Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I attempted making this recipe (White Russian ice cream), where the whole point is to have ice cream that has an alcoholic content like a cocktail would, but I hosed up the final step, which is blooming gelatin and adding it to get the ice cream to freeze in the machine, and what happened is I mixed everything together, put it in the ice cream machine, and it wouldn't freeze up, so what I have right now is a thin mixture of custard, booze, and worthless gelatin. Is there any way I can save this? I put the machine back in the freezer, and the custard? in the fridge, and what I'm thinking is just working the gelatin in like you would use it normally, mixing it with just a little more of the vodka before I mix it in. Is this gonna work? I don't want to waste much more of the booze.

Alternately, can anyone else think of a use for whatever the gently caress this is? Some sort of weird, boozy, coffee-flavored bastardized creme anglaise?

edit:

Mix and scald
• 1/2 cup milk
• 2 1/2 cups heavy cream
• 1/2 cup sugar

Beat
• 4 egg yolks

Temper egg yolks, then add back to cream mixture until thickened, then put in fridge to get cold.

Here is where I hosed up, I just added the gelatin to the water and blasted it on high heat, which in retrospect was supremely dumb:
• 1 packet (1 tablespoon) gelatin
• 1/4 cup cold water

Then you move to a different bowl and add:
• 2/3 cup cold (refrigerated) vodka
• 2/3 cup cold (refrigerated) Kahlúa
(I also forgot that these were supposed to be cold, so they were just at room temp)

Mix the booze and gelatin together well, then add to the custard, which goes into the ice cream machine and, theoretically, freezes.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Electric Hobo posted:

My girlfriend just got diagnosed with coeliac disease, so I need a recipe for something that can pass for bread. Can anyone recommend a cookbook, specifically one about baking, or just a good recipe?

Here, just make up a big batch of this stuff:

http://blog.ideasinfood.com/ideas_in_food/2012/02/what-iif-flour.html

It works really well in stuff that doesn't require a bunch of gluten (obv) - i.e., loaves of bread are probably not the best thing to try for. works great for little appetizers, pastry things, cakes, cookies, pasta, etc.

You could definitely make a cornbread with it. I'm not sure what exactly you and your gf are looking for, but by and large "traditional bread" clones, made gluten-free, are completely terrible. I really recommend just trying to replace the role of regular bread slices with something else.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm looking for a good bolognese recipe, the kind where you're cooking a pork shoulder for hours. All the stuff I looked up was ground meat but I swear pork shoulder bolognese is a thing.

Haven't heard of that. The "official" recipe from the Italian Academy of Cuisine calls for ground skirt, IIRC. I am pretty sure pork is not at all authentic.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Yoshifan823 posted:

I attempted making this recipe (White Russian ice cream)*snip*

You should be able to get the gelatin to dissolve by heating the whole mix back up again over a double boiler. Cool it down in an ice bath and then spin in the ice cream machine.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

At the beginning of the year I decided to start adding meat into my diet again after having been a vegetarian for 11 years. In the past two years I've discovered that I really love Thai and Sichuan food, and I feel like I've been limiting myself a lot by refusing meat in all cases. I'm still eating mostly vegetarian, as ethically sourced meat is costlier and I don't feel the need to eat much meat anyway, but I would like to eat more fish.

Please, give me your easiest recipes for fish. I became a vegetarian pretty early, and my mom was a terrible cook anyway, so I never learned how to cook any meat. I just need some easy things to start me off and gain a little confidence. I live in Michigan so I have access to a lot of freshwater fish especially. There's also a local guy who farms shrimp, so recipes with them would also be appreciated.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Pope Mobile posted:

I am making a cheese fondue (gruyere, fontina, emmentaler) with a sav blanc for dinner. What are some good items to dip? I've got broccoli and chicken (to be cooked in the same type of wine) so far. E: I also have bread.

