Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

MisterOblivious posted:

Idiots still fly plex around in shuttes; here's a $730 kill from earlier today.

There may have been only 18 titans killed when you heard that stat but zkillboard lists 162 killed since August 2011.

Are you loving making GBS threads me? I mean it's been a few years since I played, I think I probably quit sometime around March 2011 after playing for 2 years, but 162?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees

Jastiger posted:

I have to ask, who were you in ole Fennin Ro?

Everquest was where I coined the name Dexanth! Although around PoP or so, one of my friends took over the account for a while and was in TMO for a time, not sure how long that was, but pre-PoP I had many many hundreds of hours whiled away on my High Elven Enchanter.

Everquest had many flaws, but it also had GM events - these days, special events in something like WoW are all scripted heavily months in advance and are usually seasonal holidays. Not so in Everquest - for these, GMs would actually possess NPCs, and lead players on some sort of unscripted roleplay adventure. They might show up as a pixie wanting everyone to kill ALL THE BEES for their honeycombs, or there might be another GM-controlled NPC who was the main target, or any number of things.

I sadly was never front & center for any of these, at least none that have memorable stories, but I am sure they existed and would encourage any good GM-event griefs to come forward.

Perhaps the easiest grief in Everquest was training - and this one happened unintentionally all the time. You see, at least in early EQ, mobs generally never wiped aggro. If you aggro'd something, it would chase you until you were dead, it was dead, or you changed zones. Well, this isn't such a big deal for neutral monsters - but in any dungeon, pretty much everything was Kill-On-Sight; you got within aggro radius, you ended up on its hate list. Furthermore, as I recall, monsters had the ability to share aggro-tables with one another; if Monster A was pissed at players B, C, and D, and ran past Monster B, Monster B learned to hate them too.

This led to two different instances of hilarity, both known as trains (Because the first monster was basically the engine, and each other monster who it shared tables with one joined up like cars on a train).

Case A was the simple train to the zone boundary - Player A is in over his head, brings a massive group of enemies to the zone exit and leaves. The monsters immediately snap aggro onto everyone sitting at the entrance. Anyone not prepared to flee more or less dies instantly. Since dungeons in Everquest were generally mazelike and it was very easy to end up in a no-win situation, this happened fairly frequently; generally what stopped a train from hitting the exit was the monsters killing the player attempting to flee.

Case B was far funnier. This was where a single monster ran past your party chasing someone and you didn't notice him. You still ended up on his hate list, and as he chased said player he gathered lots of friends. So your group was going about their business, blissfully unaware that anything out of the ordinary was going on when suddenly two dozen undead frogs came charging out of a passageway at your party and you all died within five seconds.

Lower Guk & Old Sebilis were dungeons in the original game / first xpac which were infamous for this happening multiple times per hour, because they had a very high enemy density. There really was only one line of defense against this, which was to hide and not get seen. Otherwise, your only hope was the Enchanter, because Enchanters were the gods of crowd control; if they were prepared, there was a slim chance that those two dozen monsters could be simultaneously locked down in permastun, allowing your group to take them down.

Far more often you all simply died horribly and if you were lucky had a rogue who could sneak to your bodies and bring them back for everyone. Getting back to a wipe point while the 6 of you were naked was not a pleasant experience.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I have fond(?) memories of my low-level Barbarian fleeing desperately into the outskirts of Queynos to get away from the Blackburrow Express.

VVV Titans seem to range from 70 - 100 Billion. It probably costs about $30 per billion if you do it with PLEX, so figure that a dead Titan is around $2,000 - 3,000 worth of real money VVV

(though I doubt many titans are funded in this manner)

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Mar 9, 2013

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Just out of curiosity, what's the real world value of a Titan? Something retarded?

So as I'm not derailing the thread, some of us in Dust 514 have taken to trying to destroy our teammate's equipment. I managed to take out a tank with a free jeep by ramming it at high speeds at just the right time, and the driver raged. He raged so hard he got on the mic for 5 minutes just to yell at me. He went out of his way to join my chat channel and bitch at me for the entire rest of the game. He claimed that he was going to "Glass planets in EVE just to kill cock suckers like you" and that he was going to put a bounty on my head. I still haven't seen it though.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I love "RE: RE: RE: really? rear end".

