Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

JewKiller 3000 posted:

maybe not but the only real distinction is laziness, which is not a fundamental concept imho

this might be true of haskell proper but if you include all the fun extensions ghc has then i think haskell gets radically different

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Carthag posted:

i dont either, i just was taught standard back in 03/04
all i remember of sml was causing the interpreter to segfault with some code I had made for an assignment. yep segfault.

this was circa 2006 or so

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Progressive JPEG posted:

all i remember of sml was causing the interpreter to segfault with some code I had made for an assignment. yep segfault.

this was circa 2006 or so

our first project was writing a 3d projection thing in sml, and i was the only guy wanted to code in my group. i had no idea what i was doing so i did a whole fake OO thing, like namespaces and complex structures everywhere. it was a mess, and it kept loving up. when viewed from certain directions, "random" points of the projection would just go madly in some direction

never managed to figure out why at the time, so we just put in a section in the report about how it wasnt supposed to do that

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
the first time I dealt with SML in some book exercises I wasn't caring much about the type system or whatever and just tried to do everything as if it was python and it was really bad

studying sml now with a more formal approach I guess now I "get it" but maybe not, I should try doing those exercises again

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
in other PL news, ruby's oop is neat I think I like it :blush:

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
places I've seen people speak positively about OCAML:

1. a lovely options market maker called Jane Street

2. /r/programming

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
ocaml owns

people hate it for various reasons, but not any good ones

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/shitmunching.php:12) in /var/www/fucklord.php on line 34

<;tinybugchild>;same, but for php.<;/tinybugchild>;

EDIT: the joke was about PHP's lovely escaping band-aids and lo and behold vB doesn't seem to escape my joke correctly lol owned

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ocaml does sort of own, being a good take on a pragmatic sml. it is not entirely successful though, and unsurprisingly F# is stealing a lot of their thunder by offering roughly the same thing on a much more complete platform

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

OBAMA BIN LinkedIn posted:

ocaml owns

people hate it for various reasons, but not any good ones
OCAML owns except for the time that they decided that smp was a fad

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Internaut! posted:

places I've seen people speak positively about OCAML:

1. a lovely options market maker called Jane Street

2. /r/programming

I almost got hired by a finance firm based only on the fact that I had some superficial knowledge of ocaml.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
a bunch of dudes at hacker school are actually gonna do an ocaml tutorial session thing that jane street is running

i guess if the only way you make money is powered by one weird obscure language you're going to do everything you can to get as many people interested in it as possible

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Carthag posted:

whats a good book on like idiomatic C or whatever. i feel like when i write C sometimes i just mash keywords in a row and delete poo poo until it compiles

this is a few pages back but im guessing nobody gave you the right answer, which is:

read K&R
then read kernighan and pike "the practice of programming"

the only two C books anyone ever needs, period

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

abraham linksys posted:

clojurescript day 3 or 4 or whatever:

reactive/event-driven functional programming is weird. it's something that requires mutable state, and for that matter a global mutable state, in most cases. hell, i'd generalize to "making a UI-driven functional program" is weird because a UI-driven program inherently needs events and global mutable state.

function there_was_an_event(event, state_of_world) -> new_world_order;

Sang-
Nov 2, 2007

JewKiller 3000 posted:

maybe not but the only real distinction is laziness, which is not a fundamental concept imho

wrong

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/simonpj/papers/history-of-haskell/history.pdf

laziness is really fundamental to how haskell functions

ninjeff
Jan 19, 2004

you're wasting your time, he's already outed himself as a bob harper mouthpiece

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
i learned to shoot a gun today, you guys better watch yourselves

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

tef posted:

i learned to shoot a gun today, you guys better watch yourselves

paging the TSA

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

MononcQc posted:

paging the TSA

why, are they using allman style?

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

tef posted:

this is the best post in like 20 pages

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

im gonna make a language

statements are indented with tabs. continuation lines are indented with spaces. semicolons still required

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

tef posted:

holy poo poo tef made a funny post!!!!!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

holy poo poo tef made a funny post!!!!!

yospos is not about being funny

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

rotor posted:

for some i suppose

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

JawnV6 posted:

for some i suppose

alt.computerjanitor.recovery

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

JawnV6 posted:

for some i suppose

this is the best you people can do with a softball straight line like that?? you sicken me.

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

well that says

"Laziness was undoubtedly the single theme that united the various groups that contributed to Haskell’s design. Technically, Haskell is a language with a non-strict semantics; lazy evaluation is sim- ply one implementation technique for a non-strict language. Nev- ertheless the term “laziness” is more pungent and evocative than “non-strict,” so we follow popular usage by describing Haskell as lazy."

another case of Haskell programmers being non-strict, or as they like to call it, lazy

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Win8 Hetro Experie posted:

"Laziness was undoubtedly the single theme that united the various groups that contributed to Haskell’s design. Technically, Haskell is a language with a non-strict semantics; lazy evaluation is sim- ply one implementation technique for a non-strict language. Nev- ertheless the term “laziness” is more pungent and evocative than “non-strict,” so we follow popular usage by describing Haskell as lazy."

i like that; makes me feel like it-is being read by a ro-bot voice

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

edit: uh, this made no sense, haven't had my coffee

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Mar 11, 2013

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

rotor posted:

I almost got hired by a finance firm based only on the fact that I had some superficial knowledge of ocaml.

was it jane street

if not, run

if so, run

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

rotor posted:

sorry I know that I just got excited cuz I got to see a once-in-a-lifetime event like Haley's comet

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
just in case any of you were wondering, cobol has no intrinsic absolute value function

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Phone posted:

just in case any of you were wondering, cobol has no intrinsic absolute value function

i wasn't wondering fyi hth

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Phone posted:

just in case any of you were wondering, cobol has no … value

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Nomnom Cookie posted:

i wasn't wondering fyi hth

i was wondering

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Phone posted:

how many people are out there that think cobol is the best language

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

yaoi prophet posted:

i don't know but they all smell bad

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
WELCOME.. TO THE COBOL GOLDMINE

http://www.ils-international.com/

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

yaoi prophet posted:

all of the people who make decisions at companies who currently hold your 401k or ira

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
I used ocaml once and I thought the syntax sucked and the names of building were confusing. Also that you had to declare that a thing was going through be recursive. What's up wrong the that.