taunt Dorukan into a fight, and when he wins that fight he sticks Dorukan in the same gem, figuring the torture will be even worse if they both have to see the other one like that. It backfires; now they're together, so they're both fine with it. Xykon is still presumably carrying the gem around.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

Start of Darkness spoilers

Does that still persist even though Xykon had to regenerate his body after Roy threw him into the gate? I wonder if he'd regenerate any extra items on his person (or even a new robe, for that matter).

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

TunaSpleen posted:

Does that still persist even though Xykon had to regenerate his body after Roy threw him into the gate? I wonder if he'd regenerate any extra items on his person (or even a new robe, for that matter).

It doesn't make much sense to regenerate clothing, but he had a robe while Redcloak was hauling him around. Neither the gem nor the contents have been mentioned, but I'm going to assume Redcloak acquired both it and Xykon's robe in the post-detonation confusion.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Ursine Asylum posted:

It doesn't make much sense to regenerate clothing

Didn't Durkon heal Elan's cloak once?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Pope Guilty posted:

Didn't Durkon heal Elan's cloak once?

In like one of the first 20 comics, yeah. Also Belkar's dagger magically shrunk because they moved to the 3.5 ruleset and they had 3 or 4 jokes played "straight" about missing listen/spot checks on ninja hordes and 20 foot tall chimeras.

It does make me wonder if Rich is ever going to retcon that first dungeon adventure, given that it's "unserious gag a day D&D jokes" bracketed on both sides with "serious drama with occasional pokes at D&D rulesets".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Ursine Asylum posted:

It does make me wonder if Rich is ever going to retcon that first dungeon adventure, given that it's "unserious gag a day D&D jokes" bracketed on both sides with "serious drama with occasional pokes at D&D rulesets".
Apparently the book version replaces the first few comics with appropriate things rather than obscure version jokes? One of the many reasons I'm eternally pissed off he won't sell digitally. I WANT THOSE STRIPS.