If it's not too late to help you

Bell pepper slices
Raw onion
Apple Slices
Maybe some decent deli ham
Hot Dogs if you're going a little more low brow

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

If it's not too late to help you

Bell pepper slices
Raw onion
Apple Slices
Maybe some decent deli ham
Hot Dogs if you're going a little more low brow

This is genuinely a little bit terrifying to me. Cheese fondue with raw onion? deli ham? What? :) I don't judge anyone (much) and if that's what you enjoy in your fondue more power to you, however:

Pope Mobile, your cheese mix looks good though I'd personally have half gruyere half vacherin fribourgeois (which real Fontina is close enough to, I think, so that's good). That's the traditional Moitié-Moitié from our region. For things to dip in I'd limit myself to good bread and maybe new potatoes. I could see some lightly boiled or steamed cauliflower too but bread and/or potato are definitely the traditional options. To cut the fat a bit it's usual to have a bit of picked onion or cucumber as well. A nice thing to have on the side or as starter is any kind of dried beef such as bresaola (we use air dried beef you can get anywhere in switzerland).

Serve with white wine or black tea. Nothing cold unless it has a decent amount of alcohol (wine or higher) since otherwise you risk pretty bad indigestion. It's also nice to have some kirschwasser for a 'coup du milieu' :) Also put some in the cheese. Plenty of black pepper and garlic too.

NLJP fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 9, 2013

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

taqueso posted:

Haven't heard of that. The "official" recipe from the Italian Academy of Cuisine calls for ground skirt, IIRC. I am pretty sure pork is not at all authentic.

drat. Beef is way too expensive here, I was hoping to do something with pork.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Tried again tonight with a pizza, I figured since on average I've been cooking them for ~12 minutes, this time I'll go for 15. And uh..:nms:

And the worst part? It still loses its crisp past the edges :negative: I guess its actually a good thing since I can eat this, just not the edges. Next attempt I'm going to try precooking just the dough by itself for a few minutes then adding the toppings.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Grand Fromage posted:

drat. Beef is way too expensive here, I was hoping to do something with pork.

I'm sure a pork bolognese would be plenty tasty, go for it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

taqueso posted:

I'm sure a pork bolognese would be plenty tasty, go for it.

How do you do it properly? I usually just make a basic sauce and add whatever to it later. My prior experience with meat sauces was browning some hamburger and mixing it in, which I know is wrong. I want the real thing and don't know enough to decide which internet recipe is real.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Leal posted:

Tried again tonight with a pizza, I figured since on average I've been cooking them for ~12 minutes, this time I'll go for 15. And uh..:nms:

And the worst part? It still loses its crisp past the edges :negative: I guess its actually a good thing since I can eat this, just not the edges. Next attempt I'm going to try precooking just the dough by itself for a few minutes then adding the toppings.

I always precook my dough if I'm cooking in my home oven. How hot do you have it set to? And how thin are you rolling out your dough?

If you do this right, the precook phase should be about 45 seconds, and the cook phase should be somewhere around 5-7 minutes.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

How do you do it properly? I usually just make a basic sauce and add whatever to it later. My prior experience with meat sauces was browning some hamburger and mixing it in, which I know is wrong. I want the real thing and don't know enough to decide which internet recipe is real.

There's variations but here's a good, simple one, serves six but lasts well in the fridge:

Finely chopped carrot, celery and onion. (one or two of each and I do mean finely)
Bout 500g ground beef or veal (well, pork in your case I guess)
1-2 cans chopped tomatoes (or a couple of tablespoons tomato concentrate)
Dried chilli flakes to taste
salt, pepper

The meat doesn't actually NEED browning in this, the flavour develops in slow cooking anyway.
Basically, fry the veg on medium-low until nice and fragrant but not browned, add meat and cook til all pink is gone, add tomatoes (or tomato paste and enough water, stock or red wine so that everything is just a bit more liquid than a sauce but not totally swimming; it'll reduce while cooking). Add chilli whenever.

