Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Uznare posted:

So, I just got DW7:Empires as my first game in the series, what would be the best way to play the game? Seeing as it only has a conquest mode and seemingly no plot.

Conquer poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Serious answer: Start off with a free officer in the Gathering of Heroes scenario. Save becoming a ruler for the second play through so you can figure out what you need to do, since both being an officer and being a ruler have a number of things to do.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Would DW7:E be a good jumping-on point for someone who hasn't played a mainline DW game ever? Or would pretty much everything going on be lost to me?

I am really super interested in that create an officer thing and I like musou games in general.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

^^^It's worth playing DW7 because the story mode is top notch.

My favorite Zhang Fei story is millennium after he lived:

After the '49 revolution, The CCP, responding to popular comparisons between Mao Zedong and Cao Cao, began a concentrated effort to improve the latter's image in Chinese society. So far so good, until one of China's military leaders, Peng Dehuai, wrote a letter to Mao comparing himself to Zhang Fei. Because this gave the implication of a confrontational relationship to Mao, Peng Dehuai was later purged as a military leader on account of this letter.

Historical Comparisons: Serious. Business. :colbert:

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 10, 2013

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Isra the Great posted:

As much time as I spend with the mindless hack and slash, I'll always have a soft spot for the pretty princess dress up options when given :allears:.

CAW is the best part of these games, I've honestly spent at least twice as much time playing dress up and browsing through other peoples barbies than I have actually conquering china. Made a character for every weapon set (except the club, the club is dumb :colbert:) so now I can start replacing generic officers and making gimmick characters :).

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Oh Snapple! posted:

Would DW7:E be a good jumping-on point for someone who hasn't played a mainline DW game ever? Or would pretty much everything going on be lost to me?

I am really super interested in that create an officer thing and I like musou games in general.

Empires doesn't really have a storied campaign mode. It's more free-form, make your own story type of game. The management adds a level of depth to it not in the core games but the battles themselves aren't as scripted or objective-based like the core ones are. Having played Empires a ton so far, I think it's well worth picking up.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Jimbot posted:

Empires doesn't really have a storied campaign mode. It's more free-form, make your own story type of game. The management adds a level of depth to it not in the core games but the battles themselves aren't as scripted or objective-based like the core ones are. Having played Empires a ton so far, I think it's well worth picking up.

Thanks. I decided to pick up 7 for now, but I'll move on to Empires later. I've been wanting to get into a mainline DW for a while, and I think I'll be able to appreciate Empires more after putting some time into 7 proper.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

So I'm playing Gathering of Heroes and we're getting close to conquering all of China, but one thing that stuck out to me is Xu Zhu's single province nation surviving, but not expanding, for literally the entire game. Right now the only thing standing between him and me is Guan Ping and his rapidly shrinking empire.

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS
So I finally found a copy of DW7, to go with the copy of XL I found. I inserted DW7, created game data. Then quit the game and inserted XL, went to remix mode, and it asks me to put the DW7 disc in which I did, but then it says I inserted the incorrect disc. Both discs are region 4 (I live in Australia) can any one think why it wouldn't read my disc? The DW7 disc works absolutely fine (I'm playing story mode now) but for some reason XL refuses to acknowledge it's the correct disc.

Both DW7 and XL are preowned, would that make any difference?

I'll probably just play DW7 since it's a lot of fun and I'm enjoying the story but I wanted to see what the remix stuff was about, and if it adds content to Story Mode i'm going to be disappointed I'm losing out. :(

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
What are the SLES/ULES codes on the disc and spine of the cover?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I've been working on some of the special goals in DW8 to unlock the if scenarios. Some of them are just bizarre and counter-intuitive, or are only trial and error. Oh well, it's still a great game. Wu got ignored HARD in the Jin story. It basically ended like:

Zhao: Shu surrendered! Now all we have to do is take care of Wu!
(fade back to the map of China)
narrator: and they did. The end.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I've been working on some of the special goals in DW8 to unlock the if scenarios. Some of them are just bizarre and counter-intuitive, or are only trial and error. Oh well, it's still a great game. Wu got ignored HARD in the Jin story. It basically ended like:

So exactly like DW7 then. I guess its hard to make a story out of Wu surrendering to a huge army, like that's what happened right?

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Samurai Sanders posted:

To be fair Wu pretty much did poo poo all in the Jin era.

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

What are the SLES/ULES codes on the disc and spine of the cover?

