Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
I grew up in a small town in the midwest and I have an old user-submitted recipe book from '78. I was thinking of either scanning it into a PDF or retyping them all out and posting it here. Would there be any interest in that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

PureEvil6_13 posted:

I grew up in a small town in the midwest and I have an old user-submitted recipe book from '78. I was thinking of either scanning it into a PDF or retyping them all out and posting it here. Would there be any interest in that?

Hell yes

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

How much Jell-O and cream of mushroom soup are we talking about here?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Sjurygg posted:

How much Jell-O and cream of mushroom soup are we talking about here?

Enough to feed the ladies knitting club with enough leftovers for the hungry menfolk coming from the church voters meeting.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Serious talk I love Midwestern cookbooks, if only for the baked goods section. So much good eatin there.

Mofette
Jan 9, 2004

Hey you! It's the sound, in your head goes round and round

I have 'accidentally' bought 2.5 kilograms of salami. I'm going to freeze a lot, but anyone got any recipes? WTF was I thinking?!

Edit: it's a solid sausage, the size of a forearm!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mofette posted:

I have 'accidentally' bought 2.5 kilograms of salami. I'm going to freeze a lot, but anyone got any recipes? WTF was I thinking?!

5 lbs of crackers.

Or, maybe get some other meats and go nuts with a few of these excellent things:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muffuletta

Recipe here:

http://www.nolacuisine.com/2005/07/17/muffuletta-sandwich-recipe/

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Mofette posted:

Just eat it, occasionally, like you're taking bites off a really big phallic meat apple.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

FishBulb posted:

Just eat it, occasionally, like you're taking bites off a really big phallic meat apple.

All I can think of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87FtMulwolY

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

Serious talk I love Midwestern cookbooks, if only for the baked goods section. So much good eatin there.

The first half of the book is appetizers, soups, salads and main courses. The second half is all desserts.

Plus there are about 9 different recipes for pickled cucumbers, the longest one takes about 2 weeks to prepare.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

PureEvil6_13 posted:

The first half of the book is appetizers, soups, salads and main courses. The second half is all desserts.

Plus there are about 9 different recipes for pickled cucumbers, the longest one takes about 2 weeks to prepare.

Why have you not started this thread yet.

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME
Got a special meal coming up for the girlfriend. I want to cook one of my favourite recipes - maple whiskey salmon (she loves salmon and whiskey, so gently caress yeah) - albeit in tweaked form given that I have no oven here (why does no-one own an oven in Japan, seriously?).

I'll be pan-frying the salmon with basic seasoning and then using what would usually be the glaze reduced a little more as a sauce (sparingly). In terms of accompaniments I was thinking of sauteeing some nice potatoes, mushrooms and spinach but I'm slightly worried it'll be a little oily. What say you, goons?

Also wine, preferably red (red says romance more than white in my mind). I'm thinking a nice light Pinot Noir, not too sweet. Again, reckon I'm on the right track?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

So I was able to get what is definitely real saffron, and it was about $5/gram. The guy wanted to sell me two ten-gram boxes, I have no idea what I would do with that much saffron. He started out at a much higher price, and I think I could have talked him down even further, but I kind of wanted to get away from the aromatic wood they were burning in the stall. He also really wanted to sell me perfume.

My first batch of saffron rice was delicious, though I think I cooked it a little too hard - the grains broke and it came out kind of mushy. I'll be a little more gentle next time.

I could eat buckets and buckets of saffron rice, but is there something else I should use this for?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

ShadyNasty posted:

Got a special meal coming up for the girlfriend. I want to cook one of my favourite recipes - maple whiskey salmon (she loves salmon and whiskey, so gently caress yeah) - albeit in tweaked form given that I have no oven here (why does no-one own an oven in Japan, seriously?).

I'll be pan-frying the salmon with basic seasoning and then using what would usually be the glaze reduced a little more as a sauce (sparingly). In terms of accompaniments I was thinking of sauteeing some nice potatoes, mushrooms and spinach but I'm slightly worried it'll be a little oily. What say you, goons?

Also wine, preferably red (red says romance more than white in my mind). I'm thinking a nice light Pinot Noir, not too sweet. Again, reckon I'm on the right track?

