Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

sebmojo posted:

Yes there is, use the app in this thread.

It works ok, but cutscenes sometimes blank out and go flat grey for a bit which is less than ideal. I'm considering putting TR aside until the issues are fixed.

Thanks, I'm giving it a try. Maybe I'll wait too though, but last word from Nvidia was that it might take a while to fix this since it apparently requires a driver and game update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Reveilled posted:

Scottish people do though! Maybe she went to live with Grim for a bit as a kid.

Maybe she's like James Bond, Scottish, but went to... whatever the girls' version of Eton is... so lost the accent.

Stalgren
Mar 22, 2006

Charizard Go!
I really like the game but it just didn't feel Tomb Raider like to me. I dunno what it was. It just didn't feel like it had as many exotic breathtaking locations as other games did, tombs seemed mostly pointless as did the gps things unless they did something I am not aware of.

I like how at the end she finally used two pistols at once, I was worried they were going to leave that out in the reboot and it made me smile to see they didn't forget

It's left me craving more though and I hope it doesn't take them too long to make the next game because I really love these games and am a big tomb raider fan. Guess I can replay through the first 8 again in the meantime :v:

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I can't wait to see how they follow this up with TR2, especially if they skip ahead a bit to a seasoned Lara ala original Tomb Raider.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So I seem to be retarded and can't figure out on the PC version what button they want me to press to use the rope ascender upgrade. I wish they would just put the keypress they want you to hit rather than whatever it is they thought they were going to accomplish with the symbols.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
There should be a button mapping option in the menu, it'll tell you all the controls(and you can change them if you want).

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
Hold down the use button, usually e, like your would for lighting or burning things with your torch.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Dan Didio posted:

There's some pretty gruelling fights after that. Two or three fights that have a similar level of action being thrown at you at once. Although you have more tools for managing them at that point.
Thanks. Although I just noticed there's no achievements tied to difficulty so I think I may just drop to Normal so I don't give myself a heart attack.

Systems_Id
Feb 16, 2005

LEFT CHEEK! LEFT CHEEK! LEFT CHEEK!
Even in game, Lara's facial animation is insanely good.

sc0ttmst
Nov 23, 2010
I know I can dream, but I would love to see the original Tomb Raider and Tomb Raider 2 re-done with this style of gameplay.

Heck, I just want to see a remake of Tomb Raider 2, period. Maybe for the 20th anniversary? Please, please, please, please, please!

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

SpazmasterX posted:

Ughhhh why can't there be one loving post-apocalyptic game that doesn't have zombies in some capacity? It's just so drat lazy.

The zombie in Last of Us are mushroom zombies though, which I think is rad. I haven't see any other game take that sort of bent to the zombie theme.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Just bought this game for the PC after I saw that my computer met the recommended specs. Never really played a Tomb Raider game before this though so I am excited. I can always use more Indiana Jones-esqu Adventure games in my life.

Is the PC version good or did I just make a HUGE mistake?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It seems really good. Runs a lot better than I thought it would on my computer.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

BigRed0427 posted:

Just bought this game for the PC after I saw that my computer met the recommended specs. Never really played a Tomb Raider game before this though so I am excited. I can always use more Indiana Jones-esqu Adventure games in my life.

It's the same people that did the Human Revolution port, so it comes from a pretty good pedigree. There does seem to be some smattering of video card problems and some small UI issues, though.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Hey, there aren't even any crossbows in this game!

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

BigRed0427 posted:

What vid card to you have? If you have a Radeon, enjoy everything full blast. GeForce? Welp, looks like you'll be waiting a month to play with some of the best effects.

Overall, it's a good port, though I'd still recommend using a 360 controller. It's by far one of the prettiest games out right now if you can get everything working, and TressFX is going to be a major gamechanger for future gaming hair particle effects once they get the kinks worked out. The game itself is totally worth it, moreso with the PC graphics boost that you won't get on consoles. It just sucks that Squeenix and Nvidia politics and misinformation hurt the gamers and the game's reputation for the silliest reasons.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Axel Serenity posted:

What vid card to you have? If you have a Radeon, enjoy everything full blast. GeForce? Welp, looks like you'll be waiting a month to play with some of the best effects.

It seems to be affecting 600 series cards the most. I have a 560 Ti and I can play on their ultra default except for shadow resolution being set to normal instead of high.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'm on a 460 and it's good on med/high settings... though post processing doesn't work without another app and the fps is inexplicably variable (feels like a memory leak, will hopefully be fixed in a patch). Still very handsome though

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Axel Serenity posted:

Overall, it's a good port, though I'd still recommend using a 360 controller.
I was doing this until the first Shantytown fight on Hard difficulty which took me 4 minutes with a kb/m after failing for 30 minutes with a controller. YMMV.

As for the PC port, I'm running on Normal gfx settings on a laptop (i5, HD5000) connected to my HDTV and it looks glorious. Great port.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

"Hey thanks for risking your life to save me helicopter pilot, lets go get my forgettable friends! "

"we're all gonna die if we do that"

"Do it anyways. I'm too cool to try and get proper help. (puts gun to pilots head)"

Helicopter blows up and everyone dies except Laura. Also, once again we have no way of getting off the Rook islands.

Good job LC you are a hero!

