Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

PostNouveau posted:

You can tell from the panel introduction if the show will be any good. Paula Poundstone and Alonzo Bodden are funny, but Mo Rocca sucks.

I don't know if she's not as quick as the other panelists, or if she just has a slow delivery style, but I hate it when the show grinds to a halt for 45 seconds while Paula Poundstone laboriously works out a joke. At least Mo Rocca is fun for how terrible he is at the lightning round.

WWDTM is consistent, it's amazing how wildly This American life can swing from the best part of NPR on Saturday to the worst. Sometimes they do really good pieces of long-form journalism, but most of the time they don't give a poo poo, get a couple of people who work at the office to talk for 20 minutes about how they do or do not like watching old sit-coms, find a David Sedaris short story that can be tangentially related to sit-coms, or TV, or watching something, or liking or not liking something, and call that good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/foxs-chris-wallace-grills-paul-ryan-on-his-desire-to-repeal-obamacare-thats-not-gonna-happen/

These people are such clowns. On the plus side, we haven't heard Paul Ryan talk for a while, so there's that.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Every single time I hear Paul Ryan talk, it doesn't come through in transcripts as much, I always think about that one rear end in a top hat in your classes that somehow passed even though he plagiarized the poo poo out of everything.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Mr Interweb posted:

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/foxs-chris-wallace-grills-paul-ryan-on-his-desire-to-repeal-obamacare-thats-not-gonna-happen/

These people are such clowns. On the plus side, we haven't heard Paul Ryan talk for a while, so there's that.

So, I'm not too well versed on the whole "block grant" concept; I guess the argument is, send us a check with no strings attached and we can make a program that fits the needs of our state? But the counterargument is, you do that and conservative states are going to take that money, defund medicaid, and use it to subsidize tax cuts?

cymbalrush
Jul 12, 2008

Phone posted:

Every single time I hear Paul Ryan talk, it doesn't come through in transcripts as much, I always think about that one rear end in a top hat in your classes that somehow passed even though he plagiarized the poo poo out of everything.

Holy poo poo.

Thank you! That's exactly it... I've never been able to put my finger on it before, but yes. Yes.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Goatman Sacks posted:

So, I'm not too well versed on the whole "block grant" concept; I guess the argument is, send us a check with no strings attached and we can make a program that fits the needs of our state? But the counterargument is, you do that and conservative states are going to take that money, defund medicaid, and use it to subsidize tax cuts?

Sounds about right.

I understand the right wing argument on why the states (at least conservative ones) would like that, but how does block granting save the federal government money?

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Mr Interweb posted:

Sounds about right.

I understand the right wing argument on why the states (at least conservative ones) would like that, but how does block granting save the federal government money?

Because you give them less and tell them to make due, and if it doesn't work, it's their fault.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

It doesn't account for rising health care costs. Fixed pay versus rising cost means less people being helped.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Goatman Sacks posted:

That's exactly how it works, yes.

Mr Interweb posted:

It doesn't. The whole "fitting the needs of a state" thing is a red herring. The only real difference from state to state is some have more poor people and fewer resources of their own to help and therefore need more money. It's all a ploy to redirect federal funds into a handful of people's pockets.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 11, 2013

Neremworld
Dec 3, 2007

by exmarx

Goatman Sacks posted:

Yes. In Texas, Rick Perry was fighting for them pretty hard a couple years ago because he wanted to defund Medicaid and use the money from it to plus the holes in the budget that he had been hiding from everyone for years. Like people eventually discovered that Texas had a bigger budget deficit then California. (I forget if this is in total dollars or in percent.)

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.
Today in RWM schadenfreude: Breitbart.com passes along satirical news story as real, likely because this all too important blurb would reflect poorly on 'liberal' economics. Double points for recently criticizing WaPo for the same problem.

quote:

Just last month, the Breitbart team laid into the Washington Post when the paper's website adopted a satirical story about Sarah Palin from Daily Currant. In a post about the snafu, Breitbart blogger John Nolte ripped the paper for not letting "facts get in the way of a good Narrative." According to Nolte, if Post blogger Suzi Parker "had a shred of self-awareness, integrity, and dignity, she would have changed the headline to 'Too Good To Check,' and under it posted an essay about how shallow, smug, bitterly angry partisanship can blind you to common sense."

