Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Axel Serenity posted:

:stare: I need to know how these happen? Are the extra weapon finishers the same as the bow (meaning stealth behind them and press Y) or are they each executed differently.

The finisher is dependent on what weapon you have equipped. I was pulling the finishers off consistently by doing melee first to stun them, then when I'd see the finisher icon come up (the skull), I'd run up and revel in execution glory. Each weapon has 2 different finisher animations I think, though I only managed to do the shotgun chin blast. The rifle has one where you grab a dude and unload like a whole mag into his torso (as mentioned by another goons), and the one I mentioned where you shoot him on the ground after knocking him over. I think the animation is dependent on your position towards the enemy, e.g., in front of him or behind/side, but it might be random. Not sure.

ImpAtom posted:

It's honestly a hair lame. It's the final tier of upgrades but most of them amount to "different animation plays when you kill an enemy."

I don't know, combo-ing finishers makes Lara look like an ultimate badass. I remember at one point I had 3 enemies around me and I did the sync button dodge attack to blind/stun one guy and proceeded to bash him with the mountain pick leading up to the pick finisher, then head-shotted a dude point blank with the shotgun, and then stunned the last dude with my pick after a dodge roll and did the shotgun finisher. It all happened so fast that it looked like it was choreographed. I also did both rifle finishers one after the other on two enemies and that was so goddamn awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
The first time I did the Rifle finisher after unlocking it I just sat there in wide-eyed surprise for a few seconds. They're brutal, but kind of satisfying too.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

1stGear posted:

I'm torn between escaping the burning Solarii fortress, the gondola towers, and the final climb up the Chasm Ziggurat as the best setpieces. Call of Duty ain't got poo poo on Crystal Dynamics.

The tower climb at the end of the first act is probably the most uncomfortable I have felt about heights in a video game, which is pretty awesome.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I'm glad this game didn't have some drawn-out supernatural end boss battle.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

ZeeBoi posted:

Me too. I hated the one in Legend.

Oh, and about finisher moves, my favourite by far is the pistol one.
Single round to the face, execution style.

Especially since I barely used the rifle or the shotgun. I had so much more fun popping heads with the bow, and kept the pistol with burst fire for the assholes with shields.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
After turning around the game a bit more in my head, I think they had some really neat ideas with the combat. Making the dodge look like a mad scramble and hinging the special moves on that. Having enemies constantly flush you out with explosives. It gives combat a feel of being barely in control. Or rather, it should. In the end it's just too easy, the amount of enemies you kill too much, the finishers to violent for violence' sake, and that undermines the whole thing in my opinion.

Paino posted:

Game is still pretty much unplayable for nvidia 600 series owners. For me it's the disco glitch every 1-2 minutes, which is among the worst bugs nvidia cards have in TR.

It looks like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wne75Vjcdl8.

Years ago I would've wondered how do you not catch a glitch like this (occurring with the most popular gfx series of the moment, no less), but I guess at some point I just stopped caring, because poo poo like that happens in most AAA releases. I just hope they fix it soon. I also hope they lose as much money as possible on piracy, because they sure as hell loving deserve it.

Do you have TressFX and Tesselation off? I have a 670 and played without problems other than the one where some effects where missing in fullscreen (which has already been fixed). I also heard switching detail level from ultra to high fixes a lot of problems without really sacrificing much visually. Also, are you sure this is Tomb Raider's fault? Because that looks very much like and overheating card.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How do I switch firing modes for the shotgun? (Between 'full choke' and not). Pressing '3' again does nothing and middle-mouse just fires.

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010
It's the middle mouse button (also space bar, I think?). The choke is an alternate shot with less spread, not an alternate fire mode - much like the bow's rope arrow.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.
Finished this yesterday.

Fantastic game. I really like the characterization of Lara, it's really sympathetic. And it feels so awesome when she stops being afraid of the enemies and they start being afraid of HER.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Groetgaffel posted:

Me too. I hated the one in Legend.

