Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Mescal posted:

So for audio clarity and editing reasons, there's often voice over or dubbing of lines in movies. (Not sure what it's called in the industry.) I almost never watch a movie without noticing this, and I can't stand it. It breaks immersion for me way more than unbelievable scenarios and unrealistic dialog. If we have the technology to make CGI so good that most people notice it, I assume we have the tech to edit audio better than this.

What percentage of an average movie's dialog is voiceover? Do people notice this less than I do, even though I'm not a film buff? Are big-budget movies sloppy about this because they don't care, or because time and money are in short supply at this point in production?

Yeah I always notice the ADR in Star Wars, especially because the volume changes quite a bit. You'd think with all the digital fuckery Lucas has done to the visuals, he'd at least fix the volumes. One easy to spot scene is on the Falcon after they rescue the princess and she's talking to them in the cockpit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
Example of not-so-good ADR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLK4f7GZync

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

The US dub of Mad Max is another one.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

That's less convincing than those Bad Lip Reading videos.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Toey posted:

Editing in movies has always been a mystery to me. I have some question I though you all could/might help me with.

Anyone got any good examples of good and then bad editing in movies?
Why is editing important?
Didn't the director shoot the shots he wanted and then the editor just puts them together?
Why is the editor re-arranging the shot anyway?
What if the editor change the feel/atmosphere of the scene from what the director wanted?
Can the actually do that just with editing?

To elaborate on what's already been said - the editing process is also a rewriting process. Lines get taken out or rearranged. Scenes get moved around within the film to a complete different order.

Here's a perfect example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlY-AyVW_CI

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

If anyone's interested in an excellent exploration of this concept, you should do yourself a favor and watch Shaolin Grandma.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Can anyone recommend any good books about film criticism (not film theory) that aren't a chore to read? Or not necessarily film criticism, but film concepts in general.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 4, 2013

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Say you have a scene where two characters are talking while one of them is cooking breakfast. Of course you'd film the bulk of the scene traditionally. But what if you want something like a close up of a character pouring a cup of coffee or an overhead shot of someone cracking an egg? Do you use your regular actors and crew for these shots or do you bring in the B-team and some hand models after you're done to get the shots that flesh out the scene but might be too repetitive or time consuming for the big name actors? If I'm seeing someone's hand turn a doorknob or a closeup of someone's shoes walking down a hallway, what are the odds that I'm seeing the "real" actor or a stand-in? Or does it vary completely based on time/money/director's discretion?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Stuff like that is usually done by the 2nd Unit director/crew. Things like establishing shots or action scenes that won't have the principal actors.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Pretty much every shot in Evil Dead where you don't see the actors faces used so called Fake Shemps instead of actors. Instead of paying an actor for a shot where he doesn't really do anything Sam and Rob would just dress someone, sometimes themselves, sometimes someone else from the crew but mostly Ted Raimi Sam's kid brother, in the actors clothes thus saving a lot of money that would otherwise been wasted on wages.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 5, 2013

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Thanks for the answers. I was trying to google my questions, but I was convinced it was called b-roll, which is another thing entirely.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

FreudianSlippers posted:

Pretty much every shot in Evil Dead where you don't see the actors faces used so called Fake Shemps instead of actors. Instead of paying an actor for a shot where he doesn't really do anything Sam and Rob would just dress someone, sometimes themselves, sometimes someone else from the crew but mostly Ted Raimi Sam's kid brother, in the actors clothes thus saving a lot of money that would otherwise been wasted on wages.

That was mostly because they went way, way over on time and most of the other actors had time constraints. Bruce was a part of Sam and Ted's crew already and stuck around for months after pretty much everyone else left. Also I think most if not all of the basement shots were filmed something like 2 years after the rest of the movie.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
If editing is such a major part of film-making, why do we get movies with continuity errors? Drink cups filled, then half-drunk, then full again in the same scene; hands in left, then right pockets in between shots; etc? Less so with outdoor lighting effects (scene magically switches between different times of the day, with appropriate shadows), as these are usually not realized until pointed out or if one is deliberately looking for them

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Usually because the emotional through-line of the scene matters more than appeasing the kind of people who care more about watching cigarette ashes.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Nerdfest X posted:

If editing is such a major part of film-making, why do we get movies with continuity errors? Drink cups filled, then half-drunk, then full again in the same scene; hands in left, then right pockets in between shots; etc? Less so with outdoor lighting effects (scene magically switches between different times of the day, with appropriate shadows), as these are usually not realized until pointed out or if one is deliberately looking for them

Having worked in this department recently, it's because there's near infinite things to look for - how clothes are situated, position of hands on a clock, etc. etc. For the most part, people doing these jobs are pretty good. However, what becomes a problem is how things occur naturally - Say you have somebody throwing a shirt on a chair from across the room - it'll never land the same way twice. You go on and try to make it the best you can, but it'll never be exact if you're lucky to get it close at all.

With drinks, they're always filled up between takes, but if you're running long scenes of dialogue, and running all of them (which is good for flow and performance usually) then you run into the levels problem - actor forgets to take a drink at one part leaves more in the cup, and vice versa. When you edit, you look for the performance. If the performance is good, few will notice the glass levels. If you cut for the glass levels, everybody will notice a bad performance.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing
Several years ago, I found a YouTube video of the Death Star battle in the first Star Wars re-edited into the way it was originally written. I was trying to find it when I discovered this neat little edit of the same battle, in which Luke is portrayed as a hotshot rookie using only footage from the movie and dialog from the series: http://youtu.be/RajguJoZ8aA

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Is there a proper term for a shot where the camera tilts up until it's facing 180 degrees from its starting position, upside down? Usually it'll do this in one smooth movement to track someone walking past the camera.

