Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I'm on an SGS3 running CM10.1. Is there any conceivable way to make the home button act as a play/pause button for currently playing media when the screen is off rather than waking the device?

Sure it's possible, but you'd need to write/find an app that does it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Does anyone else have an issue with CM10 (sgs3 d2att) where the screen is stuck at the task manager screen if you hit the home button? The only way I can get out of it is if I press back, and then every time I hit the home button it brings me back to task manager, instead of needing to long press.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

madkapitolist posted:

Does anyone else have an issue with CM10 (sgs3 d2att) where the screen is stuck at the task manager screen if you hit the home button?
There's a bug whereby capacitive and home short-presses are always registered as long-presses (which results in the behavior you describe). It usually manifests after a day or two or uptime, and once it happens, the only way to resolve it is to reboot.

revolther
May 27, 2008

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I'm on an SGS3 running CM10.1. Is there any conceivable way to make the home button act as a play/pause button for currently playing media when the screen is off rather than waking the device?
There are all kind of apps on the play store that allow for remapping of hardware buttons, I know there is probably a free option or two on XDA as well, it's just a matter of finding one with profiles and making one that sets home pause/play media activity.

Hell Tasker could probably do it easy.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

There's a bug whereby capacitive and home short-presses are always registered as long-presses (which results in the behavior you describe). It usually manifests after a day or two or uptime, and once it happens, the only way to resolve it is to reboot.

Oh drat that's very annoying, is there a fix in the works?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I recently put CM 10.1 on my Nexus 4. The cellular indicator now shows whether I'm connected to HSPA or HSPA+, which is nice to but I've noticed that if it's showing just H, no loading happens until it switches to H+, at which point things load just fine. Why Is this happening, and is there something I can do to get downloads on H?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

hooah posted:

I recently put CM 10.1 on my Nexus 4. The cellular indicator now shows whether I'm connected to HSPA or HSPA+, which is nice to but I've noticed that if it's showing just H, no loading happens until it switches to H+, at which point things load just fine. Why Is this happening, and is there something I can do to get downloads on H?

AFAIK, it will idle on H, and once you start using the network, it'll go up to H+. This is a battery saving feature, if what I read is right.

If you go into Settings > About Phone, it should say HSPA:10.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

madkapitolist posted:

Oh drat that's very annoying, is there a fix in the works?
I'm not aware that anyone has been able to successfully debug it yet. Unfortunately things that manifest only after 24-48 hours of update naturally take a while to debug. It doesn't help that most CM engineers flash new builds on their devices more frequently than that anyways.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

BoyBlunder posted:

AFAIK, it will idle on H, and once you start using the network, it'll go up to H+. This is a battery saving feature, if what I read is right.

If you go into Settings > About Phone, it should say HSPA:10.

Ok, good to know. However, it seems to continue idling for upwards of 20 seconds before switch to H+. Is that normal?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

hooah posted:

Ok, good to know. However, it seems to continue idling for upwards of 20 seconds before switch to H+. Is that normal?

I think that would depend on what you're using for your APN settings.

If I fire up Chrome and start surfing the web (in a HSPA+ area), it comes up right away for me.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

BoyBlunder posted:

I think that would depend on what you're using for your APN settings.

If I fire up Chrome and start surfing the web (in a HSPA+ area), it comes up right away for me.

On T-mobile, how should I have my APN set?

Edit: Nevermind, Google helped with that. However, my settings were right (or mostly so, according to a different source), so I haven't seen any change in behavior.

hooah fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 6, 2013

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Are there any known issues with CM10.1 and data connections outside your home network area? I'm traveling for work and my carrier's coverage map and interactive tool claim that I should have mobile data here, but I don't. I'm supposed to have national coverage with no roaming chargers anywhere. It's a CDMA carrier, so I would have figured that I could get data from a Verizon tower.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Are there any known issues with CM10.1 and data connections outside your home network area? I'm traveling for work and my carrier's coverage map and interactive tool claim that I should have mobile data here, but I don't. I'm supposed to have national coverage with no roaming chargers anywhere. It's a CDMA carrier, so I would have figured that I could get data from a Verizon tower.

