Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Armanky
Feb 15, 2013

"Kissing is sex."
-George Costanza

Zaxoran posted:

I can't help but think that whoever committed this murder had to have come from the entrance to the dining room (or at least has to have been in the dining room near the entrance) simply because of this:

And this:

Judging by Saijoni's reaction, someone (likely the murderer) ran past them through the dark. At this point Togami had retrieved his nightvision goggles from his case and noticed this person running, and thus decided to run after them. The running person then ran into Komaeda, judging by their reaction. If you draw a line between these two, you can see that the person came from the general direction of the entrance towards the AC/murder table. Perhaps then they made a fake-out grab for the knife in order to make Togami notice it, then proceeded to make their escape. The only way I could see this happening from the person's angle would be if they somehow removed the air conditioning unit and climbed into the vent behind it, thus leading here:

Using the vents as transport would theoretically allow fast travel throughout the lodge. The fact that the bloody tablecloth got into the storage room basket so quickly adds to this; perhaps it was swapped with a cleaner one so that the murder would be noticed less quickly and so the murderer would have more time to prepare themselves. How the person got underneath the lodge to stab Togami is still unknown, perhaps Gundam's testimony will shed light on this. If the entrance was somewhere else in the lodge, however, then the AC route would definitely help with that. I'm still not sure how the killer obtained the skewers, though. It is possible that they left one out under the floorboards before the party, but it seems unlikely that someone grabbed it from the duralumin case during the blackout due to time constraints. If the cook was the killer, he must have had to think fast in hiding a skewer since it seemed like he didn't expect Togami to confescate them from the meat. Lastly, in order to see during their escape, the killer might have hidden nightvision goggles in the vents and grabbed them as they climbed into it. Since the killer clumsily bumped into two people while running to the A/C, this could be evidence that they were blind until reaching it. There was only one pair of nightvision goggles found on the murder scene, so the other pair could still be in the A/C.

So wait, unless I'm misunderstanding, you're implying that in pitch darkness the murderer ran clumsily across the room, removed THIS gigantic white apparatus:

And escaped behind it while somehow managing to reinstall it from inside the vent without making a sound?

I applaud your thinking outside the box, but I can't imagine anybody removing that thing WITHOUT the darkness or the pressure of committing a murder. I think Saionji's remark was just due to people stumbling around blindly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

idonotlikepeas posted:

In fairness to you, it really is a very dumb way to murder someone. There are way too many things that can go wrong.
Well, we probably can't expect the first trial to be that clever. Not because of any meta reasons, but because being the first to try something is always a bitch. Unless you're supremely confident, a clever person isn't going to be the first to walk into this murder scenario. They have to see how the trials go, how clever the players are, and who the clever players are. It's too risky to murder someone without any of that information.

Basically, the first murder is going to be more impulsive than methodical.

Nanomashoes posted:

What is it with Japanese villains and constructing elaborate versions of Mt. Rushmore with their faces on it?
I really have no clue, Mt. Rushmore never struck me as that important of a monument. The thing that stands out to me, personally, is that the Black Hills were more or less stolen from the Lakota and thus there is a lot of controversy around them. I would expect that kind of sinister undertone to be why villains take control of it, except for the fact that the game is from Japan. I doubt the Japanese have very in depth knowledge of American History.

EDIT: More specifically, knowledge of American History that has nothing to do with the rest of the world.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 10, 2013

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
It might just be a situation similar to Big Ben in England where to a British person it's not a big deal. So to Americans, Mt.Rushmore might not be a big thing, but in other nations it's an iconic thing about the country.

Zaxoran
Dec 26, 2012

Armanky posted:

So wait, unless I'm misunderstanding, you're implying that in pitch darkness the murderer ran clumsily across the room, removed THIS gigantic white apparatus:

And escaped behind it while somehow managing to reinstall it from inside the vent without making a sound?

I applaud your thinking outside the box, but I can't imagine anybody removing that thing WITHOUT the darkness or the pressure of committing a murder. I think Saionji's remark was just due to people stumbling around blindly.

Mabey the murderer loosened the A/C from the wall a bit pre-murder to make it easier? Or perhaps the night vision goggles were obtained by the murderer earlier, as in from under the table where the knife was. This could mean that, after the murder, the bloody goggles that Togami was wearing were replaced with the ones that the murderer used and the bloody ones were quickly thrown in the vent. Why this was done is beyond me, but it could explain the odd positioning of the goggles by the body.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.