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

MisterOblivious posted:

Idiots still fly plex around in shuttes; here's a $730 kill from earlier today.

There may have been only 18 titans killed when you heard that stat but zkillboard lists 162 killed since August 2011.
Can somebody explain why you would transport PLEX in the first place? I don't see why you'd ever have it leave the station it was generated at. Get your character and the one you want to trade with in the same station, cause some to exist, hand it over, they redeem it, trade over. :confused:

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Renzuko posted:

poo poo that might have almost happened.txt?

my brother died TONS to the rabbits in west ronfaure when he first started, but that's because he didn't pay much atention

but yeah, you can't even get the ability to have a "sub class" till your level 18, and you also can't unlock new job's until your level 30. Also, you couldn't magically be changed class, only you can change that, in your mog house.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
I might've gotten the levels and terminology wrong on a game I played for a few days eleven years ago, but I remember those rabbits killing me and the gear I could no longer use clear as day. Maybe I was dumb and bad at the game or whatever; I thought the story of my rage and misfortune might be fun to read. I'm sorry my hazy recollection wasn't believable enough for you.

The next-closest thing I have to a griefing story like that the story of my first PvP 'victory' in vanilla WoW. I was playing a Rogue and was happily stealthing around and grinding mobs when I see a higher level melee-class guy (warrior, I think) off in the distance. I'm engaged in combat with a mob, and therefore pretty much screwed. I'm lower level, at low health from fighting a monster, unable to stealth (vanish was still on cooldown and I didn't have blind mapped to a button 'cause I'm an idiot) and generally not a great player. Just as I manage to kill the monster, he charges me. I survive the initial few seconds of damage the take a few weak stabs at him and panic. I head for a huge cliff and jump off, hoping that he won't pursue me but he's got the scent of blood and follows suit. Unfortunately for him, I was one of the few people in vanilla WoW who had the engineering profession - halfway down I pop my parachute cloak and float to safety as he craters below. I didn't even expect to get credit for the kill, but for a long time that was the only pvp kill I had.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Sammus posted:

Just out of curiosity, what's the real world value of a Titan? Something retarded?

So as I'm not derailing the thread, some of us in Dust 514 have taken to trying to destroy our teammate's equipment. I managed to take out a tank with a free jeep by ramming it at high speeds at just the right time, and the driver raged. He raged so hard he got on the mic for 5 minutes just to yell at me. He went out of his way to join my chat channel and bitch at me for the entire rest of the game. He claimed that he was going to "Glass planets in EVE just to kill cock suckers like you" and that he was going to put a bounty on my head. I still haven't seen it though.

Oh god, out of curiosity I just looked at Dust 514 to see how exactly it's supposed to interact with EVE.

Does it actually do this sort of stuff well? Because if it does this sounds amazing, and I imagine some nice cross-game griefing stories might result from this.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Zereth posted:

Can somebody explain why you would transport PLEX in the first place? I don't see why you'd ever have it leave the station it was generated at. Get your character and the one you want to trade with in the same station, cause some to exist, hand it over, they redeem it, trade over. :confused:

If you want to transfer money from one character to another without leaving a paper trail (remembering that espionage is a big fat deal in this game), the only way to do it is to buy PLEX on the character with the money, have him leave it in a can somewhere in space, then have the other character come take it out of the can, bring it back to a station, and sell it. Trading items directly in a station will still show up in your transaction history, which could lead to interesting questions like why your 'clean' account was funded by a member of a rival alliance. As far as I am aware this is literally the only reason you should ever think about undocking with Plex, but it can be done in a reasonably safe manner by people who aren't idiots.

Which is to say, people dying with Plex in their holds is a fairly regular occurrence.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

Oh man, fun poo poo. I played EQ from '99 until around 2004, almost entirely on the Tallon Zek (PVP Teams) server. I started out as a Dark Elf enchanter, but soon found out that I hated grinding out levels and high end content, and that enchanters were absolute poo poo at PVP. So I started up a halfling rogue (Samgamgee, hurr) and basically traded my level ~45 enchanter's gear for rogue equipment.

