Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Iron_Chef posted:

I've bought Core and the wave 1 expansions, and I find things are now in the Rebels favour. The ratio of ships on the board has gone from 1:2 (space terrorists to space police) playing quick start/core only to 3:4 ships for 100 points battles. Playing as the Imperials I find I'm buying more upgrades just to try and eat up points. Another 1 or 2 TIEs from a core set would be great, but maybe in wave 2 topping up with TIE Interceptors will work out better.

This is a non-issue because there is no reason you have to play at 100 points. I agree that with 1 core + each expansion the imperials run out of worthwhile points to spend and things swing towards the Rebels. So lower the points stupid!

I find that 80 points seems pretty balanced with that ship selection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.
I played in my first tournament today (and first time playing with this game). It was awesome! It took me just a few minutes to pick up the rules (with the occasional assist from the store owners and friendly fellow players) and it was a hell of a lot of fun.

Better yet, I managed to win the tournament! It was only a four person tourney, and I scraped through with a draw + modified win + a full win, but man was I feeling fat and sassy all day.

I used my store credit winnings to pick up an extra X-Wing. Plus I got to meet cool people and blow up their ships.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

For those that may be interested in getting into this awesome game, :siren: Miniature Market has the Starter on sale for $25.97! :siren: This is a pretty good deal for the starter, and the perfect way to start if you are more interested in the 2nd Wave of ships!

Looks like they have ~30 in stock right now, but I don't know if this is a price that will last long!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

TheTofuShop posted:

For those that may be interested in getting into this awesome game, :siren: Miniature Market has the Starter on sale for $25.97! :siren: This is a pretty good deal for the starter, and the perfect way to start if you are more interested in the 2nd Wave of ships!

Looks like they have ~30 in stock right now, but I don't know if this is a price that will last long!

That's not really a sale - that's what you should expect to pay from a decent online game store.

Bow-street Bastard
Mar 27, 2010

Thanks for the advice folks, I'll check back in a couple of weeks once I have some games under my belt and can contribute, but just going to say the model for the Falcon looks loving gorgeous

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Achmed Jones posted:

That's not really a sale - that's what you should expect to pay from a decent online game store.

It just seemed to be lowest price I found online. At any rate, my buddies and I are going to attempt to run the Death Star Scenario I linked earlier in the thread tonight, I'll let you all know how it goes. The last few times we played with some of the modified scenarios and deployments a goon posted earlier, and we had a blast. Thursday and wave 2 can't come fast enough.

Iron_Chef
Sep 19, 2003
Chef of Iron
Picked up my Falcon and Slave 1 yesterday arvo and they look fantastic! I'm a bit worried about how fragile they might turn out to be, but super keen to try them

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Everyone finally seems to be re-stocking the starter set (along with wave 2 I guess), just ordered my copy now :) Only bothered with the starter set for the time being, too tight to start coughing up for expansions without getting a feel for which side I want to play the most.. and definitely too tight to pad out both sides :)

Woo! Can't wait to get my grubby mitts on it and make lots of stupid star wars references.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Got me two YT1300s, time to 360 it up with blaster fire!

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I just impulse bought in my local store a YT-1300, Firespray, Interceptor and A-Wing in one go. :unsmigghh:

Alberta Cross
Sep 15, 2006
Fortis Et Liber
(sigh) All my wave 2 ships are still pre-ordered.

I could be waiting a while yet.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Feeple posted:

Got me two YT1300s, time to 360 it up with blaster fire!

:eng101: laser cannon fire. Blasters are anti- infantry, laser cannons are anti-starfighter, turbolasers are anti-capital-ship, and superlasers are anti-Alderaan.

God drat, I've wasted my life.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Got my first YT-1300 and Firespray-31 and I'm loving how much more balanced the game seems so far. Hoping to get a lot of games in to prep for regionals in June.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm really starting to regret ordering my Edge of the Empire book in the same order as my Falcon and Slave I. Hopefully that won't get delayed too much.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
I've been looking online for a resource where I can find people near me who play this loving game, but I'm having no luck. All my friends around here are unwilling to try it, and I really really want to find some people to play this game with. Is there anything like that?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Does your FLGS have a website? Try there. Or just walk in, and ask the dude behind the counter if anyone plays.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

ChewyLSB posted:

I've been looking online for a resource where I can find people near me who play this loving game, but I'm having no luck. All my friends around here are unwilling to try it, and I really really want to find some people to play this game with. Is there anything like that?

If you have an FFG account it has a goofy player finder that may or may not be useful (probably not) and I've met people through their forums looking for games in certain towns, so that's an option.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
I'd love to see this game on iPad.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Well, looks like I'm going to the thing at the FGG Event Center in May to do Regionals of this and the Stat Wars LCG. Anyone else signed up yet?

This is the list I'm running right now to some degree of success so far. I have a local tourney on the twenty-third which should be a decent test run. I'm more in it for the swag than any hope of doing well.

Chewbacca w/ Veteran Instincts, Luke Skywalker, Millennium Falcon title.
2x Gold Squadron Y-Wing with Ion Cannon and R5 Astromech.

