Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

spamman posted:

My friends and I once spent like 9 hours playing one mini game in Fusion Frenzy. That game had like three that were totally compelling for some reason.

Actually, Cel Damage was a lot of fun too when you had a few people there to play it.

Right, Fusion Frenzy was a staple of "2001-2004" Xbox nights when we didn't play Halo the rest of the time.

Also, Freedom Fighters was an ok game that one of my friends loved to play us in, probably because he was 50 times better than anyone else somehow. I'm pretty sure we were playing him just to beat him near the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skogul
Dec 29, 2012

I don't need no
****** tutorial!
I'll learn it in
the heat of battle!
I've watched every video of this LP and I really enjoy listening to you and BT. Your voices are just really soothing to listen. I know absolutely nothing about sports games but you guys make these look fun and interesting. :)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I've got to second giving Rising Zan a try. I think someone started an LP of it a while ago but abandoned it shortly thereafter, and you've certainly proven you can see all matter of games through to completion.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Glazius posted:

I've got to second giving Rising Zan a try. I think someone started an LP of it a while ago but abandoned it shortly thereafter, and you've certainly proven you can see all matter of games through to completion.

I actually have a rare condition called "AESG" or "Amazing at Extreme Sports Games", I can just pick up an extreme sports game and be really good at it in minutes, no other genre. Shooting games, nope, I'm bad. Puzzle games, can't do it, just can't.

Though I may do Rising Zan if blanktester and I get to karaoke the intro.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
On this episode, we infiltrate the evil-biker-gang controlled city of Slot City and do some... things. And stuff. And take a sidelong look into the abyss that is known as Mike Jones' face.

Freestyle Metal X Episode 7: Slot City

Text Link

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:
Oh yeah! Mike Jones! From that game that had Mike Jones in it!

Edit: AAAAAAAH

Melondog fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 27, 2013

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Yeeeuuuh, from the Freekstyle, like I said, I was hoping to continue the legacy, but it just didn't happen.

Though, of the two games, only Mike Jones and Clifford Adoptante are in both. Does that mean that this game has the most B-List cast ever? Because I definitely had not heard of Jeff Tilton or Nate Adams or Jeremy Stenburg before playing this.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
I remember seeing Mad Mike Jones on all of the ads they used to run whenever there was a motocross comp in town.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Whoa, looks like I lost track of time (and had none for the last few days).

Alright, you'll all have to wait for that coveted eighth level, since Johnny Demonic is forcing me to give him the big cash to proceed. This forces me to go to the Daredevil show, where I'll have to put my pride, and my character's neck on the line to complete the five challenges held within. Of course it's really not that dramatic, just go there, do minigames, get cash, but hey, I'm exercising all my storymaking skills to prepare for AproWriMo.

Freestyle Metal X Episode 8: Daredevil Shows

Text Link

Alright, the question demand for this episode is this: Find out the next Real-life Daredevil event that takes place in the Midwest, and secure blanktester and I two tickets to the event. We'll make a sweet trip report and post it as an FMX bonus update. If we actually go, that is.

Insetik fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 6, 2013

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

Xtreme daredevil training montage featuring a one-hit wonder from the 80s

Edit: Totally holding you to that promise around 14:45.

Melondog fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 6, 2013

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

IntelligentCalcium posted:

Xtreme daredevil training montage featuring a one-hit wonder from the 80s

Edit: Totally holding you to that promise around 14:45.

Ok maybe for more like 30 seconds but hey I really did just go learn the intro riffs to like 4 songs.

I'll solo the rest of the time.

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:colbert:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Some of those daredevil tricks look ridiculously difficult, but they don't really look to pay any better than the ones that are much easier.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Glazius posted:

Some of those daredevil tricks look ridiculously difficult, but they don't really look to pay any better than the ones that are much easier.