After getting up to level 12 or so I, thanks to a higher level friend, got the dark elf mask from the ghoul assassin in LGuk and did some faction quests in Neriak. My base of operations settled, I then proceeded to terrorize the newbie log in Nektulos forest for months and months. To the extent that years later high level dark elves would message me saying how much they hated me way back when.

When killing level 8 ogres for their 3 platinum got boring I leveled up to 30 something and started the same thing over again, this time in HHK. I would start fights, and if they went badly I'd run to the top of the keep and leap off. There was a little ledge I could hit, bandage myself up, and taunt my victims through /shout.

EverQuest was a stupid, magical, life-wasting game. (My SA account is my old EQ character's name backward if any of you guys were on TZ and remember a lowbie enchanter named Sanelyan.)

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Cleretic posted:

Oh god, out of curiosity I just looked at Dust 514 to see how exactly it's supposed to interact with EVE.

Does it actually do this sort of stuff well? Because if it does this sounds amazing, and I imagine some nice cross-game griefing stories might result from this.

Not yet, it's only version 0.7 and still in beta. But CCP has painted a pretty impressive vision of the future, and if it works it's going to be awesome.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Cleretic posted:

Apparently goons in Dust are trying to run it into the ground as hard and fast as possible to convince CCP to expand it to PC. If it ends up on PC I'm definitely joining the swarm again to gently caress with pubbies in an actual fun game as opposed to spreadsheets and ship spinning online.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dexanth posted:

Everquest was where I coined the name Dexanth! Although around PoP or so, one of my friends took over the account for a while and was in TMO for a time, not sure how long that was, but pre-PoP I had many many hundreds of hours whiled away on my High Elven Enchanter.

Everquest had many flaws, but it also had GM events - these days, special events in something like WoW are all scripted heavily months in advance and are usually seasonal holidays. Not so in Everquest - for these, GMs would actually possess NPCs, and lead players on some sort of unscripted roleplay adventure. They might show up as a pixie wanting everyone to kill ALL THE BEES for their honeycombs, or there might be another GM-controlled NPC who was the main target, or any number of things.

I sadly was never front & center for any of these, at least none that have memorable stories, but I am sure they existed and would encourage any good GM-event griefs to come forward.

Perhaps the easiest grief in Everquest was training - and this one happened unintentionally all the time. You see, at least in early EQ, mobs generally never wiped aggro. If you aggro'd something, it would chase you until you were dead, it was dead, or you changed zones. Well, this isn't such a big deal for neutral monsters - but in any dungeon, pretty much everything was Kill-On-Sight; you got within aggro radius, you ended up on its hate list. Furthermore, as I recall, monsters had the ability to share aggro-tables with one another; if Monster A was pissed at players B, C, and D, and ran past Monster B, Monster B learned to hate them too.

This led to two different instances of hilarity, both known as trains (Because the first monster was basically the engine, and each other monster who it shared tables with one joined up like cars on a train).

Case A was the simple train to the zone boundary - Player A is in over his head, brings a massive group of enemies to the zone exit and leaves. The monsters immediately snap aggro onto everyone sitting at the entrance. Anyone not prepared to flee more or less dies instantly. Since dungeons in Everquest were generally mazelike and it was very easy to end up in a no-win situation, this happened fairly frequently; generally what stopped a train from hitting the exit was the monsters killing the player attempting to flee.

Case B was far funnier. This was where a single monster ran past your party chasing someone and you didn't notice him. You still ended up on his hate list, and as he chased said player he gathered lots of friends. So your group was going about their business, blissfully unaware that anything out of the ordinary was going on when suddenly two dozen undead frogs came charging out of a passageway at your party and you all died within five seconds.

Lower Guk & Old Sebilis were dungeons in the original game / first xpac which were infamous for this happening multiple times per hour, because they had a very high enemy density. There really was only one line of defense against this, which was to hide and not get seen. Otherwise, your only hope was the Enchanter, because Enchanters were the gods of crowd control; if they were prepared, there was a slim chance that those two dozen monsters could be simultaneously locked down in permastun, allowing your group to take them down.

