Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Completed it too: 11 hours and 74% :saddowns:

Besides what's been mentioned, the only thing to annoy me were those three or four scars being exactly the same (mirrored) on both shoulders.

I also would like to play through it again on hard with all the weapons but since I can't I won't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!
Just finished it. 100%, 15 hours. Fantastic game, my favourite in 2013 so far. Great mix between Arkham Asylum, Uncharted and Resident Evil. I already can't wait for the inevitable sequel taking place on Roanoke Island. I hope that the sales are good, cause I want this series to continue.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is there more than one finisher animation?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Yeah, so I will be missing the achievement for talking to the endurance crew. and I probably won't get the "kill two with failed dynamite throw" achievement either (keep loving it up).

I giggled when Lara taped the grenade launcher to the rifle,reminding me of Ripley in Aliens and I smiled at the dual gun reference when Roth died.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!

Aphrodite posted:

Is there more than one finisher animation?

Yes, you unlock them by buying new skills. They're pretty awesome.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

ZeeBoi posted:

Yeah, so I will be missing the achievement for talking to the endurance crew. and I probably won't get the "kill two with failed dynamite throw" achievement either (keep loving it up).

I got the latter completely by accident. I was spraying and praying at a dynamite tosser and suddenly the achievement popped up :v:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The enemies are surprisingly good at keeping you on your toes. You can't dig in or they'll either rush you with machete guys or toss a grenade in there, or they'll flank you.

Nyagato
Apr 6, 2009
So what's up with steam and the achivements? I have the achivement for 75% documents found, (I found them all) but the achivement for 25% is not unlocked.
This is so funny.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Der Shovel posted:

I got the latter completely by accident. I was spraying and praying at a dynamite tosser and suddenly the achievement popped up :v:

Just happened to me now. :D Was shooting up some stairs, happened to hit a dynamite tosser who dropped a lit stick and boom!

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Haha, holy poo poo it happened again, this time thanks to an incendiary shotgun blast.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Nyagato posted:

So what's up with steam and the achivements? I have the achivement for 75% documents found, (I found them all) but the achivement for 25% is not unlocked.
This is so funny.

Steam Achievements didn't work like the first two days the game was out, so if you were playing it then you are boned I think.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

ZeeBoi posted:

Haha, holy poo poo it happened again, this time thanks to an incendiary shotgun blast.

I managed to get the one for shooting dynamite purely by chance. Pulled myself up a ledge, shotgun up at a dude, fired just as his buddy threw a stick down at us.

Didn't even know there was an achievement for that :toot:

Also the weapon executions are brutal. Oh don't mind me, just gonna kick you in the face and pump a dozen rounds out of my AK into your chest. :stare:

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
So after getting stabbed/smashed by obstacles and game client crashing occasionally :argh: (GTX660. TressFX might be the cause, but who knows.), I finally completed the game.

Survival instinct made the game slightly better as it only acted as hint. It was also useful in finding all the goodies. :allears:

Combat was quite easy as crouching behind cover and turning on survival instinct slowed the game speed down, which meant I could just shoot the head with bows or pistols even at range as enemy slowly peeked out or ran out from cover. (Assault Rifle seems bit inaccurate at range.) Sure you still need to dodge dynamites or molotov cocktails, but since time was slowed you could shoot the enemy before they threw anything, earning the achievement quite easily.

Overall the game was awesome, except it seems to crash from time to time.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Just started playing today and it's fun enough but does it ever get harder? I'm at the point where you're looking for the copilot of the crashed plane and nothing seems like much of a challenge. All the environmental challenges are just 'use that thing you got recently to advance' and the enemies don't do much besides eat bullets and die. The only times I've died so far were when I was taking a drink during a cutscene and missed a QTE

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Good Citizen posted:

Just started playing today and it's fun enough but does it ever get harder? I'm at the point where you're looking for the copilot of the crashed plane and nothing seems like much of a challenge. All the environmental challenges are just 'use that thing you got recently to advance' and the enemies don't do much besides eat bullets and die. The only times I've died so far were when I was taking a drink during a cutscene and missed a QTE

There is one part in the Shantytown that's a bit hard because they swarm you, but otherwise, No it won't get harder, quite the opposite, you get new tools faster than the enemies get harder. In the end I just kept stunning the enemies with the pistol for the instant kill as that allowed me to keep running instead of just turtling.

