Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

BANME.sh posted:

I got them developed and scanned at London Drugs, and paid a couple bucks extra for the "premium" high res scans. The files are roughly 6000x4000 pixels, but at full zoom they look extremely pixelated. Is this standard fare for labs such as this? Would love to hear from somebody who has used London Drugs specifically.

I think they most likely don't understand the limitations of their scanner. They're selling you scans that are ~4000dpi but were probably 2000dpi or 2400dpi optically and interpolated up to 4000dpi. That's one way to make them look like they do. The original scans might have EXIF data identifying the scanner used. That's where I'd start googling to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Thanks again for the developing tips on my mishap, they turned out alright.

Has anyone developed Tri-X @ 3200 before using HC-110? I'm not seeing any times on digital truth. Dilution B at 2400 shows 16 min. If I went up to ~25 min would that be about right or is that pushing it?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

pootiebigwang posted:

Has anyone developed Tri-X @ 3200 before using HC-110? I'm not seeing any times on digital truth. Dilution B at 2400 shows 16 min. If I went up to ~25 min would that be about right or is that pushing it?

I haven't done exactly that, but I have done Tri-X at 6400 in Ilfotec HC, which is comparable to HC-110. But heck if I can remember the time I used. (Probably 15 or 16 minutes in 1+15 dilution.)
However 2400 is just 1/3 stop less than 3200, so I'd think 25 minutes would be excessive if you base it off that time. Try 18 minutes.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I developed Tri-X at 3200 with HC110 - I think my solution was 1:9 or 1:10, and about 12 minutes, agitating every other minute.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

You can also try doing semi-stand, maybe 2 hours with 1+100, agitating every 20 minutes. (That would probably give less contrasty negatives than a "fast" development to high speed otherwise would.)

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

pootiebigwang posted:

Thanks again for the developing tips on my mishap, they turned out alright.

I've had decent results using 1:100 dilution semi-stand for 2 hours, maybe 1 inversion every 10 minutes or so. It's time consuming, but it definitely looked better than shorter development times with higher concentrates.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I ended up getting a refund for those lovely scans. The lady who I was talking to seemed to understand the problem (she opened up one of the scans on their computer and I pointed out the problem). Doubt it'll have any benefit for future customers, though.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Anyone here pushed hp5+ to 3200/6400? I've a few rolls of film lying around that I know were massively underexposed, but kept around anyway, and seeing as I need new developer I reckon I might as well get microphen and go for it. Unless anyone suggests another dev. I'm kind of interested in rodinal + stand developing, but I'm not so sure about the results being great.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'm not really that fond of Microphen. It does the job, but you may just as well use a highly concentrated liquid developer like HC110 or Rodinal. Microphen is one-shot as well, but you have more freedom in varying development speed vs. grain with the liquid ones.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013
Rodinal and stand development is probably your best bet. Unlike Ilford's Delta line, HP5+ doesn't take well to being pushed, so you'll want to develop as slowly as possible to smooth out the grain and tonality.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

LFK posted:

Rodinal and stand development is probably your best bet. Unlike Ilford's Delta line, HP5+ doesn't take well to being pushed, so you'll want to develop as slowly as possible to smooth out the grain and tonality.

Really? I've pushed Hp5+ to 800 and 1600 before with no problems at all, it's just with the extra stops I figured I'd ask first.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

LFK posted:

I've shot HP5 at 3200 lots of times using both HC-110 and XTOL.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

The Clit Avoider posted:

Really? I've pushed Hp5+ to 800 and 1600 before with no problems at all, it's just with the extra stops I figured I'd ask first.
The huge caveat would be that I've never really been satisfied with any of my own high-ISO film photography, possibly because I find the negatives frustrating to print from, and that undoubtedly colours my opinion of how well I feel HP5+ pushes. To my eye the contrast degrades so rapidly when pushing HP5+ that the images start to look like halftones.

I also won't deny the possibility that I'm just a screwup.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Dilmaghani Rugs, NY by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

portra 400 w/ 6x12 back

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
If you're stand developing in 1+100 rodinal and going for a really excessive push, I'd try it for 1.5-2hrs rather than the usual 1hr. And if it's 120 film, dilute it down to1+125 as well.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Cheers Spedman, it is indeed 120 film. I think I will try both HC-110 and Rodinal seeing as I have more than the one roll. That'll sort me for developer for a while too.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

BANME.sh posted:

I ended up getting a refund for those lovely scans. The lady who I was talking to seemed to understand the problem (she opened up one of the scans on their computer and I pointed out the problem). Doubt it'll have any benefit for future customers, though.

Hey, at least they gave you the refund. That puts them ahead in my book - willingness to cop to a mistake is worth a lot to me. There's a London Drugs here I might let play with a couple of rolls, I'll get them to provide scans because now I'm curious if they have a premium scan that's actually worth it.