Far more often you all simply died horribly and if you were lucky had a rogue who could sneak to your bodies and bring them back for everyone. Getting back to a wipe point while the 6 of you were naked was not a pleasant experience.

No way, hah. I am pretty sure I remember you then. I was thinking a HE Caster of some sort when i saw your name. Small world after all. I was Jastiger, same as my SA account here. TMO was the supposed "upright" guild at the time if I remember correctly. No way I could ever get in, no way.

Naylenas posted:

Oh man, fun poo poo. I played EQ from '99 until around 2004, almost entirely on the Tallon Zek (PVP Teams) server. I started out as a Dark Elf enchanter, but soon found out that I hated grinding out levels and high end content, and that enchanters were absolute poo poo at PVP. So I started up a halfling rogue (Samgamgee, hurr) and basically traded my level ~45 enchanter's gear for rogue equipment.

After getting up to level 12 or so I, thanks to a higher level friend, got the dark elf mask from the ghoul assassin in LGuk and did some faction quests in Neriak. My base of operations settled, I then proceeded to terrorize the newbie log in Nektulos forest for months and months. To the extent that years later high level dark elves would message me saying how much they hated me way back when.

When killing level 8 ogres for their 3 platinum got boring I leveled up to 30 something and started the same thing over again, this time in HHK. I would start fights, and if they went badly I'd run to the top of the keep and leap off. There was a little ledge I could hit, bandage myself up, and taunt my victims through /shout.

EverQuest was a stupid, magical, life-wasting game. (My SA account is my old EQ character's name backward if any of you guys were on TZ and remember a lowbie enchanter named Sanelyan.)

I was Jatiger, dark elf wizard. In Everquest, at least at the beginning, casters were ridiculously overpowered. Some casters could put on a damage shield (a shield that damaged any melee attacker per attack) and win fights that way. Classes like rogues, rangers, and any other dual weilders were essentially toast from the get go, since any time they do damage, it harms them. So I rolled up a wizard when TZ FIRST opened up, literally the first day it came online. We'd have huge wars between the evil dark elves and the goodie humans.

It's not an elaborate grief really, just a bunch of corpse camping. Humans could literally not level up near the dark elf newbie area at ALL because caster jerks like me would one or two shot them before they could get away. Similar to your post, people would roll dark elves literally to stay alive for more than a few minutes. This all changed as the server got older and the levels more spread out, but it was still a blast lauding the newbie starting items over their heads. They were worthless, but sure screwed THEM over.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

TheSpiritFox posted:

Apparently goons in Dust are trying to run it into the ground as hard and fast as possible to convince CCP to expand it to PC. If it ends up on PC I'm definitely joining the swarm again to gently caress with pubbies in an actual fun game as opposed to spreadsheets and ship spinning online.

If it comes to PC, I'll play Dust without beinga ble to stand EVE, just because it means somehow, somewhere, I'm causing pubbies tears regardless of the outcome. :allears:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Okay, fess up, which of you writes for Cracked?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I hadn't actually heard about that particular EVE grief. That is legendarily brutal. To the point where I almost feel bad for the guy.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

I would've figured Goonfleet's declaration of permanent Hulkageddon would qualify.

If you haven't heard: every ship in EVE must be built from materials mined by players. People who want to play it safe- such as people with enormous, fabulously expensive mining/cargo ships called Hulks- stick to the high-security areas of the game, where your ship will be instantly destroyed by the space police the moment you fire a shot. So you can still blow somebody up; you just need to have the ability to do a huge amount of damage in a single shot. Unless you've got enough money to piss away on new ships and guns, though, there's little point to doing so unless you're a rich jerk who just enjoys pissing people off and pissing away lots of money to do it.

Anyway, one guy with a lot of money and a taste for mayhem declared a month of "Hulkageddon", in which players would compete to blow up Hulks in high-security space, with the high scorer getting a huge cash prize at the end. After the most recent Hulkageddon, Goonfleet announced that Hulkageddon is now permanent, and that they'd set up a bot that will just mail you a ton of money every time you kill 10 Hulks in high-sec.

The best part? Those Hulks require a mineral called technetium to build, and technetium is pretty expensive because all the technetium-producing planets are controlled by... Goonfleet. So not only are they financing a massive campaign of terror, they're making more money selling technetium to their victims than they're paying out.