But when his website ran with a too good to check story about Paul Krugman, they merely deleted the post without explanation.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Mark Steyn is hosting the Limbaugh show today. I especially dislike him. His bits are pretty much hyperbole and sarcasm.

In the spirit of this thread I decided to finally look him up. I had always been curious as to how a British guy ended up in his situation. Welp...turns out he's Canadian. All this time I thought that accent was from overseas. I hate him more now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Steyn

edit: turns out he was educated in the UK and that's where is accent comes from.
It's just so weird how a Canadian citizen who was educated in the UK gets to talk to the Dittoheads about how terrible the Democrats are.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 11, 2013

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Neremworld posted:

Yes. In Texas, Rick Perry was fighting for them pretty hard a couple years ago because he wanted to defund Medicaid and use the money from it to plus the holes in the budget that he had been hiding from everyone for years. Like people eventually discovered that Texas had a bigger budget deficit then California. (I forget if this is in total dollars or in percent.)

CA's GSP (gross state product) is $1.9t where as Texas is second in the nation with a $1.3t economy, so I'm betting (and hopefully remembering correctly as well) that it's % of debt and not total dollars.

Fun fact, once we purged the state assembly of republicans in this recent election by giving the democrats a super majority we are actually looking at a balanced budget and even a surplus this year!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

edit: turns out he was educated in the UK and that's where is accent comes from.
It's just so weird how a Canadian citizen who was educated in the UK gets to talk to the Dittoheads about how terrible the Democrats are.

Anyone who thinks Canadians can't be as right-wing as Republicans never lived through the Mike Harris Premiership.
He cut social programs and Ontario's safety net to the bone.

Lost your job?
Run out of Employment Insurance?
Single?
Better sell your car and have less than $600 in the bank if you want welfare Ontario Works™! :fuckoff:
He also seriously believed in the "beer buying welfare mom" argument.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 11, 2013

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

Neremworld posted:

There is no guarantee that it would be safer if left at the federal level though. Sure, many red states are just straight up grifters with federal funds and the money would turn into "paying for tax cuts" in an instant. But on the other hand it's not like the funds for Social Security weren't raided to pay for tax cuts, domestic spending, wars since the 1980's. Which is why Social Security now holds so much government debt. That's the entire reason it goes up on the chopping block all the time. If we just cut/get rid of that, we don't have to pay it back.

I'm not advocating giving Texas control of medicare of that block grants are a good idea, they aren't. But if you don't think entitlements are raided to pay for all sorts of poo poo at the federal level in the exact same way the states want to you're not paying attention.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

SilentD posted:

There is no guarantee that it would be safer if left at the federal level though. Sure, many red states are just straight up grifters with federal funds and the money would turn into "paying for tax cuts" in an instant. But on the other hand it's not like the funds for Social Security weren't raided to pay for tax cuts, domestic spending, wars since the 1980's. Which is why Social Security now holds so much government debt. That's the entire reason it goes up on the chopping block all the time. If we just cut/get rid of that, we don't have to pay it back.

I'm not advocating giving Texas control of medicare of that block grants are a good idea, they aren't. But if you don't think entitlements are raided to pay for all sorts of poo poo at the federal level in the exact same way the states want to you're not paying attention.

If we just raised the cap on Social Security taxes, it would be solvent forever.

Cain was going on about SS and "entitlements" today, claiming that Democrats and liberals are lying constantly about them not being broken, unsustainable and insolvent and claiming the only way to solve them is to gut them. It's ridiculous. SS and Medicare would be the most sustainable and helpful social programs we have if we just raised the payroll tax cap and allowed everyone to buy into Medicare. It's not complicated, and it surprises me I don't hear more Democrats and liberals point it out.

Medicare for all would have been a much better healthcare law than what we got from Obama and raising the FICA cap (which is now around $113,000) would easily solve our Social Security "problem", assuming there is one.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

BiggerBoat posted:

If we just raised the cap on Social Security taxes, it would be solvent forever.