Genderfluid posted:

Dilmaghani Rugs, NY by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

portra 400 w/ 6x12 back

I like this, rather a lot. What camera? (If you talked about it in the MF & LF thread, I'll just go there).

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I'm going in the rain with a camera full of Rollei Ortho 25 tomorrow. Anything I should know about this stuff?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

atomicthumbs posted:

I'm going in the rain with a camera full of Rollei Ortho 25 tomorrow. Anything I should know about this stuff?

It doesn't see red, so if you happen to shoot any people it'll really bring out the fine lines in their faces, it's a great film with nearly zero grain.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Spedman posted:

If you're stand developing in 1+100 rodinal and going for a really excessive push, I'd try it for 1.5-2hrs rather than the usual 1hr. And if it's 120 film, dilute it down to1+125 as well.

Why do you dilute further for 120? There's still the same surface area with the same emulsion exposed to the same chemicals, it doesn't seem like you'd want to just arbitrarily change the concentration of the developer.

But yeah, Rodinal is 1:30 at +1 and 2h at +2 in my experience.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

Why do you dilute further for 120? There's still the same surface area with the same emulsion exposed to the same chemicals, it doesn't seem like you'd want to just arbitrarily change the concentration of the developer.

When I first started doing stand development some guy over at the rangefinder forum did an effort post about the topic and found that he got better results at 1:125 with 120 film, using the same process times as he did with 1:100 for 35mm. I think what he was trying to do was use the same amount of developer for both the film sizes, as 120 film needs a greater volume of solution in the tank. This means the same film area exhausts the same volume of Rodinal, at least that was my understanding of it.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
Where is everybody buying expired film these days? I used to see slightly expired stuff at B&H and such but it's never the deep discounted couple years old stuff. Local craigslist is a bust. Ebay didn't return any results but maybe I'm not doing it right.

A picture for your time:

Untitled by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cool pic, genuinely thought they were buildings.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

voodoorootbeer posted:

Where is everybody buying expired film these days? I used to see slightly expired stuff at B&H and such but it's never the deep discounted couple years old stuff. Local craigslist is a bust. Ebay didn't return any results but maybe I'm not doing it right.

A picture for your time:

Untitled by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Deals can be had on ebay but not nearly as many as a few years ago. Now every thing is "rare", "lomo" and priced accordingly.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I buy all my expired film from my dealer 8th-samurai.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
I film speculate sell poo poo at a loss after storing it in my freezer for two years.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
How do I get in on this action?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

QPZIL posted:

How do I get in on this action?

Accept the Pentax ME Super as your Lord and Savior. Or threaten to send 8th-samurai an N5005.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Don't... tempt me pseudonordic! I dare not take it. Not even to keep it safe. Understand, pseudonordic. I would use the Pentax ME Super from a desire to do good... But through me, it would wield a power too great and terrible to imagine.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Hey the only expired stuff left in my freezer is some Kodachrome and ten sheets of Ektachrome that expired in '99. Oh and the 20 rolls of Portra 100T that I am hoarding.....FOREVER.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
My local camera shop gave me this yesterday:

For freeeeeeeeee. Been in their fridge for god knows how long, expired between 97-2007. I didn't even know a 1600 speed slide film even existed. Totally made my day though.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

QPZIL posted:

Don't... tempt me pseudonordic! I dare not take it. Not even to keep it safe. Understand, pseudonordic. I would use the Pentax ME Super from a desire to do good... But through me, it would wield a power too great and terrible to imagine.

That's what I do with my ME Super. :feelsgood:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

:')

1600 slide is crazy, please post results when you shoot it.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I shot some expired 1600 fuji super HG film. At 1200.

It was still underexposed :negative:

1600superhg050.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

1600superhg043.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 9, 2013

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Mr. Despair posted:

I shot some expired 1600 fuji super HG film. At 1200.

It was still underexposed :negative:

1600superhg043.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

This turned out pretty good I think.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Santa is strapped posted:

This turned out pretty good I think.

Thanks, a large portion of the roll wound up like this though (camera is apparently finicky about loading spooling the film)

1600superhg057.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

1600superhg061.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

And just posting the rest

1600superhg051.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

1600superhg053.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

1600superhg056.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Mr. Despair posted:

Thanks, a large portion of the roll wound up like this though (camera is apparently finicky about loading spooling the film)

that's pretty awesome

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Mr. Despair posted:

Looks pretty cool. I should try spooling my 6x9 folder too little some time.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Really the worst part was the foot of unused film at the end of the roll. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Look man, I was drunk when bought that 1600 film on ebay. Looks like I should shoot the two or three rolls I have left at 800. :negative: