Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

door Door door posted:

Don't know about private companies, but it's actually illegal to ship alcohol through the USPS. Unfortunately.

I get my booze shipped to me through something.

And I always have to mention the Manhattan Rye whenever rye comes up. Favorite by far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Smokewagon posted:

NightConqueror is correct, Rye is on the upswing. A few other good Rye's are Redemption Hi Rye and Sazerac to go along with NightConqueror's suggestions.
There's Redemption High Rye Bourbon and then there's Redemption Rye. The latter is quite good for something barely 2-years-old. My only issue is all the 95% rye whiskeys are based on the same LDI recipe. Any differentiation between Templeton, Bulleit, Redemption, Willett, etc. is pretty much in the wood and length of maturation.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Mar 6, 2013

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

kidsafe posted:

There's Redemption High Rye Bourbon and then there's Redemption Rye. The latter is quite good for something barely 2-years-old. My only issue is all the 95% rye whiskeys are based on the same LDI recipe. Any differentiation between Templeton, Bulleit, Redemption, Willett, etc. is pretty much in the wood and length of maturation.

Speaking of Rye, LDI, etc., I frequently pull this article up: http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2012/10/guide-to-rye-whiskey-cocktail-101-basics-what-is-rye-how-is-it-made-brands.html

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

Welp, that's pretty interesting. I assume most distilleries don't bother to try and make their own rye because of how much of a pain in the rear end it is to get 95% rye to ferment.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Great article. I haven't had any of the LDI ryes except for the bulleit once a long time ago. Liquor store just opened up by me and carries a few of them. Maybe redemption for my next choice rye.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
A few pages ago someone asked about the history of Canadian whisky. I can give a short history of rye whiskey that I learned from my uncle, who recently started his own rye distillery.

Back before Prohibition, Pennsylvania rye whiskey was considered one of the finest spirits in the world, and millions of gallons of it were distilled every year. At Prohibition, all of that capacity picked up and moved north of the border. After Prohibition, some of them moved back to PA, but they weren't ever really able to match their previous quality. They ended up getting into price wars with the Canadians, they sacrificed their brand quality, and they all went out of business by the 90s.

So anyway my uncle started his own rye in PA, using locally sourced organic grains and poo poo, it's cool as hell. It's available in a bunch of states but hes still pretty small. I've spotted it at a few shops and bars in DC where I live though.

Anyways it's got a very smooth taste and what I would describe as a round, golden, sweet spicyness. I was usually more of an Irish drinker but whatever it's good. It's called "Dad's Hat Pennsylvania Rye Whiskey" and it runs about $40. Check it out, or ask me about it I guess, or whatever.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cool!

Can you shed a light on the mashbill? How much % of rye is in there?

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
80% rye, 15% malted barley, and 5% malted rye. Its aged in new white oak quarter casks from Georgia iirc, I have one in my living room with fifteen gallons of homebrewed beer hanging out in it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Thanks, sounds good.

Another question: How long ago did he start doing this? (i.e. how old is the spirit currently on market?)

Here on the other side of the atlantic it's very difficult to get good US made spirit like bourbon, let alone decent rye. I'd love to try it sometime, if I can find it. :)

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Well the first commercial release hit store shelves about a year ago, as I recall, and i believe anything out there now is aged six months in small barrels. So he started full production back in August or September of 2011. He might have already started selling his 2-year aged batches, I'm not really sure when they'll be ready if not. I don't know when it will be available internationally :|

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Continuing on my journey to find a blended scotch I like, I've turned to the old classics. I ended up getting a bottle of J & B from a family member, and basically, im glad I didn't pay for it. Not that it's a bad drink but it's just lacking overall. It doesn't really have any layered flavor, it's lighter yellow than bushmills(irish, I know, im just using a comparison) and nothing in the overall flavor profile does anything to mask the bitterness of fusel alcohol. The bottling is cool though.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Politicalrancor posted:

Continuing on my journey to find a blended scotch I like, I've turned to the old classics. I ended up getting a bottle of J & B from a family member, and basically, im glad I didn't pay for it. Not that it's a bad drink but it's just lacking overall. It doesn't really have any layered flavor, it's lighter yellow than bushmills(irish, I know, im just using a comparison) and nothing in the overall flavor profile does anything to mask the bitterness of fusel alcohol. The bottling is cool though.