Cook on low until it's lovely, brown and a bit thickened up. At least 30 minutes but the longer the better, basically. Mine is usually 45 mins+

Serve with tagliatelle or similar broader pasta rather than spaghetti imo as well but that's just preference. Also don't tell anyone but a tablespoon or so of fish sauce is pretty great in it too.

I would really recommend beef or veal rather than pork since there's a metric tonne of recipes out there specifically for pork and I doubt it'll be quite as good but hey, whatever.

edit: optional chopped parsley at the end and/or grated parmesan. A bit of dried herb doesn't go amiss either though most Ragu recipes would leave them out. I often add a bit of thyme and oregano, dried or fresh depending on what I have.

NLJP fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 9, 2013

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Grand Fromage posted:

There's a pretty good thread on Bolognese started by GrAviTy84. The technique presented in the OP is pretty much how I do it, but there are alternatives discussed later in the thread.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Cool, thanks. Believe me I would rather use beef but it's like $25 a pound in Korea. Pork is a more reasonable five or six bucks. Veal doesn't exist. :negative:

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Cool, thanks. Believe me I would rather use beef but it's like $25 a pound in Korea. Pork is a more reasonable five or six bucks. Veal doesn't exist. :negative:

Oh yeah I forgot about the korea situation. Condolences. Well I'd be interested to hear how a pork ragu goes anyway so do tell us once you make it :)

I bet it'll be tasty anyway. Though using pork I would almost definitely make more of an effort to brown it before the slow cook stage.
On that note some might criticise the recipe I posted for not doing that anyway and yeah I'm usually of the brown every meat opinion but I never found that particular recipe needed it.

NLJP fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 9, 2013

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

THE MACHO MAN posted:

couldn't you always do it in a cast iron if you don't have a stone?? Or is that deep dish only?

Flip a cast iron upside down? That's an awesome ghetto pizza stone

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Why flip it over? On mine the bottom has texture and is not seasoned and the only advantage is that its bigger by the width of the rim?

I heat it in the oven, drop in crust and add toppings then return to oven until done for cast iron home pizzas

Show Me A Chicken
May 6, 2007
I'll show you a geek.
Does anyone have any tips for cooking lamb heart? I love lamb, and a big ol' tray of lamb hearts were half as expensive as the leg of lamb at the weird little grocery I go to, so now I have five or six lamb hearts sitting in my fridge, making my girlfriend sad every time she opens the fridge door. I'm planning on serving it with a side of okra and green beans in tomato sauce, but is there any particular way to cook it that will work best?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Squashy Nipples posted:

The fresh version is very hard to find, most recipes call for powdered. It's similar to fresh ginger, so I would probably handle it that way.

And yes, it supposedly has impressive anti-inflammatory properties.

dino. posted:

Make any kind of Burmese curry that you can get your hands on. They tend not to use too many spices. Their main flavourings are shallots, ginger, garlic, and turmeric. Lots and lots of turmeric.

Thank you both, when I went back to get some it had disappeared with no expectation that it will return :smith:.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I randomly saw it at Market Basket a few months ago... I was surprised, MB is really good at stocking local ethnic items, but I can't think of any cultures in the area that use it fresh. Jamaican curry power uses it dry, but outside of that, I dunno.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Okay, I checked one place, and it was definitely safflower and not real saffron (and was labeled as such). But that was just the bulk bins at one grocery store, I haven't had a chance to go back to any of the spice shops and see exactly what they're selling.

In other interesting food news, I found camel rib steaks at the Carrefour. We didn't pick any up because we were parked at the other end of the mall and didn't want to carry anything, but I think next time I go back I'll get some. I'm guessing they should be treated like any other red meat. Has anybody cooked camel before? The only flavor comparison I found was with horse, which I've never eaten either. I was thinking I would give them a nice flavorful dry rub and let them sit a few hours or overnight, then grill or broil them on high heat.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

RazorBunny posted:

In other interesting food news, I found camel rib steaks at the Carrefour. We didn't pick any up because we were parked at the other end of the mall and didn't want to carry anything, but I think next time I go back I'll get some. I'm guessing they should be treated like any other red meat. Has anybody cooked camel before? The only flavor comparison I found was with horse, which I've never eaten either. I was thinking I would give them a nice flavorful dry rub and let them sit a few hours or overnight, then grill or broil them on high heat.

