Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Philthy posted:

What kind of Bose speakers? Are they 4ohm by chance? (Should say by the connectors) Sounds like they may be overloading your system causing it to shut down.

These are the speakers, and yes they are 4 ohm.

Here is the weird thing, though: I've had this system set up for at least 4 years with no problems. We moved to a new house, and all of a sudden this is happening. Meaning?

a. The receiver just decided to crap out right after the move

b. Something is different about this setup? The only major difference is that I switched from TWC to U-Verse, but I fail to see how that's different since I'm using the same exact setup to run the audio from the TV to the receiver (composite cable). Could there be some sort of power issue with the outlet in the new place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Redo your wiring from receiver to speakers. Sounds like there's a loose strand of wire somewhere that keeps overloading the receiver. Check also that the wires are insulated all the way through.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Hob_Gadling posted:

Redo your wiring from receiver to speakers. Sounds like there's a loose strand of wire somewhere that keeps overloading the receiver. Check also that the wires are insulated all the way through.

And if that doesn't take care of it, I'd look at the wires and connections inside the speakers too (if you can). Those connections can corrode or come loose over time.

HalteredEgo
Nov 22, 2006

No Regrets. Thats my motto. That and everybody Wang-Chung tonight.
Hey guys,

Here's a good challenge for you. Im gonna click every one of these links to compare prices and ratings but im gonna go in to my local Hifi spots and bestbuy to get a listen to them.

I'm looking for a receiver to build a 7.1 Zone 2 ready system. My new house is wired in the living room for a 5.1 and the last owner was nice enough to leave two very nice speakers in the patio area that I would love to utilize with their own source. I'd like to have friends over to watch something in the living room but to have the other two speakers listen to Pandora, radio, etc. My research has led me to a Zone 2 setup but i would like some personal perspective for this.

Thanks.

Also, What would I need WiFi for on my receiver?

I don't need AirPlay because I have an Apple TV. Gonna hook up DirecTv through it as well as a Ps3.

So far 3 HDMIs.

HalteredEgo fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 10, 2013

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

the posted:

These are the speakers, and yes they are 4 ohm.

Here is the weird thing, though: I've had this system set up for at least 4 years with no problems. We moved to a new house, and all of a sudden this is happening. Meaning?

a. The receiver just decided to crap out right after the move

b. Something is different about this setup? The only major difference is that I switched from TWC to U-Verse, but I fail to see how that's different since I'm using the same exact setup to run the audio from the TV to the receiver (composite cable). Could there be some sort of power issue with the outlet in the new place?

Well, what you're describing is what an amp does if it can't drive the speakers properly. It will shut down. The more volume you use, the more it'll push to drive them. If they've worked fine in the past, I am thinking part of the amp in the receiver has died, and can no longer keep up with the load with what is left working.

Also, yes, make sure the speaker cable is hooked up properly with no shorts, or having it backwards somewhere.

HalteredEgo posted:

Also, What would I need WiFi for on my receiver?

Depends what the wifi lets you do. If it lets you connect to the receiver with an ipod and select what tunes to play while you're at the grill, it may be worthwhile. Apple TV lets you use a remote app, but it sucks so bad...

Philthy fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 11, 2013

d6r9b
May 5, 2003
I'm looking at getting a home audio system with my tax return money. I'm not really sure what to get. I live in a condo right now but am trying to move to a house in a year. So i don't want anything that will piss of the neighbors right now but want something nice for a house. My budget is $1000ish. Its going to used mostly for movies but will be used for music and video games too. So any recommendations?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Currently, I have speakers from a crappy theater-in-a-box. I have a $50 Crutchfield gift card, and I was thinking about getting a decent pair of bookshelf speakers for the front that I could transition to the back when I can afford floor standing fronts.