You probably need to update your PRL. You'll likely have to flash back to stock to do so though. Make a nandroid, flash to stock, update PRL, restore nandroid.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Didn't turn out to be that. My phone wasn't set to connect to data while roaming. My plan covers data nationally regardless of which network I'm connected to, but my carrier has no towers here so the phone shows me as roaming. I turned on data roaming in the Mobile Networks menu and now it's working.

I'm betting that in the stock image for my carrier (USC), this is enabled by default. All of USC's new Belief Plans have no roaming chargers for anything within the United States.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Does anyone have experience with those android-on-an-hdmi-sticks? I'm thinking about getting one just to run splashtop streamer but I'm uncertain of a few things. The one feature I need is to be able to run apps full screen - splashtop keeps the android softkeys on screen and it screws with mirroring. Is there a good way to get a solution working?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Manky posted:

Does anyone have experience with those android-on-an-hdmi-sticks? I'm thinking about getting one just to run splashtop streamer but I'm uncertain of a few things. The one feature I need is to be able to run apps full screen - splashtop keeps the android softkeys on screen and it screws with mirroring. Is there a good way to get a solution working?

Why not just get a phone with an HDMI port?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fuzz posted:

That's like 4-10 times more expensive.

Manky posted:

The Android HDMI sticks usually do not display the Android soft buttons at all. Obviously this varies on the stick, but in general they will not show them.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
Oh XDA:

num1gever posted:

No, I've physically removed the power button because I was tired of the power button been pressed accidently when in my pocket.
I power on my phone simply by removing the battery and very quickly getting it back (in a manner of 0.5 second), so the capacitors in the phone still have some juice and they fire up the phone.

About getting into recovery \ download - if the phone is powered on I use gestures with the app "custom gestures".
if I have a bootloop or stuck in boot animation I use adb \ to get to download mode I use the usb jig.

To lock the phone I use a variety of methods - like double pressing the home button \ gesture \ floating button.

So thats it , nice huh?

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Proof that non-removeable batteries are bad for consumers. :v:

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Fuzz posted:

My Nexus 10 has HDMI and it works pretty well, but I want a dedicated device.

Install Gentoo posted:

The Android HDMI sticks usually do not display the Android soft buttons at all. Obviously this varies on the stick, but in general they will not show them.

Is that right? Thanks, that's good news.

I'm sorry if this isn't the right thread, by the way, but is there a recommended stick? The UG007 II looks good, since I'm really only going to be streaming video.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What is an "Android HDMI stick" anyway? I'm intrigued.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Tunga posted:

What is an "Android HDMI stick" anyway? I'm intrigued.

I have one actually and it's literally what it says. A little stick device that plugs into the HDMI port on your TV and runs Android.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

nimper posted:

I have one actually and it's literally what it says. A little stick device that plugs into the HDMI port on your TV and runs Android.

How do you control it?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

AppleCobbler posted:

How do you control it?

Blootooth (why the gently caress did I type that, I'm leaving it)usually, or over the network with something like a phone. It's basically a phone or tablet without the screen. It's pretty amazing what you can get for a few multiples of :tenbux:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hyY6_9SPTo

awwwww yeeeeh (gets better)

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Manky posted:

Splashtop doesn't have to always show the softkeys. I use it with my TF201 all the time, and the softkeys only come up if you hit the keyboard button. If you hit the back button once with the keyboard up, it will go away.

Works like a charm!

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Interesting- there's a rooted ROM linked for it in the description. That'd be cool to use.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Interesting- there's a rooted ROM linked for it in the description. That'd be cool to use.

Yeah they're really neat - in a way it's a bit like the Raspberry Pi, in the way people are using them for media centres, but usually with things like WiFi included and internal memory, so they're pretty much ready to go. They're often sold as a way of making a regular TV 'smart', which is a good way of putting it - I thought it would be great for my gran, set up the launcher with all the on-demand TV apps on the homescreen and she's good to go. You could even add a webcam for Skype later or something. If I could connect in remotely and control things if she ever gets stuck, it would be perfect

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
This stick is supposed to be really good if you're in the UK and want to run Plex or XBMC: http://www.amazon.co.uk/JUSTOP-Android-Internet-Adapter-Watching/dp/B00A8FWITI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361833689&sr=8-1
This stick is good for if you're in the US, nearly identical hardware: http://www.amazon.com/Computer-Dual-core-Android-RK3066-ownshop/dp/B009PJ3AZ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362759539&sr=8-1&keywords=MK809

AppleCobbler posted:

How do you control it?