Cain was going on about SS and "entitlements" today, claiming that Democrats and liberals are lying constantly about them not being broken, unsustainable and insolvent and claiming the only way to solve them is to gut them. It's ridiculous. SS and Medicare would be the most sustainable and helpful social programs we have if we just raised the payroll tax cap and allowed everyone to buy into Medicare. It's not complicated, and it surprises me I don't hear more Democrats and liberals point it out.

Medicare for all would have been a much better healthcare law than what we got from Obama and raising the FICA cap (which is now around $113,000) would easily solve our Social Security "problem", assuming there is one.

As much as the GOP is the "party of CEOs" the Democrats are the party of the "professional class". And the professional class is people that make enough money they'd scream if FICA went up. It's the affluent liberals in NYC, DC, Sanfran, the same people that caused Pelosi and Schumer to go on and on about how 250k is not that much money where their constituents live and how the Bush tax cuts should only go away for income over 1 million. The liberals who count (not the suckers that get trolled into voting for them over social issues) do not want their FICA taxes to go up and the Democrats are not going to push that.

You aren't wrong, lifting the FICA cap would fix it. But the people both parties actually serve would be impacted by that, so it's not going to happen.

And there is a "problem" for those in power. The money was raided from the drat thing and now it's chock full off debt we have to payback. Detonating it would be a great way to pay down the debt and is vastly more favored by those who matter than raising the amount of money you extract from them through FICA. Fixing SS is a double negative to America, screwing people out of it is win win. Your solution has about as much chance of happening and all of us getting raptured away.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

SilentD posted:

As much as the GOP is the "party of CEOs" the Democrats are the party of the "professional class". And the professional class is people that make enough money they'd scream if FICA went up. It's the affluent liberals in NYC, DC, Sanfran, the same people that caused Pelosi and Schumer to go on and on about how 250k is not that much money where their constituents live and how the Bush tax cuts should only go away for income over 1 million. The liberals who count (not the suckers that get trolled into voting for them over social issues) do not want their FICA taxes to go up and the Democrats are not going to push that.

You aren't wrong, lifting the FICA cap would fix it. But the people both parties actually serve would be impacted by that, so it's not going to happen.

And there is a "problem" for those in power. The money was raided from the drat thing and now it's chock full off debt we have to payback. Detonating it would be a great way to pay down the debt and is vastly more favored by those who matter than raising the amount of money you extract from them through FICA. Fixing SS is a double negative to America, screwing people out of it is win win. Your solution has about as much chance of happening and all of us getting raptured away.
You realize that "debt" and "money" are the same thing right?

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
^^^^^

I was just about to comment on that. We want the trust fund to be invested in government bonds, because they gain value over time. The alternative would be to place the trust fund in a giant shoebox where it will steadily depreciate in value.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

A Winner is Jew posted:

Fun fact, once we purged the state assembly of republicans in this recent election by giving the democrats a super majority we are actually looking at a balanced budget and even a surplus this year!

Living the dream. :allears:

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Trast posted:

Living the dream. :allears:

My conservative friend who lives in California swore that this was the end of California and he'll have to move soon, he said days after the November elections.

Hasn't moved yet. I should ask him how that state budget is going.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

RuanGacho posted:

My conservative friend who lives in California swore that this was the end of California and he'll have to move soon, he said days after the November elections.

Please do that as soon as possible.

orangesampson
Nov 22, 2012

by Ion Helmet

RuanGacho posted:

This reminds me of all the times people says they are going to move to Canada or Australia or just leave the country if Obama wins. Too date 0 people have moved.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

orangesampson posted:

This reminds me of all the times people says they are going to move to Canada or Australia or just leave the country if Obama wins. Too date 0 people have moved.

To be fair a lot of people made that threat with Bush too.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

orangesampson posted:

For the anti-Obama people who weren't complete ignoramuses, what was their refuge country of choice? I've heard a teabagger acquaintance of mine praise Hong Kong and Singapore for being full of "hard-working, business-friendly people". The 100% tax on automobiles in Singapore didn't seem to phase him for some reason.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

A Winner is Jew posted:

CA's GSP (gross state product) is $1.9t where as Texas is second in the nation with a $1.3t economy, so I'm betting (and hopefully remembering correctly as well) that it's % of debt and not total dollars.