Hel fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 10, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Good Citizen posted:

No, the game's pretty easy throughout.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Oh well. It's a good bit of cinematic fun either way

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Yeah. It's worth playing on hard to start with.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Capn Beeb posted:

Also the weapon executions are brutal. Oh don't mind me, just gonna kick you in the face and pump a dozen rounds out of my AK into your chest. :stare:

How do you do those? I always just get the rock one.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

What's wrong with your faaaaaaace

(this game is awesome)

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Finished the game at like 3am. Got to the 'Point of no Return' and I had 100%ed every area except the beach so I went back and found all those loving Mines then went back and smashed through the ending. Such a gloriously great game, really happy with it. I would get all the trophies if it wasn't for the loving TERRIBLE multiplayer.

Seriously, has anyone tried it yet? It's so loving bad. You have to get to max level 3 times for one of the trophies, too. Garbage, gently caress off.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

tarbrush posted:

Yeah. It's worth playing on hard to start with.
You could also try not upgrading or learning skills.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Roman posted:

You could also try not upgrading or learning skills.

I just switched to using nothing but the bow and arrow. That helped a bit

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Aphrodite posted:

How do you do those? I always just get the rock one.

You have to buy the skill for it.

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

Token Cracker posted:

Lara's character model is the pretty 20-something girl she needs to be but she is a pretty 20-something girl who has been through some poo poo and has the scars to show for it.

Makes me wonder if the sequel will feature many of those scars or magically scrub them out.

Alternatively she could wear proper gear on her next expedition.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Mug posted:

Seriously, has anyone tried it yet? It's so loving bad. You have to get to max level 3 times for one of the trophies, too. Garbage, gently caress off.

Executive-mandated multiplayer is a modern game-publishing convention that really needs to loving die, I agree.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
This game better not require me to kill rabbits like Assassin's Creed 3 did. :ohdear: I will arrow hundreds of men in the face without blinking, but I have a pet bunny and I draw the line at killing any of his cute little video game brethren. :colbert:

How does navigating the island work? I figured it's nowhere near as linear as the Uncharted series, but I'm really not expecting a massive Just Cause 2-esque sandbox world either. Is it all one huge area, or is the island just a hub of sorts for exploring smaller, more linear sections?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Read After Burning posted:

This game better not require me to kill rabbits like Assassin's Creed 3 did. :ohdear: I will arrow hundreds of men in the face without blinking, but I have a pet bunny and I draw the line at killing any of his cute little video game brethren. :colbert:

How does navigating the island work? I figured it's nowhere near as linear as the Uncharted series, but I'm really not expecting a massive Just Cause 2-esque sandbox world either. Is it all one huge area, or is the island just a hub of sorts for exploring smaller, more linear sections?

It's pretty linear, you can backtrack to certain areas to find hidden collectables/tombs you missed but for the most part you will be falling through the path they want you to as it explodes and burns around you.

Also you can kill rabbits but you don't have to at all it's just a little xp you only have to kill one deer and that feeds Lara for the rest of the game.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Think a series of connected hubs, where there's a bunch of collectables scattered around that you can look for, before moving to the next setpiece.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

socialsecurity posted:

Also you can kill rabbits but you don't have to at all it's just a little xp you only have to kill one deer and that feeds Lara for the rest of the game.

Yeah, I seem to remember talk of a hunting mechanic when they first started showing off gameplay, which made me think there was going to be a "scavenge for food" side to the game..but reading through the thread it seems like hunting is barely used? Kind of disappointing..I'm not talking anything like having to constantly manage food/hydration/sleep meters (I could always play Lost in Blue if I'm in the mood for that sort of thing), but it seems kind of lame to have a game where you're stranded on a deserted island and have that feeling of "Aw man, how am I going to survive another night?" only come up once.