Maybe cube and roast the potatoes instead. Then saute the mushrooms and spinach to top the salmon with?

While salmon is a heartier, fattier fish, I dunno if I'd serve a red with it. I'd think a more acidic white would be nice, something like a really dry German Riseling?

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME

Casu Marzu posted:

Maybe cube and roast the potatoes instead.

I have no oven, which is the problem here. If I did, I'd probably be cooking the salmon in there with a glaze as well.

Certainly white wine seems more standard with salmon, but reading around, Pinot Noir seems to also be recommended because it's not too full-on as far as reds go. I've never tried the combination myself (I'm generally not a huge wine drinker anyway).

Nelson Mandela fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Mar 11, 2013

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ShadyNasty posted:

I have no oven, which is the problem here. If I did, I'd probably be cooking the salmon in there with a glaze as well.

Certainly white wine seems more standard with salmon, but reading around, Pinot Noir seems to also be recommended because it's not too full-on as far as reds go. I've never tried the combination myself (I'm generally not a huge wine drinker anyway).

Bake the potatoes in a microwave, mash them and whip in some butter / sauteed garlic and any herbs / seasonings. Shape this into small pancakes and just brown each side in your skillet maybe?

I've done this before and had corned beef over it along with either spinach or asparagus and a hollandaise sauce.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Here's an odd question for you guys. I'm going to camp for 2 weeks in the stupid dead heat of August with about 9 other people. I am in charge of most meals. I need stuff that can hold up in the weather without refrigeration or minimum refrigeration.

I won't be cooking every meal for everyone, there's no schedule or anything like that, but I need to be prepared for a bunch of probably very hungry adults at times.

Also, it's going to be outside, so bugs may be a concern, so it really should be able to survive in a cooler or sealed container. Space is no concern and my primary cooking surface will be portable gas grills and stoves, though I will have a fire and spit.

Ice is available but the less refrigerated things I have to deal with the better, because it involves carrying the bags or blocks nearly 2 miles.

I know from experience that potatoes and onions hold up pretty well, so those will probably be a mainstay.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

RazorBunny posted:

I could eat buckets and buckets of saffron rice, but is there something else I should use this for?

The guy at the souk could probably have told you!

A single thread of saffron per pot for tea and coffee is fairly common in areas where saffron is cheap.

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME

Breaky posted:

Bake the potatoes in a microwave, mash them and whip in some butter / sauteed garlic and any herbs / seasonings. Shape this into small pancakes and just brown each side in your skillet maybe?
This sounds great - think I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Saint Darwin posted:

Here's an odd question for you guys. I'm going to camp for 2 weeks in the stupid dead heat of August with about 9 other people. I am in charge of most meals. I need stuff that can hold up in the weather without refrigeration or minimum refrigeration.

I won't be cooking every meal for everyone, there's no schedule or anything like that, but I need to be prepared for a bunch of probably very hungry adults at times.

Also, it's going to be outside, so bugs may be a concern, so it really should be able to survive in a cooler or sealed container. Space is no concern and my primary cooking surface will be portable gas grills and stoves, though I will have a fire and spit.

Ice is available but the less refrigerated things I have to deal with the better, because it involves carrying the bags or blocks nearly 2 miles.

I know from experience that potatoes and onions hold up pretty well, so those will probably be a mainstay.

Potatoes, onions, beans. If you have some cast iron, you can just cook poo poo in the coals of the fire, too.

Cornbread would be a good option if you're up for baking something. As is regular flatbread, especially with a gas-powered grill or stove at your disposal. Eggs are probably fine, too, though I understand if you're too squeamish about bringing them along. Most vegetables would be fine. Bananas and oats for breakfast. Cured meats, if you eat meat.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Last year I was able to keep meat safe enough that nobody got sick (the true benchmark of any cook) it was just a pain. I think I will still have some but just much smaller than in normal meals, so instead of a ham steak and beans/rice, chopped pieces of ham in the beans/rice, etc.

I am also thinking of making a ton of jerky. I made some last year and it was good to have around, but I was so paranoid about running out I barely ate any. The only issue with that is I will have to start making it WEEKS in advance for so many people for so long, since it takes roughly a day to turn 5 lbs of meat into jerky with my current setup.