The list gets really hosed by Wedge, and offensive capability leaves something to be desired. I'm tempted to switch to a more offensive fighter setup and to put Draw Their Fire on Chewie, but I think I need to get more games in against a greater variety of opponents.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

What's the over/under on a 3rd wave before regionals?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Poopy Palpy posted:

:eng101: laser cannon fire. Blasters are anti- infantry, laser cannons are anti-starfighter, turbolasers are anti-capital-ship, and superlasers are anti-Alderaan.

God drat, I've wasted my life.

I've always wondered what the heck the distinction was.

I had no idea it was a machine gun-cannon thing.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004

Carteret posted:

What's the over/under on a 3rd wave before regionals?

I bet we'll see spoilers at GenCon, then a release a month or so after that.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Devlan Mud posted:

Well, looks like I'm going to the thing at the FGG Event Center in May to do Regionals of this and the Stat Wars LCG. Anyone else signed up yet?

I came to post about this, our LGS is hosting regionals for X-wing, I've only just picked up the drat game but already I'm contemplating a 100 point list to take along (assuming it's going to be around that points value)

This of course does mean I'm going to have to get lots of games in for practice :v:

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Has there been any mention as to what is coming in the future for this game?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

LumberingTroll posted:

Has there been any mention as to what is coming in the future for this game?

Wave 3 (and that's only a rumor from people who claim to be doing playtesting). Other than that, no.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
I was actually thinking what could be in store for the future of this game. In terms of 'famous' starfighters left, there's the B-Wing and the TIE Bomber which makes for an obvious bomber expansion pack. After that, you're pretty much left with EU crap like the TIE Defender or the V-Wing.

I couldn't actually think of any 'big name deluxe' expansion ships like the Millenium Falcon or Slave 1 that they could release.

Capital Ships would be cool too but since the game is to scale they would be ridiculously expensive. It'd be sick to have an 80 point star destroyer though.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

ChewyLSB posted:

I was actually thinking what could be in store for the future of this game. In terms of 'famous' starfighters left, there's the B-Wing and the TIE Bomber which makes for an obvious bomber expansion pack. After that, you're pretty much left with EU crap like the TIE Defender or the V-Wing.

I couldn't actually think of any 'big name deluxe' expansion ships like the Millenium Falcon or Slave 1 that they could release.

Capital Ships would be cool too but since the game is to scale they would be ridiculously expensive. It'd be sick to have an 80 point star destroyer though.

There's prequel trilogy ships as well. EU stuff is fine as long as it's neat looking.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
Right I was thinking about the prequel clone wars stuff too, that would almost be two new factions to me, though, although I don't know if there's enough Republic ships (maybe from the EU) to make a whole faction out of the prequel era sides.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Don't forget the purposeful naming of the Falcon and Slave 1 as "medium" ships to allow growth into god knows what as "large."

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Could get some cross-faction ships, like Gunboats and Missileboats, and also poo poo like Skipray Blastboats.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Carteret posted:

Don't forget the purposeful naming of the Falcon and Slave 1 as "medium" ships to allow growth into god knows what as "large."

Except that the rulebooks that come with those ships refer to them as "large" in the section describing how they interact with ion tokens and how they can be positioned at the start of the game. I really don't think anything larger is going to come along.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Imperial Shuttle could probably be a good big ship that's instantly recognisable.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
There are also TONS of neutral cannon ships, if anyone remembers JTL from the SWG days :(

I hope for all that is right in this world that they do NOT do clone wars era stuff.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Clone Wars era is the part of Star Wars that's actually popular with people under 30, though.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
True but Ep VII is coming and its post original trilogy, now would be a great time to help drive more interest (not that its really needed)

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'm probably not buying any ships that aren't part of the original three movies so I'm glad I'm not going to have to buy anything after wave three for the most part.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Devlan Mud posted:

I'm probably not buying any ships that aren't part of the original three movies so I'm glad I'm not going to have to buy anything after wave three for the most part.

There are no prequels.

I'd like a tydirium class shuttle though. Give it imperial stats and stolen rebel stats, stick that in a wave with the b-wing and a tie bomber and call it a day.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I'd still like things that were in the old X-Wing and TIE Fighter video games, like the Z-95 Headhunter. PEW PEW PEW.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Movies (OT) only restricts you to B-Wings and TIE bombers in small scale, maybe a Shuttle as a neutral or Imperial Only.

If you add in some old EU stuff (like the old Xwing games) you can get some cool new imperial toys like TIE Defenders and Missile Boats, and Z95 Headhunters as neutral or Rebel only.

I wouldn't mind seeing the entire lineup from the Rogue Squadron games as minis, toss in Snowspeeders for ground based missions, a V-Wing, a Naboo Starfighter and a Ep. 2 Jedi Starfighter. And hell, if you gave me the Buick as a mini, I would put it in every single squad ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Yeah; Z-95, TIE Defender, TIE Avenger (aka TIE Advanced, but we already have the Advanced x1), Assault Gunboat, Lambda Shuttle would all fit just from the X-Wing and TIE Figher computer games. The E-Wing wouldn't be a bad EU ship either, sort of fits in the middle of the X-, Y-, and A-Wings in terms of role and performance. Problem might end up being getting enough Rebel ships to use, unless they start era-jumping or give them lots of freighters.

• Locked thread