Now I'm going to be sad every time I go to Carrefour and they don't have camel. :saddowns:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Show Me A Chicken posted:

Does anyone have any tips for cooking lamb heart? I love lamb, and a big ol' tray of lamb hearts were half as expensive as the leg of lamb at the weird little grocery I go to, so now I have five or six lamb hearts sitting in my fridge, making my girlfriend sad every time she opens the fridge door. I'm planning on serving it with a side of okra and green beans in tomato sauce, but is there any particular way to cook it that will work best?

Make anticuchos with it.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Now I'm going to be sad every time I go to Carrefour and they don't have camel. :saddowns:

I imagine there's quite a bit of difference in the stock at most local Carrefour locations and the stock here :) There was a whole dressed mutton hanging in one of the refrigerator cases, ready to be wrapped up and taken home in one piece.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

RazorBunny posted:

I imagine there's quite a bit of difference in the stock at most local Carrefour locations and the stock here :) There was a whole dressed mutton hanging in one of the refrigerator cases, ready to be wrapped up and taken home in one piece.

On the other hand mine has buy three bottles of French wine get three more free, so I guess we're both winners.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Arnold of Soissons posted:

On the other hand mine has buy three bottles of French wine get three more free, so I guess we're both winners.

Only non-alcoholic wine in this one, I'm afraid. :smith:

My husband is experimenting with some primitive homebrew efforts. He's already made a passable hard cider. Sadly the only yeast you can buy here is bread yeast, but we brought some champagne yeast and a bubbler over with us and nobody raised an eyebrow. I bought a kilo of lime blossom honey yesterday to make mead, I just need to find a good container for it.

So many different varieties of honey, by the way. The honey section is easily twice the size of the jams and jellies section at every store we've visited.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I bought some grapeseed oil for a recipe (homemade korma curry), but the only container I could find has way the gently caress more than I need. What sort of recipes can I actually use it for? The Flavor Bible didn't give me much to work with, except that it tastes good with coconut (which I don't really like very much) and can make a good vinaigrette.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Thumposaurus posted:

You should be able to get the gelatin to dissolve by heating the whole mix back up again over a double boiler. Cool it down in an ice bath and then spin in the ice cream machine.

So I tried again, but I didn't do this, instead, I bloomed the gelatin, dissolved it over low heat, added it to a bowl along with like, a quarter cup of cold vodka, and then added that to the custard mixture, stirred it around a little, and tried again.

Didn't work. I think this was a combination of my ice cream machine bowl not being frozen enough (it was still slushy, and I discovered that my freezer was set to "least cold", which is loving stupid) and not mixing the gelatin enough, because when I gave up, I strained the custard into a container and I was left with a bunch of icky gelatinized strings, which is obviously not what I want.

I still have the custard, I wonder how many more tries it will last. I'm gonna try dissolving the gelatin, letting it sit just a little longer on the heat, and adding just straight to the custard instead of adding more booze.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Squashy Nipples posted:

I randomly saw it at Market Basket a few months ago... I was surprised, MB is really good at stocking local ethnic items, but I can't think of any cultures in the area that use it fresh. Jamaican curry power uses it dry, but outside of that, I dunno.

My local supermarket now stocks it fresh. Every time I've used it my fingers have been yellow for like 2 days

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't have archives and I don't remember if this was linked in that thread, but FXCuisine has the awesomest recipe for bolognese I've ever come across, and it says you can make a variant by subbing out (some of) the beef for ground pork shoulder.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

RazorBunny posted:

Only non-alcoholic wine in this one, I'm afraid. :smith:

My husband is experimenting with some primitive homebrew efforts. He's already made a passable hard cider. Sadly the only yeast you can buy here is bread yeast, but we brought some champagne yeast and a bubbler over with us and nobody raised an eyebrow. I bought a kilo of lime blossom honey yesterday to make mead, I just need to find a good container for it.