I've already upgraded the receiver to an Onkyo NR-509. It's slow going, because I have to do this without pissing off my wife. :)

Here is what I was looking at:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107R150/Polk-Audio-R150.html

$100 after gift card was my wife's sweet spot, but if these are significantly better, then I can probably distract her long enough to get them:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107TSI100B/Polk-Audio-TSi100-Black.html

Alternatively, I could pick up a powered woofer - I'm currently going without any kind of bass.

Unfortunately, Crutchfield doesn't have the PSW10, so I'd have to go with this:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107PSW...dio-PSW108.html

I'm not set on Polk, but since I have the gift card and Polk seems like the only decent brand on there, that's what I'm looking at.

Suggestions?

KillHour fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Mar 17, 2013

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

d6r9b posted:

I'm looking at getting a home audio system with my tax return money. I'm not really sure what to get. I live in a condo right now but am trying to move to a house in a year. So i don't want anything that will piss of the neighbors right now but want something nice for a house. My budget is $1000ish. Its going to used mostly for movies but will be used for music and video games too. So any recommendations?

Check out the second post in the thread, I think jonathan or someone came up with good recommendations a few weeks ago and added it to the OP.

I don't know much about this stuff but the general advice around here for budget systems is don't skimp on the important stuff: Receiver, sub (if you want a sub), and front speakers. Rears play much less of a role, and unless you absolutely need surround sound a 3.1 setup will be more than adequate.

Onkyo is the go-to recommendation in this thread for receivers because right now they offer the best bang for your buck. The previous model NR709 is a powerhouse for the money (~$450 from accessoriesforless refurbed), the NR609 is the defacto recommendation if you don't need all the power/options of the 709 (~$270 refurbed from same website) and it more than adequate for most applications. The newer models (616 and 717) don't have the same audio processing engine and aren't as powerful or something, so they are not recommended compared to the previous year's models.

d6r9b
May 5, 2003
This is Amazon's DotD. http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V57...XEDDE7T4G4NKSDA

Hows this for a reciever?

LaserKatz
Mar 8, 2013

d6r9b posted:

I was wondering this too -it's a big discount and it has decent reviews, though there are a limited number of them. It's the Yamaha RX-V573 7.1-Channel Network AV Receiver.

Here are some of the features listed on Amazon:
Product Features
7-channel powerful surround supported in HD Audio format decoding: Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio; Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD High Resolution Audio
Network receiver with AirPlay, allows music streaming from Mac, PC, iPod, iPhone, iPad
4K pass-through for next generation super high resolution displays, and HDMI (4 in/1 out) with 3D and Audio Return Channel
AV Controller app for operating various functions from an iPod, iPhone, iPad or Android phones
YPAO sound optimization for automatic speaker setup

LaserKatz
Mar 8, 2013
For what it's worth I decided not to pull the trigger yesterday. I was only looking for a 5:1 receiver and there seem to be Onkyos that have the features that I'm looking for at a similar/lower price-point, plus I'm in the middle of a renovation so I won't actually get to use the receiver for a while.

The receiver that I now have my eye on is the Onkyo TX-NR414 (here: http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR414-5-1-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B0077V88YU/ ) for $229. The biggest plus in my mind is that it has 6 HDMI inputs (vs. 4 for the Yamaha yesterday).

I'm still far away from needing anything though, so I'm sure that this will change before I get something.

Sleepstupid
Feb 23, 2009

d6r9b posted:

I just bought the next model lower (RX-V 473) and I'm having some issues with it. Here's a copy/paste of my post at avs:

quote:

Got a new RX-V473 and i have issues with both my XBOX360 and PS3 (I think). Both are hooked up via HDMI cables to the receiver.

XBOX: This receiver seems to have a tough time "recognizing" the audio form the XBOX. When I turn everything on I'll get one of two scenarios...Sometimes there is no sound at all, but video is fine. Other times I'll get sound (and video) but it will be displayed on the receiver as PCM instead of Dolby Digital, and will only show 2 speakers in use on the receiver display. Sometimes I have to restart the XBOX to fix it, sometimes it's the receiver that needs to be restarted. Is there anything I can do to fix this? The HDMI cable is atleast v1.3 and I think 1.4 but i'd have to double-check.