Oh, and about finisher moves, my favourite by far is the pistol one.
Single round to the face, execution style.

Especially since I barely used the rifle or the shotgun. I had so much more fun popping heads with the bow, and kept the pistol with burst fire for the assholes with shields.

I really liked the rifle finisher because it was so gung-ho action movie styled. Dakka dakka!

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

GhostDog posted:

Do you have TressFX and Tesselation off? I have a 670 and played without problems other than the one where some effects where missing in fullscreen (which has already been fixed). I also heard switching detail level from ultra to high fixes a lot of problems without really sacrificing much visually. Also, are you sure this is Tomb Raider's fault? Because that looks very much like and overheating card.

TressFX is off because they pretty much admitted they haven't optimized it yet, and I don't want to lose 15 fps to see Lara's hair blowing in the wind. As for the rest, thanks for the advice but if I bought a 670 it's because I want my cool Tessellation on and details at Ultra. :(

My fps are between 50-60 all the time anyway (no vsync obviously), so it's not like my gpu can't handle it; fan speed is customized so temp doesn't go over 67-68 degrees. I read an article sometime ago where nvidia complained vigorously about not having received a retail version of the game in advance, blaming Square/CD for completely loving up the game for geforce 600 owners until they fix the issues with a new driver. I mean I know their marketing choice was to suck AMD's cock but this is ridiculous.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
It's strange to hear you having those problems, I've got a previous gen card (560Ti) and the game runs smooth all the time. Granted I don't have an FPS counter in the corner to verify, but I haven't noticed any slowdown. These are my graphical options, just for reference:

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

notZaar posted:

It's strange to hear you having those problems, I've got a previous gen card (560Ti) and the game runs smooth all the time. Granted I don't have an FPS counter in the corner to verify, but I haven't noticed any slowdown. These are my graphical options, just for reference:

Heh, from what I know it's the 600 series card that are most affected. I did fiddle with the graphic options a bit, but going from ultra to high doesn't eliminate the glitch, only turning tessellation off does.

And honestly the game looks fantastic with Tessellation on, so I'd rather wait for a fix than play it like this.

EDIT: http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/06/nvidia-crystal-dynamics-looking-into-tomb-raider-pc-performance/ -> there, everyone is complaining about this and steam/nvidia forums are on fire. Part of it is nvidia fanboys butthurt over CD's choice of favoring AMD, but 600 cards suffer from several glitches and an abysmal performance.

Paino fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Mar 11, 2013

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Even on my AMD card the game crashes constantly if I turn tessellation on. So it's not just NV users that have issues.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Ok I can deal with unaware scavangers and I can deal with wolves but I cannot handle them together! Why!? I trying to be stealthy and just use the bow but I'm having real trouble. Also can the game not let up for 5 minutes without me having to duck and cover my way through a combat segment? I'm kinda hoping I'm near the end now because I'm just going through the motions at this point.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

ZeeBoi posted:

Same here. I was expecting and dreading it, then when it didn't happen I was delighted. I am genuinely surprised at how well Crystal Dynamics handled this whole game. If they just dump some "two hours of tombs" style DLC on us, it'll be a genuine GOTY contender for me.

Ronnie posted:

Ok I can deal with unaware scavangers and I can deal with wolves but I cannot handle them together! Why!? I trying to be stealthy and just use the bow but I'm having real trouble. Also can the game not let up for 5 minutes without me having to duck and cover my way through a combat segment? I'm kinda hoping I'm near the end now because I'm just going through the motions at this point.

You're in the forest at night, right? If so, right when you enter that area, hang a right. There will be a hunting platform near the cliff wall. Climb it, jump across to the taller platform next to it and scale the rope to the topmost hunting platform which is in the middle of the area. Then snipe down all the roaming scavengers. That will only leave behind the assholes who come out of the wolf cave with the wolves and you can take them down with a single rifle grenade.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Mar 11, 2013

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.