"Levels" in each Daredevil game:

Bus Jump: 6
Car Jump: 10
Loops: 10
Tunnel of Fire: 8
Wall of Death: 10

So while you can double-or-nothing your way up to 10,000 dollars in three of the events, Wall o Death is like impossible and Loop-de-loops will probably cause you to screw up way before you get to the end. So yes, the easiest event, car jump, can get you just as much cash as two of the tougher games.

Tunnel of Fire turned out to not be bad at all (I never actually had gone to the end of that before, I thought it would be... longer) but you can only get like 2,500 FMXbux with it. So do car jumping all the way, I guess.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
So what exactly was the challenge for the tunnel of fire? The driver didn't seem to mind rubbing his shoulder against the walls.

The money mechanic seems like one of those ideas that could have been expanded. Maybe if the bikes or the upgrades were noticeably different, or if levels required an entrance fee, the money could have been better utilized.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Alright, blanktester and I just laid down some sick heavy-metal-guitar-playing commentary for the next video. I'm going to apologize in advance for how absolutely terrible I am at riffs that I looked up how to play once and then practiced for 30 seconds before recording.

Mr. Highway posted:

So what exactly was the challenge for the tunnel of fire? The driver didn't seem to mind rubbing his shoulder against the walls.

The money mechanic seems like one of those ideas that could have been expanded. Maybe if the bikes or the upgrades were noticeably different, or if levels required an entrance fee, the money could have been better utilized.

I still think games like this where every bike can have the same stats kind of kills any diverseness. Thankfully, a good thing about the money mechanic is that you're not locked out of a level you unlocked if you drop back below the money requirement, so getting hospitalized on the next level about 10 times because falling in the water is so unbelievably damaging won't make you have to go out and get even more cash.

Oh yeah, and the Tunnel of Fire challenge was to... get to the end... yeah, the ramps kind of trivialized that one, didn't they?

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Alright, here we go. Just roll with it.

Freestyle Metal X Episode 9: Heavy Metal

Text Link

Special mention to The Circle Ends Here, which was the band I was trying to think of as I played that song. As I said, I know that an estimated 0 people care about my top 5 bands or whatever, but if you want to hear stuff I think is awesome, Coilguns, The March, and The Circle Ends Here are some good frantic heavy music (all are bandcamp links).

Also taking applications to be in any one of my 8 bands and/or collaborating on the FMX concept album, which I guess is now the ninth band. I'll send you the Guitar Pro files and you record that poo poo. PS blanktester and I are serious about also accepting WDC album-cover art, though I don't know why blanktester is so literal in what he wants. Anyways, enjoy the video maybe hopefully.

Enilev
Jun 11, 2001

Domesticated

Ovues posted:

Freestyle Metal X Episode 9: Heavy Metal

No Stairway? Denied.

The penalty for falling into water seems crazily disproportionate to anything else. I mean, it wouldn't be good for the bike, but if anything it's going to hurt you less than falling on concrete. Like that poor guy in the helicopter.

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

Not a bad piece of jamming there, goon sir.

Also laughing at one of the missions being to literally run people down. Especially given how they just magically accelerate away when you get too close. Good times.

Edit: Oh man with those giant spade logos on the rig you should've done some ACE OF SPADES.

Melondog fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Mar 11, 2013

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

IntelligentCalcium posted:

Not a bad piece of jamming there, goon sir.

Also laughing at one of the missions being to literally run people down. Especially given how they just magically accelerate away when you get too close. Good times.

Edit: Oh man with those giant spade logos on the rig you should've done some ACE OF SPADES.

That song's already in the game, sooooo yeah.

Also I swear to god I learned like 2 whole minutes of Seek And Destroy but just instantly forgot the pre-chorus as I started playing it. I shall now start a Metallica cover band as recompensation (band number 10, Me-tallica now also accepting audition tapes).

About the damage: Note that when I was in the engine room trying to jump through the moving hoops (which actually only activate when you shoo the birds off the power lines), I was also taking high damage from crashing into those. Maybe it's just a ramp-up-the-damage-of-everything-on-the-last-level type of thing.