XL has BLES-01496 on the box and the disc, but on the DW7 box it has BLES-01149 and then along the disc it has BLUS-30690 and BPSS-123750

I'm guessing that's not good :ohdear:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Bloodbath posted:

XL has BLES-01496 on the box and the disc, but on the DW7 box it has BLES-01149 and then along the disc it has BLUS-30690 and BPSS-123750

I'm guessing that's not good :ohdear:

Yuuuup, your DW7 disc is a US one.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It's the fourth stage of Wu that I'm having so much trouble with, the battle of...poo poo I don't know, I have only just started memorizing the pinyin for people's names, I have nfc about place names. 南郡 anyway. It might as well be a teleport dungeon for how easy it is to tell what parts of it are go-to-able from others. I've been wandering around of ten minutes now trying to find a way into the fort where the final boss is.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's the fourth stage of Wu that I'm having so much trouble with, the battle of...poo poo I don't know, I have only just started memorizing the pinyin for people's names, I have nfc about place names. 南郡 anyway. It might as well be a teleport dungeon for how easy it is to tell what parts of it are go-to-able from others. I've been wandering around of ten minutes now trying to find a way into the fort where the final boss is.

What, Chi Bi? Or do you mean the side stage you go to so that you can un-curse Sun Ce? Don't remember having any trouble finding the boss on that stage. Here's a video of it though. The same guy has uploaded videos with instructions for hitting the IF flags in every other stage too. Very helpful.

Sundance Shot
Oct 24, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Wu got ignored HARD in the Jin story.

Don't they kind of have to ignore Wu though since Du Yu isn't a character yet? I don't really know much about Wu around that time but I think most of Wu and Jin's interactions was the Sun family collapsing in on itself and then Du Yu making them surrender in about five minutes.

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yuuuup, your DW7 disc is a US one.

Well that sucks. Oh well, DW7 rules and I'm sure I can live without XL. Thank you for the info :)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

No worries. Sorry you kinda got screwed on that.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Bloodbath posted:

Well that sucks. Oh well, DW7 rules and I'm sure I can live without XL. Thank you for the info :)

Well, you can at least still play all the stuff XL adds on it's own, you just can't integrate it into DW7 proper.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

tooooooo bad posted:

What, Chi Bi? Or do you mean the side stage you go to so that you can un-curse Sun Ce? Don't remember having any trouble finding the boss on that stage. Here's a video of it though. The same guy has uploaded videos with instructions for hitting the IF flags in every other stage too. Very helpful.
No, it's another one, one with an upper and lower level made of intertwining catwalks and a special mission objective to travel across it a specific way without being spotted by specific enemies...but it's a big mass of red on the map so how am I supposed to know?

I'll watch the corresponding video to figure it out I guess, but not tonight. Too much DW today.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

No, it's another one, one with an upper and lower level made of intertwining catwalks and a special mission objective to travel across it a specific way without being spotted by specific enemies...but it's a big mass of red on the map so how am I supposed to know?

I'll watch the corresponding video to figure it out I guess, but not tonight. Too much DW today.

Not sure what you're talking about and I've done every single thing in Wu's story :psyduck: Maybe this one?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I'm now sorta caught up on One Piece (I'm in the part just after Thriller Bark) I need to play the Pirate Warriors game AND the Warriors Orochi 3. Dammit KOEI, I'm not made of money

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Vincent posted:

I'm now sorta caught up on One Piece (I'm in the part just after Thriller Bark) I need to play the Pirate Warriors game AND the Warriors Orochi 3. Dammit KOEI, I'm not made of money

As someone who was in your shoes a few months ago, let me tell you to wait on Pirate Warriors. PW1 is shockingly barebones and omits tons of content (such as Thriller Bark!) while PW2 is shaping up to be a fully comprehensive package and then some. The good news is that PW2 isn't set for Western release until the summer.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

tooooooo bad posted:

Not sure what you're talking about and I've done every single thing in Wu's story :psyduck: Maybe this one?
Yeah that's the one. From the very beginning someone says "get up on top of the cliff and ambush them without them seeing you!" but I have no idea how to get up there or who I am supposed to not be seen by.

edit: Oh, if you're Zhao Yu the whole thing is completely different and much easier (because you're the one doing the distraction instead of the one trying to sneak around while Zhao Yu does the distraction). DW is not very fun as a stealth game.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 10, 2013

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Policenaut posted:

So exactly like DW7 then. I guess its hard to make a story out of Wu surrendering to a huge army, like that's what happened right?
The last chapter of the novel literally consists of this, complete with at one point the top Jin general of the time (Yang Hu?) writing to the Jin emperor Sima Yan "let's attack Wu now before this current emperor dies and they get a better one!" Cue him being not listened to for something like a decade apparently thanks to Jia Chong, by which time (about two years before the fall of Wu) he asked to retire on account of illness and old age -- then on his deathbed nominating Du Yu as the one to pull it off... by which time Jia Chong was still opposing a attack on Wu, considering it too difficult to conquer.

