Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cats on the beat
Jan 31, 2012

Jedit posted:

Some of those are well-drawn but not fitting. Most of them are poo poo, and some of them are just photo collages. However, for the Something Awful Academy's consideration for Most Risibly Poor Piece of Mondo Artwork, I present:

I was going to rush to the defense of this image, because I thought it might be a cool woodcut. But it appears to be inked to look like a woodcut. :eng99:

March movie of the month has a great poster:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
No mention of Shatner :colbert:

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Jedit posted:

Some of those are well-drawn but not fitting. Most of them are poo poo, and some of them are just photo collages. However, for the Something Awful Academy's consideration for Most Risibly Poor Piece of Mondo Artwork, I present:

I kinda like it. Reminds me of Kevin O'Neill.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Hopefully in Milius they discuss him being partially the inspiration for Walter Sobchak in The Big Lebowski.

They've got him in the exact same pose as Walter on the poster there, so I'm sure they will.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

DNS posted:

They've got him in the exact same pose as Walter on the poster there, so I'm sure they will.

Not necessarily. That was a Milius pose before it was a Sobchak pose. He's very fond of having his picture taken with a gun in his outstretched arm.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Not necessarily. That was a Milius pose before it was a Sobchak pose. He's very fond of having his picture taken with a gun in his outstretched arm.

Yes I know. I'm saying they picked that picture because it evokes Sobchak. There's a lot of other ones they could've gone with.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

New Star Trek Into Darkness poster

All I can think about with this is The Voyage Home.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

EDIT: Double Post.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Canned Panda posted:

Like Khan, they're full-on admitting that Star Trek is a naval adventure. Awesome.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Canned Panda posted:

"That Shot From That Trailer Everyone Loved - The Movie"?

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Canned Panda posted:

That is fan made

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

twoot posted:

That is fan made

Are you sure? I saw several major movie sites post it earlier.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

twoot posted:

That is fan made

Yes, that is apparently correct. From one of the movie news sites I saw it on earlier:

quote:

UPDATE: Turns out this is a fan-made poster making the rounds. We're keeping it up because it's pretty neat looking, but it's not an official Paramount release.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Let me show you the thread where legitimate news organizations get confused between what is reality and what is unreal.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Someone should snap up that designer, that's a really nice poster.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

feedmyleg posted:

Somehow you were unaware that major movie sites are one giant game of telephone because rumors and outright lies get them more clicks.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
The Godzilla talk a few pages back reminds me of how awesome Godzilla posters are. Really most kaiju posters look pretty sweet.

And the obligatory, just for giggles.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

BioEnchanted posted:

Could you elaborate? I saw that movie, but I tend not to notice those kind of undertones. I just liked "What happened to you, man?" "I told you, it hasn't happened yet" :3: Kay was great in that movie, as was Just Boris.

The moral of the story basically comes down to "don't bother arresting terroriststhe bad guys, just execute them", plus the whole Chinese restaurant scene was reeealy unfortunate.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Cool! I've never seen this one before.

quote:

And the obligatory, just for giggles.

Ahhhh my old avatar, kind of miss it.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 12, 2013

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

Canned Panda posted:

All I can think about is that overused Futurama joke about how many atmospheres a spaceship can handle.

Pretty cool poster though. And with regards to the naval thing, the last one opened with people getting into lifeboats! Space, it's an ocean.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

casa de mi padre posted:

Pretty cool poster though. And with regards to the naval thing, the last one opened with people getting into lifeboats! Space, it's an ocean.

Yup, and let's not forget the best shot in all of Voyager:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress me, one of the best theme songs in trek and just in general!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ccYZTONpic

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Vintersorg posted:

gently caress me, one of the best theme songs in trek and just in general!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ccYZTONpic

Pffft, "The Sleepytime Nocture"?

Nooow iiiiiit's tiiiiiiime to sleep, it's now time to sleeeee-eeeeep. It's sleepy time, it's sleepy time. Sleepy time - is now.

TNG has the best theme song :colbert:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wish your average episode had had shots like that.

Also, can never not notice the textures they forgot to put on the bottom of the ship for the opening credits and then never fixed.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 12, 2013

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

casa de mi padre posted:

I think the Alien franchise is the only series where space lifeboats weren't like literal lifeboats, they were hibernation pods because you're going to waiting a long, loooonnng time for rescue. And, in Ripley's case, if they haven't completely forgotten about you.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

MikeJF posted:

I wish your average episode had had shots like that.