Anyways, I can't wait to check the viewer retention of the video whenever the stats for those start showing up. If you came to see me feel shame, you came to the wrong neighborhood.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Me-tallica? More like Mehtallica.

a very nice paella
Oct 12, 2012

Kapitalism
I got bored and decided to make 2 Willem Dafoe's Cock album covers. Drawing naked people is way harder than it looks.

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/eMviAe0.jpg :nws:
:nws: http://i.imgur.com/KUbncGM.jpg :nws:

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
:drat:

I mean, :drat:!!!

You are I guess now the first submitter. You receive 1 Insetibuck. Spend it wisely on more WDC merchandise

blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

Also I saw my hand on blood lying on the ground, and I saw someone with device's like pile bunker and grind with evil smile

Krokerik posted:

I got bored and decided to make 2 Willem Dafoe's Cock album covers. Drawing naked people is way harder than it looks.

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/eMviAe0.jpg :nws:
:nws: http://i.imgur.com/KUbncGM.jpg :nws:

Eggcelent... Come on people, we can do more! Love the second one btw. Creative.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
As the sun rose up above the rolling hills of his family farm, Ronnie Faisst stood in front of the big air ramp. His motorcycle, which had been through so much with him over the past few days, stood there rumbling softly. In the serenity of the moment, no one could have guessed that a violent and tragic murder occurred not long ago in these hills.

Ronnie heard the sounds of another motorcycle driving up behind him. He didn't need to turn around; there was only one rider it could possibly be. The cackling demon who had taken everyone Ronnie loved away from him. The evil soul who has put the Faisst family's honor on the stakes of one final race for his own amusement. Johnny Demonic.

Johnny drove up next to Ronnie and parked his bike. He looked over at Ronnie and taunted him.

"You may have made it past my eight Lieutenants, but you have no chance of beating me! Hahahahahaha!"

Ronnie brushed off the taunts. He was far too determined to let anything get under his skin. "I will never forgive you for what you have done, Johnny. You laugh because you believe that you have taken everything from me. But in this race, I will banish you! I will have my family's honor back!"

Johnny just laughed maniacally. "Listen to yourself, you pathetic fool. When I win this race, everything will be mine. Your bike, your soul, and especially your girl..."

He paused as he gazed at Cindy, who was standing at the starting line with a black and white race flag. Cindy felt Johnny's creepy eyes staring her down, and a shiver ran up her spine. She looked over to Ronnie.

"Come on, Ronnie!" she shouted. "You can win. I know you can."

Ronnie nodded. He looked over at the demon standing next to him. "I'm ready. Are you?"

Johnny went wild with energy, laughing again as he revved his bike over and over. Ronnie looked back at the girl of his dreams as she walked out and stood in front of the two riders. She held the racing flag high in the air and began counting down.

"Three!" she shouted. Ronnie took one last look at his arch nemesis, who was still grinning from ear to ear.

"Two!" she said next. Ronnie gripped the handlebars of his motorcycle, the bike that had carried him from being a young boy to being a man.

"One!" Both rider's nerves were fired up. Ronnie closed his eyes. "This is for you, dad," he thought. "I will avenge you."

Cindy brought the flag down quickly. "GO!" she yelled as she waved it back and forth. Both riders took off, pushing their bikes to the limit. Ronnie took a deep breath. He had to win. This race was the most important race of his entire life. He had to win.

Freestyle Metal X Episode 10: Cross Country

Text Link

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
That was actually a pretty cool final race, visiting every level one after the other. Primal did something similar with each form of the Final Boss being fought in a different demon realm. Jenny Demonic :3:

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Sentences I cut out of my fanfic retelling of the chapter:

"Johnny drove up next to Ronnie and parked his bike, having a seizure on the seat. He also totally ended up not looking like a demon at all."

This game, guys, this game. That's all I can say. Why do the other riders spaz out at the start of each race? Why can't they just be in position? Why does any of this happen???

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

That sure was a thing...

The ending pales in comparison to Amon Ra's though; that's the best game ending of the thread.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
That was a really cool thing with going through all of the levels, but the game was just incredibly broken.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Well, to finish out Freestyle Metal X, here's a bonus video chock ful of whatever bonus stuff we could provide. In this mish-mash of material, blanktester creates a third lovely custom map, then proceeds to beat me easily in a game of human darts before we finally check out and riff on all the rider/poster babe/behind the scenes posters I had collected over the course of the LP. It's all just a little bit of this and a little bit of that.

Freestyle Metal X Bonus Episode: Grab Bag
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEYGoxSVcl0

Also, I have DEFINITELY chosen the next game to do and oooohhhhhh boy it's a doozy. Since it is also very, very under the radar, I'll offer a few hints as to what game it could be.

1: We're using a new method of transportation (AKA skateboards, bikes, watercraft) unseen before in this LP series
2: When TippingFourties played this, they all just wished they could be playing a better game.
3: "Dude, what if it snowed in San Francisco?"

Insetik fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 19, 2013

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth

Ovues posted:

3: "Dude, what if it snowed in San Francisco?"
I can only imagine how the ending is when that's the intro, hopefully it gives Razor Freestyle Scooter a run for its money for weirdest ending of the thread.

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

Oh please god tell me it's this.

Also I'm kind of disappointed that there are all sorts of compiled lists of the 'best' XTREEEEME sports games out there but nobody's bothered to do a 'worst' list. I guess we could point them at this thread?

Great job finishing up MetalX though. Nice map, BT.

Edit: Hahahaha excellent darts score.

Melondog fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 19, 2013

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I think with your fear of the Ocean and Blanktester stepping up to the plate to LP the next game it would be for the best if he could do an LP of Kelly Slater and commentated. Then through the power of friendship can we see the game come to life.

Teasing aside, I have thoroughly enjoyed the LP so far and is one of the few that I keep checking for updates. I find it fascinating how many games there have been in the X-treme00's.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Obviously Blanktester should start his own competing LP thread, where he plays every skateboarding game. I wonder who would run out of games to play first.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
New game time! Strap it in, and bring it on!

Let's Play Jonny Moseley...sigh...Maaaaaaad Trix!!!

What is this game?
Again, desperate to cash in on the ongoing Tony Hawk/SSX trend, another game company went and aquired the rights to make a video game out of an extreme sport. In this case, 3DO went out and got Jonny Moseley, 1998 Winter Olympics Moguls Skiing Gold Medalist, to be the face of a skiing video game. Armed with the 'well known figure' behind their product, 3DO set out to make mad dollars in the extreme sport video game market.

What went wrong?
LITERALLY EVERYTHING. This game is baaaaaaad. Floaty tricks, strange strange STRANGE physics, a high level of difficulty only compounded by all the physics poo poo you'll come across, a strange sense of speed that leaves you feeling really slow, minimal effort put into the levels, and a bunch of other smaller stuff.

Sooooo on a scale of 1 to 10, what does this game get?
Probably a 2 out of 10. It avoids getting a 1 because sometimes the physics gently caress up in such a hilarious way that the game, for a brief second, is actually entertaining.

Alright, after that, let's get right in.

Part 1: San Fran and Tahoe

Text Link

Insetik fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 23, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Better or worse than Razor Freestyle Scooter?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Be careful scraping the bottom of the barrel lest you inadvertently dig through it.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Endorph posted:

Better or worse than Razor Freestyle Scooter?

Yeah, kinda only finished half my sentence in there.

It's worse. RFS at least had logic behind everything.

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

Wow. I've seen better graphics on a PSX game. And the narrator naming off the tricks as you do them is amazing.

Also is it just me or does this whole thing seem really...slow? Like there doesn't appear to be any illusion of speed occurring despite it saying you're going like 50mph. (Edit: Oh wait you addressed this)

(Disappointed you're not doing the beranstain bears xtreme sports game)

Melondog fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
The level design at the Golden Gate Bridge was kind of neat with all the twisted metal and stuff. The graphics, physics, draw distance, and gameplay were still terrible.

• Locked thread