Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What's it like having an NHLer take out a restraining order against you?

Just kidding, interesting info. I honestly haven't paid much attention since he made the switch. I actually forgot about it! Good to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

sellouts posted:

What's it like having an NHLer take out a restraining order against you?

Just kidding, interesting info. I honestly haven't paid much attention since he made the switch. I actually forgot about it! Good to know.

Lol, I collect RH prostock sticks so it's not just OV's that I know pretty much everything about, I just use his the most at my games. I also have a few Kovalchuk's, Perron, Iginla, etc.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

JetsGuy posted:

So remember how I landed on my elbow in a game about a month and a half ago and it looked like someone had implanted a golf ball in there? The pain went away quickly, and I got mobility back rather quickly, so I didn't think about it. However, I still have a noticeable sac of fluid (I guess it's fluid) at the impact site. It's not as insane as it was, but it's still there and squishy. I don't think it's bursitis but what the gently caress do I know.

That happened to me back in high school. I never did anything about it, but after the swelling back down, I noticed the end of my elbow broke off. The chip probably fused somewhere in the area, but that elbow is flat instead of rounded now.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Thufir posted:

Why don't you think it's bursitis? Sounds like it to me (with my 0 medical education). If it's bursitis I think they can drain it, which sounds fun. I had an issue where I fall down a lot (because I am bad at hockey) and I had lovely elbow pads so my elbow was pretty much constantly hurting. I got some much nicer pads and it's pretty much been a non issue since.

I mean, I could get better elbows, my my elbows are Supreme One-60s. So it's not like they're total poo poo. The reason I don't think it's bursitis is because it doesn't bother me at all. From what I understand about bursitis is that I'd have pain associated with it. It's also not reddish.

PS - I have a week long conference in Nashville coming up in April. What's the best rink for S&P?

Hockles posted:

That happened to me back in high school. I never did anything about it, but after the swelling back down, I noticed the end of my elbow broke off. The chip probably fused somewhere in the area, but that elbow is flat instead of rounded now.

I suppose its possible I broke it and it's refused. It hurt like a bitch for the first day or two, but mobility returned quick enough that I never thought about a break. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

My elbows are either Nexus 600s or 1000s. I fall down a lot and my elbows still work fine.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

JetsGuy posted:

PS - I have a week long conference in Nashville coming up in April. What's the best rink for S&P?

Centennial, the in-town rink, has weekly s&p on tuesdays at 11:30 and open hockey Mondays and Thursdays at 11:30. I think the open hockey there gets pretty crowded.

A-Game, in Franklin has open hockey every weekday at 11:00 and then sort of random other times for S&P and additional open that they don't generally post until a week or two in advance. They will probably have a decent number of open sessions in April since that's sort of a dead time for organized leagues (I think). They're doing a "pond" tournament April 13th http://www.goagame.com/hockey/697456.html

From what I've heard, the weekday A-game open hockey sessions are often dead enough to be essentially stick and puck.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Thufir posted:

Centennial, the in-town rink, has weekly s&p on tuesdays at 11:30 and open hockey Mondays and Thursdays at 11:30. I think the open hockey there gets pretty crowded.

A-Game, in Franklin has open hockey every weekday at 11:00 and then sort of random other times for S&P and additional open that they don't generally post until a week or two in advance. They will probably have a decent number of open sessions in April since that's sort of a dead time for organized leagues (I think). They're doing a "pond" tournament April 13th http://www.goagame.com/hockey/697456.html

From what I've heard, the weekday A-game open hockey sessions are often dead enough to be essentially stick and puck.

Excellent, thanks. The rink @ Centennial is going to be perfect for me because the conference will be on West End. Franklin at mid-day would be great, but I can't manage it. It's a shame Centennial only has 1 a week, but I guess they have a lot of demand? Huntsville spoils me with their nearly-daily S&P, sometimes even twice a day!

EDIT:
That tourney is awesome, that's around the time I'll be in Nash, but I'm coming back from a different conf that Saturday.

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 8, 2013

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

zinc68 posted:

Lol, I collect RH prostock sticks so it's not just OV's that I know pretty much everything about, I just use his the most at my games. I also have a few Kovalchuk's, Perron, Iginla, etc.

Nice. My favorite stick of all time was an original Easton Synergy pro stock Theo Fleury from his post AA NYR days. That stick loving owned.

EDIT: If you need any Kings pro stock sticks let me know. They are often 80-120 dollars but there are usually plenty to choose from.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 9, 2013

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

loving bro hug posted:

Had the afternoon off of work so I went to my first pick up game this afternoon at XI. Was offsides a couple of times and I didn't do much besides skate up and down the ice and pass the puck to someone as soon as I got it, but at least I didn't fall on my rear end or get in the way too much. Felt a bit foolish but one guy asked me if it was my first time playing and he was helpful explaining how the game format worked (shift rotations etc) and had some other good pointers. It was fun enough that I'll do it again though, probably have to check out the other rink where there are more people closer to my :downs: skill level.