PS3: When watching Game of Thrones on Blu-Ray, the receiver shows PCM and all 5 speakers are "lit up" on the display, but the subwoofer is not. Is there something I'm missing in the setup on either the receiver or the PS3?

Thanks in advance, this thing is really making me regret upgrading from my old non-HDMI Onkyo, and depending on what happens, I may just try and return the thing to amazon.

Anyone have any ideas?

d6r9b
May 5, 2003
So i was looking around and found these speakers for $299 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001202C44/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER and i was looking at an onkyo receiver. Amazon has the NR809 for $559 with prime. Is the NR809 worth the extra $83 over the NR709 from accessoriesforless for $473 with shipping?

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

d6r9b posted:

So i was looking around and found these speakers for $299 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001202C44/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER and i was looking at an onkyo receiver. Amazon has the NR809 for $559 with prime. Is the NR809 worth the extra $83 over the NR709 from accessoriesforless for $473 with shipping?

Differences: 1.2A higher wall rating so about 150W more overall available. Front optical audio input, front L-R audio RCA jacks. Rear USB port, IR out for chaining remotes, and zone 3 support. The 809 also apparently has a better video scaler, and apparently can pass through 4k video (that is rather unlikely to ever be important). Also about 13 pounds more weight.

Is it worth it? Probably.

Also, it's out of stock right now but Monoprice has an exact clone of that speaker system. Same drivers, same everything but the logo. Even the manual is a find-replace of Energy.

Beardless Woman
May 5, 2004

M for Mysterious

jonathan posted:

Under $1200 3.1 System:
... awesome information ...
Same with the subwoofer. These speakers are good enough to be enjoyable without a subwoofer

Thanks for this information! I bought a new TV a couple of months ago and its terrible built-in sound finally forced me to have a look at a dedicated sound system. I built it over the last week or so.

This is my first "real" home theater - I've always relied on cheap home-theaters-in-a-box or the TV's speakers - and it has not disappointed in the slightest. This system is a beast. You may piss off your neighbors if the bass is turned up. I've shaken my couch and rattled cabinets with the sub.

The speakers also really, really good for music. I'm hearing things I've never heard before on CDs I've listened to a hundred times before. Now I feel like I need to head to the Headphones thread to pick up a decent pair. I didn't know how much I was missing out on!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Beardless Woman posted:

Thanks for this information! I bought a new TV a couple of months ago and its terrible built-in sound finally forced me to have a look at a dedicated sound system. I built it over the last week or so.

This is my first "real" home theater - I've always relied on cheap home-theaters-in-a-box or the TV's speakers - and it has not disappointed in the slightest. This system is a beast. You may piss off your neighbors if the bass is turned up. I've shaken my couch and rattled cabinets with the sub.

The speakers also really, really good for music. I'm hearing things I've never heard before on CDs I've listened to a hundred times before. Now I feel like I need to head to the Headphones thread to pick up a decent pair. I didn't know how much I was missing out on!

Thanks for the feedback. Post up some pictures in http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2385480

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Fry's has a sale this week on the SP-FS52 Pioneer speakers for 77 bucks a pop.

I'm really kicking around the idea of a 3.1 system for music and movies. I'm thinking 2 SP-FS52's, with the matching center, and a receiver of some sort.

I don't need anything fancy with the receiver like a second zone, but I do want some of the fancier features. Sirius XM streaming, an iOS app, nice GUI and 5 HDMI ports probably pushes me into one of the 7.2 network a/v receivers anyway. For a sub, Fry's has the PSW10 from Polk on sale for 107 each right now.

Figure 300 for a receiver and 350 for the speakers for a pretty decent setup.

Any of these receivers at Fry's on sale worth a drat? With Sales Tax, the local places are getting to be just as competitive as Amazon these days.

http://www.frys.com/ads/audio-video-television-cameras-portable-car-electronics#AdNavi
http://www.frys.com/ads/page18#AdNavi

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.
Have you guys got any suggestions as to an inexpensive but good universal remote?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Smegmalicious posted:

Have you guys got any suggestions as to an inexpensive but good universal remote?

