Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Fragmented posted:

Why is everyone calling him Brad Caesar.

I know. Julius Pitt rolls off the tongue so much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Fragmented posted:

Why is everyone calling him Brad Caesar.

Because of Troy.

Caesar's "oysters" line reminds me of the progressive-for-the-time scene that was cut from Kubrick's Spartacus because people were scared of the gay back then. I guess Caesar only wants the women :)

No man can withstand Rome!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc3b7MP4pyw

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

the posted:

JESUS CHRIST the entire second half of that episode I was on the edge of my seat literally shouting at the screen for Gannicus not to die. That was such a suspenseful episode. And that guy stabbing himself in the face was so loving :black101:

Yeah the Donar fight was amazing since it followed the theme of deciding to die with dignity and also cheating the Romans of any satisfaction even in death.

Also great that they decided to let the Romans and Crassus win the scheme war, with Spartacus being put back into a dangerous position.

etalian fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 9, 2013

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Darko posted:

Because of Troy.

Caesar's "oysters" line reminds me of the progressive-for-the-time scene that was cut from Kubrick's Spartacus because people were scared of the gay back then. I guess Caesar only wants the women :)

No man can withstand Rome!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc3b7MP4pyw
Ha. Speaking of allusions, there's a line from Julius Caesar tucked away towards the end, with the "bestrides the world like a Colossus" part. It's a nice touch, considering the original context:

quote:

CASSIUS: Why, man, [Caesar] doth bestride the narrow world
Like a Colossus, and we petty men
Walk under his huge legs and peep about
To find ourselves dishonourable graves...
...Rome, thou hast lost the breed of noble bloods!
When went there by an age, since the great flood,
But it was famed with more than with one man?
When could they say till now, that talk'd of Rome,
That her wide walls encompass'd but one man?
Now is it Rome indeed and room enough,
When there is in it but one only man.
Sorry, bit of a lit nerd post.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
If they do a Caesar spinoff I hope it's just him brutally owning people like he did Tiberius in this episode. I would watch that.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

qbert posted:

So he rapes an innocent woman who tries to be kind to him?

Nah, he's a poo poo and should die.

She is property and probably doesn't have much in the way of rights. Such is the order of things.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Conquistador posted:

She is property and probably doesn't have much in the way of rights. Such is the order of things.

Soon it will be law that a slaves testimony would only be allowed if it was taken through torture.

dodob
May 20, 2004

Fragmented posted:

Why is everyone calling him Brad Caesar. He is obviously Matt(Damon)Ceaser. It's all in the squarish shape of his head.
Have you not seen Troy? Brad Pitt plays the exact same character.

EDIT: Despite it being a great episode all around focusing on Gannicus (Gannicus really does take all your wimmenz, also, RPG superstat ninja), the Donar-Caesar fight stole the show.

dodob fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 10, 2013

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Here's something funny, I was looking up some stuff on IMDB and discovered that Anna Hutchison (who plays Laeta) was the Yellow Power Ranger in the Jungle Fury series.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
Okay first off - I LOVE this show. It's literally the first thing I do every Saturday Morning.

The constant jumping to attack makes me laugh so hard every single time, because if there is anything I've learned from decades of fighting games (Street Fighter Ex plus Alpha -what?), it's that excessive jumping will SO get you killed. haha!

*edit -fixed mispelling

DoggPickle fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 10, 2013

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

DoggPickle posted:

Okay first off - I LOVE this show. It's literally the first thing I do every Saturday Morning.

The constant jumping to attack makes me laugh so hard every single time, because if there is anything I've learned from decades of fighting games (Sreet Fighter Ex plus Alpha -what?), it's that excessive jumping will SO get you killed. haha!

Hanging out in the corner and spamming uppercut wasn't invented until the Renaissance

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Fragmented posted:

Why is everyone calling him Brad Caesar. He is obviously Matt(Damon)Ceaser. It's all in the squarish shape of his head.

RIP Brad Caesar, all hail Julius Donnie Wahlberg.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
I was watching this episode again, and just noticed, that for the first time in a while we saw Crixus look loving hardcore again when he was fighting the Romans. Since Vengeance he's been looking more and more like a washed out alcoholic.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Jut posted:

I was watching this episode again, and just noticed, that for the first time in a while we saw Crixus look loving hardcore again when he was fighting the Romans. Since Vengeance he's been looking more and more like a washed out alcoholic.

It's a reverse-Riker. The less hair he has, the more badass he is.

MrHat
Jun 18, 2005

Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on

Conquistador posted:

The hosed up thing is that the Romans had such an advanced legal system that the owner of the slave could prosecute for damage to property if one of their slaves was raped (without the consent of their owner).

not joseph stalin
Dec 30, 2008
Such a good episode. I spent the last half of it expecting Gannicus to sacrifice himself to save the slave girl, which I think was the writers were aiming for. But with only four episodes left, major characters are going to die like, every single night now. Someone should keep a running list of major, named characters as they are killed off. Just so long as Gannicus somehow survives everything.