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Kirby? He'll be a fry cook on Dreamland.
All this Everquest talk has reminded me of a little grief I used to do that started out as an accidental find. I'd just created my Bard and I was running around Greater Faydark killing things as you do. Most people probably know, but in Everquest, at least at the time, your spells and such would increase a skill as you used them which would make them better, so grinding out some of the skills was a good idea.

As I'm running through kiting and killing mobs with this sort of AoE fire chant that is tied to the percussion skill I run past a Nexus Scion (NPC that teleports you to a place on the moon every 15 minutes) and immediately die. The Scions at the time anyhow were rooted in place, so they wouldn't chase you down if you damaged them, after I come back to my corpse and I sit there looking through my chat log, I notice the Scion had hit me for huge damage, no surprise there, but what was surprising is that I gained percussion skill all 4 times the AoE pulsed.

Of course seeing this, I decided to abuse the hell out of it. This is where another mechanic come into play, if you heal someone that has mob agro, you also get mob agro. So I would sit afk for hours, pulsing various different attacks on the Scion and gaining skills at a very high rate, weak mobs in the area would sometime get a few hits on me before they would die, and now for the fun part.

Every 15 minutes or so, some group of people would teleport in to the spire and invariably one of them would heal or otherwise buff me, pissing off the Scion and dying instantly, sometimes taking chunks of their group with them. Another thing about the Scion is that it's agro list would only clear every 15 minutes when it refreshed itself during the teleport. Any attempt at corpse recovery was instantly met with a face collapsing punch. During most of the leveling life of my Bard and any slow day thereafter you could often find piles of corpses around various Scions around the world

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Also, you can buy Plex for somewhat cheaper than $15/Plex or whatever, since you can buy in bulk. It;s been a while but I think it's like $110/10 Plex.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

Part of my Nektulos campaign of fear involved the Leatherfoot Medic. He was a very friendly halfling that would, if mana permitted, heal any character he was more than "indifferent" with. So I'd get into a tough spot (drat Shadowknights), run off and heal up with the medic, and head back to the fight.

One occasion stands out. A friend of mine had recently purchased a high level barbarian shaman. Bored one day we both went into Lavastorm and he buffed the hell out of me, kept healing and then hiding, and so on. A mess of darkies came out from Nek to fight me. They shouted angrily about how I was cheating. I just told them that I was giving them a lesson on fighting a raid boss.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

TheSpiritFox posted:

Are you loving making GBS threads me? I mean it's been a few years since I played, I think I probably quit sometime around March 2011 after playing for 2 years, but 162?!
Before I bailed, there were significant changes made that cut back their survivability. Most notable was making it so that their guns were no longer able to hit targets smaller than a capital ship effectively, nor could their Doomsday do so. Coupled with a cut in HP and some other changes, Titans have become much easier to kill, and some alliances (Pandemic Legion) take pride in killing them as fast as possible. And there's been some hilarious losses, like earlier this year when one of Goonfleet's fleet commanders pressed Jump instead of Bridge and ended up getting his titan along with a bunch of other GF capitals and supercapitals wiped out in the largest battle EVE has ever seen. I laughed until I peed.

quote:

Apparently goons in Dust are trying to run it into the ground as hard and fast as possible to convince CCP to expand it to PC.
Sony may force CCP's hand faster than goons, now that the PS4 specs have come out. Sony has expressly made it clear that it will NOT be backwards compatible with PS3 games, though I don't know if that expends to games that are purely Playstation Network accessible like DUST.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Doodles posted:

Sony has expressly made it clear that it will NOT be backwards compatible with PS3 games, though I don't know if that expends to games that are purely Playstation Network accessible like DUST.

It'll affect any game developed specifically towards the PS3 architecture. There's nothing stopping them from porting it to the PS4 though, other than money.

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011

Doodles posted:

like earlier this year when one of Goonfleet's fleet commanders pressed Jump instead of Bridge and ended up getting his titan along with a bunch of other GF capitals and supercapitals wiped out in the largest battle EVE has ever seen.

Is there a write-up of this anywhere? It sounds hilarious but I know next to nothing about EVE.

vvvv thanks man.