Don't hold me to this, but I really don't care for usability. For me inserting the CD is a sort of ritual, and falling on the couch when the first notes start to play is The Thing.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Smegmalicious posted:

I got a Logitech 700 series for cheap and its been pretty sweet. Takes a while to set it up for the best use, but the software helps you with most of it.

Can control anything with an IR port and if its not in the database, it can learn it. took me 2hrs or so to get the activities set up correctly, and then customise which buttons on the remote controlled what functions for each activity.

Again, the software figures it out for the most part, but its nice to tweak what alternative functions you can use for certain devices. For example i have 4 soft keys on the LCD, so I associate each one with the most likely needed stuff (usually receiver menu or power or Xbox guide).

The ones with the LCD are definitely better since you can program those keys and not have to remember HOW you programmed them.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

quote:

Onkyo 709 (This is a bad rear end receiver. Better than anything else out there short of the newer Onkyo 818 and very cheap for the features. It's also upgradeable with pre-outs for adding additional amps.) $400
http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...Receiver/1.html

Any recommendations on an equivalent model to this? I need to buy the equipment from a specific set of shops and can't seem to find this one.

Is the 717 as good?

EDIT: It seems like it has less features. What is the next one in the line with a similar feature set?

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 23, 2013

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

Not an Anthem posted:

Question posed based on my brother in law's dilemma, but I will probably adapt a similar setup based on how his deployment goes.

My brother in law (and sister) just purchased an old but excellent house and have a small infant, aka, no budget to spend on "frivolous" things like hi-fi.

He's a techy apple guy to a point, he has a little wireless speaker he streams his iPad Pandora or whatever from, and they have a TV with the new (I think its DishTV) wireless TV receiver box, so that he can put the TV and cable box anywhere.

He's asking me how to setup a small multi-room av system on no budget and being a cheap bastard, I like that idea. From my pile of gently used electronics I can probably get the speakers sorted out for the rooms necessary, I am just trying to figure out an elegant and SMALL solution to an av system.

Don't need:
1) Bulk. Seriously, I think the only physical input will be the TV/cable box, and potentially an auxiliary if some sort of dongle or other device is the music streaming device. T-amps and other stuff are welcome.

Needs:
1) Plays TV output, 2.0 is fine
2) Plays stuff streamed to it by iPad/iPhone
3) Can broadcast to two or three rooms, not multizone, just a few output channels

Would be really cool if:
1) Turning on/off the different speaker channels could be done through the ipad/iphone and not physical buttons on the receiver

Having a lot of oollldd hifi gear myself I'm a "run wires everywhere and hide them best you can with cable race" guy, but I like the wifi everywhere/smart control thing if its economical. For this previous new years party my girlfriend and I cobbled together a few standalone ipod/iphone dockable speakers across her apartment and had airfoil repeat streams from the main computer, and it was great.

Any outside the box ideas are welcome, I'm just not well versed with all the boxes and gizmos out today.

This might work: http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-8050...s=Onkyo+tx-8050 You could use Speaker B plus either the Zone 2 or primary preamp outputs to do the other rooms. As long as you can get ethernet to it, you could use the controller app for it and stream music to it with an iDevice as well.

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.

Laserface posted:

I got a Logitech 700 series for cheap and its been pretty sweet. Takes a while to set it up for the best use, but the software helps you with most of it.

Can control anything with an IR port and if its not in the database, it can learn it. took me 2hrs or so to get the activities set up correctly, and then customise which buttons on the remote controlled what functions for each activity.

Again, the software figures it out for the most part, but its nice to tweak what alternative functions you can use for certain devices. For example i have 4 soft keys on the LCD, so I associate each one with the most likely needed stuff (usually receiver menu or power or Xbox guide).

The ones with the LCD are definitely better since you can program those keys and not have to remember HOW you programmed them.

