Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
seas0npass for 5.2 is out!

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/02/14/how-to-jailbreak-ios-6-1-5-2-apple-tv-2/

Right on time for me since I was forced to upgrade after my ATV2 stopped booting for no reason.

Anyone have any Skin recommendations for XBMC on the ATV2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Feenix posted:

On a Mac you can use MP4Tools.. It works in a fraction of the time handbrake does.
MP4Tools will still have to reencode xvid to put it into an m4v container, so it shouldn't save much (if any) time.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

MP4Tools will still have to reencode xvid to put it into an m4v container, so it shouldn't save much (if any) time.

Maybe. Alls I know is that in the instances I've used mp4tools it's been minutes, and when I use handbrake it's usually hours...

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Feenix posted:

Maybe. Alls I know is that in the instances I've used mp4tools it's been minutes, and when I use handbrake it's usually hours...
Sure, if you're remuxing from h.264 inside an MKV container. That simply grabs the h.264 video stream and drops it into an M4V. If he's coming from Xvid he has no choice but to reencode, which MP4Tools will actually do a worse job of since I've found its x264 settings less than ideal.

I keep and use Handbrake, MP4Tools, and Subler for conversion purposes since none of them are jack-of-all-trades.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Sure, if you're remuxing from h.264 inside an MKV container. That simply grabs the h.264 video stream and drops it into an M4V. If he's coming from Xvid he has no choice but to reencode, which MP4Tools will actually do a worse job of since I've found its x264 settings less than ideal.

I keep and use Handbrake, MP4Tools, and Subler for conversion purposes since none of them are jack-of-all-trades.

This is correct. The first time I left it at default settings and it attempted to use "passthru" for video and audio. It was quite fast but the file it saved was zero bytes. I changed it to 1-pass and the file worked, but like you said it was about the same speed as Handbrake.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I have been using "Beamer" to play from the Mac to ATV and it works great. I have an older MBP so it won't do the screen sharing etc.

It's on sale now too since they just added Dolby digital support: http://beamer-app.us2.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=d185b00686e612ca5cc00fbb3&id=ef7c0716dd&e=fd85340815

Link should have the price less the $5.1 discount.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Fair point! Didn't think of all that.... :)

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Huh. These are 264 encoded mkvs, but they are still taking their sweet time turning into .m4vs in handbrake. Maybe my crappy quad core Athlon II is really showing its age.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

They're going to take a while in Handbrake regardless of the source material. Handbrake will always reencode. You should be using MP4Tools or Subler to go from h.264 MKV to M4V.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

I've been using iVI (http://www.southpolesoftware.com/iVI/iVI.php ) to remux mkvs and add them to iTunes for awesome Apple TV streaming. However, recently I've noticed it isn't finding meta data for TV shows that should be really obvious (Survivor26E02.mkv). When it doesn't find the meta data, it seems to refuse to remux them.

I've tried switching between the TVDB and Tag Chimp, but I'm still getting a lot of episodes that won't find meta data. Anyone have a fix for this? There's an option for an external plugin, but I couldn't find much on google. It seems like it won't even let me enter it manually which is pretty obnoxious. Halp!

Turnquiet posted:

Huh. These are 264 encoded mkvs, but they are still taking their sweet time turning into .m4vs in handbrake. Maybe my crappy quad core Athlon II is really showing its age.

Give iVI a try. Make sure you select "pass through" and it will simply remux (rather than re-encode) mkvs and throw them in iTunes nicely tagged for you. Takes my iMac around a minute thirty for a 30 minute TV show.

tonic fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Feb 24, 2013

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Anyone have any Skin recommendations for XBMC on the ATV2?

Good lord it's great to have XBMC back in my living room but I second your question... the stock ones downloadable through the "get more" tab are mostly slow as hell. I can't tell if that's because they have too many bells and whistles enabled for the atv to handle, or if the 12.0 port (as of last night) is still too fresh for snappy switches on a large library.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

slomomofo posted:

Good lord it's great to have XBMC back in my living room but I second your question... the stock ones downloadable through the "get more" tab are mostly slow as hell. I can't tell if that's because they have too many bells and whistles enabled for the atv to handle, or if the 12.0 port (as of last night) is still too fresh for snappy switches on a large library.