Also, Fingers I'm pretty sure that the crazy lady you referred to was there and you weren't kidding, she's nuts.

Thats good they helped you out. Tuesdays pickup was pretty high end but it mostly sucked for me, and I played like crap. Two guys on the other team were really good stick handlers and skaters, but they would just cherry pick at our blue line or red line while the puck was in their zone. I should learn to just fuckin ignore it but I always ended up back trying to stop them and I was having the worst time trying to stop their moves. Normally I might start to gently caress with them at that point, but one of them works in the pro shop and I would like decent sharpenings in the future. I think they moved the time up so the crazy lady missed it although she was watching us later. Then in the locker room one of the guys revealed that she gave him a $200 check before. It was labeled "for a good time" for him that meant getting wasted, but the rest of the room was sure she had other things in mind.

Tomorrow night at Pineville is the c1-2 novice pickup at 10:45. Its mostly lower skill level and had guys out for the first time too. It was a lot of fun last time I was there. But it fills up, I had to call in at 6 to get on the list.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

JetsGuy posted:

Excellent, thanks. The rink @ Centennial is going to be perfect for me because the conference will be on West End. Franklin at mid-day would be great, but I can't manage it. It's a shame Centennial only has 1 a week, but I guess they have a lot of demand? Huntsville spoils me with their nearly-daily S&P, sometimes even twice a day!

EDIT:
That tourney is awesome, that's around the time I'll be in Nash, but I'm coming back from a different conf that Saturday.

Yeah, Centennial is usually booked pretty solid. Sometimes they throw in some other times but it is rare.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

So I have an interesting pickup story from tonight!

There's this one kid that plays there who's really... off. He's usually just emo and mopey and poo poo (and sometimes talking about how "it'd probably be a good thing anyway" when told that he's going to kill himself with how recklessly he goes into the boards). Anyway, today someone hooked his stick or something as he was going towards the net. He ended up falling and sliding into the endboards. Multiple people asked if he was ok, but instead of answering them, he gets up, skates over to me (by the faceoff dot) and proceeds to slash me two handed across the face. I dropped my stick, threw my gloves off and chased after him, because he was kind of booking it by that point. When I caught up to him and grabbed his jersey I got pulled away and kinda tackled and held down by a few people from the other team so I don't really know what happened to him at that point.

When I got let go, his dad (I think) had come down from the stands, walked out onto the ice, and proceeded to tell me something about how "HE'S A MINOR", to which I replied "I don't give a gently caress if he's a minor, he just slashed me in the loving face". I grabbed one of my gloves and my stick and headed over to the bench because I thought I was gonna get kicked out, but the one goalie I know skated over to me and was like "gently caress that kid, just ignore it and keep playing", so I just went on the bench and someone skated over and gave me my other glove, and the rest of the game went on without an incident. One of the employees asked what happened after the game was over while we were getting the net off the ice and he just sorta laughed when we explained it.

It's a really good thing that I started wearing a visor a few weeks ago because I'm pretty sure I'd at least have a broken nose right now, if not worse.

So I guess I just felt like sharing this story.

e: I forgot to mention that I wasn't even close to him when he got hooked, I was like 10 feet behind him covering someone else, so I have no idea why he went after me at all.

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Mar 9, 2013

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Kinda lovely people from the other team held you back. I'd have let you kill the kid.

loving bro hug
Mar 7, 2006

I Love The Colorado Avalanche More Than I Love Landeskog's Balls In My Mouth
AND I LOVE LANDESKOG'S BALLS IN MY MOUTH A WHOLE LOT
PS Sakic > Yzerman

Fingers McGee posted:

Tomorrow night at Pineville is the c1-2 novice pickup at 10:45. Its mostly lower skill level and had guys out for the first time too. It was a lot of fun last time I was there. But it fills up, I had to call in at 6 to get on the list.

That's definitely good to know. I'll have to see about going over there to the novice pickup next weekend. Thanks!

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Topoisomerase posted:

Wait are you saying as a center you have an easier time winning faceoffs because of your size?

Nah - I'm a winger. I tie up my winger and make a run for the puck or forecheck depending on who wins the draw. I don't throw elbows like they do in the Big Show, but I certainly put my body between my player and the play. That said: on faceoffs I also go for the pickup-the-stick/turn-around maneuver and boot it back to my defense.

I'm always quick to apologize when someone gets rocked as we play hockey. I never do anything intentionally to knock somebody down. Players my size are going to take certain amounts of abuse better than other (smaller) players. There is one team in my league that uses their team's bigger players to inflict a more physical game and that upsets me. It upsets me though because I can only be in one place at a time and they have four guys about my height but 40 pounds heavier tossing people around.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

Look Around You posted:

So I have an interesting pickup story from tonight!