Nanomashoes posted:

What is it with Japanese villains and constructing elaborate versions of Mt. Rushmore with their faces on it?

It could be looked at the vanity of man as he tries to impose his will onto the land and making it to reflect his own image as a sort of god. Sounds very megalomaniacal and illustrates how self-centered and terrible the villain (i.e. Monobear) is.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Is it possible the blackout plan was originally Nagito's, but Hanamura saw him setting it up, and decided to use it for himself. Perhaps Nagito planted the knife, and tampered with the A/C, but Hanamura set up the irons. So the blackout happened before Nagito was expecting it to happen. He goes for the knife, but Togami (wearing night vision goggles) sees him, and tries to grapple with him. Somehow he ends up under the table, and Hanamura skewers him. Still doesn't exactly explain why Togami was under the table, but it seems the most likely sequence of events.

Miao93
Feb 24, 2013
It makes me sad to assume that Nagito wanted to kill someone. While suspicious, his attitude and actions could also be read as Ingenue/Heroine/Peacekeeper sort of thing. I believe he may have set up the knife, but perhaps it was more along the lines of protection just-in-case? Sort of like how Togami had his case full of defensive weapons- perhaps Nagito placed that knife there in a similar fashion?

I know it may not be entirely plausible, but since he always advocated peace, I sincerely hope he had no plans to hurt another person.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

^^^ That looks great! Well done

Spatula City posted:

Is it possible the blackout plan was originally Nagito's, but Hanamura saw him setting it up, and decided to use it for himself. Perhaps Nagito planted the knife, and tampered with the A/C, but Hanamura set up the irons. So the blackout happened before Nagito was expecting it to happen. He goes for the knife, but Togami (wearing night vision goggles) sees him, and tries to grapple with him. Somehow he ends up under the table, and Hanamura skewers him. Still doesn't exactly explain why Togami was under the table, but it seems the most likely sequence of events.

This is what I'm betting on. Togami ended up under the table during the grappling, which is why he got stabbed there.

I just really don't see who else it could be at this point. All of the evidence points to Hanamura being the killer and Nagito at least wanting to kill someone.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

This is beautiful.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Zaxoran posted:

Mabey the murderer loosened the A/C from the wall a bit pre-murder to make it easier? Or perhaps the night vision goggles were obtained by the murderer earlier, as in from under the table where the knife was. This could mean that, after the murder, the bloody goggles that Togami was wearing were replaced with the ones that the murderer used and the bloody ones were quickly thrown in the vent. Why this was done is beyond me, but it could explain the odd positioning of the goggles by the body.

Your theory is insane and you should write a book about it. Those A/Cs don't need vents, your killer is sprinting and climbing everywhere in the dark and also carrying an extra pair of night-vision goggles to swap with Togami's?

Looking forward to the trials again. I hope they shook things up for the sequel. There's certainly a lot that can come up in this one.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

We need more posters in here like you, Suzuki Method.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

If this is, in fact, a direct-continuity sequel to DR1, and Mr. Porkfeet is the real Byakuya Togami...

quote:

...then this is the only correct answer. :catbert:

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Zaxoran posted:

Sure, this explains JFK handily, but how did Togami die?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Mazed posted:

If this is, in fact, a direct-continuity sequel to DR1, and Mr. Porkfeet is the real Byakuya Togami...

...then this is the only correct answer. :catbert:

He ate himself fat specifically so that wouldn't happen! She only kills people who turn her on. So much effort and it just made him easier to stab in the dark...

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Krinkle posted:

He ate himself fat specifically so that wouldn't happen! She only kills people who turn her on. So much effort and it just made him easier to stab in the dark...

That depends, of course, on whether or not our "rotten girl" can also appreciate big beautiful men. :v:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

This conversation makes me hope against hope that the execution method for our killer is being locked in a room with Syo, who's eager to explain just how much the serial-killer community frowns on kill-stealing. She had dibs, dammit. She had dibs!