Still, general goon consensus seems to be favorable and I'm excited for any game that has a cool female protagonist. :)

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Speedball posted:

Executive-mandated multiplayer is a modern game-publishing convention that really needs to loving die, I agree.

I dunno, it managed to work for games that I didn't ever think needed a multiplayer mode like Chaos Theory and Uncharted

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Yeah, I seem to remember talk of a hunting mechanic when they first started showing off gameplay, which made me think there was going to be a "scavenge for food" side to the game..but reading through the thread it seems like hunting is barely used? Kind of disappointing..I'm not talking anything like having to constantly manage food/hydration/sleep meters (I could always play Lost in Blue if I'm in the mood for that sort of thing), but it seems kind of lame to have a game where you're stranded on a deserted island and have that feeling of "Aw man, how am I going to survive another night?" only come up once.

Still, general goon consensus seems to be favorable and I'm excited for any game that has a cool female protagonist. :)

It feels like they had an MGS3 style food mechanic in mind at one point, and took the meter out but left the animals in.

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho
Game is still pretty much unplayable for nvidia 600 series owners. For me it's the disco glitch every 1-2 minutes, which is among the worst bugs nvidia cards have in TR.

It looks like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wne75Vjcdl8.

Years ago I would've wondered how do you not catch a glitch like this (occurring with the most popular gfx series of the moment, no less), but I guess at some point I just stopped caring, because poo poo like that happens in most AAA releases. I just hope they fix it soon. I also hope they lose as much money as possible on piracy, because they sure as hell loving deserve it.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
The MP is odd.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Capn Beeb posted:

They're so ridiculously violent. My favorite finisher is the shotgun one where the dude you have to sync button on is on his knees and Lara leans over, holds the shotgun almost vertically with the barrel right under the enemy's chin, and blows his head off. The first time I did that I literally said "Holy gently caress" and proceeded to do that (and the AK finisher where you unload like 20 rounds into a guy as he's on the ground after you kick him over) as much as I could.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Finished it. 100%. Almost thought I'd messed up and wouldn't find enough salvage but in the end I got it all.

Fantastic game. For DLC, they should release long, sprawling tombs you need to get to the end of. But I fear all their DLC will be multiplayer only.

But I enjoyed myself immensely. Best game of this year for me so far. :)

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

teagone posted:

They're so ridiculously violent. My favorite finisher is the shotgun one where the dude you have to sync button on is on his knees and Lara leans over, holds the shotgun almost vertically with the barrel right under the enemy's chin, and blows his head off. The first time I did that I literally said "Holy gently caress" and proceeded to do that (and the AK finisher where you unload like 20 rounds into a guy as he's on the ground after you kick him over) as much as I could.

:stare: I need to know how these happen? Are the extra weapon finishers the same as the bow (meaning stealth behind them and press Y) or are they each executed differently.

Rolled back my nVidia drivers to 310 and it seems to help a little. Most of the time, I'm perfectly ok with 24fps because it makes things so much more cinematic, but still annoyed at the massive drops anytime a cutscene gets too close to Lara's hair. Overall, though, this game owns more than any game has a right to own.

Best sequence in a game in loving ages http://i.imgur.com/VwmpDcE.jpg

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 11, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Axel Serenity posted:

:stare: I need to know how these happen? Are the extra weapon finishers the same as the bow (meaning stealth behind them and press Y) or are they each executed differently.

They're all identical, it just depends on what weapon you have equipped.

It's honestly a hair lame. It's the final tier of upgrades but most of them amount to "different animation plays when you kill an enemy."

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

They get you way more EXP, though, and they're good for variety's sake. What finisher she does depends on what weapon she's got out (she'll use her pick or a rock if she hasn't the skill).

Plus there's a certain catharsis in just completely unloading on these bastards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Axel Serenity posted:

Best sequence in a game in loving ages http://i.imgur.com/VwmpDcE.jpg

I'm torn between escaping the burning Solarii fortress, the gondola towers, and the final climb up the Chasm Ziggurat as the best setpieces. Call of Duty ain't got poo poo on Crystal Dynamics.

• Locked thread