Wait.

What?

I don't pay too much attention to Texas but all I've heard lately is how Perry and the Texas GOP provide an example of a Republican State and Budget. I also hear things about undersupported education, big tax breaks, etc.

Would you mind linking or filling me in?

orangesampson
Nov 22, 2012

by Ion Helmet

ProperGanderPusher posted:

For the anti-Obama people who weren't complete ignoramuses, what was their refuge country of choice? I've heard a teabagger acquaintance of mine praise Hong Kong and Singapore for being full of "hard-working, business-friendly people". The 100% tax on automobiles in Singapore didn't seem to phase him for some reason.

It's usually Canada or Australia. Mexico is " too poor".

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Wait.

What?

I don't pay too much attention to Texas but all I've heard lately is how Perry and the Texas GOP provide an example of a Republican State and Budget. I also hear things about undersupported education, big tax breaks, etc.

They got away with running a giant deficit for awhile because the Texas Legislature only meets once every two years. So according to their budget made right before the financial calamity, Texas had an awesome record compared to other states.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

orangesampson posted:

Also, full of too many non-white people, I imagine.

It's just ironic that Soviet Canuckistan seems to be so popular, unless they all want to start Galt Gulch out in backwoods Alberta or something.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Wait.

What?

Really? All I've heard about Perry lately here is that he's literally flying out to CA and begging businesses to come to Texas since it has such low taxes.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Wait.

What?

California got rid of the Republicans. Texas is still making GBS threads it up with a legislature considering Perry's idea of giving a Bush style tax refund instead of restoring any of the 5 billion dollars cut from education spending.

orangesampson
Nov 22, 2012

by Ion Helmet

A Winner is Jew posted:

Really? All I've heard about Perry lately here is that he's literally flying out to CA and begging businesses to come to Texas since it has such low taxes.

Texas is the new Gary, Indiana. No one wants to live there.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

ProperGanderPusher posted:

I know a lot of people who want to move to South America. Apparently you can live pretty well in some of the smaller countries if you have a US retirement. That said it strikes me as a bit lovely to take advantage of a country's poverty by moving down there and setting yourself up like a king.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Ho Chi Mint posted:

I know a lot of people who want to move to South America. Apparently you can live pretty well in some of the smaller countries if you have a US retirement. That said it strikes me as a bit lovely to take advantage of a country's poverty by moving down there and setting yourself up like a king.

And then you get a 17 year old girlfriend, kill your neighbor, and then run from the fuzz back to America.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Phone posted:

And then you get a 17 year old girlfriend, kill your neighbor, and then run from the fuzz back to America.

Are you alluding to someone in particular?

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Ho Chi Mint posted:

Are you alluding to someone in particular?

Not sure if you're joking but John McAfee. A friend of my gf met him in a strip club and was/is hanging around with him to write a story. Dude's a gross poo poo.

e: here's one of her articles - http://www.wweek.com/portland/blog-29632-software_millionaire_john_mcafee_says_he_is_now_ca.html

800peepee51doodoo fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 11, 2013

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

orangesampson posted:

I've heard good things about Costa Rica, but that was some time ago.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Not sure if you're joking but John McAfee. A friend of my gf met him in a strip club and was/is hanging around with him to write a story. Dude's a gross poo poo.

e: here's one of her articles - http://www.wweek.com/portland/blog-29632-software_millionaire_john_mcafee_says_he_is_now_ca.html

So I gotta ask, did she meet him while investigating this story: Blood Money
A Portland strip club hands out red-stained $2 bills, despite warnings from the feds to stop.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

RuanGacho posted:

What exactly is the California GOP message nowadays? The best talking point I've seen so far is "this is what we could have done under Arnold if it wasn't for partisan politics holding us back"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Heh, I guess she works/worked as a stripper and does a lot of stripper related stories? AFAIK some friends of hers saw McAfee in the club and called her up to come down and interview him. Then he invited her to travel with him to the Caribbean and hang out with him and his 20 year old girlfriend.