Also, despite struggling through his fights this episode, Caesar manages to make himself even more badass by just straight up saying, "I'm a badass, and here's why."

Also, lets talk about how Laeta is, at every turn, treated the worst. Her husband murdered before her eyes, she's imprisoned in her own home, all her friends - literally everyone she knows killed, she's abused, threatened, nearly raped multiple times. Then finally she is set free, given a warm bath, only to be betrayed, sold to pirates to be raped, branded. Then just stabbed in the gut for good measure. It reminds me of that scene in Django Unchained (Django spoilers), where the lawyer is used as a human shield, and gets shot at a comedically large number of times, like thirty or forty

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

MrHat posted:

The hosed up thing is that the Romans had such an advanced legal system that the owner of the slave could prosecute for damage to property if one of their slaves was raped (without the consent of their owner).

How progressive of them.
Also I'm ferociously sure than Gannicus and the slave girl are going to survive all this bullshit.

One thing that I would like to see It's detective show in the mold of Lindsey Davies books but with the photography and backstabbing of Spartacus.

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 10, 2013

Pyramid Scheme
May 21, 2007

Is Brad Caesar an Australian actor? Because his facial movement in delivering this line looks very Australian.

Possibly it's universal and I'm just used to seeing Australians pull gloating arsehole-ish lines like this.

(edit = arsehole, not rear end in a top hat. I have been away from Sydney too long...)

Pyramid Scheme fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 10, 2013

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah he aussie.

Pyramid Scheme
May 21, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

yeah he aussie.

Ah, some googling and imbd tells me he was on Home and Away as well. At least he didn't play Milco.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
wouldn't know, we export that poo poo. Our version of Heroin.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jut posted:

Yeah he went from having top character stats in season 1 to bottom tier party member stats. Makes more sense to use Gannicus and Argon instead to fill up the main party.

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .
gently caress, Brad Caesar is my age.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

etalian posted:

Yeah he went from having top character stats in season 1 to bottom tier party member stats. Makes more sense to use Gannicus and Argon instead to fill up the main party.

I'm surprised Spartacus and co. haven't asphyxiated from the presence of such a noble gas in their party.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 10, 2013

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

etalian posted:

It's the lack of inteligence, he had great stats but he received too few xp to keep up with the others.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

MrHat posted:

Wasn't that after this war or am I thinking about how after the conclusion of this war Romans began progressively giving their slaves more and more rights because they were loving terrified of their slaves revolting and killing them in their sleep?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

etalian posted:

Well he was seriously injured and did not have a long time to heal.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 10, 2013

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Science posted:

gently caress, Brad Caesar is my age.

So many leads on the show must have found the fountain of youth too, like Peter Mensah and Manu Bennet.

bobkatt013 posted:

We was seriously injured and did not have a long time to heal.

I guess it has more in common with those German RPGs in which any sort of battle mishap leads to stat destroying injuries.

Or maybe Crixus is a reverse Samson in which his power increases inverse to his hair?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

etalian posted:

So many leads on the show must have found the fountain of youth too, like Peter Mensah and Manu Bennet.

Believe it or not, men don't stop being good looking when they turn 30.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe
Does anyone know the phrase Crassus was using for the execution celebration? Sounded like a mixture of carne asada and hakuna matata...

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

Peter Mensah is 53

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Irish Joe posted:

Take care of yourself and you age like wine.

I miss Oenomaeus. :( Dude went out to a second-rate clownshoe which he totally didn't deserve...although coming back strong, after getting stabbed through a hand and an eye, that was pretty awesome.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Leviathan posted:

Does anyone know the phrase Crassus was using for the execution celebration? Sounded like a mixture of carne asada and hakuna matata...

Carnificina, i.e., capital punishment/act of torture. It was what they were doing to the captured slaves.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Pretty sure Tiberius is going to get dominated by Caesar soon. The kid is going for Ashur like manipulations and everything and doesn't have the experience or tact for it. To be fair he did get pretty screwed up by his dad

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Azure_Horizon posted:

Carnificina, i.e., capital punishment/act of torture. It was what they were doing to the captured slaves.

This would make a good Heavy Metal band name.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

etalian posted:

This would make a good Heavy Metal band name.

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Carnificina/70895

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:3:

Azure_Horizon posted:

It means "carnage".

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

carnificina -ae, f. the work of a hangman; execution, torture.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Mans posted:

:3:

It means "carnage".

The actual celebration is an event of torturing or punishing another individual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Alchenar posted:

carnificina -ae, f. the work of a hangman; execution, torture.

It's pretty over the top in typical Spartacus fashion but the Roman triumph was pretty much a happy parade except for the whole killing all the prisoners at the end.

Pretty much a way to show off terrifying enemies being reduced to state of pathetic submission before getting ritually killed.

• Locked thread