Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

So is that Walking Dead that was given away for free worth picking up? Anybody that finished it have any idea of the amount of time you need to sink into it? Any IAP walls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Not a viking posted:

Saw a facebook ad (bad sign?) about a city building game called Megapolis. What is the goon verdict of this game?
Megapolis was one of the first games I downloaded for iOS and it basically taught me what a mobile city builder is. It's just tap buildings for cash, put more buildings down, tap those buildings to activate them for five minutes, pay real money to spend less time playing.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Anyone else tried SPACETEAM?
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/spaceteam/id570510529?mt=8

It's a weird boardgame(ish) game about flying spaceship for 2-4 players.
All players have to be on local wifi or bluetooth connection and with their own IOS-device.

Each players screen is made out of random controllers.
Each player gets instructions what to do. Controllers for them can be on anyone's console,
which leads everyone trieing to shout their commands so someone "Sets jiggawatts to 3".

Round ends when enough commands have been executed and faster rounds will ensue,
until team is too slow to do their job and gets consumed in giant nova.

We tried this with 2 Ipads and Iphone and it was pretty hectic and fun.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"
Tapped Out need some drat partners :( origin ID is: Uniquename76

I keep failing at the 1 Second Airborne quest in Jones On Fire even with midair charge 2/2 :(

AggroJagg
Mar 7, 2007
Hermits aren't broken, just favoured.

Dvlos posted:

Tapped Out need some drat partners :( origin ID is: Uniquename76

I keep failing at the 1 Second Airborne quest in Jones On Fire even with midair charge 2/2 :(

Read 7 or 8 posts up. The achievement description is wrong, buy a boost and open the missions screen.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

jammu posted:

Anyone else tried SPACETEAM?
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/spaceteam/id570510529?mt=8

It's a weird boardgame(ish) game about flying spaceship for 2-4 players.
All players have to be on local wifi or bluetooth connection and with their own IOS-device.

Each players screen is made out of random controllers.
Each player gets instructions what to do. Controllers for them can be on anyone's console,
which leads everyone trieing to shout their commands so someone "Sets jiggawatts to 3".

Round ends when enough commands have been executed and faster rounds will ensue,
until team is too slow to do their job and gets consumed in giant nova.

We tried this with 2 Ipads and Iphone and it was pretty hectic and fun.

Nope. Never heard of it!
Did you know we had a black president?!

;)

(It's been somewhat of a goon/Internet darling for some time now...)

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski
Gave Jones on Fire a try but the only thing they seemed to have put much effort into is setting up the IAP scheme, everything else seems lazily done - why even put out something like this in the wake of a great endless runner like PunchQuest, to cash in on the genre hype?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm starting out in Simpsons: Tapped Out (and loving it - I haven't watched Simpsons in at least 10 years but it's still ringing the nostalgia bell). However, I know absolutely no one else playing this game...Facebook, gmail, even origin searches yield NOTHING.

So I'd love to get some other people added to my friends list so I can see how my pathetic Springfield compares to everyone else's utopia...

Origin ID: Kirios86

Any invitations would be great! :)

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
I used this for tapped out friends and it worked pretty well: http://www.tappedoutfriends.com/

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

loudog999 posted:

So is that Walking Dead that was given away for free worth picking up? Anybody that finished it have any idea of the amount of time you need to sink into it? Any IAP walls?

Looks like beating normal is about 90 minutes or so. There are about 10 levels. You use in-game currency to upgrade your team (damage, ammo, etc. ) that is earned in the levels. There don't seem to be any IAP walls at all, just the "unlock everything now" options in case you basically want to skip playing the game. There's one character that takes a decent amount to unlock, but there rest can be bought with whatever you earned in the level that unlocked them with currency to spare.

It's reasonably fun, and definitely worth your time to check out.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Is The Dark Knight Rises game any good? It's pretty cheap right now and I like a bit of Batman.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Is The Dark Knight Rises game any good? It's pretty cheap right now and I like a bit of Batman.

Is that the Infinity Blade clone? If so, it's very mediocre.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Bummey posted:

I've played that one. That's called something else.

This one's the movie tie-in game.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

loudog999 posted:

Yeah echoing the other guy to say although I wasn't crazy about it, this is definitely a "premium" game that happens to include some (wholly unnecessary) IAP "cheats"; it's not a freemium grind or anything. Worth checking out at the current pricepoint but I personally found it a little slow and a little shallow -- maybe that improves later in the game, though?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

heiden posted:

Gave Jones on Fire a try but the only thing they seemed to have put much effort into is setting up the IAP scheme, everything else seems lazily done - why even put out something like this in the wake of a great endless runner like PunchQuest, to cash in on the genre hype?

It's a polished up and completed gamejam game, its not really supposed to be very complex.

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits
I took the plunge on The Quest thanks to the responses earlier and it rules. You should all check out The Quest because it is a really well done game that hits the same nerve that daggerfall did back in the day. Except without all the glitches, crashes, and horrifying, randomly generated eterna-dungeons.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Do any of you play outwitters? I just got it and couldn't tell you if really like it or hate it right now. So many people forgetting about their game for 3 days at a time is really killing it for me :(

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I was about to say I'd re-download it and play a game with you, because I liked it (just ended up liking Hero Academy more, which fills a similar niche) but I'm not on wifi and it's almost a 400MB file, apparently? Jeeze, that seems a little bigger than necessary.