Capitalism Bro! posted:

Don't they kind of have to ignore Wu though since Du Yu isn't a character yet? I don't really know much about Wu around that time but I think most of Wu and Jin's interactions was the Sun family collapsing in on itself and then Du Yu making them surrender in about five minutes.
Pretty much this -- basically the death of Sun Quan's crown prince in 241 kicked off a decade-long succession crisis that culminated in Lu Xun's death, one of Sun Quan's sons committing suicide, one of them exiled, the youngest becoming heir, Zhuge Ke becoming a regent, Sun Quan's death, his successor being deposed by another regent, the new emperor (an fourth, older son of Sun Quan) having that regent killed before himself dying soon after the fall of Chengdu and thus the collapse of Shu, with his own preferred leaders picking a disastrous choice for successor in Sun Hao who within the first year became such a tyrant as to be a seemingly major part of Wu's collapse.
:ughh:

Part of the issue is that to some extent Chibi and Dongkou were Wu's military high points against Wei, while Hefei (in between) is as far north as Wu got; in the Jin campaign Wu never really fought that far north other than the Battle of New Hefei Castle that appears in DW7's Jin story after Sun Quan's death.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I'm enjoying the hell out of DW7's story mode. Finished Wei's story just now, and I can only hope the other routes feature anything as manly as Dian Wei.

Which actually brings me to this. What would be the best way to read the actual Romance of the Three Kingdoms novels? Amazon kinda lists a lot of different versions with different translations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm finally into the if part of the Wu story in 8. Squealing fanfiction ahead! Sun Ce and Sun Jian and Zhao Yu are alive again they're gonna conquer all of China its gonna be just like in my japanese animes.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
The Moss Roberts translation is the best version, as far as I am aware. It has a ton of footnotes explaining historical and cultural things.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Oh Snapple! posted:

I'm enjoying the hell out of DW7's story mode. Finished Wei's story just now, and I can only hope the other routes feature anything as manly as Dian Wei.

Which actually brings me to this. What would be the best way to read the actual Romance of the Three Kingdoms novels? Amazon kinda lists a lot of different versions with different translations.
If you can put up with sometimes hilariously outdated comments (sometimes by as much as a decade) there's ThreeKingdoms.com.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm finally into the if part of the Wu story in 8. Squealing fanfiction ahead! Sun Ce and Sun Jian and Zhao Yu are alive again they're gonna conquer all of China its gonna be just like in my japanese animes.

Instantly Wu is 100% cooler. :unsmith:

e: To be fair, having Lu Meng, Lu Su, Han Dang, and Huang Gai beating people to death with a goddamned boat they were pretty cool already. I like Wei a lot but when it comes to totes rad characters Wu is really running away with it.

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 11, 2013

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Is there any enemy lockon feature available? I started last night and did the tutorial, and it seems fun enough, just struggling with the camera a little.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Tithin Melias posted:

Is there any enemy lockon feature available? I started last night and did the tutorial, and it seems fun enough, just struggling with the camera a little.

Not really. If you hold block the camera won't move. Also if you leave the movement stick in neutral you'll kind of home in on officers.

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Had some time to get into DW7:E. I learned real quick why everyone hates Lockup. Not only do your dispshit generals enjoy firing it off to trap you, they also seem intent on sabotaging base defense. There was one point last night where I was on my way to recover a base that was about to fall, I was passing through one of those chokepoint fortresses, my goddamn 'strategic advisor' Zhang Liao sets off Lockup to trap me in the base, and the base I was trying to save resulted in allied generals trapped outside it, and the enemy generals within. From rescue to recapture, thanks Zhangy.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Sima Yi's Japanese VA has died. Gonna miss that amazing evil laughter. :smith:

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

The tragedy is not that he slipped and died. The tragedy is that he had the temerity to think he had the talent to walk on slippery surfaces. IMBECILE!

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

kissekatt posted:

The tragedy is not that he slipped and died. The tragedy is that he had the temerity to think he had the talent to walk on slippery surfaces. IMBECILE!

Wow, poo poo, 37 years old even. He must've gone rear end over teakettle and landed on some kind of mysterious accupressure point.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Goddamnit. The exchange of BAKA NE in the Sima Yi / Masamune Date mission in WO3 is legend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Man, 37 is way too young to go.

5er posted:

Had some time to get into DW7:E. I learned real quick why everyone hates Lockup. Not only do your dispshit generals enjoy firing it off to trap you, they also seem intent on sabotaging base defense. There was one point last night where I was on my way to recover a base that was about to fall, I was passing through one of those chokepoint fortresses, my goddamn 'strategic advisor' Zhang Liao sets off Lockup to trap me in the base, and the base I was trying to save resulted in allied generals trapped outside it, and the enemy generals within. From rescue to recapture, thanks Zhangy.

My NPC buddies use Lockup in more creative ways. Like locking enemy officers in a base with me. :getin: