Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Apparently some free apps I want aren't available in my region (yay!). Is there a way around this?

I tried using OpenVPN for Android with no luck, so maybe I have to make and use a different google account?

Alternately, is there's somewhere I can grab the apks? The search results for apk files look sketchy as gently caress so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
So the new update to the Nike Plus app has some interesting permission requirements:

quote:

Allows the app to read data about your contacts stored on your tablet, including the frequency with which you've called, emailed, or communicated in other ways with specific individuals.

Allows the app to add, remove, change events that you can modify on your tablet, including those of friends or co-workers. This may allow the app to send messages that appear to come from calendar owners, or modify events without the owners' knowledge. Allows the app to add, remove, change events that you can modify on your phone, including those of friends or co-workers. This may allow the app to send messages that appear to come from calendar owners, or modify events without the owners' knowledge.

Allows the app to read all calendar events stored on your tablet, including those of friends or co-workers. This may allow the app to share or save your calendar data, regardless of confidentiality or sensitivity. Allows the app to read all calendar events stored on your phone, including those of friends or co-workers. This may allow the app to share or save your calendar data, regardless of confidentiality or sensitivity.

What the heck are the legit requirements for those?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

the posted:

So the new update to the Nike Plus app has some interesting permission requirements:

What the heck are the legit requirements for those?

They probably added social aspects to the app that required tapping into contacts/calendars to share and create events and stuff. I wouldn't get too paranoid about it.

Thessaly
Nov 2, 2002
Caught a ride with the moon

fivre posted:

Oh for joy.

The Twitter part of Tweetdeck is obviously going to stop working as they said they're killing the API it uses, I'm not sure how Facebook will stop working but I assume it will break also.

What are my other options for something that does both Facebook and Twitter or is it finally time to switch to Google+?
I'm not entirely thrilled by the UI, and it will eventually run afoul of Twitter, but there's Scope. PM me if you want an invite.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Doodarazumas posted:

I just downloaded it, but sigfig looks like it could be a new favorite. Pretty much Mint, but dedicated to investments.

Looks good. Thanks.

How about recommendations for an app that will let me play my FLAC files from my media server over Wifi? Not streaming anywhere I am, but it is just a SMB/NFS share set up for any access and stored in files/folders. Anyway to do that on my phone?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Is there any app combo (phone and desktop) that would let me lock multiple computers using an NFC tag?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So is it just me, or has the Adblock Plus app just completely poo poo itself over the last couple weeks? It seems that no matter what list I'm using, whenever I have filtering on Chrome just plain won't load any pages whatsoever.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

404GoonNotFound posted:

So is it just me, or has the Adblock Plus app just completely poo poo itself over the last couple weeks? It seems that no matter what list I'm using, whenever I have filtering on Chrome just plain won't load any pages whatsoever.

If you have a Nexus 4, 4.2.2 makes Adblock Plus useless

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

404GoonNotFound posted:

Use AdAway

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Sereri posted:

If you have a Nexus 4, 4.2.2 makes Adblock Plus useless

RAZR HD running 4.1.1, actually. I'll go check out AdAway though, thanks.

e: Got lazy and haven't rooted my poo poo yet. Crap.

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 8, 2013

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've got an LGE LG-MS770, and it JUST got stolen / possibly lost.

Is there ANY remote app that will work with this thing so I can find it? I really need help.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Turtlicious posted:

I've got an LGE LG-MS770, and it JUST got stolen / possibly lost.

Is there ANY remote app that will work with this thing so I can find it? I really need help.

Plan b

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Isn't compatible.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Turtlicious posted:

Isn't compatible.

Then it's time to take your avatar title's advice, it's gone buddy. Unless you installed a tracking / anti theft app before hand there isn't anything you can do other than call your insurance and file a claim. Also call your telco and tell them the serial number so they can black list it.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Then it's time to take your avatar title's advice, it's gone buddy. Unless you installed a tracking / anti theft app before hand there isn't anything you can do other than call your insurance and file a claim. Also call your telco and tell them the serial number so they can black list it.

:suicide: Oh, ok then. I know who stole it, so I'm just going to give him a chance to return it, or I'm going to call his P.O. and violate his rear end.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Turtlicious posted:

:suicide: Oh, ok then. I know who stole it, so I'm just going to give him a chance to return it, or I'm going to call his P.O. and violate his rear end.

Sounds like there's a story here that I would like to hear.

Also Cerberus or Android Lost can't be installed OTA?

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

ante posted:

I don't know about Android Lost but Cerberus requires logging into your Cerberus account on the phone to get it set up. It also needs to be set as a device admin but I'm not 100% sure that's required for all functionality.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

ante posted:

Installed but not configured (speaking about Cerberus as that's all I use).

Edit: so beaten

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ante posted:

I work as a manager of a SILP Program, I help CYA (California Youth Authority) and Foster youths transition into adulthood. Basically I (at 20 years old) have to tell people sometimes up to 5 years older then me to stop doing drugs and to pull their poo poo together. This is a big change from a bout a month ago when I was the guy being told to pull it together :v: Of course one had to call his mom (I'm loving stupid,) and I let him (because I'm an idiot,) and he left without returning it. (STUPID STUPID STUPID.) Good news is it's a cheap 100$ phone, bad news is that if I don't get it back, I now have to make the decision of whether or not to report it to his probation officer. If I do, he goes to prison for the maximum amount of time, and I get more pissed because he's an rear end in a top hat for putting me in this situation to begin with.