I dont think I have ever seen that kid, that sucks though.

I havent been able to get into one of his pickups for a couple months, I never seem to be around when the emails go out and they fill up within 5 minutes.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

dms666 posted:

I dont think I have ever seen that kid, that sucks though.

I havent been able to get into one of his pickups for a couple months, I never seem to be around when the emails go out and they fill up within 5 minutes.

It's the kid who always wears the Selanne jersey (white jets or black ducks depending on the night).

Also I never reply to the emails on time, so I just show up and pay the $10, nobody's ever said anything :ssh:

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

Look Around You posted:

It's the kid who always wears the Selanne jersey (white jets or black ducks depending on the night).

Also I never reply to the emails on time, so I just show up and pay the $10, nobody's ever said anything :ssh:

Hmm, yeah I dont know who that is.

I guess just hope it isnt one of the nights Kessel has the attendance sheet printed out and is checking off names. That only seems to happen after 40-50 people show up at pickup and people complain.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I don't think I've ever seen people break up a fight at drop-in. That stuff usually goes down like Three O'Clock High.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!
The only fight I've ever seen at pickup was between dudes on my team. John's sister showed up to play goalie, and Scott was making her look pretty foolish with ridiculous dekes. John didn't like it so he full on plowed Scott into the boards from behind. Many offenses were taken.

John doesn't play for us anymore. haha

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Post-game trip report with a short stick: I liked it. My reach wasn't as impeded as I thought it would be and I had better shooting accuracy and control. A+ will play again.

Apparently there was almost a fight in my league last week. This is just easy, no-checking women's rec league hockey. A new girl showed up last week and didn't know how we play. Don't get me wrong, we all go hard and play tough, we just don't act like its Game 7 of the Cup Finals. So this girl proceeds to spend all game whacking and poking at the opposing goalie. When the goalie finally got fed up with it and whacked the girl's stick, the girl whacked her back. This pissed off the goalie to the point that she chased the girl to center ice in full gear and was ready to throw down when the ref saw what was going on and jumped in. I'm sorry I missed it.

Zamboni Rodeo fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 11, 2013

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Haven't posted in a while but I'm still playing on the Vet's team...getting better but holy hell do I still suck. Actually had two shots on net tonight, so that's a thing.

Anyway thanks for the idea for the hanging setup...just finished mine tonight:

The National Disabled Festival in Philly is in two weeks. Should be...a thing.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Had an ice game tonight, against a team that has not won a game, with a goaltender that is not that good. I missed the net the entire night, on breakaways, alone in the slot; it was embarrassing. Then, with about 4min left, a guy takes a weak wrister from the point that I deflect past the goalie to make it 7-4.

Welp, I guess I was due to get one someway tonight.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well, pro ice isn't the nirvana of skating everyone acts like it is. I mean, it was a nice surface, but it wasn't like I was skating 10 mph faster. I guess I wasn't expecting magic, but it really felt like normal ice. Suckiest part is the arena doesn't run AC like the smaller rinks to so I was sweating even more than normal.

Not complaining really, it was still a heap of fun to see what it's like on a big arena, but I think I'm a lot more comfortable on local rinks. :v:

Also, the wife took a billion pictures of me and goddamn does my skating posture look like poo poo. I gotta suggest that everyone get some video taken of them sometime, it's crazy how what feels good looks like poo poo.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Flyinglemur posted:

Haven't posted in a while but I'm still playing on the Vet's team...getting better but holy hell do I still suck. Actually had two shots on net tonight, so that's a thing.

Anyway thanks for the idea for the hanging setup...just finished mine tonight:

That is so cool. I need to find some wall space to put something like that up.

Also, sled hockey is awesome, I would totally go watch that if a tournament came to town. A friend got to try it in an adaptive sports class and said it was a blast to play, too.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Pinky Artichoke posted:

That is so cool. I need to find some wall space to put something like that up.

Also, sled hockey is awesome, I would totally go watch that if a tournament came to town. A friend got to try it in an adaptive sports class and said it was a blast to play, too.

I play standup (regular) hockey but the festival has divisions for standup, sled, deaf and another unlabeled division so I'm not sure what else is left.

I bought the pegboards at Home Depot...there are 6 interlocking squares there. I stacked them up and the lady only charged me for one. Not that they were THAT expensive anyway but by the time I figured out what she did I didn't correct her because I'm a terrible person sometimes.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Flyinglemur posted:

I play standup (regular) hockey but the festival has divisions for standup, sled, deaf and another unlabeled division so I'm not sure what else is left.

I bought the pegboards at Home Depot...there are 6 interlocking squares there. I stacked them up and the lady only charged me for one. Not that they were THAT expensive anyway but by the time I figured out what she did I didn't correct her because I'm a terrible person sometimes.