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

"Hey thanks for risking your life to save me helicopter pilot, lets go get my forgettable friends! "

"Do it anyways. I'm too cool to try and get proper help. (puts gun to pilots head)"

Helicopter blows up and everyone dies except Laura. Also, once again we have no way of getting off the Rook islands.

There was that whole 'the storms are going to take the helicopter down' thing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Didn't they mainly take it down because she insisted on landing though?

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

The helicopter went down because the storms blew it out of the sky. Lara didn't want to leave her friends AND didn't want to die in a storm induced helicopter crash. Luckily she had plot armor on.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
And she actually did die in the crash, but she got resuscitated. I think that was pretty much the only time she needed a rescue in the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

No, "No one leaves" remember? It took it down because it was a working vehicle. They only survived at all because she tried to force him down.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

They should of had the wreckage of like a dozen cruiseships to explore and to explain where the 2000 dudes came from.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
For anyone who's using the borderless window app: are you getting a grey screen every time you take damage? It only seems to happen when I use the app. I really wish I could get post-processing working like this, but having no vision whenever I get hit kind of kills it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hikaki posted:

For anyone who's using the borderless window app: are you getting a grey screen every time you take damage? It only seems to happen when I use the app. I really wish I could get post-processing working like this, but having no vision whenever I get hit kind of kills it.

Yep. And in some cutscenes.

:smith:

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

sebmojo posted:

Yep. And in some cutscenes.

:smith:

Man that sucks. I've actually gone through almost the whole game without knowing about this bug. I should have lived in ignorant bliss instead of reading this thread.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

NESguerilla posted:

How did you miss basically the most important (and repeatedly stated) plot point of the entire game?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bubble-T posted:

How did you miss basically the most important (and repeatedly stated) plot point of the entire game?

I dunno may be I zoned out too much/took a piss during one of the stupid cut scenes.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Although not the story isn't greatest thing ever, one thing I do like is that Lara doesn't spend the entire game being told by someone else where to go or what the objective is, she spends a fair amount of time doing things on her own judgement and initiative.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!
Small patch just came out

Patch Log posted:

We have just made public a new version of the PC version of Tomb Raider, build 1.0.718.4. This patch will be applied by Steam automatically when you next start the game. If your game does not update, please restart the Steam client.

This update addresses a variety of issues that we either found out about shortly before release or immediately after.

Fixes include:

- Addressed some stability and startup issues on machines that have both Intel and NVIDIA graphics hardware.
- Fix for players being unable to progress related to the boat in the beach area.
- Some fixes for crashes on startup and when selecting Options.
- Some small improvements to TressFX hair rendering.
- Fixes for various graphics glitches, including certain effects not being visible in fullscreen mode.
- Fixed a problem that caused some users to not be able to use exclusive fullscreen.
- Added support for separate mouse/gamepad inversion for aiming, as well as support for x-axis inversion.
- Fixes related to the benchmark scene and benchmark mode.
- Various other small fixes.

Attention Horse fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Mar 9, 2013

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Sakurazuka posted:

Although not the story isn't greatest thing ever, one thing I do like is that Lara doesn't spend the entire game being told by someone else where to go or what the objective is, she spends a fair amount of time doing things on her own judgement and initiative.

Yeah, but she doesn't figure out the insanely obvious "twist" until like right at the end. Which felt really out of character to me - she should have realized it the first time you end up in the monastery thing.

The plot itself is kind of crap, but what it has going for it is: it doesn't kill the minority characters (even if they are pretty stereotypical) and makes Lara an actual strong character. I think a lot of people don't realize how crap the plot is because the animation for Lara in particular is fantastic. And her voice actress is pretty good, orgasmic screams notwithstanding.

Though for all the talk about how she was going to be less hot and less curvy...she's still super hot and has huge boobs. But I guess you have to keep something familiar about Lara Croft.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
Why the hell did my invert Y axis setting suddenly stop working when i've got an arrow pulled back.

edit: oh, part of the patch made a SEPARATE setting for aiming? and it doesn't default to the current invert Y axis setting you've already chosen? Oh yeah, that isn't going to cause issues. :rolleyes:

Belan
May 7, 2007
I had no idea this game had a blood on the screen effect before, thanks patch!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Belan posted:

I had no idea this game had a blood on the screen effect before, thanks patch!
Being no fan of these stuff-on-camera-lens effects in games nowadays, I liked that lack of blood :)

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Maybe she's like James Bond, Scottish, but went to... whatever the girls' version of Eton is... so lost the accent.

She does sound scarily like some of the girls I knew from various girls boarding schools (such as Wycombe Abbey), in a certain "cruising the King's Road while not enunciating very well" kind of way.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I like the new TressFX parts of the patch. Her hair seems a little less weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Finished it with 97% completion, Steam thinks it took me 11 hours, but it seemed like longer to me. Definitely my favourite game of the year so far (MGR would have been ahead if it hadn't been so short and obviously done on a smaller budget and timeframe than it needed).

Lara really should have figured out what was going on earlier but when you're not used to supernatural shenanigans, 'Oh, they're obviously transferring her soul' possibly isn't the first thing you'd think.

And, oh, hey, stuff gets splashed on the screen now, the dirt after explosions is a pretty cool effect but kinda made it harder to see what was going on.

• Locked thread