What was cheap? They look like they go for $150+ on amazon. The 600's are a lot cheaper, did you play with any of those?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Smegmalicious posted:

What was cheap? They look like they go for $150+ on amazon. The 600's are a lot cheaper, did you play with any of those?

I got the 700 through a local daily deal site in Australia. It was $30. Now I see it was actually a pretty good deal!

I think the lower models have less devices they control at once. The limit on mine is 6 devices and 5 activities, I think.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Quick AV question:

I just set up a new desktop and connected it to my receiver (Onkyo TX-SR607) using HDMI. I can enable the TV as a 2nd monitor and send it the audio signal, no problem. However, oftentimes I want to send only an audio signal without having to go through the process of disabling my usual 2nd monitor, turning on and enabling the TV, etc. The receiver isn't listed under "Playback devices" unless I go through that whole process. Is there any way that I am missing to force Windows 7 to send an audio signal to the receiver without going through that whole process?

vvv Thanks for the heads up, reposted there. vvv

Salvor_Hardin fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 24, 2013

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I would ask here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2386006

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

demonachizer posted:

Any recommendations on an equivalent model to this? I need to buy the equipment from a specific set of shops and can't seem to find this one.

Is the 717 as good?

EDIT: It seems like it has less features. What is the next one in the line with a similar feature set?

Just quoting myself to say I ended up getting a Marantz SR6007. I hope it isn't a huge mistake.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

demonachizer posted:

Just quoting myself to say I ended up getting a Marantz SR6007. I hope it isn't a huge mistake.

The marantz lacks thx certification, which may mean that the amp is weaker than the onkyo, or it just may mean that they didn't bother with certification. THX select2 certified amps will do reference volume and handle speakers with impedance dips down to 4ohms, in rooms up to 3000ft^3. This means 105db for your 7 main speakers, and 115db for the subwoofer.

Can yours do that ? Who cares. Not very many people can listen at reference volume. It's louder than a movie theater and would be painful without a lot of room treatments. It very well might be to THX spec, and just didn't get the certification done, because they reserved that for a denon model that they charge more for.

So, thats the downside. Everything else matches or beats the 717. It has Audyssey XT, which is the second best offered. The 717 only has 2eq which is basic. 2eq is basically the same as Pioneer MCACC and Yamaha YPAO. Audyssey XT is much more advanced, and does a ton of filtering and EQ on your subwoofer which is where EQ is needed the most.

Also, that Marantz is loving pretty. When I purchased my 818, I really REALLY wanted a marantz, because of how nice they look. It's elegant and fancy. I settled on the 818 because it had some features I wanted that Marantz didnt offer in the 2012 lineup.

So, between the 717 or the Marantz, I would have chosen the Marantz for the XT calibration, and the looks. Good job. Be sure to post some pictures once you have it set up.

gargamale
Oct 11, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Mr_Ruckus posted:

Glad to hear that. I bought that center channel to go with my pair of older pioneer speakers, should be here tuesday. I still trying to decide on what subwoofer to get, though the one from that set is at the top of the list. I also have that same receiver and love it so far. Any complaints with the sub? My only fear was, it being 8 inches, it might not go low enough, but really I have no idea since I don't know much about home theater subwoofers.

I know I'm a few pages late, but I have 0 complaints with the sub. I actually had to back off the volume quite a bit as it was way too powerful. I listen to among, many things, some dubstep like Excision, Distance, and Stenchman. These subs do not fial to accurately convey the bass in these tracks.

An update on my system, I upgraded my PC's soundcard to an external DAC (Behringer UCA222), and music from my PC is even more amazing, and I didn't think that possible.

I cant afford the Pioneer FS52's right now, but am thinking of getting the Dayton B652's for use as rears.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

jonathan posted:

The marantz lacks thx certification, which may mean that the amp is weaker than the onkyo, or it just may mean that they didn't bother with certification. THX select2 certified amps will do reference volume and handle speakers with impedance dips down to 4ohms, in rooms up to 3000ft^3. This means 105db for your 7 main speakers, and 115db for the subwoofer.