I've used a couple but I think the Quartz skin is the fastest I've used that still has some style to it.
I know some people love Xeebo as well.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Refocus Big is my fav skin. It has a few flaws but overall the best looking.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Thanks! I put Quartz on and it definitely makes worlds of difference, speed-wise.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Chek out Metropolis as well, it's pretty lightweight if you stick to simpler view types (also, if the skin supports it, disable view types that you don't use).

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
Is there a way to see the iTunes Extras on my Apple TV? I can't seem to find the option.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

gypsyshred posted:

Is there a way to see the iTunes Extras on my Apple TV? I can't seem to find the option.

Apparently this was only possible on the AppleTV 1 (It was removed from the iOS-based AppleTV OS's)

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Every day I try to use my AppleTV as an HTPC replacement, I just get frustrated as poo poo.

XBMC runs like a turd on an ATV2.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Bucket Joneses posted:

Every day I try to use my AppleTV as an HTPC replacement, I just get frustrated as poo poo.

XBMC runs like a turd on an ATV2.

You trying to run 1080p content and find that it's dogging, or you just don't like the interface?
When it runs, for me, it runs great. Something always fundamentally breaks about the install during upgrade though, and I just lean on Plex.

Edit: "10% of the time, it runs great 100% of the time"; sorry.
Edit 2: In this regard, I concede to your original statement. It does make a really poor HTPC. Best and only use as a client for other streams.

kuskus fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 11, 2013

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

kuskus posted:

You trying to run 1080p content and find that it's dogging, or you just don't like the interface?
When it runs, for me, it runs great. Something always fundamentally breaks about the install during upgrade though, and I just lean on Plex.

Edit: "10% of the time, it runs great 100% of the time"; sorry.

Nah, not even 1080p content. I only try to view 720p mkvs at most.

It's just not powerful enough, though. You can't background a playing video without it chugging along. Even though I update the build regularly, it still crashes a lot and often times the only way to fix it is to get up and plug/unplug the power to it like some kind of caveman.

Add to that, my remote for it magically stopped working. When you press buttons, the light blinks on the ATV like it's receiving the signal but nothing happens. Replaced the battery and still the same thing. It doesn't even work on the regular iOS screens, so it's not an XBMC-related issue.

Also, updating the firmware on it is way more difficult than it should be (or maybe it's just me?). Every time I try to do it from within the device it says there's no update to install (false!) so I have to connect it to my computer and do it through iTunes...

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 11, 2013

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Sell your appletv2 for $200+ and buy a Zotac AD10

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

I plan to replace it with some flavor of Zotac or other nettop, but that's just going to introduce another slew of headaches.

That's the one thing I really like about using the ATV for XBMC; because it's such a basic device there's not really a whole to tweak or futz with. Once I get into OpenELEC/XBMCubuntu/Windows who the gently caress knows what problems I'll run into.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
I just want plex back :(

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty

Don Lapre posted:

Seriously considering doing something like this, but is there a device i can run both XBMC and Netflix on? I really only use the ATV for netflix nowadays, since i have a separate nettop for xbmc, but netflix wont run on the nettop. I just want to have one device for everything. Seems impossible.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Atarian posted:

Seriously considering doing something like this, but is there a device i can run both XBMC and Netflix on? I really only use the ATV for netflix nowadays, since i have a separate nettop for xbmc, but netflix wont run on the nettop. I just want to have one device for everything. Seems impossible.

I am pretty sure you can do both (as well as Hulu and Amazon Instant) on a PS3.

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty

Suqit posted:

I am pretty sure you can do both (as well as Hulu and Amazon Instant) on a PS3.

Wait, you can install XBMC on a ps3?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Atarian posted:

If your nettop runs Windows8, Netflix should run with no trouble as far as I'm aware (have not personally verified this, though).

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Bucket Joneses posted:

I plan to replace it with some flavor of Zotac or other nettop, but that's just going to introduce another slew of headaches.

That's the one thing I really like about using the ATV for XBMC; because it's such a basic device there's not really a whole to tweak or futz with. Once I get into OpenELEC/XBMCubuntu/Windows who the gently caress knows what problems I'll run into.

If all you use it for is XBMC then you can use openelec and be up and running in 15-20 minutes.

Bucket Joneses posted:

If your nettop runs Windows8, Netflix should run with no trouble as far as I'm aware (have not personally verified this, though).