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
I have no idea who did it, but I'm starting to think the floorboard thing didn't happen or is a red herring. It seems like emphasis is being placed on that lamp being set up above the knife and it even appears in the drawing with the cord labeled, so I think during the blackout someone originally inside the room felt along the wall, found the powercord, followed it to the table where they stashed the knife and went under for it. Togami saw it with his night vision goggles, charged and went under after the killer and they wrestled and he got stabbed. The killer then followed the cord back to the wall, which tripped Mikan while he was lifting it. That distraction gave the killer time to hide the weapon, etc. They expected to have more time to take care of those details, but Monobear hosed it up by switching the lights back on. I don't know about the bloody tablecloth, but it is kind of weird Nagito was questioning whether it was really blood or not, so it could be another distraction.

**edit** I just remembered that it couldn't have been the knife that was the murder weapon and I am a smelly doofus who also is as smart as a baby

ParliamentOfDogs fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 10, 2013

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
I don't think I've ever seen it mentioned, but what happens if you pick the wrong person at the end of a trial? Does the game end if you make the incorrect associations or miss pieces of evidence or just screw up the minigames?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

What if it IS the chef, huh? Wouldn't you be embarrassed :colbert:

But seriously though, I'd bet on Hanamura being the murderer, especially if a secret passage under the cabin is discovered. Assuming Gundam didn't draft a hamster to get his earring back, mind you.

WeaponBoy posted:

I don't think I've ever seen it mentioned, but what happens if you pick the wrong person at the end of a trial? Does the game end if you make the incorrect associations or miss pieces of evidence or just screw up the minigames?

The game just ends with a game over screemn, if I recall DR1 properly.

thelarue
Mar 5, 2013
What if the blackout was cause there was too much poo poo on? The AC was set for the time of the blackout, and there were like 3 irons in the storage room. The culprit need only turn on all 3 irons and wait until the AC comes on. After that, they sneak into a trap door in that room (? if there is one ?) with a clean tablecloth covering their clothes to stab Togami and then put the sheet away afterwards content that he probably killed the person.

My only problem is... how the heck did he know Togami would be in that particular spot? I know there is the glow in the dark paint, but that wouldn't have guaranteed anything. I guess if the murder failed, it wouldn't have been bad for the murderer since he could just sneak back.

I am in the camp that the chef did it... but how did he plant the knife? Where did he have time to know about the trap door and underground area? Maybe this is like a failed attempt at being a traitor lol

The traitor is supposed to kill first if no one else does, right?

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

thelarue posted:

I am in the camp that the chef did it... but how did he plant the knife? Where did he have time to know about the trap door and underground area? Maybe this is like a failed attempt at being a traitor lol

He had time when Nagito was out buying the carpet. I know the second I'm left alone I look for trap doors.

thelarue
Mar 5, 2013

Popo posted:

He had time when Nagito was out buying the carpet. I know the second I'm left alone I look for trap doors.

Oh drat, I had forgotten about that. Excerrent.

I am super sure the chef did it. His whole "This isn't real" was totally an act! Also he is voiced by Lelouche...! Somehow relevant.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I won't help but find it a little weird if both first murderers are this similar, honestly.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Justin_Brett posted:

I won't help but find it a little weird if both first murderers are this similar, honestly.

How are they at all similar? I am not seeing any connections.

thelarue
Mar 5, 2013

Krinkle posted:

How are they at all similar? I am not seeing any connections.

I think the idea of :

Person A is planning to kill someone but fails, so Person B ends up killing instead.

People think Nagito probably tried to kill, but was stopped by Togami.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
I could see the chef killing a female after being rejected more likely then killing Togami.
Togami didn't give him too many limitations to cook so that reason doesn't even seem to likely.

Also great art, monobear looks so hug-gable for a homicide loving bear.

thelarue
Mar 5, 2013

SectumSempra posted:

I could see the chef killing a female after being rejected more likely then killing Togami.
Togami didn't give him too many limitations to cook so that reason doesn't even seem to likely.

Yeah, but who has access to the skewer? I doubt it has anything to do with Nagito, since Nagito couldn't have skewered him under the floorboards.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

SectumSempra posted:

SHSL Detective.

Armanky
Feb 15, 2013

"Kissing is sex."
-George Costanza

SectumSempra posted:

Did Maizono have a personal reason for wanting to kill Leon? The entire game is a motive to kill, nobody NEEDS a personal reason to do so. Besides, regardless of who you kill, you're attempting to kill everybody.

In fact, committing a motive-driven murder is a pretty bad idea, since you want to stay away from suspicion as much as possible.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

SectumSempra posted:

Clearly he killed Togami after being rejected by Togami.

Armanky
Feb 15, 2013

"Kissing is sex."
-George Costanza

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Clearly he killed Togami after being rejected by Togami.