They all have bluetooth, so bluetooth trackpads, mice, and keyboards can be paired for control, as well as Bluetooth game controllers. Some have a USB port on them so that you can attach wired or wireless with usb dongle input as well. A few have the ability to be hooked up to an IR receiver to be controlled by a regular universal remote.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 8, 2013

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

This question has probably been asked several times but I scanned the OP and a few links and didn't find an answer. I have a G2 / Desire Z still running stock carrier-updated Gingerbread. I'm planning on rooting it tonight and my original plan was to install Cyanogen but it looks like Cmod support for the G2 ends at 7.2 which is also Gingerbread based. I was wondering if there is a hardware reason why it shouldn't be updated to an ICS based ROM (or at least something newer than 2.3) or if it was just too much trouble to support a three year old device? If there are other ROMs that are better suited, what are they?

For the record, this is my fourth Android phone and I have successfully rooted the three previous (G1 and two myTouch Slides), I just didn't bother with this one for a while.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Frozen-Solid posted:

Splashtop doesn't have to always show the softkeys. I use it with my TF201 all the time, and the softkeys only come up if you hit the keyboard button. If you hit the back button once with the keyboard up, it will go away

I guess it must be a software difference, I wish it behaved that way on the N10. Hitting the back button only brings up a prompt asking if I'd like to disconnect, unless the keyboard is up, in which case it just closes the keyboard.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Dross posted:

This question has probably been asked several times but I scanned the OP and a few links and didn't find an answer. I have a G2 / Desire Z still running stock carrier-updated Gingerbread. I'm planning on rooting it tonight and my original plan was to install Cyanogen but it looks like Cmod support for the G2 ends at 7.2 which is also Gingerbread based. I was wondering if there is a hardware reason why it shouldn't be updated to an ICS based ROM (or at least something newer than 2.3) or if it was just too much trouble to support a three year old device? If there are other ROMs that are better suited, what are they?

For the record, this is my fourth Android phone and I have successfully rooted the three previous (G1 and two myTouch Slides), I just didn't bother with this one for a while.
I'm pretty sure the reason is because the internal partition for the system is way too small for 4.0+. There might be a way to modify the HBOOT like you could with the Passion to wedge one in but even if you could I'd imagine the weak hardware would make it run like a dog.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's also extremely unlikely anyone in this thread has first hand experience with the Desire Z since it's approaching two and a half years old, it was based on the alread-six-month-old-at-the-time original Desire internals, and it was a somewhat-niche slider design released at a time when most people had accepted that touchscreens were The Future. In fact probably the only reason is has any kind of modern(ish) ROMs available at all is the fact that it's the technological second cousin of the Nexus One.

The best you can do is probably to read around on XDA (yes, sorry) which seems to have a bunch of ROMs available based on different Android versions and see if you can find one that works for you:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=758

Sadly your phone has really already past the point where the hardware is going to struggle with newer versions, the drivers aren't being updated any more, and most developers will have moved on to newer devices.

(If this post sounds disproportionately cynical it's because I've been on a Charlie Brooker marathon, apologies!)

Tunga fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Mar 9, 2013

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

It should also be mentioned that the G1 and Passion could be modded to fit and use these outsized ROMs (for the devices) because they had an unlocked bootloader. The G2 did not and in fact had a lot of tricks for the community to prevent them from doing the exact thing you need to do to get them to reformat the entirety of the internal storage. gfree was the go-to method with the G2 and assuming you can root you can install whatever but when it comes to reformatting the storage so it'd be big enough to install a 4.0+ ROM, I'm not sure the aftermarket community ever got that far.