If you're looking at blended scotch, you definitely need to try Compass Box's Great King Street. It made me a believer.

spiderbot
Oct 21, 2012

NightConqueror posted:

Just the opposite. Rye whiskey is currently the hot spirit in the US and a lot of distillers are scrambling to boost up stocks of rye whiskey. Other distilleries which haven't ever done rye before are getting into it, like Jack Daniels, George Dickel. We're also seeing a lot of new brands from the big boys, like Knob Creek Rye. Rye whiskey is a hot and spicy liquor which lends it self to cocktails like the Manhattan, the Old Fashioned and many others. On its own many rye whiskies are just as distinctive and enjoyable as bourbons.

I don't know what's commonly available in the UK but some reasonably priced safe bets are:

Rittenhouse Rye 100 proof
Old Overholt
Bulliet Rye
Jefferson's 10 Year Old Rye (this one is the baby brother of the absolutely phenomenal Whistlepig Rye)

I like rye. A lot.

Probably just less popular in the UK I guess, it does seem to be easier to get Scottish and Irish whiskey here than US/ Canadian ones (surprising, that...). I haven't been able to find any ryes in my local supermarkets or off-licenses, but there are some online stores which have the Rittenhouse and Bulliet (assuming that's the Bulliet '95' right?) so I'll probably order one of those two.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

NightConqueror posted:

If you're looking at blended scotch, you definitely need to try Compass Box's Great King Street. It made me a believer.

The reviews sound really good and Ill definitely check it out. Mostly, I'm becoming increasingly disappointed by "mass marketed" blended scotchs, because I can't see why they're at all popular.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Politicalrancor posted:

The reviews sound really good and Ill definitely check it out. Mostly, I'm becoming increasingly disappointed by "mass marketed" blended scotchs, because I can't see why they're at all popular.
Blends are specifically designed around consistency and general acceptance. Great King Street doesn't move away from that paradigm, but Compass Box does emphasize the quality of its wood and has a distinct house-style.

Poor quality is also not mark exclusive to mass-market blends. There are plenty of awful single malts out there.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I grabbed a bottle of Four Roses Small Batch yesterday........it's not going to last long. NOM

Also, RED ALERT at any Total Wine they have shitloads (20+ bottles) of Rittenhouse Rye.......at least in Sacramento/Roseville in NorCal.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 9, 2013

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

NightConqueror posted:

Agree, you definitely need to try just about anything by Compass box. I was at a tasting a few weeks back, and they gave out 6 different expressions, and none of them were a dissapointment.

Smokewagon fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 9, 2013

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

kidsafe posted:

Blends are specifically designed around consistency and general acceptance. Great King Street doesn't move away from that paradigm, but Compass Box does emphasize the quality of its wood and has a distinct house-style.

Poor quality is also not mark exclusive to mass-market blends. There are plenty of awful single malts out there.

I just don't understand how it's roundly accepted. It's probably more that it's not appealing to my palate. I probably come off pretty negative too but this is a fun experiment and I only know how to review negatively because I'm dumb.

Trust me, even when I'm not impressed by the flavor, I'm ok because I'm drinking booze.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
To be fair, regular J & B is pretty gross straight up. Gotta mix that poo poo.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I wouldn't go so far as to say gross, just that it has no flavor at all. Like, absolutely none.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
For my bottom-shelf mixing scotch I go with Old Smuggler. It's great because
- it's cheap
- it's better than J&B and at least as tolerable as Dewar's
- Moominpappa would approve
- it's called Old Smuggler, what more do you want?

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

For my bottom-shelf mixing scotch I go with Old Smuggler. It's great because
- it's cheap
- it's better than J&B and at least as tolerable as Dewar's
- Moominpappa would approve
- it's called Old Smuggler, what more do you want?

I'll throw Teacher's into the mix, for a decent blend it's about $25, so maybe not quite bottom shelf.

I've also heard that Ballantine’s and White Horse are decent, but have never tried them. Anyone have an opinion on either one?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ballantine's is terrible. White Horse, well I've heard some good things but can't comment on it myself.

A decent blend is Pig's Nose. It's a bit overly sweet but has almost none of the offensive rubbing alcohol and chemical notes cheap blends tend to have. I don't know about availability though.

I've also heard some good things about Black & White, although again, no personal experience.

My personal choices:
-Black Grouse
-Black Label
-Black Bottle
-Té Bheagh

These are all in the smoky category. For the more smoother varieties the aforementioned Pig's Nose, or try some Chivas Regal.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Black Bull 12yr is nice as well, but pricier.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Had some 2012 William Larue Weller reserve tonight, holy poo poo what a revelation in bourbon.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Huge_Midget posted:

Had some 2012 William Larue Weller reserve tonight, holy poo poo what a revelation in bourbon.