But I'm bitching and don't want to derail. So, yeah.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Right now I'm using SwipePad as my task switcher - swipe in from the bottom of the screen, better than long pressing home in my use - but I'm wondering if there's anything better at it out there.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

ante posted:

Android 4.0 closed a security hole that allowed apps to automatically start up after being OTA installed, which is what Plan B relied on.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

MikeJF posted:

Right now I'm using SwipePad as my task switcher - swipe in from the bottom of the screen, better than long pressing home in my use - but I'm wondering if there's anything better at it out there.

Are you stuck on Gingerbread?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

Are you stuck on Gingerbread?

No? I'm on 4.1.2. I just like swiping up and releasing on a program. A more natural gesture than holding the home hardbutton (GS3) and then moving to what you want.

Dr Blah PhD
Aug 11, 2007
Property of tithin
Well speaking of anti theft apps, how is "Prey". I installed it on my razr m, but I didnt do anything fancy except just set up an account and make a password to uninstall it. I didnt install software on my PC, but I dont know how beneficial that is.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

MikeJF posted:

No? I'm on 4.1.2. I just like swiping up and releasing on a program. A more natural gesture than holding the home hardbutton (GS3) and then moving to what you want.

LMT's pretty cool. It's basically a non-rom-dependent version of ParanoidAndroid's PIE. It's more of a Navbar replacement but I like it because I can trigger the notification and quick settings menus from the side where my thumb can actually reach.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Skywalker OG posted:

LMT's pretty cool. It's basically a non-rom-dependent version of ParanoidAndroid's PIE. It's more of a Navbar replacement but I like it because I can trigger the notification and quick settings menus from the side where my thumb can actually reach.

Oh, hey, that's pretty awesome. I'll stick with SwipePad for multitask shifting, just 'cos I can see recent apps and then pick one in a single swipe without lifting my finger (the only other thing I've seen that can do something like that is WaveLauncher), but I might use LMT for something else.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Skywalker OG posted:

Only bad thing about it is that it requires root for pretty much anything but the recent apps switcher. The official explanation is that it needs it for things like menu key or back key, but for whatever reason it'll also require it to launch any apps.

Still, it's not bad I suppose.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Not that I've found. I've said it before and I'll say it again, swipepad rules. Yeah, the recent apps button is nice, but being able to quickly access widgets and shortcuts is so handy. My personal favorite is having an sms quick compose shortcut, so I can send a text at any time, without having to leave where I'm at.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

MikeJF posted:

Oh, hey, that's pretty awesome. I'll stick with SwipePad for multitask shifting, just 'cos I can see recent apps and then pick one in a single swipe without lifting my finger (the only other thing I've seen that can do something like that is WaveLauncher), but I might use LMT for something else.

How do you use SwipePad for multitasking as opposed to just launching a set collection of apps? Is there a plugin or something I didn't notice?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Is there a recommended app for keeping track of food expiration dates, preferably with reminder functionality? I've found a few on the Play Store but they all look/feel pretty janky.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

hooah posted:

How do you use SwipePad for multitasking as opposed to just launching a set collection of apps? Is there a plugin or something I didn't notice?

There's a 'recent apps' add-on pad, yeah.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

This seems promising.

I'm going to quote the XDA article on it:

XDA posted:

Cloud based services such as Google Music can be a major convenience for those with a large collection of music and limited storage space. This author, for example, can barely remember what it was like not being able to access his entire library from anywhere with a half decent Internet connection. The only complaint that myself and some other creatures of habit have, is that we can’t simply access these files via the music player we’ve been using for so long and become so accustomed to. Cue XDA Senior Member bubbleguuum and his application, GMusicFS.

The idea is simple, GMusicFS allows you to stop using the official Google Music player and mount your library on the device as a FUSE file system. This means that the tracks are visible to most regular music players as files stored locally, and can simply be played back as if they were sitting there taking up space on your SD card. There’s no guarantee that this will work with your particular music player of choice, although most popular players seem to be covered.

You will need root access and a kernel that supports FUSE, but that shouldn’t be a problem for anybody running 4.0 and above. It also goes without saying (yet here I am saying it) that you will need to have some tracks uploaded to Google Music. The application is still in beta stage, so expect bugs and the possibility of having to fiddle around a little, but I’m sure you’ll agree that for anybody who streams a lot of music from the cloud, that’s going to be time well spent.

Check out the original application thread for more information.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
The same principle has been working in his BubbleUPnP, where you could stream Google Music to your DLNA enabled amplifier using your phone as a control point.
I've been using it for a while, where my phone is the remote, the music is stored at Google Music, and my Denon amp playes it.
Works like a charm, except my amp can't handle gapless playback, which bubbleguum has enabled as an experimental feature.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

This is swell! Got it working on my tablet and my phone, playing Google Music through Poweramp.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

az jan jananam posted:

This is swell! Got it working on my tablet and my phone, playing Google Music through Poweramp.

Does it work with pinned music too? Playing it off the device instead of trying to stream it

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

This is fantastic, working flawlessly with PowerAmp for me. Needing to remount after loading the music App is slightly annoying but I can live with it.

baka kaba posted:

Does it work with pinned music too? Playing it off the device instead of trying to stream it

Not yet but apparently it's on the todo list.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
What's the best app people have found for video playback? I remember one being mentioned a few pages ago, but can't find it now.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ScarletBrother posted:

What's the best app people have found for video playback? I remember one being mentioned a few pages ago, but can't find it now.

I've had good luck with MX Player.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I've had good luck with MX Player.

Yeah, MX Player is pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

MX and DICE are usually the recommended two good choices.

• Locked thread