I'll probably also have cans of stew and such for the most lazy/drunk of nights.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Saint Darwin posted:

Last year I was able to keep meat safe enough that nobody got sick (the true benchmark of any cook) it was just a pain. I think I will still have some but just much smaller than in normal meals, so instead of a ham steak and beans/rice, chopped pieces of ham in the beans/rice, etc.

I am also thinking of making a ton of jerky. I made some last year and it was good to have around, but I was so paranoid about running out I barely ate any. The only issue with that is I will have to start making it WEEKS in advance for so many people for so long, since it takes roughly a day to turn 5 lbs of meat into jerky with my current setup.

I'll probably also have cans of stew and such for the most lazy/drunk of nights.

Honestly while I'm a big fan of DIY jerky (I started doing it when I was 10, only stopped when I stopped eating meat) I'd recommend just buying a boatload of it right before your trip. It'll be a lot easier on you and unless you don't value your time at all, doing this much yourself isn't worth it. Plus I bet even you'd get tired of the smell after so long.

Don't forget your can opener if you're bringing a bunch of canned goods. :V

Aleator
Jun 27, 2011

I am nothing but a blade, waiting for the perfect time to end an ancient warrior's pride.
I just discovered that my roommate has a meat grinder that he completely forgot about. What cuts of beef do you recommend we try? We tend to buy ground beef for casseroles, stews, chili, and pasta meat sauces.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Aleator posted:

I just discovered that my roommate has a meat grinder that he completely forgot about. What cuts of beef do you recommend we try? We tend to buy ground beef for casseroles, stews, chili, and pasta meat sauces.

2 lbs lean sirloin, 1 lb fatty bacon, grind together, form into patties, grill, thank me.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Saint Darwin posted:

Eggs, canned corned beef (both will work with the potatoes and onins nicely). Lots of oatmeal, honey. Dried salami / other charcuterie etc that you can throw in with beans or eggs. Rice is good too to make up and add to some canned items.

ShadyNasty posted:

This sounds great - think I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

Glad to help. Let me know how it goes! You could probably melt some cheese into those too now that I think about it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

As for a (vague) question of my own:

Lately I've been in the habit of cooking up lunches on Sunday for the entire week. I like to make things that are protein heavy, but also have a lot of straight vegetables and/or complex carbs in it. If I just make lots of carbs I get really sleepy and if I go with just straight protein it's usually an issue of cost. The idea here is to make stuff on sunday that will play nice with tupperware that I can plate out that night for the next 5 days.

I've started to exhaust my current recipe rotation which has been:

Crockpot cheap pork roast or tenderloin (or kielbasa) with cabbage and mirepoix vegetables.
Crockpot chicken with mirepoix and collard greens or kale
cheap cuts of beef or pork with baked sweet potatoes and collard greens

Occasionally I'll make a big pot of chicken and sausage jambalaya, redbeans and rice with a ham hock, or roast beef and potatoes but I'm trying to stay away from rice, pasta and potatoes as a major part of the diet. My gf eats mostly paleo and it has influenced me to lean more in that direction dietwise.

So, any nice bulk size recipes that you guys make on the cheap that come to mind?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Breaky posted:

Glad to help. Let me know how it goes! You could probably melt some cheese into those too now that I think about it.

They sound really nice, would it work with boiled potatoes as well maybe? I don't have a microwave and I'm too lazy to bake potatoes in the oven :shobon:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Gerblyn posted:

They sound really nice, would it work with boiled potatoes as well maybe? I don't have a microwave and I'm too lazy to bake potatoes in the oven :shobon:

Yes I think so. I don't recall where I saw them first, possibly just came across them in a restaurant. Essentially you just make a fairly thick bowl of mashed potatoes, putting in whatever sauteed vegetable / herb / butter / cheese you wish. Then you just flatten that out and cook them until they brown on each side. All you're getting is that nice browned flavor of the potatoes that you'd probably be shooting for with some sort of oven bake of them.

I've made it once or twice and used them as a bed of starches in lieu of pasta or polenta when I didn't have any laying around. Just about any kind of meat with a nice potent sauce will stack up good with it.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Breaky posted:

Yes I think so. I don't recall where I saw them first, possibly just came across them in a restaurant. Essentially you just make a fairly thick bowl of mashed potatoes, putting in whatever sauteed vegetable / herb / butter / cheese you wish. Then you just flatten that out and cook them until they brown on each side. All you're getting is that nice browned flavor of the potatoes that you'd probably be shooting for with some sort of oven bake of them.