Windows 8 netflix app yes, but then you need a mouse to control it with. The silverlight netflix doesn't work on lots of things properly due to silverlights absolute poo poo gpu acceleration.

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty

Bucket Joneses posted:

Sorry to keep derailing this thread, but I have tried the netflix app on windows 8 on the net top. its a bit choppy, and if the netflix gui overlay is invoked, the whole screen gets garbled. That, and it cant be operated via remote.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

tonic posted:

I've been using iVI (http://www.southpolesoftware.com/iVI/iVI.php ) to remux mkvs and add them to iTunes for awesome Apple TV streaming. However, recently I've noticed it isn't finding meta data for TV shows that should be really obvious (Survivor26E02.mkv). When it doesn't find the meta data, it seems to refuse to remux them.

I've tried switching between the TVDB and Tag Chimp, but I'm still getting a lot of episodes that won't find meta data. Anyone have a fix for this? There's an option for an external plugin, but I couldn't find much on google. It seems like it won't even let me enter it manually which is pretty obnoxious. Halp!

Give iVI a try. Make sure you select "pass through" and it will simply remux (rather than re-encode) mkvs and throw them in iTunes nicely tagged for you. Takes my iMac around a minute thirty for a 30 minute TV show.

Anything like this for Windows?

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
I really don't get what the issue is running XBMC on ATV2. I've been doing it for 2 years now without major issues. I have the latest XBMC on the latest iOS, and the only thing it chokes on is wmv files.

Wired network off my Mac Mini fileserver (with drives hooked up via USB) and it plays fine. Perhaps you need a different skin? I know that a lot of the high-shiny-graphic ones make the ATV dog out - but the basic Confluence one works fine.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Kenderama posted:

I really don't get what the issue is running XBMC on ATV2. I've been doing it for 2 years now without major issues. I have the latest XBMC on the latest iOS, and the only thing it chokes on is wmv files.

Wired network off my Mac Mini fileserver (with drives hooked up via USB) and it plays fine. Perhaps you need a different skin? I know that a lot of the high-shiny-graphic ones make the ATV dog out - but the basic Confluence one works fine.

My biggest issue was that it chokes on 1080p files.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Don Lapre posted:

My biggest issue was that it chokes on 1080p files.

*nod* Unsurprising since the ATV can only handle 720p anyways.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Kenderama posted:

I have the latest XBMC on the latest iOS, and the only thing it chokes on is wmv files.
How'd you install it? You using nitoTV to manage the package, or did you just add a source in ssh and use APT? Mind telling me which source?

Once I Seas0npass'd / nitoTV'd, XBMC is fine until apt-get update/upgrade, then it's-a brokles. Hitting the icon just reboots the aTV2.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Kenderama posted:

*nod* Unsurprising since the ATV can only handle 720p anyways.

Yea, its unsurprising, but if you have other xbmc devices in the house and you want 1080p then you gotta have 720p copies for the appletv also.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 12, 2013

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Kenderama posted:

I'm using the stock skin and am pulling content from a Synology DS411. Both the ATV and the NAS are wired to the same router.

It's just not very snappy. The interface lags and it takes what I consider to be "too much time" to load things like metadata and posters/album art.

Add to that it's just not as extensible as running XBMC on a more robust system. A lot of plugins and added features don't work on the ATV and emulators are completely out of the question.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

kuskus posted:

How'd you install it? You using nitoTV to manage the package, or did you just add a source in ssh and use APT? Mind telling me which source?

Once I Seas0npass'd / nitoTV'd, XBMC is fine until apt-get update/upgrade, then it's-a brokles. Hitting the icon just reboots the aTV2.

I used Seasonpass to JB, then did a command line install of xbmc following the instructions in the xbmc forums. I've got two ATV2's now (after a nice trade for some computer hardware) and have the same experience with both.

neonburzt
Jul 25, 2010
I've been reading a lot about the Roku 3 especially their new remote with a headphone jack. It sucks that the atv3 supports BT keyboards but not audio. Does anyone know how I can emulate the roku's wireless audio on the atv?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Jailbreak an iOS device and make it an AirPlay target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonburzt
Jul 25, 2010

Jailbreak an iOS device and make it an AirPlay target.

Followed your advice by jailbreaking my ipad and doing a bunch of google searches for those terms. Works really well after setting the Airplay target to the ipad at the atv menu. Thanks man.

• Locked thread