Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

Gonz posted:

I don't think Tberius will be alive by the end of this series.

What a wretched little poo poo.

Well, to be fair, his dad did make him kill his best friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Azure_Horizon posted:

First decimation, now tug-of-war. Spartacus is the most visually horrifying show on TV, and I love it while also being continuously shocked by it.

Screw betting on gladiator fights, I wanna spend my money betting on which limb pops off first! This show is absolutely brutal.

Why can't Gannicus and Ceasar just be cool bros who go around the world broing it up together in epic fashion. Under different circumstances I'm sure they would be best friends.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Doublehex posted:

Well, to be fair, his dad did make him kill his best friend.

So he rapes an innocent woman who tries to be kind to him?

Nah, he's a poo poo and should die.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Tiberius must die, no question on that, but this is Spartacus. When you are asked to participate in an orgy, you say "Yes".

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I don't hate Tiberius; I am fascinated by how much of a true Roman he's becoming.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I don't think it helps the Tiberius character that he's the worst actor on the show.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Gangringo posted:

Gannicus and Pullo gently caress and kill their way across time while Spartacus and Vorenus stay in the TARDIS to brood and complain about them.

New concept: Gannicus is a time traveler, Spartacus and Co. stay in their respective time period, and depending on their actions the world Gannicus lives in completely changes week to week.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

qbert posted:

She's not an innocent women, she's property. loving Romans.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

nooneofconsequence posted:

I don't think it helps the Tiberius character that he's the worst actor on the show.

Naevia is still on this show. Then again, I'm not sure if her always trying to look fierce while being weaker than most is intentional.

R.I.P. Donar. I will miss his axe murders.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I don't think Tiberius has a bad actor. I loved that line about Caesar going from sword to tongue of silver.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Gannicus owns. All the Gladiators own. Killing himself to deprive the romans of their victory kill? After essentially owning Caesar? Awesome.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

nooneofconsequence posted:

His acting seems fine to me. I think it was just that he had to start off as a rather lovely character - he's convincing enough in his heel turn and Caesar's hilarious foil.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I was honestly surprised and thought they wouldn't have Laeta go nude after 5 episodes. Guess I was wrong. :fap:

Really loved the scene between Crassus, Tiberius and Kore. Honestly I don't think Tiberius is a lovely actor or anything but he has the play the part of pompous rear end in a top hat.

Also Caesar now shaven and with a Roman haircut looks a bit closer to what I would've expected from Caesar if you saw a bust or something.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
JESUS CHRIST the entire second half of that episode I was on the edge of my seat literally shouting at the screen for Gannicus not to die. That was such a suspenseful episode. And that guy stabbing himself in the face was so loving :black101:

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

qbert posted:

Nah, he's a poo poo and should die.

Yep. According to history, when Crixus died, Spartacus captured Romans and forced them to fight in the arena in memory of Crixus. I DEMAND that this is how Tiberius dies.

DrinkMoreBeer
Jan 23, 2006

by toby

Sober posted:

Also Caesar now shaven and with a Roman haircut looks a bit closer to what I would've expected from Caesar if you saw a bust or something.

Yeah this. The new looking Caesar is way cooler.

Also, so many merkins this episode.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Some serious merkins in this episode.

Caesar's slavesome girl was outstanding... need a gif of her.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Mar 9, 2013

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Caesar looks so loving hot all clean-shaven and hair cut. But then again, so many men are hot in Spartacus -- nearly all of them. Hell, even Donar was hot as gently caress.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
I love this show but every time there's a fight scene I get terrified that someone I really like is going to die. Gannicus has to live though he's too cool to die.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
trying hard to understand where they are, because Sinuessa as it was in histroy is between Rome and Naples on the west coast. it's not mountain country by any stretch. It's like 900kms to the alps, marching past Rome. I know in history they made a break for the Alps, then turned around and marched south again but they were headed for Thrace.

Crassus built a wall, but it was on the southern tip, preventing them from heading back they way they had come.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Mar 9, 2013

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Rocksicles posted:

trying hard to understand where they are, because Sinuessa as it was in histroy is between Rome and Naples on the west coast. it's not mountain country by any stretch. It's like 900kms to the alps, marching past Rome. I know in history they made a break for the Alps, then turned around and marched south again but they were headed for Thrace.

Crassus built a wall, but it was on the southern tip, preventing them from heading back they way they had come.

I don't think those were supposed to be the alps, the appennine mountains run all the way down the boot.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah but they aren't bloody big between Rome and Naples, surely? I also didnt think it snowed anywhere near that much that far south.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Rocksicles posted:

I was going to write 'they're mashing up elements of history to fit the story', but then I realised that we're only just past halfway through the season.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Alchenar posted:

I was going to write 'they're mashing up elements of history to fit the story', but then I realised that we're only just past halfway through the season.