CPFinnit
Jun 5, 2008
I thought I remembered seeing an iPad only game a while back that involved playing as a white blood cell or something similar and evolving to fight off different viruses? Is this something that actually exists, Google hasn't turned up any hits.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

CPFinnit posted:

I thought I remembered seeing an iPad only game a while back that involved playing as a white blood cell or something similar and evolving to fight off different viruses? Is this something that actually exists, Google hasn't turned up any hits.
Phage Wars is kind of similar to this but it's a Flash game.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/armorgames/phage-wars-2

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

hogswallower posted:

I took the plunge on The Quest thanks to the responses earlier and it rules. You should all check out The Quest because it is a really well done game that hits the same nerve that daggerfall did back in the day. Except without all the glitches, crashes, and horrifying, randomly generated eterna-dungeons.

You can't break into people's houses and steal their stuff. :(

I got the Cursed Chess Set expansion which you're supposed to roll a new character for, since it is for lowbies. It's very silly and gives you crazy strong weapons/armour right off the bat. One of the first characters you meet is Henry VIII, so called because the queen just falls in love with guys named Henry as soon as she meets them, and he is the 8th Henry. He gives you a quest to seek out all other guys called Henry so he has no competition. Oh and he's an orc, for no real reason. Every quest is like this.

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012

Raged posted:

Worked for me in Australia.

Is Brian Cox's Wonders of the Universe worth $7. I'm sorely tempted to grab it since someone posted codes.

I'd say its definitely worth it. It's one of the first apps I bought for my ipad, and it's full of great information with beautiful graphics and hours of video. However, the videos require an active Internet connection. I could not find a way to preload them, which I found kind of annoying.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The only thing keeping me from playing The Quest is that I no longer use an iPhone and I don't think it's likely they'll ever port it to the iPad.

Unless - does it not look terrible stretched out to fit the iPad screen?

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012

Fallom posted:

The only thing keeping me from playing The Quest is that I no longer use an iPhone and I don't think it's likely they'll ever port it to the iPad.

Same here. I only play on my iPad, and use my 3gs only for phone stuff.

Bummey posted:

That would be Arkham City Lockdown. I haven't played the TDKR game, but I heard it's decent and has good graphics.

CPFinnit
Jun 5, 2008

The Rokstar posted:

Phage Wars is kind of similar to this but it's a Flash game.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/armorgames/phage-wars-2

I think I'm thinking of Tentacle Wars. Thanks.

Digger-254
Apr 3, 2003

not even here
Thanks to whoever recommended Block Fortress, it's really awesome! It's like a Minecraft-ish TD defense that you also get to run around and shoot dudes like a FPS. You can also upgrade and customize your (many) structures and FPS weapons in a ton of different ways. It's incredibly open-ended and a blast to play.

...until they start throwing groups of those guys at you that none of your turrets can detect or shoot, that prioritize high value structures, and also do metric poo poo-tons of damage. There seems to be literally no counter-measure besides constantly walking around hunting for them yourself (and often missing them until its too late and half your base is gone anyway). Meanwhile, a really awesome battle is still going on while you're out wandering around the map like a jackass.

Game was great til I got stuck on endless guard duty instead of planning and fighting the battles. That's not a challenge, it's just pulling you away from what makes it great in the first place. Its like you go from playing a fun game to working a lovely job. Ugh.

Digger-254 fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 11, 2013

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Fallom posted:

It does look a bit dodgy but I never minded that much... you can still play it at 1x resolution, it's just little in the middle of the screen.

Sandwich Fight
Oct 11, 2004

Explosion
Knights of Pen and Paper just went free!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Sandwich Fight posted:

Goddamnit, I just came here to post that.

Here, have an itunes link. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id549248038?mt=8

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits

Corridor posted:

You can't break into people's houses and steal their stuff. :(

I got the Cursed Chess Set expansion which you're supposed to roll a new character for, since it is for lowbies. It's very silly and gives you crazy strong weapons/armour right off the bat. One of the first characters you meet is Henry VIII, so called because the queen just falls in love with guys named Henry as soon as she meets them, and he is the 8th Henry. He gives you a quest to seek out all other guys called Henry so he has no competition. Oh and he's an orc, for no real reason. Every quest is like this.

I just got the gold version. That should have all the expansions, no? And yeah it's a bummer you can't go apeshit stealing stuff but I have other outlets for my video game hoarding tendencies so I guess I'll live.

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012

Digger-254 posted:

Thanks to whoever recommended Block Fortress, it's really awesome! It's like a Minecraft-ish TD defense that you also get to run around and shoot dudes like a FPS. You can also upgrade and customize your (many) structures and FPS weapons in a ton of different ways. It's incredibly open-ended and a blast to play.