There's not a soul on this island I doubt he's made a move on.

Even the Mono siblings.

Even the robots.

saihate
Oct 16, 2009

ID: ththththt
PASS: hthththth
I think it's pretty hard to guess motivation at this moment since we haven't done as many free time events. Plus I think it's DR style to reveal them in the middle of the trial, to create as many twists and turns. Like Mondo's motive.

I also think it's Hanamura, since he could've poisoned Pekoyama to get her out of the way and create someone more suspicious. Nagito is suspicious, but i don't think he's a murderer. It's possible he was doing some unfavorable things that might break everyone's trust.

thelarue
Mar 5, 2013

saihate posted:

I think it's pretty hard to guess motivation at this moment since we haven't done as many free time events. Plus I think it's DR style to reveal them in the middle of the trial, to create as many twists and turns. Like Mondo's motive.

I also think it's Hanamura, since he could've poisoned Pekoyama to get her out of the way and create someone more suspicious. Nagito is suspicious, but i don't think he's a murderer. It's possible he was doing some unfavorable things that might break everyone's trust.

Or better yet, he made sure some food had laxatives to ensure someone was stuck in the shitter. Makes the missing person all the more frame-able!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

thelarue posted:

Or better yet, he made sure some food had laxatives to ensure someone was stuck in the shitter. Makes the missing person all the more frame-able!

Except that people keep forgetting Peko took her own food. Unless he poisoned all the food or somehow knew which food she was going to take. Owari seems fine, so I don't think it's the food that's causing it. The bathroom's probably a red herring at this point - Peko was likely stuck in it during the party, and for whatever reason was too embarassed to tell Nidai she was the one using it. Nidai says it was vacated after Togami's body was found, which was when Peko showed up again.

I think it's more likely to be Hanamura than Nagito, due to meta-reasons (I'm not sure they'd kill off Nagito that early unless it's a fake-out like Mukuro), but I can't really say how he'd do it at this point, it's a bit over my head.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

If the bathroom is where the hidden passage is located then it makes no sense to give people food poisoning. If you're trying to create an alibi that definitely nobody attempted to leave the room and walk past the bathroom to the kitchen/office/used-the-hallway-at-all at any point then giving two people food poisoning does make sense.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Hm, I did some looking back, and the one like on Hanamura's profile is Mom.
Given that its very likely that he's the killer, I am reminded of Norman Bates.

thelarue
Mar 5, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Except that people keep forgetting Peko took her own food. Unless he poisoned all the food or somehow knew which food she was going to take. Owari seems fine, so I don't think it's the food that's causing it. The bathroom's probably a red herring at this point - Peko was likely stuck in it during the party, and for whatever reason was too embarassed to tell Nidai she was the one using it. Nidai says it was vacated after Togami's body was found, which was when Peko showed up again.

I think it's more likely to be Hanamura than Nagito, due to meta-reasons (I'm not sure they'd kill off Nagito that early unless it's a fake-out like Mukuro), but I can't really say how he'd do it at this point, it's a bit over my head.

I don't remember what kinds of food there was, but what if he just sprinkled some onto single servings of cooked meat or something? It wouldn't matter who picked it up, the trap was set. Plus with Togami and Owari... lots of food was bound to be eaten.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

thelarue posted:

I don't remember what kinds of food there was, but what if he just sprinkled some onto single servings of cooked meat or something? It wouldn't matter who picked it up, the trap was set. Plus with Togami and Owari... lots of food was bound to be eaten.

Peko volunteering to guard the case in the office has to be significant at some point, and even if nobody poisoned the food, Nidai needing to go to the bathroom would have given an unaccountable alibi anyway if nobody occupied it. I'm not sure how much Nagito knows about whatever was troubling Peko, but Nagito is more suspicious with regards to Peko than Hanamura is.

Honestly, it's kind of reaching to assume Hanamura poisoned the food - we have no evidence there was anything that could be used to tamper the food with the first place (if there was, it'd have been mentioned when we were talking to Saoinji in the store), and as said before, Owari seems to be perfectly fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I'm not seeing Peko's condition as poisoning at this point. She prepared her own food, no one else is sick. I am willing to bet it will come up at the trial though, but I'm leaning towards it being character development for her (trying to become stronger to overcome some kind of illness like Sakura's friend in DR1, maybe?)

• Locked thread