Only 4 episodes left though...

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
:hist101: Don't worry guys, I got this.
*stabs unarmed woman while his friends are being massacred by Gannicus*

Rocksicles posted:

Naked women: the sexiest blocking device.

Bodzilla
Mar 11, 2007

Beep beep, motherf*cker!

Rocksicles posted:

Best guess: https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Al...+Italy&t=p&z=13

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
drat fun episode. I was genuinely worried about Gannicus. Ceaser has all that history-armor so some of his scenes are less intense than they could be, but I really like Brad Ceaser. He's got a glint in his eye that makes him a rock-star.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Alchenar posted:

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what they're doing. Spartacus was betrayed by some pirates that were supposed to ferry his army to Sicily, and he turned around to find that Crassus had walled off the whole tip of the boot. Supposedly he managed to sneak a large portion of his army over the wall on a snowy night, so even that's pretty good. They're obviously taking a lot of liberties with location and terrain, but I think one of the cool things this show consistently manages to do is hit the broad historical notes while still stylizing the poo poo out of everything.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah I'd be okay with a Brad Caesar spinoff, the actor is doing a good job so far and I could see him in the lead of a similiar show

Also this was a cool episode

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Though she is small, she is fierce.
If we don't get an afterlife scene in the finale I'm going to be extremely mad :mad:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Paradoxish posted:

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what they're doing. Spartacus was betrayed by some pirates that were supposed to ferry his army to Sicily, and he turned around to find that Crassus had walled off the whole tip of the boot. Supposedly he managed to sneak a large portion of his army over the wall on a snowy night, so even that's pretty good. They're obviously taking a lot of liberties with location and terrain, but I think one of the cool things this show consistently manages to do is hit the broad historical notes while still stylizing the poo poo out of everything.

Oh yeah, they're hitting the historical notes, it's just hard to tell how hard. For example I think that the thing with Crixus some people are expecting has already been done as far as this show is concerned, although there's a bit of Naevia's story to be played out.

Brad Caesar changed significantly when he tidied up, but the voice is just a bit too coarse for my liking. This Caesar will never transform into Ciaran Hinds Caesar and that's mostly a fundamental stylistic choice with the show, but Crassus for example could have been dropped into Rome and would probably have worked as a character.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Jut posted:

Only 4 episodes left though...

Oh god people are going to start dying left and right aren't they.

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .

Fragmented posted:

Oh god people are going to start dying left and right aren't they.

Not Gannicus. He just steals all your women and escapes.

I hope he becomes a pseudo-Gaius Balta from BSG season 4 and builds up a cult of women that follows him around. Every episode is him killing Romans, rescuing a new woman, and having an orgy.

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

Some serious merkins in this episode.

only sfw one I could find of her body

Caesar is awesome though

Looking a little like brad pit now also

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Given that the show is so full of over-the-top ridiculous feats that you can grow accustomed to them, it was actually quite awesome to see Caesar lay out line-by-line just how incredibly heroic what he'd done was, and how pathetic Tiberius is in comparison.

The problem that Tiberius has is that he just isn't Ashur (and the last couple of episodes have literally just been him turning it Ashur 2.0, right down the the rape) and with only 4 episodes left and his enemies all having plot armor his story is not going to happy place.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Alchenar posted:

Oh yeah, they're hitting the historical notes, it's just hard to tell how hard. For example I think that the thing with Crixus some people are expecting has already been done as far as this show is concerned, although there's a bit of Naevia's story to be played out.

Brad Caesar changed significantly when he tidied up, but the voice is just a bit too coarse for my liking. This Caesar will never transform into Ciaran Hinds Caesar and that's mostly a fundamental stylistic choice with the show, but Crassus for example could have been dropped into Rome and would probably have worked as a character.

I think it's a little unnecessary to compare the Caesar here to Ciaran Hind's Caesar in Rome; bear in mind they are at two very different points in Caesar's history, and his role in this show is basically creative liberties to a fault.

Caesar's absolutely awesome here, so I think a spinoff show would be worthwhile.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

Sober posted:

I was honestly surprised and thought they wouldn't have Laeta go nude after 5 episodes. Guess I was wrong. :fap:

I don't find her attractive at all, as every shot of her reminds me of this:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Cry Havoc posted:

Hahah you rear end in a top hat.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Why is everyone calling him Brad Caesar. He is obviously Matt(Damon)Ceaser. It's all in the squarish shape of his head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

Cry Havoc posted:

• Locked thread