Hell yeah. Weller Antique (which I'm pretty sure is the same thing, only bottled at 107 proof instead of 90) is my personal favorite wheated bourbon. It seems impossible that something that high in proof should be so pleasant to drink without water.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

Huge_Midget posted:

Definitely a glorious bottle. It's my top choice in bourbon right now.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Hell yeah. Weller Antique (which I'm pretty sure is the same thing, only bottled at 107 proof instead of 90) is my personal favorite wheated bourbon. It seems impossible that something that high in proof should be so pleasant to drink without water.

I'm fairly certain he is talking about the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection's William Larue Weller Reserve. It's bottled at barrel strength (123.4 Proof), and is unfiltered.

More Info: http://www.greatbourbon.com/great-bourbons

edit: The George T. Stagg from the same collection is pretty drat good as well.

Peteee
Mar 24, 2007
Lives inside a 4 dimensional rhombus
I didn't see this here.

A fantastic read in the New Yorker about Bruichladdich Islay whisky.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2013/02/11/130211fa_fact_sanneh?currentPage=all

Luminaz
Mar 9, 2013

oops !
I like Islay whisky, the smoke & iodine taste. I've tasted so far bowmore darkest, tempest & 18yo.

Can you recommand me another one ? I would like to taste something stronger (if possible).

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Try some Ardbeg or Laphroaig.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

My roommate picked up some Old Granddad 114 and that is a delicious bourbon. Amazingly smooth and composed for a Sykes-proof whiskey, and totally affordable. The bottle he got was like $27.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Kenning posted:

My roommate picked up some Old Granddad 114 and that is a delicious bourbon. Amazingly smooth and composed for a Sykes-proof whiskey, and totally affordable. The bottle he got was like $27.

Funny you mention OGD. Apparently they just dropped the proof on their standard bottle from 86 to 80 without any hoopla. The 100 and 114 proofers won't be touched.

I like to keep a bottle of the BiB around as it's extremely affordable and has a really high rye content. Really tasty stuff.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

Kenning posted:

OGD 114 is good, I always have a bottle of it (as well as OGD BiB) in the cabinet. It is becoming more popular lately, some even half-jokingly say they wish people would stop talking about it as they are afriad it will get hard to find. Never had any problems though, and one store I visit often just recently just sarted carrying it this year.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
Any thoughts on unpeated Islay whiskies? The two I'm looking at currently are Bruichladdich The Laddie 10 and Bunnahabhain 12. I feel like as a whisky enthusiast I have to try Bruichladdich at some point - or at least before the quality drops after they're forced to double their production.

NightConqueror fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 14, 2013

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Went looking through my local bottle shop and found that they had Black Bottle after having about 2 years where I couldn't find it anywhere in Australia. Snapped it up quick smart. I'm finding it pretty smooth and pretty deep. Definitely punches above its price point.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

NightConqueror posted:

Any thoughts on unpeated Islay whiskies? The two I'm looking at currently are Bruichladdich The Laddie 10 and Bunnahabhain 12. I feel like as a whisky enthusiast I have to try Bruichladdich at some point - or at least before the quality drops after they're forced to double their production.
My opinion only, but Bunnahabhain 12 is a much better whisky than any of the young Bruichladdichs. It's nutty, oily/viscous, and while the barley isn't dried over peat smoke there are traces of Islay (from the water source?)

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
Finally stumbled across a bottle of Pig's Nose earlier this week and I'm liking it quite a bit. The price is just right as well.

I managed to find it after my friend dragged me to a Binny's about 30 minutes away, saying it had the best selection in the area. Holy hell was he right. I'm definitely going to have to make the pilgrimage again when I'm wanting to try something new. I had to settle with Pig's Nose mostly because of the price (I also walked away with a bottle of mead... I thought that stuff was impossible to find around here.)

This was in Alqonquin, in case there are any northern Illinois goons in here.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Could the OP be updated if there is anything that needs updating? I am using it as a reference for things to try and buy to cut my teeth on and some of this stuff seems a bit up there for a bottle,this may just be regional fuckery, but my concern in honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Herr Tog posted:

Could the OP be updated if there is anything that needs updating? I am using it as a reference for things to try and buy to cut my teeth on and some of this stuff seems a bit up there for a bottle,this may just be regional fuckery, but my concern in honest.

Must be regional fuckery. That list is all entry level stuff except for a couple bottles. What do the prices look like by you on some of those choices?