Der Shovel posted:

You're in the forest at night, right? If so, right when you enter that area, hang a right. There will be a hunting platform near the cliff wall. Climb it, jump across to the taller platform next to it and scale the rope to the topmost hunting platform which is in the middle of the area. Then snipe down all the roaming scavengers. That will only leave behind the assholes who come out of the wolf cave with the wolves and you can take them down with a single rifle grenade.

This part was fun to play! I felt like a predator in the shadows. I also did it EXACTLY like how you describe.

What a great game :) Seconding request for Tomb DLC.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Paino posted:

Game is still pretty much unplayable for nvidia 600 series owners. For me it's the disco glitch every 1-2 minutes, which is among the worst bugs nvidia cards have in TR.

It looks like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wne75Vjcdl8.

Years ago I would've wondered how do you not catch a glitch like this (occurring with the most popular gfx series of the moment, no less), but I guess at some point I just stopped caring, because poo poo like that happens in most AAA releases. I just hope they fix it soon. I also hope they lose as much money as possible on piracy, because they sure as hell loving deserve it.

That looks more like a dying video card :( GTX680 here and I'm playing the game on max settings with 2x SSAA enable without a problem. Had 1 crash at the beginning of the game and nothing since then. Every once in a while I'll get what feels like texture loading stutter.

Clean out your video card and see if it's dust/heat related

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

Stanley Pain posted:

That looks more like a dying video card :( GTX680 here and I'm playing the game on max settings with 2x SSAA enable without a problem. Had 1 crash at the beginning of the game and nothing since then. Every once in a while I'll get what feels like texture loading stutter.

Clean out your video card and see if it's dust/heat related

Not heat related, and most people with 600 cards have those issues as the Joystiq article (and nvidia forums imploding with rage) suggests. Good to know it runs well on yours, have fun. :(

I have to say though, fiddling with exclusive full-screen (maybe I didn't fiddle enough after the latest update) seems to have fixed that particular glitch, so now I only have the frequent CTDs and abysmal performance to deal with! Yay!

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Paino posted:

Not heat related, and most people with 600 cards have those issues as the Joystiq article (and nvidia forums imploding with rage) suggests. Good to know it runs well on yours, have fun. :(

I have to say though, fiddling with exclusive full-screen (maybe I didn't fiddle enough after the latest update) seems to have fixed that particular glitch, so now I only have the frequent CTDs and abysmal performance to deal with! Yay!

Who's most people though? I know there are performance issues with the game, but everyone I know that's been playing this has some form of 600 series NV card and doesn't get that. Can't wait for proper drivers + patch to come out for this though should see > 35FPS @ my current settings then.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I made this for a friend who boasted that he killed every bunny and deer he saw:

I must say that after the cutscene where you kill the first deer I didn't feel like killing too many animals. To me the terrified breath and helpless kicking was more suggestive than the gory first human kill.

CORN NOG
Sep 25, 2003

eh, better than wadded beef i guess?

I've got a 660ti, and I get a CTD every 15 minutes or so. I've tried turning off tesselation, tressfx, and rolling back to 310.x drivers, no luck. And yesterday I hit a bug at one part where you have to pull a crate towards you with the rope then jump on it. Every single time, as soon as Lara touched the crate the screen went black and I just heard the background music on a loop until I alt-tabbed and killed the process. Switching to the pre-patch version of TR cleared that up though.

I really hope nvidia gets some new drivers out soon.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Yeah, I've got a GTX 660 and haven't had any serious issues—quite the opposite. I'm playing on Ultra (only disabled TressFX, which has issues with jump cuts in cutscenes making hair explode) and getting a pretty constant >30fps. Using 314.07 drivers. I've had the occasional crash to desktop (with an especially large bout of them in the night "predator" scene in the forest), but nothing game-breaking and the checkpoints are so generous that it barely tripped me up.