Injun Greenberg fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 9, 2013

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Stargate posted:

Is there a write-up of this anywhere? It sounds hilarious but I know next to nothing about EVE.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-01-28-eve-online-when-3000-players-collide
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/01/29/one-accidental-jump-later-one-of-eves-biggest-battles/

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Pope Guilty posted:

I would've figured Goonfleet's declaration of permanent Hulkageddon would qualify.

If you haven't heard: every ship in EVE must be built from materials mined by players. People who want to play it safe- such as people with enormous, fabulously expensive mining/cargo ships called Hulks- stick to the high-security areas of the game, where your ship will be instantly destroyed by the space police the moment you fire a shot. So you can still blow somebody up; you just need to have the ability to do a huge amount of damage in a single shot. Unless you've got enough money to piss away on new ships and guns, though, there's little point to doing so unless you're a rich jerk who just enjoys pissing people off and pissing away lots of money to do it.

Anyway, one guy with a lot of money and a taste for mayhem declared a month of "Hulkageddon", in which players would compete to blow up Hulks in high-security space, with the high scorer getting a huge cash prize at the end. After the most recent Hulkageddon, Goonfleet announced that Hulkageddon is now permanent, and that they'd set up a bot that will just mail you a ton of money every time you kill 10 Hulks in high-sec.

The best part? Those Hulks require a mineral called technetium to build, and technetium is pretty expensive because all the technetium-producing planets are controlled by... Goonfleet. So not only are they financing a massive campaign of terror, they're making more money selling technetium to their victims than they're paying out.

Holy poo poo. If goons ever became members of a government or large business they would end poverty just through ridiculous stuff like this. How in the hell do they come up with this stuff?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Ringo Star Get posted:

Holy poo poo. If goons ever became members of a government or large business they would end poverty just through ridiculous stuff like this. How in the hell do they come up with this stuff?

Or being the kind of sociopathic bankers that crash the global economy and make out like bandits.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

But their friends will be well off.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Infinite Monkeys posted:

What kind of idiot bases aggro on a value assigned at character creation?

This is a page back, but maybe they were watching this at the time?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Since it's been alluded to, and partially discussed a few times, I think it's time to post about the absolute worst way Everquest griefed its players--travelling.

A Traveler's Guide to Norrath

Once you complete your newbie quests (generally based in an area just outside your starting city, and relatively safe (but not always), you generally set out to a mid-level zone somewhere on your continent to begin grinding for a while (so that you could move to actual higher level areas with actual quests). However, there wereno helpful NPCs suggesting where you should go, or questlines gently leading you in a new direction. There wereno waypoints for pointing you in the right direction. In fact, there was no in game map at all (Maybe this was added at some point later in the game, but definitely not when I was new. I vaguely recall using some sort of in-game map, but I'm not sure if it was an official feature, or a separate and dubiously-allowed app). In fact, your only way to get around was using player-made maps---the best maps were made by a single guy, hand drawn and colored, with a listing of all the important crap in the zone. Thankfully, the game provided you with the ability to get your coordinates in the zone, which you could then use to cross-reference with a map to figure out which way to go. Yes, comparing your GPS coordinates to those listed on a hand drawn map was the best way you had of navigating a new place. In my case, that feature was actually mostly used to spam my location immediately before I died in a pitch-black and unknown zone, so that I know where my corpse was.

Sidenote: Your corpse would survive like a week after you died, at which point it would decay with all of your items. If you had access to your corpse, you could either get resurrected restoring some fraction of your lost XP, with higher level spells incurring a higher cost from players to cast, or just loot your gear back. However, you could only get resurrected for 3 hours of playtime after you died, so good luck getting someone to resurrect you if you died in some unpopular zone out in the middle of nowhere. Most travelling done by players happens after they die, in which case they have to run back from wherever their respawn location is (I think you can change that?), through the same deadly zone that killed them, and to their corpse. At which point, you need to drag your corpse back to somewhere safe (I can't remember if you needed to spam the /corpse command, or just use it once and it followed you). If you died in a good group, or on a (successful) raid, you could rely on being resurrected and automatically appearing where you died, but this was usually not the case for most low level players.