It doesn't help that it has a sub-1GHz single core processor that never got the kind of official support that the other Qualcomm devices of the era did. I can't imagine Ice Cream Sandwich would run acceptably on it even if the drivers had been ported successfully to work with it.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Yeah, that's why I still have a phone this old actually -- I'm one of those dinosaurs that can't let go of their hardware keyboard. Thanks guys, it looks like 2.3 is still the way to go.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Does it matter where I get my gapps package when I am going to flash them on a ROM?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

LastInLine posted:

It should also be mentioned that the G1 and Passion could be modded to fit and use these outsized ROMs (for the devices) because they had an unlocked bootloader. The G2 did not and in fact had a lot of tricks for the community to prevent them from doing the exact thing you need to do to get them to reformat the entirety of the internal storage. gfree was the go-to method with the G2 and assuming you can root you can install whatever but when it comes to reformatting the storage so it'd be big enough to install a 4.0+ ROM, I'm not sure the aftermarket community ever got that far.

It doesn't help that it has a sub-1GHz single core processor that never got the kind of official support that the other Qualcomm devices of the era did. I can't imagine Ice Cream Sandwich would run acceptably on it even if the drivers had been ported successfully to work with it.

I saw someone on YouTube who installed ICS on the G1, it ran like rear end.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

b0nes posted:

Does it matter where I get my gapps package when I am going to flash them on a ROM?
Unless your ROM thread lists something specific, use the chart here to find the correct package as determined by the version of Android which the ROM is based on.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Mar 10, 2013

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

b0nes posted:

The "official" repository of GApps is at goo.im - formerly goo-inside.me. You should get it from there unless there's something wrong with their package that you need to address with an "unofficial" package.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I need some help because this phone is driving me insane.

I'm still on my epic 4g touch which was running AOKP, but I started noticing that some calls just weren't coming through for some reason and going straight to voicemail. I'm currently waiting for some prospective job offers to call back so I figured maybe the xda thread would have an update for me to fix a pretty huge problem, but there weren't any. Apparently the dev stopped working on it so I got led to a new thread that the dev had also stopped working on before I even managed to get to it. I thought I would do pretty well with roms if I just stuck to AOKP/cyanogenmod and didn't use anything with a stupid/"witty" name, but apparently the CM team quit working on the device as well. So my choices are now:

- CyanogenMod 10.1 WILD FOR THE NIGHT: What I'm currently using now because anything is better than having a phone that can do lots of useless poo poo but has trouble being an actual phone. Except this rom has gyro issues so auto-rotate is hosed, and though I haven't used it yet apparently there are gps issues with maps/navigation.

- AOKP JB 4.2.2 Magical Unicorn: I refuse to load anything that calls itself Magical Unicorn on my phone. :colbert:

- Any of the other roms with dumb sounding names that all apparently do the same thing.

Are there any roms I can install that don't have issues doing basic phone activities or should I just go back to stock? And if I do want to go back to stock, how do I do that? All I've found are one click tools for unrooting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wrist Watch posted:

I need some help because this phone is driving me insane.

I'm still on my epic 4g touch which was running AOKP, but I started noticing that some calls just weren't coming through for some reason and going straight to voicemail. I'm currently waiting for some prospective job offers to call back so I figured maybe the xda thread would have an update for me to fix a pretty huge problem, but there weren't any. Apparently the dev stopped working on it so I got led to a new thread that the dev had also stopped working on before I even managed to get to it. I thought I would do pretty well with roms if I just stuck to AOKP/cyanogenmod and didn't use anything with a stupid/"witty" name, but apparently the CM team quit working on the device as well. So my choices are now:

- CyanogenMod 10.1 WILD FOR THE NIGHT: What I'm currently using now because anything is better than having a phone that can do lots of useless poo poo but has trouble being an actual phone. Except this rom has gyro issues so auto-rotate is hosed, and though I haven't used it yet apparently there are gps issues with maps/navigation.

- AOKP JB 4.2.2 Magical Unicorn: I refuse to load anything that calls itself Magical Unicorn on my phone. :colbert:

- Any of the other roms with dumb sounding names that all apparently do the same thing.

Are there any roms I can install that don't have issues doing basic phone activities or should I just go back to stock? And if I do want to go back to stock, how do I do that? All I've found are one click tools for unrooting.
The SGS2 is complete garbage and will never work properly with user-built ROMs. Fortunately it also won't work properly on stock so at least they aren't doing worse than Samsung.