So many different varieties of honey, by the way. The honey section is easily twice the size of the jams and jellies section at every store we've visited.

Can you get an unfiltered beer like Coopers or something? You can grow out a yeast cake from one of those easily enough.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

CloseFriend posted:

I bought some grapeseed oil for a recipe (homemade korma curry), but the only container I could find has way the gently caress more than I need. What sort of recipes can I actually use it for? The Flavor Bible didn't give me much to work with, except that it tastes good with coconut (which I don't really like very much) and can make a good vinaigrette.

It has a pretty high smoke point so I just use it for all-purpose sauteeing and frying. I imagine the Flavor Bible didn't help you much because it doesn't really have all that much flavor.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Breaky posted:

Can you get an unfiltered beer like Coopers or something? You can grow out a yeast cake from one of those easily enough.

Unless there's a non-alcoholic version of that, no. Kuwait is a dry country.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I bought Thai basil, Thai chilies, and galangal on Thursday, but I'm beginning not to think I'll get around to using them in the next few days. The nearest place I can buy more is about two hours away. Do they all freeze well enough for me to just keep them on ice until I do have time to do some Thai cooking?

Hawkgirl posted:

It has a pretty high smoke point so I just use it for all-purpose sauteeing and frying. I imagine the Flavor Bible didn't help you much because it doesn't really have all that much flavor.
I could see that. I ended up doing some frying with it tonight, and I found it pretty useful for that.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

CloseFriend posted:

Interchangeable with canola, but with an even higher smoke point. One of the highest iirc

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

CloseFriend posted:

I bought Thai basil, Thai chilies, and galangal on Thursday,
Grate the galangal as finely as possible. Measure out 1 tablespoon amounts. Lay onto plastic wrap lined baking sheet. Freeze. Take the stems off the chiles. Freeze. Please don't freeze the basil. You're going to lose something that makes it taste so special. You can make a few curry pastes and freeze that too if you want. However the Thai basil is meant to be extremely fresh. Freezing it just kills that.

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you
I was given a bunch of Ceylon cinnamon in bark form, any suggestions on what to do with it? Do I use it much in the way I would use cassia cinnamon?

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Thai chiles also dry really well. Just string them on some heavy-duty thread and hang them for a week or two. Rehydrate them by soaking in warm water, or grind them as needed for chile powder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

dino. posted:

Grate the galangal as finely as possible. Measure out 1 tablespoon amounts. Lay onto plastic wrap lined baking sheet. Freeze. Take the stems off the chiles. Freeze. Please don't freeze the basil. You're going to lose something that makes it taste so special. You can make a few curry pastes and freeze that too if you want. However the Thai basil is meant to be extremely fresh. Freezing it just kills that.

You'll keep 90% of the basil 'specialness' if you freeze it. It'll work better if you chop it up, mix it with a little oil, and freeze that, though. When you defrost, it wouldn't be something you can mince and sprinkle, since ice crystals will shred the cells; it'll be limp and turn black, but still taste like basil. If the choice is between freezing it or letting it go bad, by all means, freeze it.

That said, you should have no problem keeping it for at least a week in the fridge...wash the basil, don't dry it, but instead roll it in a layer or two (depending on how much basil you have) of clean paper towels. If the towels are still very dry, sprinkle a little water on them, then put them inside a large ziploc bag and leave them in the fridge. Depending on the herb, I've gotten a couple of weeks or more out of this.

Finally, something you should give some consideration to for long-term basil needs - growing it yourself. Basil grows, well, like a weed - it's very very easy to grow lots of it, as long as you have light and plenty of wate ravailable.