Frankly, I'm impressed by the engine's performance considering its fidelity. That depth of field is alarmingly perfect.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
So who saved Lara from drowning in the very beginning anyways? She gets grabbed by somebody when she's trapped under the hatch but then she's suddenly alone.

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

Stanley Pain posted:

Who's most people though? I know there are performance issues with the game, but everyone I know that's been playing this has some form of 600 series NV card and doesn't get that. Can't wait for proper drivers + patch to come out for this though should see > 35FPS @ my current settings then.

I don't know why some issues are not reproducible on all gpu's of the same type, but based on steam and nvidia forums (and people I know with 600 series cards) those glitches are pretty widespread, while performance seems to be terrible for all nvidia cards. This game has the "Powered by AMD" intro message after all, and the fact that nvidia didn't even have the retail version until a few days before launch goes to show not a single gently caress was given. I remember the gpu wars back in the 90s and 2000s but it's pretty sad that this stupid poo poo still goes on in 2013. I could understand it if they had tech that is exclusive to a single brand, like say, nvidia doesn't get TressFX at all while AMD does; I would be cool with that. But hampering your own game's performance on one gpu (on purpose, or for lack of testing) to give another the advantage is incredibly loving dumb.

You should get 60+fps at your settings with that gpu, provided the rest of your system is up to the task and your resolution isn't ridiculous. TR has some nice tech but it's no Crysis 3, it really shouldn't run like this.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Paino posted:

I don't know why some issues are not reproducible on all gpu's of the same type, but based on steam and nvidia forums (and people I know with 600 series cards) those glitches are pretty widespread, while performance seems to be terrible for all nvidia cards. This game has the "Powered by AMD" intro message after all, and the fact that nvidia didn't even have the retail version until a few days before launch goes to show not a single gently caress was given. I remember the gpu wars back in the 90s and 2000s but it's pretty sad that this stupid poo poo still goes on in 2013. I could understand it if they had tech that is exclusive to a single brand, like say, nvidia doesn't get TressFX at all while AMD does; I would be cool with that. But hampering your own game's performance on one gpu (on purpose, or for lack of testing) to give another the advantage is incredibly loving dumb.

You should get 60+fps at your settings with that gpu, provided the rest of your system is up to the task and your resolution isn't ridiculous. TR has some nice tech but it's no Crysis 3, it really shouldn't run like this.

On side side of the coin I'm kinda miffed about the performance issues. On the other side I can't help but chuckle about them. I remember a while ago when it was AMD/ATI users crying about poor performance in a The Way It's Meant to Be Played title. At the end of the day I'd love for this kind of GPU bias to gently caress right off. Code your game so it work across all GPUs equally or don't code it at all. All you end up doing is potentially pissing off 1/2 of your client base.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

PantsBandit posted:

So who saved Lara from drowning in the very beginning anyways? She gets grabbed by somebody when she's trapped under the hatch but then she's suddenly alone.
After rewatching the cutscene the only detail we get is a big hand with dark skin, wearing ring bracelets:

The only known character matching this is Jonah Maiava:

As far as we're concerned between Lara being taken out of the water and her running some time could have passed. In a state of shock she also might have not noticed him and just run for the light. Jonah might have survived because he actually stayed where he was instead of jumping. There are dozens of possible explainations, maybe it was even some random survivor who didn't make it later as we only really get to see his/her wrist.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Cellophane S posted:

Finished this yesterday.

Fantastic game. I really like the characterization of Lara, it's really sympathetic. And it feels so awesome when she stops being afraid of the enemies and they start being afraid of HER.

Yeah, the characterization is probably my absolute favorite thing about this game. And it actually shows not only physically, but through the voice acting as well. Those sound bytes towards the end during fights where Lara says stuff to the effect of "come and get me you sons of bitches" and "let's see what you're made of" was so awesome. Loved the way her confidence solidified as the game progressed.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

You know it's a Square game when all the characters look like they're a res dump from Final Fantasy.