I noticed it watching Limitless the other day and I suddenly realised I'd seen it a lot over the past few years - its first use was probably decades ago though.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I would love to see the original edit of Star Wars. Even Lucas freely admits that it was a complete disaster until he hired the people who knew what they were doing.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Does anyone remember seeing an animated short film that preceded Amelie in the theater? I can't seem to google it.

It involved a building/apartment but I can't remember the name.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
What was the first movie (or maybe TV show?) to pull the flashback/dream segue with a harp being strummed and the screen turning all ripply?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

DNS posted:

What was the first movie (or maybe TV show?) to pull the flashback/dream segue with a harp being strummed and the screen turning all ripply?

No clue what the first one is but here's one from 1933 from The Bitter Tea of General Yen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHKalFpgksk&t=33m40s

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Project1 posted:

When do we first see those silencers/suppressors for firearms turn up in films? You know the sort, they make the pistol or sniper rifle sound like a tiny kitten coughing, and are about as loud.

I'm thinking James Bond, but maybe there is something earlier than that.

I'm watching Fly Away Baby from 1937 and the murderer users a silencer in it.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
Is it neccessary to watch Dr. Mabuse the Gambler before watching The Testament of Dr. Mabuse?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Is it neccessary to watch Dr. Mabuse the Gambler before watching The Testament of Dr. Mabuse?

No, not at all.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
This has been driving me nuts for years and I just thought I'd ask it here: at the end of My Cousin Vinny, why does he need to call Lisa at all? Like it's clear that he know everything she knows because he knows to call her and has the Sheriff follow the lead so why doesn't he just recall the expert and point all and use his own knowledge to dispute the expert's findings? Like I realize it would makde it a worse movie and that seen with Tomei is priceless but I'm just wondering if there's an actual legal reason or something.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Well he needs someone to testify, and that gives him an opportunity to show how much he respects her intelligence.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Schweinhund posted:

No clue what the first one is but here's one from 1933 from The Bitter Tea of General Yen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHKalFpgksk&t=33m40s

Cheers. :cheers:

effectual posted:

Well he needs someone to testify, and that gives him an opportunity to show how much he respects her intelligence.

Yeah. It's a tidy way of winning the trial and winning her back at the same time, since they were on the rocks and she was ready to leave town.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Yesterday I saw A Zed and Two Noughts, and as dumb as the question sounds, what was going on with the guy dressed in all black and the woman dressed in all red? Outside of them being involved with the Zoo, I have no idea what they were doing or why they were doing it, and every summary/analysis thing I'm reading online just ignores them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Richard "Lord British" Garriott visited space awhile ago and while there made Apogee of Fearhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fv3ZJ2J89M

It's pretty jokey and as is mentioned in the video, it's the first Science Fiction film shot in space. Are there any other fictional films shot in space?

Before anyone says the Moon Landing, that wasn't shot in space, it was shot on a sound stage in Burbank.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Apollo 13 and 2001 had a lot of their stories in space.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

effectual posted:

Apollo 13 and 2001 had a lot of their stories in space.

Were they shot there though? that's my question. I know there's a bunch of fictional movies that take place in space, but they weren't filmed on location.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

The answer is almost certainly no, but Apollo 13 comes closest with scenes shot in freefall on the Vomit Comet. It ain't space, but it is microgravity.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

penismightier posted:

The answer is almost certainly no, but Apollo 13 comes closest with scenes shot in freefall on the Vomit Comet. It ain't space, but it is microgravity.

Functionally, orbit IS freefall, so that's about as much in space as "Apogee of Fear" as far as I know...

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Snak posted:

Functionally, orbit IS freefall, so that's about as much in space as "Apogee of Fear" as far as I know...

Good point. Technically speaking the only movies with footage from space are the ones with footage from the moon missions or probes, everything else is just LEO! (but practically speaking ISS is like 250 miles higher up than the Vomit Comet)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

penismightier posted:

I figured, it was just the way every article about it kept saying "first Science Fiction film" in space made me wonder if some bored astronauts on the international space station made a murder mystery or an adaptation of "Whose Afraid of Virginia Wolf."

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Skwirl posted:

ome bored astronauts on the international space station made a murder mystery

I want this to be a reality so badly.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
It was the Russian, in the Poisk room, with the flashlight.

Check out this NASA game http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/3d_resources/station_spacewalk_game.html

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Has anyone ever made a film adaptation of The Man Who Was Thursday? And if not why not?

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")
Is there an official name for that crossroads that's in a whole lot of movies? It seems like it's in the middle of nowhere. I know for a fact it's in The Muppet Movie, Castaway, and was made to look like dirt roads in O Brother Where Art Thou.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE posted:

Is there an official name for that crossroads that's in a whole lot of movies? It seems like it's in the middle of nowhere. I know for a fact it's in The Muppet Movie, Castaway, and was made to look like dirt roads in O Brother Where Art Thou.

I feel like that's a trope that goes way beyond movies, at least to the real life story of Robert Johnson (the real life version of the dude from O Brother).