Oh! I haven't been reading this thread enough to see you'll be playing in the festival (but I did see the shin guards on your pegboard). Hope it goes great!

Maybe the unlabeled division is vision-impaired?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

xzzy posted:

Well, pro ice isn't the nirvana of skating everyone acts like it is. I mean, it was a nice surface, but it wasn't like I was skating 10 mph faster. I guess I wasn't expecting magic, but it really felt like normal ice. Suckiest part is the arena doesn't run AC like the smaller rinks to so I was sweating even more than normal.

Not complaining really, it was still a heap of fun to see what it's like on a big arena, but I think I'm a lot more comfortable on local rinks. :v:

Arena Ice is usually pretty terrible. Giant bright lights shining on it all the time has its effects, and its always pretty warm.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Guarantee to be bad with that + no AC running.

That's a big reason why if you're going to skate around a professional game, do it before the game.

And don't skate in TX.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
It was a pretty common thought with our team that the ice at the Exel was REALLY soft but that was during the lockout so maybe they only had the ice machine set to 7 or something.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

D C posted:

Arena Ice is usually pretty terrible. Giant bright lights shining on it all the time has its effects, and its always pretty warm.

The pregame light show is particularly over the top for the Wolves.. they have literal flamethrowers running when the players skate out, choreographed to Motley Crue. Puddles grow on the ice by the time they're done.. the flames are intense enough you can feel it on your face from the 200 level.

Unfortunately they didn't set them up when we played. :smith:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I think I need some nose-shatteringly thick elbow pads if I ever want to try living a normal life again. Like 5 years ago I fell during a game and landed directly on the tip of my left elbow, and my lovely thin elbow pad provided basically no protection so I've had nerve issues and swelling since then. So now on top of general tenderness each day, any time I tumble on the ice and land on that elbow I get another 3-4 days of swelling and pain, plus I can't rest it on anything which is just great as an office jockey.

Caught a skate in the slot yesterday and fell on my elbow, plus bounced my hip off the ice so that's feeling puffed up as well. Goddamn ice-covered concrete bullshit :argh:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Pleads posted:

I think I need some nose-shatteringly thick elbow pads if I ever want to try living a normal life again. Like 5 years ago I fell during a game and landed directly on the tip of my left elbow, and my lovely thin elbow pad provided basically no protection so I've had nerve issues and swelling since then. So now on top of general tenderness each day, any time I tumble on the ice and land on that elbow I get another 3-4 days of swelling and pain, plus I can't rest it on anything which is just great as an office jockey.

Caught a skate in the slot yesterday and fell on my elbow, plus bounced my hip off the ice so that's feeling puffed up as well. Goddamn ice-covered concrete bullshit :argh:

I got some of these: http://redtag.totalhockey.com/product/Stealth_85S_Elbow_Pads/itm/8104-41/ which are pretty cheap but also kind of built like tanks. Mostly solved my hurt elbows problem.

I had a funny/embarrassing moment during warmups at my last game. I was skating and went to dig a puck off the boards and managed to wedge my stick blade in the zamboni door, speared myself in the gut, and collapsed in a heap. Managed to not break the stick at least.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Oh! I haven't been reading this thread enough to see you'll be playing in the festival (but I did see the shin guards on your pegboard). Hope it goes great!

Maybe the unlabeled division is vision-impaired?

I just went back and looked and the "unlabeled" division IS labeled, I just didn't see: "special hockey" so I'm taking that to mean Special Olympic type.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

Flyinglemur posted:

Iceline is a good facility, I know the guy that runs the leagues up there. Maybe I'll drop by to see some games.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So my LTP team got their 2nd playoff win in their first season last night. My Silver team has 2 playoff wins in 3 years. Sheesh.

My Silver team has a losers consolation game tonight and our goalie wants to skate out. Pretty sure I'm going to be playing in net. Should be good times giving up 14 goals.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Play standup and channel your inner Hextall, including slashes.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Our last goalie, when we played in Bronze (where no one could lift the puck), played standup. He plays Gold-level goalie in the Bay Area, so it was kind of funny watching a bunch of Bronze leaguers score off his skates. Until they did that from behind the blue line with 22 seconds left in the championship game to win it :smith:

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.
I guess I'd better get growing my hair if I'm gonna start playing. :911:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I am going to try going tongue out and see if my knee pads can go a little bit lower, but I think that my pads aren't the right size. I've fallen on a knee a few times and there's a point of the pad right before the knee cup that is making contact with the top of my shin about an inch before the knee joint: that area is taking all of the weight of me falling down. And it hurts. I also managed to strain an adductor muscle last night and it hurts to walk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Playoff this weekend for my league. I guess this is normal for weekend tournements, but we may end up having to play 3 games (at least 2) on Saturday. gently caress. I'm going to be loving dead.