Then again, I'm only like 20 mins in (just spent my first skill point) and this could change.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

teagone posted:

Yeah, the characterization is probably my absolute favorite thing about this game. And it actually shows not only physically, but through the voice acting as well. Those sound bytes towards the end during fights where Lara says stuff to the effect of "come and get me you sons of bitches" and "let's see what you're made of" was so awesome. Loved the way her confidence solidified as the game progressed.

Yeah, at the start of the game there's a moment where you slide down a rope into some enemies and as they're rushing towards Lara, she's yelling "please wait, you don't have to do this!" before the combat begins. She definitely grows nicely as a character during the game.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

The Entire Universe posted:

You know it's a Square game when all the characters look like they're a res dump from Final Fantasy.

Then again, I'm only like 20 mins in (just spent my first skill point) and this could change.

I think SE is only the publisher, this game is made by Crystal Dynamics.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Der Shovel posted:

Yeah, at the start of the game there's a moment where you slide down a rope into some enemies and as they're rushing towards Lara, she's yelling "please wait, you don't have to do this!" before the combat begins. She definitely grows nicely as a character during the game.

I really liked that one brief scene where the bad guys and Lara don't actually shoot at each other right away. It's a brief scene but a neat one.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
They were all "hey we don't have to shoot each other!" And I was all "hmm maybe, wait this isn't an RPG" *blamblamblam*

I ASSUME it's not an option to agree to disagree and go your separate ways there, but I did pause for a second.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Dogen posted:

They were all "hey we don't have to shoot each other!" And I was all "hmm maybe, wait this isn't an RPG" *blamblamblam*

I ASSUME it's not an option to agree to disagree and go your separate ways there, but I did pause for a second.

If you don't open fire one of them panics and triggers the gunfight.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Palpek posted:

I made this for a friend who boasted that he killed every bunny and deer he saw:

I must say that after the cutscene where you kill the first deer I didn't feel like killing too many animals. To me the terrified breath and helpless kicking was more suggestive than the gory first human kill.
I felt quite guilty when, after realising I only needed about 1000 salvage points to complete all the weapons and fast-travelling from the final checkpoint back to the very first camp, I got all the salvage and turned to return to the travel point only to find the woods littered with dozens of animal corpses. :( I don't think I'll tell my vegan girlfriend about that part of the game.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

notZaar posted:

I think SE is only the publisher, this game is made by Crystal Dynamics.

They're named Crystal Dynamics :v:

(They're a SE-owned company.)

Pedialyte
Jul 27, 2003

"With the breakdown of the Medieval system, the gods of Chaos, Lunacy, and Bad Taste gained ascendancy." Ignatius was writing in one of his Big Chief tablets.
Can someone tell/show me what exactly Tessellation does in this game specifically? I am out of the loop with fancy graphics options.

Edit: Thanks Dominic White!

Pedialyte fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 11, 2013

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

Aphrodite posted:

How do you do those? I always just get the rock one.

You have to hit the button with the weapon aimed, not just in your hands. Took me a while to figure it out :downs:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Pedialyte posted:

Can someone tell/show me what exactly Tessellation does in this game specifically? I am out of the loop with fancy graphics options.

Tessellation interpolates extra polygons between existing ones to make things look a little more naturally curved. Lara's shoulders are a nicely noticable point in the benchmark screen - you can see the polygon edges with it off, but they're a bit more rounded with it on.

It's also costly - not really worth turning on unless you have FPS to spare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Speaking of performance, taking DOF down one notch did wonders for me in scenes with a far view, like 40->60 FPS wonders. DOF often seems pretty costly, either inherently or badly implemented. And equally often it doesn't even look that good. In Metro 2033 the DX11 DOF completely wrecked the framerate for me and I couldn't even tell what it did.

• Locked thread