I've made it once or twice and used them as a bed of starches in lieu of pasta or polenta when I didn't have any laying around. Just about any kind of meat with a nice potent sauce will stack up good with it.

Cool! Last time I made potato cakes they were a disaster, too much flour made them taste like weird, chewy, cheese and potato pancakes. Hopefully these will turn out better!

As for your question, have you considered making things like Jambalaya or maybe some type of Paella/Risotto using Spelt instead of rice?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Aleator posted:

2:1:1 sirloin:chuck:short rib

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Gerblyn posted:

Cool! Last time I made potato cakes they were a disaster, too much flour made them taste like weird, chewy, cheese and potato pancakes. Hopefully these will turn out better!

As for your question, have you considered making things like Jambalaya or maybe some type of Paella/Risotto using Spelt instead of rice?

Interesting. I've never even thought about using spelt in place of rice. Any tips for that? I'll try to read up on it in the meantime. Thanks!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

RazorBunny posted:

So I was able to get what is definitely real saffron, and it was about $5/gram. The guy wanted to sell me two ten-gram boxes, I have no idea what I would do with that much saffron. He started out at a much higher price, and I think I could have talked him down even further, but I kind of wanted to get away from the aromatic wood they were burning in the stall. He also really wanted to sell me perfume.

My first batch of saffron rice was delicious, though I think I cooked it a little too hard - the grains broke and it came out kind of mushy. I'll be a little more gentle next time.

When my grandmother was newly-wed she went grocery shopping, not having had much experience of running a kitchen. She asked the grocer for a pound of saffron. (She ended up being a really good cook, especially of puddings. RIP)

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Breaky posted:

Interesting. I've never even thought about using spelt in place of rice. Any tips for that? I'll try to read up on it in the meantime. Thanks!

Not really. I've only done it once when making a risotto, and the recipe was exactly the same apart from pre-soaking the spelt for a while before using it. I couldn't tell it from normal rice in the end, though the risotto was pretty rich and goopy.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Gerblyn posted:

Not really. I've only done it once when making a risotto, and the recipe was exactly the same apart from pre-soaking the spelt for a while before using it. I couldn't tell it from normal rice in the end, though the risotto was pretty rich and goopy.

More than half of my risotto's end up like that anyway so I should be good! Gonna look for some next trip to market.

The Juggernaut
Nov 29, 2005

Is kielbasa always disgustingly inedible? Or is it just the cheap brands?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

The Juggernaut posted:

Is kielbasa always disgustingly inedible? Or is it just the cheap brands?

Good kielbasa is pretty good stuff. You should upgrade. Ideally to something where the label is either entirely in Polish, or nonexistant because it's made by a Polish butcher. Russian kielbasy is also good if you can find it.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

zerox147o posted:

Why have you not started this thread yet.

Ok I will, it will take some time. I might retype it all out that way I don't have to go and take old ladies' names off. Is there someone I can contact to make sure I don't break any rules about posting it?

Norville Rogers
Oct 17, 2004
Like, zoinks!

PureEvil6_13 posted:

Ok I will, it will take some time. I might retype it all out that way I don't have to go and take old ladies' names off. Is there someone I can contact to make sure I don't break any rules about posting it?

Make sure to include http://vintagerecipecards.com/2011/06/15/ham-and-bananas-hollandaise/

The Juggernaut
Nov 29, 2005

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Good kielbasa is pretty good stuff. You should upgrade. Ideally to something where the label is either entirely in Polish, or nonexistant because it's made by a Polish butcher. Russian kielbasy is also good if you can find it.

I've always had this idea in my head that I liked kielbasa but I don't ever remember trying it. The last one I tried maybe have ruined me forever. It was called Kayem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

The Juggernaut posted:

I've always had this idea in my head that I liked kielbasa but I don't ever remember trying it. The last one I tried maybe have ruined me forever. It was called Kayem.

That looks like pretty much the same thing as Hillshire Farm or whatever.