Can yours do that ? Who cares. Not very many people can listen at reference volume. It's louder than a movie theater and would be painful without a lot of room treatments. It very well might be to THX spec, and just didn't get the certification done, because they reserved that for a denon model that they charge more for.

So, thats the downside. Everything else matches or beats the 717. It has Audyssey XT, which is the second best offered. The 717 only has 2eq which is basic. 2eq is basically the same as Pioneer MCACC and Yamaha YPAO. Audyssey XT is much more advanced, and does a ton of filtering and EQ on your subwoofer which is where EQ is needed the most.

Also, that Marantz is loving pretty. When I purchased my 818, I really REALLY wanted a marantz, because of how nice they look. It's elegant and fancy. I settled on the 818 because it had some features I wanted that Marantz didnt offer in the 2012 lineup.

So, between the 717 or the Marantz, I would have chosen the Marantz for the XT calibration, and the looks. Good job. Be sure to post some pictures once you have it set up.

Does it matter a huge amount that the sr6007 is an 8 ohm receiver and the speakers are 6 ohm? I think that it isn't horrible from my research but just want to make sure. I went with those pioneers that you recommended earlier in thread.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

demonachizer posted:

Does it matter a huge amount that the sr6007 is an 8 ohm receiver and the speakers are 6 ohm? I think that it isn't horrible from my research but just want to make sure. I went with those pioneers that you recommended earlier in thread.

I'd be surprised if they aren't 6 ohm rated. Speakers aren't 6 ohm or 8 ohm anyways, the impedance swings wildly, sometimes up to 30+ ohms. 8 ohms and 6 ohms ratings are just the average. IE Klipsch RF7's have dips that go down towards 3 ohms but are rated as an 8ohm speaker.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Interesting. Klipsch is suing Monoprice for their Energy clone system.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Monoprice/Klipsch_10_posts/Too_Good_Monoprice_Sued_By_Klipsch/11425

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
So I am thinking of getting the Klipsch sub that was mentioned here earlier and I noticed that the connector on the back is RCA but the connector from the back of my sub is coax. I can't seem to easily find a connector with both ends. Am I missing something?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Why does it matter what sort of connector you have on your old sub if you're replacing it?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hob_Gadling posted:

Why does it matter what sort of connector you have on your old sub if you're replacing it?

I think he meant receiver. Is the coax not just an rca out ?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Hello thread! Thanks for the tons of info OP.

I have been looking for a receiver and speaker set to purchase for my upcoming birthday. I think I am going to go with this Denon 1612 and was wondering if this is a good/decent receiver or if there is a better one at about the same price. I was thinking of getting the Monoprice Hi-Fi speaker set linked in the OP, however MonoPrice has them on back-order until April 17*, so I was wondering if there was a similar set somewhere.

*I have found the set on another site, but with shipping it's going to cost about 50$ more, if it's worth it I'll probably do it, just wanted a little input first. This a decent chunk of money for me to spend so I want to be sure.

Thanks for any help.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

jonathan posted:

I think he meant receiver. Is the coax not just an rca out ?

Yeah it is like an RCA out but the back of the sub has left and right channels and I did mean the back of the receiver sorry.

That is the back of the receiver and I assume I need to connect PREOUT SW1 to the sub.

This is the back of the sub:

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 1, 2013

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Plug it into either one; it doesn't matter.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Replacing an old HTIB receiver in a couple weeks. I am eyeing the Onkyo TX-NR515 since I can get it for 272. Is there anything I should know ahead of picking it up that would drive me toward another brand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Turnquiet posted:

Replacing an old HTIB receiver in a couple weeks. I am eyeing the Onkyo TX-NR515 since I can get it for 272. Is there anything I should know ahead of picking it up that would drive me toward another brand?
Where is this at? I am looking at the 414, but that's not much more than it seems to cost.