...until they start throwing groups of those guys at you that none of your turrets can detect or shoot, that prioritize high value structures, and also do metric poo poo-tons of damage. There seems to be literally no counter-measure besides constantly walking around hunting for them yourself (and often missing them until its too late and half your base is gone anyway). Meanwhile, a really awesome battle is still going on while you're out wandering around the map like a jackass.

Game was great til I got stuck on endless guard duty instead of planning and fighting the battles. That's not a challenge, it's just pulling you away from what makes it great in the first place. Its like you go from playing a fun game to working a lovely job. Ugh.

The dev does a great job of listening to feedback and constantly updating their games. So I expect them to fix the difficulty and make it more balanced. They already promised an update to add a new mode with no fps element, just base building and top down view for those who dislike fps controls on iOS.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

hogswallower posted:

I just got the gold version. That should have all the expansions, no? And yeah it's a bummer you can't go apeshit stealing stuff but I have other outlets for my video game hoarding tendencies so I guess I'll live.

Nope, 3 expansions only and holy poo poo there are a lot. May look into these as it seems all expansions are playable standalone, which is really cool.

e: Quest games as per AppShopper, bolded the stuff that comes with the Gold version:
The Quest
• The Quest - Attack from Asteroids
• The Quest - Celtic Queen
• The Quest - Celtic Rift
• The Quest - Cursed Chess Set
• The Quest - Escape from Asteroids
• The Quest - Hero of Lukomorye I
• The Quest - Hero of Lukomorye II
• The Quest - Hero of Lukomorye III
• The Quest - Hero of Lukomorye IV
• The Quest - Hero of Lukomorye V
• The Quest - Islands of Ice and Fire
• The Quest - Lost Archipelagos
• The Quest - Mithril Horde
• The Quest - Mithril Horde II
• The Quest Lite

Yes, asteroids.

duckfarts fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 11, 2013

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Corridor posted:

A Herman's Hermits reference? I guess they didn't write that, but they did take it #1. What is the target demo baby boomers and people who've taken a music history course?

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits

duckfarts posted:

Nope, 3 expansions only and holy poo poo there are a lot. May look into these as it seems all expansions are playable standalone, which is really cool.

e: Quest games as per AppShopper, bolded the stuff that comes with the Gold version:

Hot drat. This is gonna keep me busy for a while. Also the App Store lists The Quest really stupidly (at least on my phone) so I had to flip through like thirty entries to find Gold. It would probably be a more popular title if it had a more eye-catching name, I guess.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Sandwich Fight posted:

This rules, tons of style and seems like a perfect (and big!) grind game -- but wow, looking at how the blacksmith works, that seems like bullshit. Everything else is so reasonable but spending gold with a % chance of losing it all and having to wait 8 hours even if you succeed sucks

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Corridor posted:

I got the Cursed Chess Set expansion which you're supposed to roll a new character for, since it is for lowbies. It's very silly and gives you crazy strong weapons/armour right off the bat.

Oh and he's an orc, for no real reason. Every quest is like this.

You don't have to roll a new character. All expansions for The Quest have an option on their app's main menu that allows you to enable its content in The Quest proper. Download expansion, tap Enable in The Quest, delete expansion app. That way you can use your regular character throughout the entire game.

This is such a great game.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

loudog999 posted:

It's a pile of poop is how I'm gonna say it

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Pladdicus posted:

It's a pile of poop is how I'm gonna say it

"You want to pick that up ? Ok, but first here's a 20 second clip of your character slipping in a pool of blood and writhing in agony on the floor. You don't mind tapping on the object you wanted to examine again, do you ?"

That's where I deleted the game.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

mllaneza posted:

"You want to pick that up ? Ok, but first here's a 20 second clip of your character slipping in a pool of blood and writhing in agony on the floor. You don't mind tapping on the object you wanted to examine again, do you ?"

That's where I deleted the game.

We're talkin about different Walking Dead games, I think. A lot of people in here, myself included, really like the Telltale one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.

Pray For Death posted:

The dev does a great job of listening to feedback and constantly updating their games. So I expect them to fix the difficulty and make it more balanced. They already promised an update to add a new mode with no fps element, just base building and top down view for those who dislike fps controls on iOS.

The devs just posted on TA that the next update is almost ready and will include an easier difficulty for survival mode and "more flexibility in survival mode", whatever that means.

The game has incredible replayabilyt though. If your having trouble try crafting some upgrades like self-powered and detector mods and don't forget to build mines. You can get one mineral each round in Survival and you can replay the first wave over and over to grind out minerals. You can beat the first and second waves without any intervention at all once you get self powered MG turrets and Plasma turrets. Build four MGs on each corner of your barracks then use wood to build a three block tall column. Then put one wood block on each side of the top block making a " + ". Finally hang a plasma turret from the bottom of each wood block. This ensures maximum coverage of your barracks. Like I said it blows through the first 2 waves with no help.

Also get the plasma rifle ASAP and upgrade it with an Energy Core and Tac Light. Now you have a powerful splash damage auto firing weapon that never needs to be reloaded and will spot targets in the dark for you at long range. It also destroys terrain which is both good and bad.

• Locked thread