Anyway, so you’re in the middle of nowhere, without a map, and you can only rely on player chat to figure out what to do. This was before the age of wikis, so knowledge was sparse, and often apocryphal. You’ve never entered a certain dungeon before, so you gotta rely on the one person who has in order to figure out which hallways are trapped, where the good spawns are, and how to avoid inevitable trains from other groups. If you die, you have to hope to god someone in your group can rez you, or at least recover your corpse (you could give another player the right to move your corpse). If not, you’d have to get a certain class (forget which one) to go to that dungeon with you and pay them to summon your corpse from within the bowels of the earth. Which was fine unless you had to fight through hell to even enter the dungeon in the first place--certain dungeons were located past multiple zones of high level enemies, or were themselves multiple zones deep, meaning that if you died in a lower zone of the dungeon, you'd need to get your naked rear end through the same upper dungeon that just required a high level group or raid to fight through, in order to even have a shot of getting your gear back.

Let’s assume, however, you’re a higher level player, and you know exactly where you need to go. For one, it would take a while. Running is slow, unless you got a druid to cast Spirit of Wolf on you and significantly increase your running speed (a few other classes could do this as well). That spell might not last your whole trip, so plan on taking a detour another city or generally popular zone in order to pay another druid to cast this spell on you. Still, it would take a while. And then you have to deal with enemies, of which there were many. Lots of zones had “safe” routes, which you had to know ahead of time, and could still have wandering enemies crossing them (or ones returned from slaughtering another player). If you had a movement spell, you might very well be able to outrun a lot of enemies…unless you ran across one that cast a root spell on you and locked you in place long enough for its friends to murder you. You could also travel in groups, or pay a guide (usually a druid or bard) to speed you up, buff you, and let you use the autofollow command on them, so they could lead you through the zone on a convoy to wherever.

There was an easier way for higher level players to get around, but it wasn’t all that great—teleporation. Later expansions would provide ways to teleport all around the world, but originally there were few shortcuts. Wizards and Druids could teleport themselves (or for druids at later levels, groups) to a fixed number of locations around the world (different ones, I think, for those classes, complicating things). Not to mention, each teleportation spell was different for each location, requiring an investment of cash to ferry people around the world (even if they were still an hour from where they wanted to go). The Luclin expansion created a small number of gates that teleported people to the moon (like 1 gate per continent), where they could access the other gates. Even still, it was slow (15 minute wait between trips), and I think it was a focal point for PVP attacks (since you had to stand around waiting for the portal). It was still safer and quicker than taking a ship, though, even if you had to run across half of a continent to get to it. The Planes of Power expansion eventually added instant teleports to another central location in MANY locations around the world, which made the spires mostly useless, and the teleportation spells completely so (well, not completely, but close enough).

This concludes a lesson on how much everquest sucked

Of course, everquest got better as new, better MMOs came out, but many of them were looking at everquest and the lessons people had learned playing it for hundreds of ours. So, in a real way, Everquest is sorta responsible for many of the streamlined, intuitive and helpful mechanics in games like WoW today. I assume, at least.

Personally, I still have fond-ish memories of dying to some unknown horror in the depths of a volcano that was (a) too high level for me and (b) required groups and people who knew all of the secrets, and then desperately running from the Halfling city, though a forest full of ludicrously powerful undead and shadowknights (one of which, I think, I had to camp for a long rear end time until a raid came along trying to kill one of these guys for a high level quest line, because one of his friends dropped an extremely-obscure mask for rogues that changes your appearance to another race. Took a lot of work cooperation to collect all of those drat rogue masks), through several more zones, finding someone to cast a spell to let me drag my corpse out of the lava, dying again in the process, but eventually succeeding in recovering my poo poo.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Mods rename this thread to "Griefing Thread: Everquest is the worst game ever" TIA.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Ringo Star Get posted:

They get it from real life: commodity speculation is a proven tactic for profiting from attacks on oil infrastructure (pipelines, plants, ships).

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
So you can be LeChiffre of Casino Royale.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

That movie was a documentary.

