Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I see Polaris Office (http://appshopper.com/business/polaris-office) is on sale today. Does anyone know if it's any good with formatted Word 2010 files? I've yet to see an office app that can open a docx file with properly laid out header1/header2 etc text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Are there any decent apps for letting me send a URL from Internet Explorer (what I'm forced to use at work) to my iPhone?

I just want something really easy and works quickly...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe an IM app to send yourself the link?

I haven't found a great way to get random blobs of data from Windows to iOS.. it's pretty easy on a Mac with Notes.app if both machines are signed into your iCloud account.

I generally fall back on email, it's stupid, but it works.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
I just put everything in a text file and put it in my Dropbox.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Vinlaen posted:

Are there any decent apps for letting me send a URL from Internet Explorer (what I'm forced to use at work) to my iPhone?

Maybe the Pocket bookmarklet?

http://help.getpocket.com/customer/portal/articles/680429-installing-the-pocket-bookmarklet-in-internet-explorer

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Vinlaen posted:

Clink. I remember hearing that it had stopped working a while ago, but I just tried it and it seems to work just fine.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

xzzy posted:

Maybe an IM app to send yourself the link?

I haven't found a great way to get random blobs of data from Windows to iOS.. it's pretty easy on a Mac with Notes.app if both machines are signed into your iCloud account.

I generally fall back on email, it's stupid, but it works.
Does iCloud.com work in IE? I think they added Notes to the site a while back.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Any apps out there that I can put my usual driving routes into that will alert me any time there is traffic or an incident along one of those routes so I don't have to look it up every day before I leave etc etc?

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

Question Mark Mound posted:

I see Polaris Office (http://appshopper.com/business/polaris-office) is on sale today. Does anyone know if it's any good with formatted Word 2010 files? I've yet to see an office app that can open a docx file with properly laid out header1/header2 etc text.

I just bought it and it's displaying my .docx headers fine. Thanks for the heads up on this. Somehow Polaris went under my radar.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

PaganGoatPants posted:

Any apps out there that I can put my usual driving routes into that will alert me any time there is traffic or an incident along one of those routes so I don't have to look it up every day before I leave etc etc?

I was wondering that the other day too! That'd be really handy. I meant to check if Waze has added that in because you'd think it would be something it could do.

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled

Bucket Joneses posted:

ItsPlaying (network) and GPlayer (local) are decent, but ever since the AC3 debacle, they're all super inconvenient.

What is 'the AC3 debacle'?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

PaganGoatPants posted:

Waze (free). Navigon (not free) have traffic/event alerts on your route. Waze relies on other Waze users to report stuff, so the quality of alerts depends on how many (and how lazy) other Wazers around you. Navigon uses some service I guess (and I think it's an extra 1-time IAP.)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Vinlaen posted:

I use Handoff.

http://www.handoffapp.com/

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

vlack posted:

What is 'the AC3 debacle'?

Someone who owns one of the AC3 patents tried to sue Apple about the apps in the App Store that can play it, so Apple told all the devs to either
1) remove AC3 playback (most apps did this)
2) buy whatever bullshit patent licence the right holder is seeking
3) take down their app from the store

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

What's the word on CBR readers for iPhone? Is there one that's particularly awesome? Being able to import stuff from my computer is a big deal if any do that.

The Batman
Sep 11, 2001

The Dark Knight

Upmarket Mango posted:

What's the word on CBR readers for iPhone? Is there one that's particularly awesome? Being able to import stuff from my computer is a big deal if any do that.

I use Comic Zeal. Looks and works well.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

illBilliam posted:

I just bought it and it's displaying my .docx headers fine. Thanks for the heads up on this. Somehow Polaris went under my radar.
Thanks for taking the plunge! I bought it and it seems pretty good - Universal too which helps. It's a shame you can't add fonts into it, though - doesn't seem to have the default Header fonts from Word 2010.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

The Batman posted:

Seconding this. It's a great program.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

The Batman posted:

choobs posted:

Seconding this. It's a great program.

Awesome, this is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks!

NZP
Jan 4, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What's the name of that football tactics app that was trailed a few weeks ago? Looked super slick.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Is there an app that can monitor websites for you (say, like if you're waiting for a pre-order deal to open) and then sends you a push message when it notices a change?

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Eight Is Legend posted:

Is there an app that can monitor websites for you (say, like if you're waiting for a pre-order deal to open) and then sends you a push message when it notices a change?