Also, can never not notice the textures they forgot to put on the bottom of the ship and then never fixed.

Eh? Got a pic?

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Lizard Combatant posted:

Eh? Got a pic?

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Intrepid_class_model#CGI_models

quote:

"There are six shots in the opening title sequence, three of them had the CG ship that we built; the other three have the practical model. The three that had the CG ship were the one where it goes by the sun, the one where it goes through the smoky, particle stuff, and the last one, where it jumps to warp.(...)We always use beta software [rem: meant is a new version of Lightwave which at the time was available on two different computer systems}, which means there tend to be some bugs. As we were modeling Voyager, some of it was being done in the Amiga version; some was being done on the SGI version. If you transferred the model between the different systems, the textures–effectively the paint on the ship–would get lost. That happens in the final shot where the belly tips up toward us and Voyager goes to warp.
"It's something you don't really pick out unless you know it's there, but if you look at the bottom of the ship there are these three darker patches that aren't supposed to be there-it's where there are some ports and hull plating. That made it into the title sequence. Nobody said anything, and we never mentioned it!" (Star Trek: The Magazine Volume 3, Issue 3, p. 112)

There's a pic on the page as well.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

casa de mi padre posted:

Space as a ocean has been a thing for a while. Astro- and Cosmonaut literally mean Space- and Universe-Sailor

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lizard Combatant posted:

Eh? Got a pic?

The two black squares on the bottom of the ship aren't meant to be there; they forgot to apply the textures for some hatches.

It's pretty minor, to be honest. Nowhere near as bad as the terrible mesh errors in the LOST intertitle. Those just pissed me off. (I'd post an example of that but I can't find a version of the title above 240p. Just look at the S next time it's on TV as it goes past the camera)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Mar 12, 2013

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Lizard Combatant posted:

Pffft, "The Sleepytime Nocture"?

Nooow iiiiiit's tiiiiiiime to sleep, it's now time to sleeeee-eeeeep. It's sleepy time, it's sleepy time. Sleepy time - is now.

TNG has the best theme song :colbert:

Pretty sure you mean that Star Trek: The Motion Picture has the best theme song, chief.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Ah, yeah they're not so noticeable at least.

Sheldrake posted:

Pretty sure you mean that Star Trek: The Motion Picture has the best theme song, chief.

Very true, but that's not a TV show.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.

MikeJF posted:

Nowhere near as bad as the terrible mesh errors in the LOST intertitle.

No one else I know ever spots this and they bother me to the point I deliberately unfocused my eyes while watching it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Humboldt squid posted:

The moral of the story basically comes down to "don't bother arresting terroriststhe bad guys, just execute them", plus the whole Chinese restaurant scene was reeealy unfortunate.

I'd forgotten the restaurant scene, that was the exact kind of humour that I found objectionable in Ted as well. Didn't notice the 'moral' as I was all "Well, they tried imprisoning him and it didn't work :downs:"

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

MikeJF posted:

It's pretty minor, to be honest. Nowhere near as bad as the terrible mesh errors in the LOST intertitle. Those just pissed me off. (I'd post an example of that but I can't find a version of the title above 240p. Just look at the S next time it's on TV as it goes past the camera)

Yeah, what was up with that - how did that get greenlit?

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Eight Is Legend posted:

I quite liked that, actually. It looks like the logo kind of over-focuses. Like it goes from blurry to regular to TOO sharp. I gave up on Lost in like season 2 so I'm not sure how that ties into the show, but to me it indicates like a Lovecraftian "man was not meant to know" universe view. Like looking too closely at that logo, the flawed underlying reality of it is revealed. I always kind of thought that's what was going on with the weird goings on on that island - it's like a mesh error in the world.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Eight Is Legend posted:

One of the showrunners did that title sequence on a laptop in his hotel room as a guide but they just used it.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Shanty posted:

I quite liked that, actually. It looks like the logo kind of over-focuses. Like it goes from blurry to regular to TOO sharp.

But that isn't the problem, the problem is that part of it disappears.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Wendell posted:

But that isn't the problem, the problem is that part of it disappears.

You mean like it was... Lost???

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Cacator posted:

You mean like it was... Lost???

Ohhh myyyyy gawwwwwwwwwwwwwd

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Sheldrake posted:

I think my favorite is the later-season Deep Space Nine theme, where it turns the normally somber theme into a fanfare:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORp0T6zYByM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

penismightier posted:

Someone should snap up that designer, that's a really nice poster.

I think the few pages of lovely minimalist fan-posters really made this one take us off our guard.