About me.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Really the only difference between some of the griefs in EVE and some of the poo poo that goes down in the financial sector is the amount of explosions.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

Really the only difference between some of the griefs in EVE and some of the poo poo that goes down in the financial sector is the amount of explosions.

That and there are less spread sheets in real life.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

SlothfulCobra posted:

OCCUPY JITA!

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Please talk about FFXI more. I played it for a year before there was even NPCs you could spawn and party with. The talk of how lovely it was is comforting.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Error 404 posted:

OCCUPY JITA!

I do so love how whenever CCP fucks up badly, the players start rioting and murdering every carebear (player that doesn't like PVP and focuses on being amazingly wealthy) that comes through the Jita trading hub.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

I do so love how whenever CCP fucks up badly, the players start rioting and murdering every carebear (player that doesn't like PVP and focuses on being amazingly wealthy) that comes through the Jita trading hub.

See also: the post I quoted. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

obeyasia posted:

Please talk about FFXI more. I played it for a year before there was even NPCs you could spawn and party with. The talk of how lovely it was is comforting.

Holy poo poo really? You can do that? Having to have a full party for leveling after say ... level 10-12 or so was one of the most frustrating parts. It honestly really made the community more cohesive, but if you didn't have at least 2 hours to party or so you could get hosed. I'll happily tell some more "FFXI Griefs You" stories, and I'll start with NA (No Thanks.)

So one interesting thing about FFXI is that the servers were not region-locked. So when the North American (and eventually European) releases happened, we jumped aboard the same servers the Japanese players were on. From what I remember of Japanese game forums at the time, it started out pretty awesome, with a lot of the Japanese players happy to share knowledge and be the "big brothers" of the new NA players.

Then things got weird. Apparently North American players have a very different way of playing MMO's than the Japanese players did at the time, and FFXI itself really did not help make the connection between the gaming communities. There was an auto-translator built into the game that let you translate simple phrases like "No thanks" and "Do you need it?" and in-game locations, stuff like that. When you used the auto-translator for these phrases the game would show the words in whatever language the player's client was in. This was actually very innovative at the time and I totally wish it was something that became standard for all games, but ... well, the one thing the translator couldn't help with was gaming culture. Let me give you some examples.

The funniest, and actually the stupidest conflict between JP and NA players was over an in-game command, strangely enough. Like most MMO's, FFXI had an "inspect" command that let you take a look at people's equipment. Now the game gave you a notice in your chat log when someone looked at you this way. NA players saw an innocuous phrase like "Soandso looks at you." or something like that. I don't remember the actual wording. However, when JP players were inspected, they saw something that apparently was extremely offensive to a lot of them. Kinda like "Soandso looks you up and down" or "Soandso undresses you with their eyes" or something. This touched off some amazingly stupid arguments between JP and NA players, and led to at least some Japanese players banning NA players from their parties.

Another conflict had to do with how JP and NA players viewed party composition. Before the servers were opened, apparently the way the Japanese playerbase worked was, they'd put together a party, go someplace and grind, and when anyone had to leave they'd just disband party instead of finding replacements. NA players were more "efficient" it seems, and would rotate people in and out as they had to leave, leading to things like a grand revolving door party that I healed for for over 8 hours on a weekend. This was entirely not acceptable to many JP players, and led to party bannings again.

The biggest conflict that separated the communities, however, was just the plain and understandable fact that many Japanese players were not confident in their english skills and didn't really want to deal with it in a video game, so looked only for other JP players to party with, adding into their looking for group" comments "NA (No Thanks.)" and "(English)(No Thanks.)" To many NA players this was an egregious sign of racism that offended them greatly.

So to bring this story to a conclusion, FFXI didn't just grief players through hosed-up game mechanics and terrible soul-crushing grinds for equipment. It griefed players by simply attempting to bring two very different gaming communities together in the same game, and split much of the community along racial lines because of difficulty in communication and misunderstandings. I'm sure many players had wonderful experiences with JP players - I know I did, but it took a long time to get over a lot of the misunderstandings and game culture differences.

I'll tell some more game mechanic stories next time, like my best friend's horrific quest for the Black Belt, one of the best items for the Monk class in the game, and how FFXI made me contemplate murder.

LegionAreI fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Mar 10, 2013

• Locked thread