I don't know if it's what you are looking for, but I've used the Page Monitor Extension for Chrome to do this: http://code.google.com/p/pagemon-chrome-ext/

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

vtlock posted:

I don't know if it's what you are looking for, but I've used the Page Monitor Extension for Chrome to do this: http://code.google.com/p/pagemon-chrome-ext/

Yup, that's basically the functionality I'm looking for, would just be sweet to have an app for it since I always have my phone on me :)

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
iMessage can let me text solely on a data plan. I want to be able to send texts to other devices through an app on just data. I don't think What'sApp will do this, and I don't mind if Its not free.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

iMessage can let me text solely on a data plan. I want to be able to send texts to other devices through an app on just data. I don't think What'sApp will do this, and I don't mind if Its not free.

I'm almost positive what's app is absolutely perfect for this, it just needs to be tied to a phone number.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Upmarket Mango posted:

Awesome, this is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks!

Comic Flow is pretty good too, if you want another option.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Kingnothing posted:

I'm almost positive what's app is absolutely perfect for this, it just needs to be tied to a phone number.

Yes Whatsapp is pretty much what you want.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
FYI the people you're contacting will need WhatsApp too.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
I prefer Whatsapp, but LINE may be a free alternative to consider too.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I think he's looking for something that will send actual texts to devices that don't use any special apps such as Whatsapp or LINE. I know they exist, can't make any recommendations, I used TextFree years ago which worked but it was a pretty crummy interface. Then they added a bunch of IAP bullshit despite already having bought the "Pro" version of the app back in the days when there was usually just a lite and pro version of apps.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Couldn't you use a Google Talk account and some app to text for free? I remember doing it a while ago, but that was about a year ago, and I don't tend to use that phone number anymore.

EDIT: Some of my texts from back then were to friends with Android/a disposable phone, so they didn't have the app either.

IUG fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 9, 2013

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Pinger can send regular texts to a number without them having the app

caboodle
Oct 28, 2009

SnatchRabbit posted:

Has anyone tried out the new Marvel Unlimited app? I've been waiting for an all you can eat comics app, but I'm not sure if this actually serves up all the comics day and date from comixology or if it's just a limited subset similar to the old browser based service they used to use.

The Marvel Unlimited app has the same 13,000 comics as on the Marvel Unlimited website. New comics won't be available until at least 6 months after publishing.
You can download the app for free and try some of the free comics.
Personally I'm loving the service, but the Unlimited app isn't as quick or as smooth to use as the normal Marvel (Comixology powered) app.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Any recommendations for a podcast app that is specifically good for listening to back catalog episodes? Instacast really doesn't handle this use case well.... It mostly seems to be written under the assumption you are listening to current episodes. I really want a convenient way to listen to, and keep track of old [EconTalk and Hypercritical] episodes.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I will say this about Apple's native maps app, short of the podcast app, it's probably the worst performing app on my iPhone.

There are times when it just locks up for handfuls of seconds at a time. And scrolling around isn't smooth, but instead nonreactive, and after a few seconds it catches up.

And this is where Data is fast and in abundance.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Feenix posted:

I will say this about Apple's native maps app, short of the podcast app, it's probably the worst performing app on my iPhone.

There are times when it just locks up for handfuls of seconds at a time. And scrolling around isn't smooth, but instead nonreactive, and after a few seconds it catches up.

It's pretty fast and awesome for me (5) and my wife (4s).

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Feenix posted:

Maybe it's the provider. Do you have AT&T? This happens to me from time to time too. Plenty of LTE to go around where I live too.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

randyest posted:

It's pretty fast and awesome for me (5) and my wife (4s).

Also have a 5. On AT&T in Seattle.

The google maps app doesn't ever stutter or lock. Just sayin...

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Lexicon posted:

Any recommendations for a podcast app that is specifically good for listening to back catalog episodes? Instacast really doesn't handle this use case well.... It mostly seems to be written under the assumption you are listening to current episodes. I really want a convenient way to listen to, and keep track of old [EconTalk and Hypercritical] episodes.

For Hypercritical, instead of an app you might want to check out http://5by5timemachine.com/

It basically lets you create a delayed feed of any 5by5 show. I've been using it to get "new" Hypercritical episodes every week since it ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI

Feenix posted:

This is pretty much the opposite of my experience with the maps app (5 on Verizon).

Weird.

• Locked thread